daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2005, 09:58 AM   #61
stand by me
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=zulu69]The prob is that Melb was once the top dog in OZ because of the gold rush way back say 100 yrs ago. Ever since Sydney has taken over and has now reached such heights that it is now a global city that doesnt compete with OZ but in the world. *Some* (and i do mean some) still have hostility of that fact... dont really understand why tho, we are all aussie's????
Mate get your hand off it.
All the my OS freinds that have visited both cities also prefer Melbourne just as ssigyt2 said.
I know its hard for some of you from Sydney to get a handle on this but its true!
BTW whats a "global city"?? Please explain.
stand by me no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM   #62
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

^ok 'global city' (i thought it was quite self explanatory) is a city that is well integrated into the global economy, is able to have some imaginary prestige, recognised around the world by pictures, etc. That may be a simple explaination, but i can't be bothered 'humoring' you. I think you know exactly what i meant.
Heres a link here to better inform you.

And to get the record straight i like Melb too. I like Madrid much more than Melb or Sydney. Its all based on ppl's taste's. Many of my friends from oversea's liked Sydney. If you think Sydney is the devil, fine, if its the worst city on earth, ok, it's utter crap, thats your taste.
I was merely answering why there is so much hatred from melb ppl towards Sydney thats all. Obviously you fall into the *some* category that i mentioned. If you even bothered to growup and read my post as Lightning~Bolt did, you would realise that i was providing HISTORIC fact. So live with it ok?
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #63
beiklopa
Madge, I wanna confess...

nice tower, thought really crappy name .
beiklopa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM   #64
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiklopa
Eureka is the greatest name. Have you ever heard of Archimedes??

Archimedes (ärkĭmē´dēz) , 287—212 , Greek mathematician, physicist, and inventor. He is famous for his work in geometry (on the circle, sphere, cylinder, and parabola), physics, mechanics, and hydrostatics. He lived most of his life in his native Syracuse, where he was on intimate terms with the royal family. Few facts of his life are known, but tradition has made at least two stories famous. In one story, he was asked by Hiero II to determine whether a crown was pure gold or was alloyed with silver. Archimedes was perplexed, until one day, observing the overflow of water in his bath, he suddenly realized that since gold is more dense (i.e., has more weight per volume) than silver, a given weight of gold represents a smaller volume than an equal weight of silver and that a given weight of gold would therefore displace less water than an equal weight of silver. Delighted at his discovery, he ran home without his clothes, shouting "Eureka," which means "I have found it." He found that Hiero's crown displaced more water than an equal weight of gold, thus showing that the crown had been alloyed with silver (or another metal less dense than gold). In the other story he is said to have told Hiero, in illustration of the principle of the lever, "Give me a place to stand, and I will move the world." He invented machines of war (Second Punic War) so ingenious that the besieging armies of Marcus Claudius Marcellus were held off from Syracuse for three years. When the city was taken, the general gave orders to spare the scientist, but Archimedes was killed. Nine of Archimedes' treatises, which demonstrate his discoveries in mathematics and in floating bodies, are extant. They are On the Sphere and Cylinder, On the Measurement of the Circle, On the Equilibrium of Planes, On Conoids and Spheroids, On Spirals, On the Quadrature of the Parabola, Arenarius [or sand-reckoner], On Floating Bodies, and On the Method of Mechanical Theorems. Archimedes' many contributions to mathematics and mechanics include calculating the value of π, devising a mathematical exponential system to express extremely large numbers (he said he could numerically represent the grains of sand that would be needed to fill the universe), developing Archimedes' principle, and inventing Archimedes' screw.

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:28 AM   #65
salamagd

Quote:
Crappy name? Now that's something I certainly haven't heard before! Do tell?

edit: Pipped at the post!
salamagd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM   #66
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

Keep Eureka comming, cannot wait for the Observation deck to open up!
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM   #67
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Don't worry, he's from Dubai.......
Anyways, they're both looking good. I'm really liking the step down happening on Q1. Still not sure about those white stripes or that spire on Eureka though. I love the gold top in that render but!
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM   #68
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc8
It's true that Avatar says some pretty stupid things sometimes and is completely blind to the achievements of other cities but by responding in this manner, you've brought yourself down to his level and beyond.
I was responding to another post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't bringing sydney to the debate for any reason other than to respond to Grollos height comparison post. I wasn't the one who came into this thread and started sprouting comparitive building heights primarily to show superiority. I thought it was unnecessary.

I have never been blind to other cities achievements - hell I love Eureka more than any building in Australia - I think Melbourne's buildings are of a quality and general style that shit all over Sydney's - yes it's true I think the cladding on Q1 is horrid but in all honesty why would anyone think I was blind to the achievments of other Australian cities - I would have thought it the opposite - I am more critical and less forgiving of Sydney. I have never argued that Melbourne is Australias style capital and Sydney Australia's trash capital - I just wish our buildings here were as progressive as those in Melbourne.

Some of you have me completely misread me I think, either that or you really don't have a clue what i'm about at all. To infer I am a self centred Sydneysider who thinks the world doesn't exist beyound Sydney is ridiculous - I dont really even like Sydney that much - it's faults are plentiful and getting worse. I have frequently taken an interest in our other cities and even some of the regional centres. The quality of architecture in Melbourne shows just how revolting our (Sydney's) buildings are.

I rarely say stupid things.

Last edited by Avatar; March 1st, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #69
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

Eureka without stripes would look awful.

Eureka with ESB. Thanks Cullwulla
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM   #70
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

Zulu69, thanks for the clarification .
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM   #71
maybach
Advertise here. Call now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu69
The prob is that Melb was once the top dog in OZ because of the gold rush way back say 100 yrs ago. Ever since Sydney has taken over and has now reached such heights that it is now a global city that doesnt compete with OZ but in the world. *Some* (and i do mean some) still have hostility of that fact... dont really understand why tho, we are all aussie's????
I'm not a native of Melbourne and when I came to Melbourne I never knew of any hostilities towards Sydney. It was only when I stayed in Sydney on assignment for 9 months did I feel the hostility towards Melbourne. The forever snide remarks on Melbourne's weather (always telling us to take the rain back with us), name calling (Mexicans? Puh-lease....!). I left Sydney thinking it is THEY who have a chip on their shoulder. Melbournians for all I know are quiet and content until spurred on by their Sydney counterparts.

maybach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM   #72
Blue_Copper

Likes (Received): 1

lol ^ Sydney gets more rain then melbourne . and shut the F*%k up im sick of hearing about Sydney Vs. Melbourne THEY ARE BOTH WORLD CITIES have you ever read an atlas or watched the news! and as for ppl not knowing about Sydney till the olympics Please!!! come on stop being a dick.
Blue_Copper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:33 PM   #73
maybach
Advertise here. Call now.

I'm only quoting what Sydney people said to me OK? I know Sydney has more rain. No need for the F word. And I do agree... stop the freakin' fight between the two cities.
maybach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM   #74
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybach
I'm not a native of Melbourne and when I came to Melbourne I never knew of any hostilities towards Sydney. It was only when I stayed in Sydney on assignment for 9 months did I feel the hostility towards Melbourne. The forever snide remarks on Melbourne's weather (always telling us to take the rain back with us), name calling (Mexicans? Puh-lease....!). I left Sydney thinking it is THEY who have a chip on their shoulder. Melbournians for all I know are quiet and content until spurred on by their Sydney counterparts.

u summed it up perfectly.
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM   #75
Lightning~Bolt
Proud "Pricktorian"

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermaloney
lol ^ Sydney gets more rain then melbourne . and shut the F*%k up im sick of hearing about Sydney Vs. Melbourne THEY ARE BOTH WORLD CITIES have you ever read an atlas or watched the news! and as for ppl not knowing about Sydney till the olympics Please!!! come on stop being a dick.

its true that the general public of cities around the world had heard of sydney but did not know it was in australia, thats the honest truth, but it was mainly arrogant americans who dont care about any other place but thier own, heck its the same with melbourne, it was not really a well known city until probably the last decade or even less, thats just me going on conversations in chat rooms etc. before and after the 2000 olympics.

and FYI the rivarly between sydney and melbourne has always existed and always will, and why not? both cities compete for things all the time, and are the two leading cities in australia.

For example heres a quote from a site:

"A fierce rivalry exists between the cities of Melbourne and Sydney, but local residents bask in the satisfying knowledge that Melbourne beats Sydney hands-down on the cultural front, noted for its wide variety of high standard performing arts, as well as its sport."

http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Victoria/Melbourne

so its a well known fact around the world that the rivarly exists, its just whether you chose to enter it or not.
If nothing else, I think that anyone visiting the forum will take comfort in the fact of knowing that no matter how low their own IQ may be, by comparison to the morons in that forum, they're practically geniuses.
Lightning~Bolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM   #76
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Drunkill, i've seen that render before without the stripes. My opinion is maybe they could have had a completely different facade that would look good without stripes. Anyhow, no point going on about it. I like the top gold section alot though. Can't wait to see it fininshed.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #77
mic

Likes (Received): 474

mic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #78
chex
BANNED

i dont like the stripes that much...
chex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #79
vytux
fridge magnet collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic
Is this pic from Kings Way?
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #80
360 Modena
F1.06

see below the crown towers, the car park. thats on the left-hand side of king street if you'rre heading for the Rialto. =)