daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #141
an architect
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loureed
hahahaha, you weirdo. Dunno if you are aware of this, but university students write papers on many subjects and do something called research.
what? you are in college? LOL!!!! how did you get in?

"research" huh? I bet you're the type of "student" who writes papers like "if you run, your speed of movement will increase".

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
an architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #142
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
War is complex child. UK was given money under the Marshall Plan, and also given loans which they are still paying back today.

Many things in this world don't fit your simpleton b&w perspective.

Hahahahahahahaha. Don't flatter yourself kiddo.

I think you are better suited to waiting for your favorite ice cream truck. Well, let's call it "researching" your favorite ice cream truck. sounds better?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #143
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

whoa, those are some pretty sorry replies

loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #144
an architect
BANNED

Quote:

whoa, those are some pretty sorry replies
I think you mis-spelled "sassy" as "sorry".

Old May 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #145
dcb11
Blue Devil

Likes (Received): 4

An architect, you've spent numerous posts criticizing everything Chinese, from their architecture to every other aspect of their culture that you can think of. It seems that you believe the West is superior in every respect, a rather quaint colonialist notion that really doesn't suit an architect.

As an expert on world history, I'm sure you know that the Chinese civilization was preeminent on earth for most of its history. They were far more advanced than the West until the Ming Dynasty. Your criticism of modern Chinese architecture makes sense since China is a developing country and developing countries tend to have local architects who are more concerned with efficiency than elegant design. That being said, 99% of architecture in the West is uninspired.

I'm very surprised that you are an architect. Usually architects, being artists, are quite well-spoken and have very refined tastes and generally modern viewpoints. You seem to lack these qualities. Why don't you post some of your own work so we can see what good architecture looks like? Since you portray yourself as an architect of good taste, I'll assume that your works are inspired by the finest in Postmodern theory, oh except for that part of Postmodernism that references non-Western cultures.

I'll just end this post by providing a few masterpieces of Chinese architecture that inspired me when I visited them. Of course, I'm sure your own work is superior to it, so I can't wait to see it! I'm sure they'll convince me that I was wrong to like Asian architecture.

I'll go ahead and post another horrible relic of Chinese architecture: The Japanese Pagoda. Thank god we have architects like you who can surpass such awful buildings, with their stupid "purity of form."

dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #146
IJKT123

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by an architect
Hahahahahahaha!

Your name fits you quite well - your intelligence is arguably slightly lower than that of a baby.

I don't know who is closer to monkey, you or our 9-year old babbling idiot IJKT123.

hahahaha
Is that all you can response little child??

Can't provide any intelectual answer for all my question directed to u except those garbage??

All of your stupid baseless opinion has beed knocked out....

Quote:
IJKT123,

I'm not interested in training Chinese monkeys such as yourself. Please ask your cage keeper at the zoo. LOL
Nobody wants a training from moron looser like you little child....
If your defect logic cannot respond my argumentations, then just admit it....

Last edited by IJKT123; May 10th, 2005 at 08:04 PM.
IJKT123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #147
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2957

lets leave the child accusations for a while, im sure everybody in this discussion is passed puberty. lets not weaken our argument by sinking to his level.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #148
IJKT123

Hihihihi..... architect clown... after acting as a stupid architect, now u try to act as an economist and military analyst? hihihihihi..... ...

Quote:
Hahahaha! here's Kenwen - another uneducated, narrow-minded, ignorant and stupid Chinese numbskull!!

did you know that the U.S. military can incinerate China several times over right now without any fear of credible retaliation from the incompetent Chinese military?
and why US with fear of north korean nuke doesnt fear China nukes - stupid?

Are u so ignorant that never read in mag/newspaper that China missiles with nuke warhead launched both from mainland and submarine can reach US coast?
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #149
IJKT123

Quote:
Historical Chinese architecture is crap.

There are many kinds of skylines that I like.
Like I said... most building in Pudong has better style than simply box style buildings in Manhattan....
Almost every body including western architects like Pudong's building style - while u dont. Its just like everybody can see that Supermodel Cindy Crawford is a sexy beautiful woman - while you are alone in this world to say a superfat lady with 400kg weight as a sexy model... LOL

Quote:
None of which has "Chinese characteristics" or designed by the tasteless Chinese - nothing with shadows of pagoda or Chinese rooftops.
Thats simply because you hate china much... and its obvious in this forum...everybody can see and has declared that...

Quote:
In short, I like skylines formed with elegant buildings under sound, sensible urban planning.
Like what...? let us know what kind of elegant building in your weird lonely world...

Last edited by IJKT123; May 10th, 2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #150
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb11
An architect, you've spent numerous posts criticizing everything Chinese, from their architecture to every other aspect of their culture that you can think of.
That's blatantly false. How can you expect me to take you seriously if you engage in this kind of random, groundless accusations?

Quote:
It seems that you believe the West is superior in every respect, a rather quaint colonialist notion that really doesn't suit an architect.
Which school of logic did you employ to argue that "I believe the West is superior in every respect"? LOL

Quote:
As an expert on world history, I'm sure you know that the Chinese civilization was preeminent on earth for most of its history. They were far more advanced than the West until the Ming Dynasty.
First, what makes you think that I'm an expert on world history? Second, what has Chinese ancient history (preeminent or not) got to do with the discussion at hand? If you are trying to argue that "If country A was preeminent in the past, then its ancient and/or modern architecture must be good or the best on earth", then I believe you've got a big task in showing us the logic behind it. You may start with precise definitions of "preeminent", "culture" (the scope and components) and all other key terms involved and then justify your claim thru a comparison with all other major cultures. Finally show us the logical steps you've taken to arrive at the conclusion.

Quote:
Your criticism of modern Chinese architecture makes sense since China is a developing country and developing countries tend to have local architects who are more concerned with efficiency than elegant design.
That's a fallacious argument. Efficiency and elegance are NOT mutually exclusive. In fact, many Chinese buildings would have looked better simply by stripping away useless structures that not only constitute an unnecessary waste of construction materials but also a serious degradation of the buildings' aesthetics.

Quote:
That being said, 99% of architecture in the West is uninspired.
(1) that's your personal opinion. (2) irrelevant to our discussion as they can be uninspired and still far better than Chinese designs.

Quote:
I'm very surprised that you are an architect. Usually architects, being artists, are quite well-spoken and have very refined tastes and generally modern viewpoints. You seem to lack these qualities. Why don't you post some of your own work so we can see what good architecture looks like? Since you portray yourself as an architect of good taste, I'll assume that your works are inspired by the finest in Postmodern theory, oh except for that part of Postmodernism that references non-Western cultures.
Irrelevant.

Quote:
I'll just end this post by providing a few masterpieces of Chinese architecture that inspired me when I visited them. Of course, I'm sure your own work is superior to it, so I can't wait to see it! I'm sure they'll convince me that I was wrong to like Asian architecture.

I'll go ahead and post another horrible relic of Chinese architecture: The Japanese Pagoda. Thank god we have architects like you who can surpass such awful buildings, with their stupid "purity of form."
Architecturally speaking, China's Forbidden City is rather mediocre. I know it's not a popular opinion and not many Western architects care to voice their honest opinions. But it's true. That's NOT to say that there's nothing good about it. The planning involved for such a grand structure was very complex and required sophisticated organizational skills. There is certain elegance to the Forbidden City when viewed as a whole, due to its use of only 3 colors - gold, red, and white. But if you examine the individual components closely, you'll find that they are rather simple and lack artistic sophistication. There are also some problems with scale and proportions, such as the size of the columns in relation to the building. Then there are issues of functionality, among many others.

As an imperial palace, its sense of grandeur lies only in its scale, NOT artistic design of individual component buildings - the essense of architecture.

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #151
Victoria
Brought to you by...

Likes (Received): 6

Great pics.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #152
an architect
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby
lets leave the child accusations for a while, im sure everybody in this discussion is passed puberty. lets not weaken our argument by sinking to his level.
LOL. I'm not so sure about IJKT123. I seriously think he's not passed puberty yet.

But it's beside the point. We are talking about mental age and IQ.

IJKT123 has failed miserably in both departments.

You don't boost your credibility by reading and/or responding to that semi-illiterate adolescent idiot.

It's OK to play him for fun. But a discussion in architecture with him? LOL. Don't make me laugh.

Last edited by an architect; May 10th, 2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #153
IJKT123

Quote:
LOL. I'm not so sure about IJKT123. I seriously think he's not passed puberty yet.

But it's beside the point. We are talking about mental age and IQ.

IJKT123 has failed miserably in both departments.

You don't boost your credibility by reading and/or responding to that semi-illiterate adolescent idiot.

It's OK to play him for fun. But a discussion in architecture with him? LOL. Don't make me laugh.
Nobody in this forum accused me that... it is you who is called having not passed puberty due to inferior logic - poor knowledge - and uncivilized manner...

Its obvious that you have failed to argue and become a looser...this forum is a place to argue with intelect, not for childish - idiotic and baseless accusations...

I know it is hard to admit yourself a looser.... but your inability to answer my question is evident...

Well... anyway I still can enjoy playing fun around your idiocy...

Last edited by IJKT123; May 10th, 2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #154
loureed

Quote:

Architecturally speaking, China's Forbidden City is rather mediocre. I know it's not a popular opinion and not many Western architects care to voice their honest opinions. But it's true. That's NOT to say that there's nothing good about it. The planning involved for such a grand structure was very complex and required sophisticated organizational skills. There is certain elegance to the Forbidden City when viewed as a whole, due to its use of only 3 colors - gold, red, and white. But if you examine the individual components closely, you'll find that they are rather simple and lack artistic sophistication. There are also some problems with scale and proportions, such as the size of the columns in relation to the building. Then there are issues of functionality, among many others.

As an imperial palace, its sense of grandeur lies only in its scale, NOT artistic design of individual component buildings - the essense of architecture.
LOL, you speak as if you are the God of Architecture or something. Please, give me the Forbidden City over Buckingham Palace or Nieuweinstein (sp) anyday.

"There are also some problems with scale and proportions, such as the size of the columns in relation to the building."

Is this an unchallenged truth set in stone or something. hahahahaha
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #155
loureed

Quote:
There is certain elegance to the Forbidden City when viewed as a whole, due to its use of only 3 colors - gold, red, and white. But if you examine the individual components closely, you'll find that they are rather simple and lack artistic sophistication
like the New York skyline

Quote:
artistic design of individual component buildings - the essense of architecture.
like the Shanghai skyline

The essense of architecture is to give a sense of Place! Something that the Forbidden City does profoundly!!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #156
IJKT123

Dear Loured,

Yeah as we know, we do not know yet what is an example of aestetic or artistic building from his own world - he never explain - never define - nor never show what example of building with beautiful design in his concept....we just heard him saying: its good/its ugly - based on nothing....(except his dislike about things related to china - from economic - culture - society - people - to art which he expressed many times with deep hatred!)
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #157
IJKT123

Quote:

Why dont you start to say what you define about "artistic/aestetic" from your world? and let us examine it and compare with world standard, so that we can discuss with more intelect ...
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #158
loureed

He's simply an annoying troll. Not allowing any room for rational debate.

omg!!!!!! Alert the Boston authorities!!

The columns on this building is totally disproportionate from the rest of the building. Not even close

Last edited by loureed; May 10th, 2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #159
dcb11
Blue Devil

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Okay, some of your arguments against me were well-founded. A lot of the things I said were just personal opinion, but it's not your opinion of Chinese architecture that surprises me here. After all, many architects in the past have had architectural opinions that were against the norm. Le Corbusier believed sending architecture students to study Roman and Renaissance buildings in Italy would damage them forever! I disagree with your critique of the Forbidden City, but it was well-written and argued from an architectural perspective.

No, it's not your opinion on Chinese architecture that is problematic to me. It's that you post in such an angry tone, and you call people names, usually preceeded by "Chinese," as if their being Chinese gives them certain character flaws. Your opinion of modern Chinese architecture is far from being odd. Posting your opinion in a polite manner would be absolutely fine, but instead you seem to have something against China and Chinese people. I got the impression that you had some sort of grudge against China based on your tone, not on your architectural opinions. If I'm wrong, then I apologize, but can't you see why people might think that about you?

You said "the Chinese have bad taste in a lot of things" and you talk about the architecture and planning of Shanghai as if it's the fault of the Chinese people, rather than a weakness of government or the architecutural profession in China. You call cultural elements of China, such as forms of cinema and dance, "stupid." While that may be your opinion, does bringing it up have anything to do with architecture. Of course not; it's just a way of taking an extra shot at China and the Chinese people.

I'm somewhat torn between attacking your tone and derision toward China, or legitimately countering your positions. I could start by saying that you complained about people saying your opinon was "relative," but you gave no theoretical basis that it wasn't. Theory is the only basis by which aesthetics can be shown to be more than relative. You said "that's your personal opinion" as a critique of my post as well! Personal opinon = relative. People aren't upset that you have your own opinion; they're upset that you state it in a condescending fashion as if it is an obvious truth, and fail to provide any support.

In one of your more crude moments, you condescendingly asked what school of logic I am using. Funny you should mention that; I'm studying logic right now at Wadham College, Oxford! Could you suggest a better school of logic so I don't make the same mistakes next time?

One last thing. Your response extensively dealt with my first post, but you completely ignored my request that you post some of your own work. I really am interested in seeing your work, and of course I won't critique it. I don't mean this to be a personal attack. I love all kinds of architecture, and I'd like to see how your architectural opinions manifest themselves in your own projects.
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #160
loureed

dcb,

The Forbidden City is not flawed or mediore in any way. It excels in the embodiment of Chinese traditional ideals of architecture. What he described (the sophisicated simplicity, the gracefulness when viewed as a whole, the organization and meaning behind it) is everything the designers of the Forbidden City was meant to do and nothing more!!!!

Chinese architecture isn't meant to have grand imposing buildings praised for it's individual artistic merit. It is built with "living" wood, and aims for organic harmony. Europeans built with stone, so they put alot of effort into each building because it will be there forever. The Chinese meant their architecture to be empheral and rebuilt again and again.

Europe and China views architecture differently. Architecture does not play such a core role in the Chinese identity compared to Europe. Which is why they have no qualms with bulldozing venacular houses much to Westerners' horror.

Architecture is judged by how it lends to a sense of Place and how well it fulfills its intent.