daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #101
gurukool
build intelligent

Likes (Received): 0

they r my neighbours, even then i dont understand y these chinese fight among themselves for something that no1 shall care of...
it is very nice 2 read their obixuous speeches and debates though

difficult to understand this debate on urbanisation of patriotic drama,
gurukool no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #102
IJKT123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurukool
if this is reality, then it is a bit dull and an unplanned mistake
why?

Quote:
they r my neighbours, even then i dont understand y these chinese fight among themselves for something that no1 shall care of...
it is very nice 2 read their obixuous speeches and debates though

difficult to understand this debate on urbanisation of patriotic drama,
if you followed this thread well - it would be easy to see what going on: its not a debate amongts chinese - its debate among many participants in one side vs an architect in the other side.
IJKT123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #103
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by an architect

one more time - we are talking about architecture, in particular, the ugly Chinese-designed buildings and poor urban planning in Shanghai.
Pudong is meant to be a showcase skyline, not some interactive pedestrian wonderland. There are enough pedestrian areas in SH and China as a whole.

Quote:
then there wouldn't be any real discussions would it? everybody just lavish fake, totally undeserving compliments on ugly buildings. how do people learn from mistakes if they all employ the traditional Chinese way of denial and avoidance?
umm... denial and avoidance? how about they actually like SH's skyline. I like SH's skyline, go to SH threads on the cityscape section and you'll see many flattering comments from Chinese forumers and Western forumers alike.

SH is like Las Vegas. Loud and ridiculous. I like it. If you want some Chinese refinement, look at Hong Kong.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #104
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Huh? Where? inside your house? Your claim is blatantly false. Show me some pictures if you can.

Now you are mixing up metaphors with simple physical descriptions. We are discussing architecture and the closely related issue of taste, not cultures. What do you mean "colorful"? like the sea of red during the murderous Cultural Revolution? or the pale faces of hunger during the starvation set off by the infamous Great Leap Forward? LOL!

(1) That's irrelevant.

(2) The claim about royalty's interior decor is your speculation

(3) Some private antique collection for investment or personal enjoyment is not the same as widespread acceptance of Chinese interior decor as high-class. The latter never happened, not even in China.
Are you saying there wasn't any tackiness in 80s America??

You were over generalizing Chinese culture. Speculation?? Visit European palaces and you'll find Chinese screens, vases, and dinnerware. That's why dinnerware is called China, because Europe wasn't able to replicate China's high quality porcelian for quite some time.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #105
IJKT123

Quote:
Originally Posted by satit28
it looks great and futuristic.........
but its not very stylish..................
Pearl Tower for example.......
For me the Pudong's current and future building's architect is very stylish and futuristic compared to many buildings in Manhattan NYC which are mostly simple box style (eg: WTC - MedLife - etc). Only Pudong's buildings are not well coordinated and the placement is not too well organized compared to Manhattan skylines. That makes SH skylines not seem too harmonized if compared to NYC & Chicago skylines. But if we talk about style and design - I believe its hard to find Manhattan building to be comparable to Pudong's (such as Jinmao).
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #106
IJKT123

Quote:
ChristCharlton,

you don't know what you are talking about!

you don't even have the lucidity to stay on the topic at hand for one minute without straying off to totally irrelevant and unrelated issues.

one more time - we are talking about architecture, in particular, the ugly Chinese-designed buildings and poor urban planning in Shanghai.

But as a rebuttal to your geopolitical babble, China is rising because the West allowed it. In fact, the West is helping it. Without the massive economic and technological assistance from the West, China would still be NOTHING!

I wish you had been in China during the Cultural Revolution. maybe you would have learned something first hand instead of from the books.
Dear Idiot architect,

Please explain why the West help china rising ?

Do you think US/Europe/Japan is willing and happy to see china growing to be their rival?

Use your brain to think that there is no freelunch for assistance - West need China because her market and low cost labour, as China need West for their technology. Western and Japanese companies need China if they still want to be competitive! thats the reason why western and Jap companies come to China! and its China's smartness to play her cards (market & diligent but cheap labour) to force them to give what she wants. It is China potential human resources that makes western come to China.

If West ever give technology to China - its not because their mercy - but simply because they MUST DO IT (read : be forced by China - to give up some technolgy to China) - because they need "access" to China resources (human/market/cheap labour/geographic position etc), otherwise they will suffer in competition - and China is quite clever to play this game.

Thats why Napoleon recognized China as a sleeping dragon which can shake the world when she awakes.

Last edited by IJKT123; May 9th, 2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #107
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2842

found this on a website about americas international DEBT

"In the year to Nov. 2004, the U.S. had a total merchandise trade deficit of $653.8 billion, while Japan & Germany scored a cumulative trade surplus of $325 billion($132+$193 bill). That's a whopping $979 billion worse performance for the U.S. in JUST ONE YEAR. In 2001, for the first time, China surpassed Japan as the country with the largest trade gap with the United States. America's deficit with China surged 95% in the next 3 years, reaching $162 billion and 26% of total US trade deficits in 2004."
nezzybaby está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #108
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

in other words America could not survive without china, whereas china would be a hell of a lot better off without america
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #109
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

but as for shanghai.. its beautiful, cant wait to see more stuff rising
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #110
an architect
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
in other words America could not survive without china, whereas china would be a hell of a lot better off without america
Hahahahahahaha!

Your name fits you quite well - your intelligence is arguably slightly lower than that of a baby.

I don't know who is closer to monkey, you or our 9-year old babbling idiot IJKT123.

hahahaha
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #111
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurukool
if this is reality, then it is a bit dull and an unplanned mistake
That's an understatement. Shanghai's urban design and rapidly rising "crap shoots" (ridiculously ugly buildings designed and built by incompetent, tasteless Chinese) is becoming a joke among Western architects. Some buildings are already falling apart due to incompetent design, inferior construction material and unethical workmanship. We in the West call it "city building with Chinese characteristics".

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #112
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

western "architects" like you?

no wonder...

to tell you the truth, i would be glad if they are designed by incompetent Chinese architects, take the SWFC for example, it is designed by a Japanese firm.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #113
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
Pudong is meant to be a showcase skyline, not some interactive pedestrian wonderland. There are enough pedestrian areas in SH and China as a whole.
Indeed that's what Pudong has become - a showcase skyline for future architects what a combination of bad taste, ignorance, stupidity and bureacratic incompetence can produce - a blended mess of numerous inferior, ultra-ugly Chinese-designed buildings surrounding a few highrises of Western designs.

Quote:
umm... denial and avoidance? how about they actually like SH's skyline. I like SH's skyline, go to SH threads on the cityscape section and you'll see many flattering comments from Chinese forumers and Western forumers alike.
No surprise there. That's why we are having a discussion about bad taste vs good taste. Did you know that there are people who love to eat rotten meat covered with maggots?

LOL

Quote:
SH is like Las Vegas. Loud and ridiculous. I like it. If you want some Chinese refinement, look at Hong Kong.
There are very few truly fine architectures in Hong Kong (percentagewise). The newly erected highrise by the waterfront looks like a sex toy.

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #114
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
western "architects" like you?

no wonder...

to tell you the truth, i would be glad if they are designed by incompetent Chinese architects, take the SWFC for example, it is designed by a Japanese firm.
Which one is SWFC?

For your information, Japan is NOT considered a Western country. (It's common sense, don't you think?)

Japanese architects are in general rather mediocre artistically. They are much better than local Chinese architects, but not exactly comparable to American and European architects.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #115
Sen

if you dont even know which building is which then what right do you have to talk **** about SH's skyline?

anyways thank you for your encouragement for calling those buildings Chinese designed, (which in fact are designed by Western architects not only from Japan). i firmly believe one day our own architects will design such beautiful buidlings, but at the moment they cant think outside the little box.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #116
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
Are you saying there wasn't any tackiness in 80s America??

You were over generalizing Chinese culture. Speculation?? Visit European palaces and you'll find Chinese screens, vases, and dinnerware. That's why dinnerware is called China, because Europe wasn't able to replicate China's high quality porcelian for quite some time.
No I was not over-generalizing Chinese culture. I was merely commenting on Chinese lack of taste and artistic flare in architectures. (and in music - it's a torture to listen to traditional Chinese music.) So that's only two aspects of Chinese culture.

Oh yes, one more - their thievishness, as evidenced by their shameless widespread piracy of Western intellectual property rights.

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #117
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
if you dont even know which building is which then what right do you have to talk **** about SH's skyline?

anyways thank you for your encouragement for calling those buildings Chinese designed, (which in fact are designed by Western architects not only from Japan). i firmly believe one day our own architects will design such beautiful buidlings, but at the moment they cant think outside the little box.
No need for foul words, uncivilized Chinese dumbass!

I'm not interested in remembering the names of those stupid buildings, much less abbreviations.

Those ultra-ugly Chinese-designed buildings are nothing more than eyesores. Why would I care to know their names?? Only idiots like you would do that.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #118
Sen

ok whatever i am done for today...seriously tro to get a job something...hope you can design some great buildings one day then you can talk about others.

good luck with your career.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #119
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
found this on a website about americas international DEBT

"In the year to Nov. 2004, the U.S. had a total merchandise trade deficit of $653.8 billion, while Japan & Germany scored a cumulative trade surplus of $325 billion($132+$193 bill). That's a whopping $979 billion worse performance for the U.S. in JUST ONE YEAR. In 2001, for the first time, China surpassed Japan as the country with the largest trade gap with the United States. America's deficit with China surged 95% in the next 3 years, reaching $162 billion and 26% of total US trade deficits in 2004."
Hahahahahahahahahaha

What a brainless post that is!!

nezzybaby, when you reach 12, make sure you ask your parents to send you to a good high school and then a good college. (assuming you can get the grades to qualify.)

Then study the development of trade between the U.S. and the pathetic, backward, primitive China in the 1970's. It will probably take you a few years to thoroughly understand the whole picture.

Until then, you are just a clueless babbling moron like that pathetic childish monkey boy IJKT123.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #120
an architect
BANNED

IJKT123,

I'm not interested in training Chinese monkeys such as yourself. Please ask your cage keeper at the zoo. LOL