daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Ana Afonso

Likes (Received): 0

Ever been lost in an airport?

Hi everyone!
Have you ever had a stressful airport experience due to poor signage? If yes, where?
Ana Afonso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #2
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Not in my case. But, what can really get me lost and dazed would be the last-minute gate changes wherein, at anytime, airlines flying in and out of large hub airports (like SFO, LAX, or JFK) can swap gates for their flights at anytime, causing confusion for transit passengers and those needing to get to their gates quickly.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Not in my case. But, what can really get me lost and dazed would be the last-minute gate changes wherein, at anytime, airlines flying in and out of large hub airports (like SFO, LAX, or JFK) can swap gates for their flights at anytime, causing confusion for transit passengers and those needing to get to their gates quickly.
Thank you for your reply and feedback.
That sure sounds like something annoying to deal with!
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #4
th1
ambient

Likes (Received): 614

Not lost, but almost late to my flight. I had to wait for something like 4 hours for the flight and i kept hearing those announcements that this and that is late to flight and this is the last call. And it was like that like every few minutes. I was thinking to my self how stupid someone has to be not to hear his name four times and be so late to the flight. Well it so happened that i went to for a walk on duty free shops and did not hear my own name four times. They called me fifth and the last time and only then i heard it and freaked out. Good thing my mother was begging the staff to call my name one more time
th1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5628

When I went to Denmark I had to change flights in Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport and I got lost for quite some time trying to find my flight to Copenhage, and every time I asked the guidance staff they told me something different! I finally found my flight just when people were boarding the plane
Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Ana Afonso

@Guajiro1 & @th1: Thanks for your feedback guys!
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #7
marinski

Likes (Received): 14

once i missed my flight to hamburg from prague, due to bad weather conditions but also i had to wait in the line forever, but..they were nice and gave me a pass to hilton for the night and i watched barcelona real madrid in the lobby with some crazy english men
marinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:45 AM   #8
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

The closest I have been lost in an airport was connecting in Frankfurt where I had to go up and down a flight of stairs just to change planes.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The closest I have been lost in an airport was connecting in Frankfurt where I had to go up and down a flight of stairs just to change planes.
I've heard more stories regarding Frankfurt airport. It seems like a confusing airport.
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:15 PM   #10
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Vancouver has horrible signage. I've almost missed a couple connections there.

They also have organization/staff problems, like the employee that waved overseas arrivals away from the US customs entry to the regular Canadian Customs, counter to what everyone from the flight attendant to Canadian Customs said should have happened.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:19 PM   #11
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

Guangzhou Baiyun has terrible signage as well. I didn't quite get lost, but I had to backtrack a couple times to figure it out. Customs proceedings are atrocious.
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM   #12
Ana Afonso

@marinski What a great turnaround of events
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Vancouver has horrible signage. I've almost missed a couple connections there.

They also have organization/staff problems, like the employee that waved overseas arrivals away from the US customs entry to the regular Canadian Customs, counter to what everyone from the flight attendant to Canadian Customs said should have happened.
True about Vancouver. Heard horrible experiences there due to bad signage… Also, i've noticed that staff incompetence seems to be a big problem in many airports around the world.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:14 PM   #14
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Come to think of it, many workers who work at airports are contractual, if not non-unionized (despite the fact that those are publicly-owned and funded)... some of the jobs there have been contracted out to private firms, which in turn could have no unions in the first place, hence their services may not be on par with others.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Come to think of it, many workers who work at airports are contractual, if not non-unionized (despite the fact that those are publicly-owned and funded)... some of the jobs there have been contracted out to private firms, which in turn could have no unions in the first place, hence their services may not be on par with others.
Valid Point
Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #16
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Frankfurt.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:01 PM   #17
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 397

Thank God I have so far never been lost at any airport. I just follow the signs and look at the terminal maps.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:04 PM   #18
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

I've been lost in London Heathrow and Paris CDG.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM   #19
SkySquirrel

Likes (Received): 7

I sort of did once, at the rather small airport in Dayton, Ohio, USA (DAY).

I'd just arrived on a puddle jumper. I was one of the last ones off the plane, and I followed the passenger in front of me into the terminal. But that turned out to be a mistake! You see, the passenger in front of me was an employee of either the airport or the airline, and all the other passengers were gone by then. I followed the (likely non-uniformed) employee through a door that led into a corridor of airport offices or something. From there, another door opened back into the concourse. Only the employee was permitted to do that! As an "ordinary" passenger, I was supposed to hike up an austere-looking flight of stairs to the second-level concourse, only to head right back down an escalator about 20 yards/meters away. I was already at the door leading back to the concourse, if not completely through it, when the employee and perhaps one other official took notice, and were seriously taken aback at my error! I guess they quickly realized I'd made an honest mistake and let me go through. I have to wonder how much interrogation, if not outright arrest, I'd have been subjected to if this had happened post-9/11.

Ironically, that concourse was all ground-level once upon a time. There were some ground-level hold rooms for commuter flights, but it seemed that this airport was getting so many puddle-jumpers by then (as is common with smaller airports) that they had to "borrow" one on the second floor.

The stairway was not really well marked as such; in fact I think it was just some service stairs or even an emergency exit that was hastily re-purposed for commuter flights. You may have even had to haul your luggage up the stairs, if this was one of those flights where you claim your baggage right there on the tarmac.
SkySquirrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2429

I had problems at Moscow Sheremetyevo. Could be also because I landed 3 AM and I was damn sleepy.