daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #121
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2841

an architect vs the world

think this thread needs ending.

FYI im 22 and at one of the best universities in the country (imperial college), I dont know much about politics and economics, but you cant argue with the figures, and america is going to crash soon.

$7trillion dollars worth of debt isnt a good thing for a country, especially one that continues to spend like theres no problems.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #122
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2841

"Oh yes, one more - their thievishness, as evidenced by their shameless widespread piracy of Western intellectual property rights."

because of course americans (having to assume your american, as you seem afraid to list where your from) never stole anything, if it wasnt for stealing all the best german scientists after the first world war, there would have been no space race. If it wasnt for the britains swept wing design americans would never have gone supersonic. And as for modern technology, i think we all know it comes from japan, and is manufactured in china.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #123
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2841

but seriously why do you not like the design of these towers, SWFC is beautiful and i cant wait to see it built (FYI the one with the big hole). Jin Mao i believe is one of the best looking skyscrapers around today, and apart from the big peearl type thing i really dont see the problem.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #124
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
but seriously why do you not like the design of these towers, SWFC is beautiful and i cant wait to see it built (FYI the one with the big hole). Jin Mao i believe is one of the best looking skyscrapers around today, and apart from the big peearl type thing i really dont see the problem.
If you are talking about the one with a big hole at the top, I believe I've said that I like it. I don't know the name of the building but I know it was designed by KPF, not some Japanese firm as the clueless poster Sen claimed yesterday. The building was to be financed by the Japanese, but the construction was delayed several times as a result of the financial crisis that swept the region in the late 1990's.

It's currently under construction. But the original clean, elegant design is to be ruined by a Chinese imposed "bridge", supposedly under the pressure from stupid, irrational local Chinese idiots due to the building's resemblance to the Japanese flag. Such bureaucratic meddling is rampant in China.

Jin Mao is an above-average design. I think the architects were too eager to flatter the Chinese by incorporating some elements of the stupid Chinese pagoda, which resulted in some aesthetic defects in the exterior.

Chinese pagodas and roof tops are aesthetically inferior and poorly suited to modern highrise platforms. It's one of the reasons I find the Chinese tasteless - they blindly apply their traditional, aesthetically inferior architectural styles to modern, large scale Western highrises for no good reason other than a misguided nationalistic urge to assert their "Chineseness". They would rather have a building that looks "Chinese" and therefore super-ugly than one that is elegant but "Western".

And this kind of childish Chinese thinking and taste is everywhere.

Taiwan's Taipei 101 is arguably the ugliest super-highrise in the world right now. It was designed by a local Chinese (Taiwanese) firm. Just like mainland Chinese, the tasteless Taiwanese wanted it tall. And like mainland Chinese architects, Taipei 101's designer wanted it to "symbolize" something, with "Chinese characteristics".

The result? A clowning failure that's become a joke in architectural circles. The "bamboo shoot" turns out to be worse than a crap shoot - at least a real crap shoot isn't tall enough to attract attention to itself.

LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 05:14 PM.
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #125
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

Historical Chinese architecture is gorgeous.

anyways, an architect, what skylines do you like?
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #126
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
"Oh yes, one more - their thievishness, as evidenced by their shameless widespread piracy of Western intellectual property rights."

because of course americans (having to assume your american, as you seem afraid to list where your from) never stole anything, if it wasnt for stealing all the best german scientists after the first world war, there would have been no space race. If it wasnt for the britains swept wing design americans would never have gone supersonic. And as for modern technology, i think we all know it comes from japan, and is manufactured in china.
That's not stealing! Do you actually understand the definition of the word "stealing"? LOL

Germany was nothing more than a heap of ruins after WWII. There was no way German scientists could have done any serious reseach in the country. Besides Germany was the loser in WWII. The allies would not even let Germany keep its army. They certainly would never have allowed the Geman scientists to continue their work on sophisticated military applications such as rocketry.

Transferring German scientists to America was not "stealing". There had been no theft of intellectual property rights as opposed to what's currently happening across China.

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #127
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

You call it "transferring"???? LOL You sound as brainwashed as the Chinese. I wrote a paper on it. There was clearly alot of forcing going on.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #128
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
an architect vs the world
nah, more like an architect with good taste vs a bunch of morons with bad taste. LOL

Quote:
think this thread needs ending.
nope. It's good venue to put Chinese ignorance, stupidity and bad taste on display.

Quote:
FYI im 22 and at one of the best universities in the country (imperial college), I dont know much about politics and economics, but you cant argue with the figures, and america is going to crash soon.
you got into Imperial College with an IQ of 22? LOL!!!
Do you hate Britain or the college so much that you have to engage in this kind of subtle defamation? LOL!!!!!

by the way, you contradicted yourself - you have no business predicting an economic crash if you know nothing about politics and economics.

Quote:
$7trillion dollars worth of debt isnt a good thing for a country, especially one that continues to spend like theres no problems.
you mean like the kind of debt Britain had incurred right before WWI? LOL!!!!!!!!!
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #129
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2841

and what about swept wings and the constant pressure from america for england to pass on information about such projects without anything in return
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #130
Kenwen
Mosher "K"
 
Kenwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DOngguan
Posts: 1,311
Likes (Received): 131

Anyway, an architect, doesn't matter how u think about chinese skyline China will still rule the world in a few decades as they did in the pass.
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #131
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
Historical Chinese architecture is gorgeous.

anyways, an architect, what skylines do you like?
Historical Chinese architecture is crap.

There are many kinds of skylines that I like. None of which has "Chinese characteristics" or designed by the tasteless Chinese - nothing with shadows of pagoda or Chinese rooftops.

In short, I like skylines formed with elegant buildings under sound, sensible urban planning.
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #132
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2841

^ i think we need to agree its a matter of personal taste, i love such architecture, and would rather see a chinese skyscraper than a tall cuboid.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #133
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
and what about swept wings and the constant pressure from america for england to pass on information about such projects without anything in return
I don't remember Britain having ever fully repaid America for the vast amount of economic and military aid it had received in WWII.
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #134
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

China is set to become the most visited nation beating France in the upcoming years.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #135
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwen
Anyway, an architect, doesn't matter how u think about chinese skyline China will still rule the world in a few decades as they did in the pass.
Hahahaha! here's Kenwen - another uneducated, narrow-minded, ignorant and stupid Chinese numbskull!!

did you know that the U.S. military can incinerate China several times over right now without any fear of credible retaliation from the incompetent Chinese military?

Don't flatter yourself dumbass. Your monkey brain isn't good enough to earn you a decent living, much less to predict the future.

Go get some REAL education, you Chinese dumbass!!!!
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #136
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by an architect
I don't remember Britain having ever fully repaid America for the vast amount of economic and military aid it had received in WWII.
It was GIVEN to them, and they are paying back the loans even till now. Plus, they are helping us in Iraq right now. You're so embarassing, typical insular American
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #137
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
It was GIVEN to them, and they are paying back the loans even till now. Plus, they are helping us in Iraq right now. You're so embarassing, typical insular American
Are you delusional or something? First you claim it was given to them, in which case there would have been no need for them to repay America. But after a comma, you claim they are repaying the loans to this day!!

which is it? make up your mind (or do you actually have one?).

LOL!!!

Are you a cuban or a Brit?
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #138
an architect
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
You call it "transferring"???? LOL You sound as brainwashed as the Chinese. I wrote a paper on it. There was clearly alot of forcing going on.
Hahahahahahaahahaha.

I think it's you who's been brainwashed by (Cuban?) communist propaganda.

Who do you think you are to write a paper on behalf of German scientists?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #139
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by an architect
Hahahahahahaahahaha.

I think it's you who's been brainwashed by (Cuban?) communist propaganda.

Who do you think you are to write a paper on behalf of German scientists?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahaha, you weirdo. Dunno if you are aware of this, but university students write papers on many subjects and do something called research.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #140
loureed
Registered User
 
loureed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,602
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by an architect
Are you delusional or something? First you claim it was given to them, in which case there would have been no need for them to repay America. But after a comma, you claim they are repaying the loans to this day!!

which is it? make up your mind (or do you actually have one?).

LOL!!!

Are you a cuban or a Brit?
War is complex child. UK was given money under the Marshall Plan, and also given loans which they are still paying back today.


Many things in this world don't fit your simpleton b&w perspective.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu