daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:33 PM   #21
Ana Afonso

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I've been lost in London Heathrow and Paris CDG.
For sure Heathrow and CDG are one of the worse airports in terms of signage. And it's strange cause despite constant user complaints about it the administration of those airports doesn't seem to be concern on changing / improving that.
Ana Afonso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySquirrel View Post
I sort of did once, at the rather small airport in Dayton, Ohio, USA (DAY).

I'd just arrived on a puddle jumper. I was one of the last ones off the plane, and I followed the passenger in front of me into the terminal. But that turned out to be a mistake! You see, the passenger in front of me was an employee of either the airport or the airline, and all the other passengers were gone by then. I followed the (likely non-uniformed) employee through a door that led into a corridor of airport offices or something. From there, another door opened back into the concourse. Only the employee was permitted to do that! As an "ordinary" passenger, I was supposed to hike up an austere-looking flight of stairs to the second-level concourse, only to head right back down an escalator about 20 yards/meters away. I was already at the door leading back to the concourse, if not completely through it, when the employee and perhaps one other official took notice, and were seriously taken aback at my error! I guess they quickly realized I'd made an honest mistake and let me go through. I have to wonder how much interrogation, if not outright arrest, I'd have been subjected to if this had happened post-9/11.

Ironically, that concourse was all ground-level once upon a time. There were some ground-level hold rooms for commuter flights, but it seemed that this airport was getting so many puddle-jumpers by then (as is common with smaller airports) that they had to "borrow" one on the second floor.

The stairway was not really well marked as such; in fact I think it was just some service stairs or even an emergency exit that was hastily re-purposed for commuter flights. You may have even had to haul your luggage up the stairs, if this was one of those flights where you claim your baggage right there on the tarmac.
It seems like it was a stressful experience...
Old December 5th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #23
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Chicago O'Hare. I hate that airport. I always seem cursed there. In the past it was due to storms, but the last time I had a connection in another terminal and my flight came late. I had to go as fast as I could to get there. Thankfully I made it but I initially got lost and went the opposite way.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #24
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Regarding Chicago O' Hare I always thought it was sort of stupid that they forced all of the arriving international flights to use Terminal 5 as opposed to Terminals 1 & 3 for OneWorld and Star Alliance members especially since many people are on connecting flights.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #25
Ana Afonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Chicago O'Hare. I hate that airport. I always seem cursed there. In the past it was due to storms, but the last time I had a connection in another terminal and my flight came late. I had to go as fast as I could to get there. Thankfully I made it but I initially got lost and went the opposite way.
It's awful being lost in an airport… Good you didn't lost your flight though!
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #26
becs
t3h s3x

Likes (Received): 2282

Paris CDG...
becs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #27
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Frankfurt.

I walked down trough the long tunnel. Later I found out they had a sort of skytrain.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote