daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

MISC | Loading Gauge (diagrams, maps & news)

A thread for education, discussions, diagrams, maps and news about railways' loading gauge.

The loading gauge is how wide and tall the space for the trains is above the tracks. NOT how far apart the tracks are (that's the rail gauge, for which there is another thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1131479). Many countries have several loading gauges, even on tracks with the same track gauge. Restrictive loading gauges are the reason the UK can't run the same double decker trains that e.g. the Netherlands use even though many UK lines are very crowded and from a capacity viewpoint needs double deckers - the trains would hit low bridges and possible scrape tunnel sides & platforms in curves.
Altering loading gauge (upwards) is usually very expensive since it means re-digging tunnels, re-building bridges (including ramps to the bridges) and so forth and is seldom done. Sometimes it is though and news of such would fit this thread perfectly.

I have looked up this topic before and not found good maps nor good diagrams showing the different loading gauges and where they are used. So, if you find any - post 'em here!

Here's the wiki link btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Swede; January 12th, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I have looked up this topic before and not found good maps nor good diagrams showing the different loading gauges and where they are used. So, if you find any - post 'em here!

Here's the wiki link btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge
Such a map would be interesting indeed. I guess that in Europe the network with the bigest loading gauge would be Eurotunnel..
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #3
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Such a map would be interesting indeed. I guess that in Europe the network with the bigest loading gauge would be Eurotunnel..
I would vote for Betuweroute, which supposedly is adapted for double stacking of containers in the future.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM   #4
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotaN View Post
I would vote for Betuweroute, which supposedly is adapted for double stacking of containers in the future.
But currently it's loading gauge are restricted by energized 25 kV catenary, which are hanged intentionally lower for now, so stock locomotives can use the line without installing extra pantograph.

So in terms of actualu usable loading gauge T of 1520/1524 neetwork is a winner I suppose:

-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Aaraldi

Likes (Received): 2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTze View Post

Structure gauge for single and double track non-electrified line.

Structure gauge for single and double track electrified line.

source: http://doc.mbalib.com/view/9d1f95449...c2141f51e.html
Chinese National Railway Class I Standard structure and loading gauge - used apart from China in Ethiopia and Kenya.

Swede liked this post
Aaraldi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

If I'm reading those right the basic shape for the loading gauge is 5.5 meters tall and 4.88 meters wide (single track) with top corners sloped. Bigger than the European standards and will easily accommodate double decker trains.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Aaraldi liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Aaraldi

Likes (Received): 2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
If I'm reading those right the basic shape for the loading gauge is 5.5 meters tall and 4.88 meters wide (single track) with top corners sloped. Bigger than the European standards and will easily accommodate double decker trains.
Double decker - yes but do they permit double stack containers? Kenya's new loading gauge must be bigger though. it will allow double stack containers. maybe something between 5.54 m and 6.15m...
Aaraldi no está en línea   Reply With Quote