daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #1
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

MINNEAPOLIS | Nicollet Gateway | 162m | 530ft | 35 fl | Pro

The Nicollet Hotel Block is being redeveloped into a Four Seasons Hotel & Residences.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner of a contest over a coveted redevelopment plot in downtown Minneapolis has been chosen:

Minneapolis planners back Pohlad family's 36-story downtown tower

Quote:
Minneapolis planners on Friday chose a 36-story tower and hotel complex proposed by the Pohlad family’s real estate company for a city-owned block on the north end of Nicollet Mall.

The planners recommended that the City Council approve selling the block to United Properties, the Bloomington-based firm that has become a main holding of the Pohlads, who also own the Minnesota Twins, after exiting the banking industry.

In doing so, the planners rejected proposals from three other local developers, including one for an 80-story tower that they squelched two weeks ago.

And while the recommendation still faces City Council scrutiny and vote, Mayor Betsy Hodges and other council members stood with United Properties executives at a news conference Friday morning to tout the project dubbed The Gateway. The name has long been associated with that area of downtown, which was where the city’s railroad stations once operated.

“Our expectations are high for what’s going to be here,” Hodges said.

The recommendation essentially ended a contest that began last October when city officials said they would sell the block to a developer who would produce an iconic building and public park space that connected the end of Nicollet Mall with the North Loop neighborhood and the nearby Mississippi River. United and the three other developers submitted proposals in mid-December.

The block, called the Nicollet Hotel Block for the stately hotel that stood there for decades, since 1991 has been a parking lot and bus stop that never lived up to expectations as a mass transit crossing.

[...]

The Mortenson proposal:

http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7840

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duval Development's 80 story proposal:

I was a bit hesitant to make a thread about this tower since it's a response to a "request for proposal," by the city. Although the other 3 proposals are much less "iconic" which is really what the city was looking for. Anyways..

It's an 80 floor, 900 ft tower that would be the tallest in Minneapolis, currently it's the IDS Center. The city sent out the request out earlier in the fall and the proposals were due on Thursday. 4 developers responded, they were: Duval, Doran, Mortenson, and United Properties, all of which are local. The new kid on the block, Duval, actually had the best proposal which is the one I'm posting about. Funny thing is they've only been a company since earlier in 2014, brand spanking new! The head of the company, Alex Duval, used to work for Portman Associates, John C Portman Jr, the famed architects company.

Duval is working with Perkins + Will, Aldofson and Peterson and the Cunningham group. The tower is proposed to be offices + 220 apartments + 250-room hotel, as well as retail at the base.

Renderings:

Gateway_Duval by grant.simons, on Flickr

1tower121314.jpg by grant.simons, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; April 7th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
grant1simons2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nice height!

I don't trust the render, it looks very soft and preliminary.

msquaredb liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #3
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Nice height!

I agree. Looks like a massing/placeholder type of situation.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #4
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Nice height!

No doubt it will be revised. But I think the approximate height with its slender proportion , a decorative lit up crown, the use of a sleek glass curtain wall, and a simple but dramatic composition will all be important elements in the final design.

DerekM liked this post
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29135

Nice, a new tallest in this city.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22963

Build it, Minni!

DerekM liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #7
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Wow, this'd really be something! Frankly, I like the render, although I highly doubt that the frosted-glass look would end up looking half as nice in reality. Still, 80 floors in a building in the Midwest outside of Chicago? Awesome.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #8
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Here's a really high res image:

DerekM, dontaco liked this post
grant1simons2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10376

Fingers crossed for this beauty!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

John Nicollet Mall, DerekM liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Fingers crossed for this beauty!
And many prayers!

DerekM liked this post
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #11
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Terrific classic design. Build it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #12
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Just released today:
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #13
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 4017

Quality proposal. I think it captures the city's ultramodern image well.

DerekM, John Nicollet Mall liked this post
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #14
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I really hope this one gets the nod. It's time for this town to really assert itself!

John Nicollet Mall, DerekM liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #15
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1simons2 View Post
Just released today:
It's unassuming and low key, yet exudes an elegant and strikingly modern design that asserts Minneapolis as the center of the Upper Midwest in the 21st century. Has that sense of "quiet pride" and civility that architect Cesar Pelli so eloquently described as the essence of our city's character when he designed Wells Fargo. Will be the tallest building but maintains a polite and respectful presence with our other famed skyscrapers.

DerekM, smoothuser, bodegavendetta, achybo liked this post
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #16
DerekM
BANNED

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
It's unassuming and low key, yet exudes an elegant and strikingly modern design that asserts Minneapolis as the center of the Upper Midwest in the 21st century. Has that sense of "quiet pride" and civility that architect Cesar Pelli so eloquently described as the essence of our city's character when he designed Wells Fargo. Will be the tallest building but maintains a polite and respectful presence with our other famed skyscrapers.
You M-U-S-T be a Literature teacher or something John!!!!! Your wordage reminds me of Mrs. Schmick in 9th grade class!!!! I'm dazzled in a V-E-R-Y good way by your talent!!!!! Keep writing that way and I'll always agree with you!!!!!
DerekM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #17
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
You M-U-S-T be a Literature teacher or something John!!!!! Your wordage reminds me of Mrs. Schmick in 9th grade class!!!! I'm dazzled in a V-E-R-Y good way by your talent!!!!! Keep writing that way and I'll always agree with you!!!!!
No , not at all a writer. Just an architecture nerd! LOL! For some reason there is architecture that seems to go beyond just being a mere "building" and sparks an exciting feeling of emotion from my imagination. It somehow fulfills a dream of how I think things should be. This building seems to have that quality for me.

DerekM, firebar10 liked this post

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; December 19th, 2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:35 PM   #18
smoothuser

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
Well put John! I'd love to read more about Cesar Pelli speaking about Minneapolis. Do you have any books or online resources you could reference for that? If so, please do! I did find this New York Times article from 1989 which talks about Cesar and the Wells Fargo/Norwest tower.

Mplsuptown liked this post
smoothuser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:42 AM   #19
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothuser View Post
I did find this New York Times article from 1989 which talks about Cesar and the Wells Fargo/Norwest tower.
I have an information pamphlet that his architecture firm gave out to the public when the design of Wells Fargo ( Norwest Center) was announced to the public at the time. Pelli described Minneapolis as " clean, urbane, and precise". He spoke of a civic minded populace that likes beautiful architecture and high quality but not over the top. A prosperous city where a majority of the people are polite and have a positive outlook on life. He tried to capture this feeling about the character of the city in his design for Norwest Center. I do believe he was quite successful!

Major Deegan, DerekM, smoothuser liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:48 AM   #20
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 4017

Minneapolis, the Sweden of America?

DerekM liked this post
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
minneapolis, nicollet gateway, nicollet hotel