daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 12:43 AM   #61
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 842

Thanks for posting this interesting thread. Its a shame war destroyed so many European cities including Hannover. Even though a lot has been lost Hannover still looks like a charming city with some impressive buildings. I love German architecture.

ELH liked this post
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:52 PM   #62
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

There´s not much response from Hannoverians to this thread. I interpret that as a sign that participating interest catches only if ideas turn into projects. Alternatively, Hannoverians are a bit "Lahmarschig", but I mean that in "loving" fashion.

An exchange over rebuilding the old-town would be great. Till then, here are som more pics of "the new town hall":

Last edited by ELH; July 21st, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:06 PM   #63
ELH

Continuing the re-tour of "Hannover classics", awaiting dialogue on the lost old-town.

Photo by Frank Trudwig, found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IVh_NyCh3wvAhs

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...889954&page=10

Photo found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IV5_NyCh2fGgG9

Photo by Atha P, found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IV65hyCh0qZgSD

Rombi, Jozef77, keepthepast, Avangard-55 liked this post

Last edited by ELH; July 25th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #64
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Has the current head of the House of Hannover, Ernst August (who is married to Caroline of Monaco), been involved in pushing for historic reconstructions in this city?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:49 PM   #65
ELH

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Has the current head of the House of Hannover, Ernst August (who is married to Caroline of Monaco), been involved in pushing for historic reconstructions in this city?
I´m sorry, I don´t know that. If so, I guess he has not supported any large scale re-transformation of the central old-town - the way I´d like to see it done.

The 2009 Herrenhausen Palace re-construction was founded exhaustively by VW or or one of the other big car companies, as far as I rememeber.

Last edited by ELH; July 26th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #66
ELH

Original post copied fully in reply below.

Avangard-55, Jozef77 liked this post

Last edited by ELH; July 28th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #67
ELH

The "Lichtenbergplatz" (Lichtenberg square) is one of the best kept squares in the city. It lies in Linden, right west of downtown. It would be nice to see it as an actual Plaza rather than as an intersection.

This panoramic view shows all the building lining the square in one single shot.

Photo by Luhm, found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IVASYsCh2s8wPS

Here an aerial view.

Photo by Luhm, found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IVwoRyCh1woQHr

keepthepast, Tiaren, soren5en, Jozef77, Locher and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by ELH; July 26th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #68
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
The opera house of Hannover, had to be partially rebuild due to having lost its roof in airraids

Detail of photo by Remo Puls, found at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...FUNdLAod7y4MoA

In comparing the old and current opera house images, the former landscape was formal and pristine in its apparent maintenance. Landscape is one aspect that doesn't get restored very often, it seems, even when a structure is. If the landscape here were to be reestablished, the area would have a much greater appeal/attraction.
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #69
ELH

Quote:
In comparing the old and current opera house images, the former landscape was formal and pristine in its apparent maintenance. Landscape is one aspect that doesn't get restored very often, it seems, even when a structure is. If the landscape here were to be reestablished, the area would have a much greater appeal/attraction.
"Landscape", "context" or "urban habitat" is important, yes. I fully agree with you.

The street behind the opera to the right is maintained (which you vaguely see in the first picture), whereas that behind to its left and the street across from the opera is post-war. It makes the area less interesting, without a doubt.

Since rebuilding the entire center is fully unrealistic, I have tried to focus on the "old-town", defined as the area at the center-most area of medieval Hannover. Even that, however, doesn´t seem like a topic interesting most ppl. in Hannover wildly.

That may reflect a kind of "Wessie" complacency", separating them from "Ossie" brothers / sisters. In the East, restoring the pre-war past may feel like the only way to get a hold of an own identity again, whereas in the west, having build the post-war economic miracle, that seems to be different.
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #70
ELH

The Herrenhausen palace was re-constructed from its war ruin in 2009, funded by Volkswagen, which also keeps it as a conference center, in addition to it being a public arena. It also has an underground facility which extends its functional capacity.

The Herrenhausen gardens before reconstruction, lying "headless".

Last edited by ELH; July 27th, 2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #71
ELH

The "Leineschloss" ("Leine palace") was the traditional residence for the Kings of Hannover. Lying close to the geographical center of the old city and next to the small river Leine, it´s an essential piece of the city´s historical fabric.

Here you see the palace from across the Vaterloo scquare. Thanks to the personal union with the UK, the victory at Vaterloo was marked with grandeur also in Hannover.

This is the same area seen from the other direction, taken after tha war destructions of WWII. The palace lies in ruins, despite of pleas by members of the british royal family to spare their ancestoral home.

Today, it is rebuild as the parliament of the state of lower saxony. The modernist part of the building replaced no lost part - the palace was always assymetrical before that.

There have been proposals to create a frontal symmetry. In my oppinion, that should only be done if they actually build the left side of the fassade fully identical to the pre-existing right side. The suggestion below looks cheap, in my opinion.

Past view of front:

Present view of front:

Past view of rear side, facing the Leine:

Present Leine-side view - having lost the "Flusswasserkunst", but seeing the city hall.

Jozef77 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #72
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Looks like they have torn down the charming little castle to the left of it after the war
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #73
ELH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
Looks like they have torn down the charming little castle to the left of it after the war
Yes, a famous stupidity. I don´t know the concrete reason in detail.

Probably a mix between a wish for a modern street layout, the need for costly renovation, a disregard for everything past resulting from seeing what history has led to and a feeling of never having the chance to restore the past anyway.
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #74
keepthepast

Were many of the Leine palace furnishings and artifacts saved from the WWII bombs?
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #75
ELH

Quote:
Were many of the Leine palace furnishings and artifacts saved from the WWII bombs?
I have to do some research, but the history of the palace interests me, so I´ll use THIS post to provide some links about it.

The first link I found is this one:
http://www.landtag-niedersachsen.de/...ment_building/
It says nothing about the fate of the interiors.

At wikipedia, I found a little more:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leineschloss
Copied and pasted from that side:
"Der Brand zerstörte viele Kunstschätze in den prächtigen Repräsentationsräumen. Darunter war der 1688 fertiggestellte Rittersaal für große Festlichkeiten, dessen Wände und Decken mit Barockdekor geschmückt waren. Zerstört wurde auch das Wohnzimmer des Kaisers, der sich 1889 letztmals im Leineschloss aufgehalten hatte. Weitere bedeutende Räume waren das Schreib- und Wohnzimmer der Kaiserin, der Thronsaal und der Tanzsaal.".

In english:
"The fire destroyed many artistic treasures in the mighty representational rooms. Among them was the Knights Hall for festivities from 1688, which walls and roof was covered with baroque ornamentation. The living room of the Kaiser, who was last at the Leineschloss in 1889, was also destroyed. Further significant rooms were the writing- and living rooms of the Kaiserin (Queen), the throne room and dance hall."

Finally, I found something more worthwhile. Here are photos of the lost interiors of the Leineschloss:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...IVxlwsCh1NJwDM
To what extent any of those interiors are re-constructed/copied, I don´t know.

Last edited by ELH; August 1st, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #76
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 401

there were/are plans to rebuild that castle. it's called the Flusswasserkunst

ELH liked this post
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:46 PM   #77
ELH

A recurring topic within this thread, because it is a personal favourite of mine; the old market area with the Marktkirche and the old city hall:

Last edited by ELH; August 2nd, 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old August 6th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #78
ELH

The half-timbered part of the old-town was extensive before the war. One may not see it in the following photos, but what remains is very limited. Basically it comes down to one short street, one side of its end crossing street and a small square:

Divagation, keepthepast, Pistolero liked this post

Last edited by ELH; August 6th, 2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #79
keepthepast

Was the medieval, half timbered collection of building in Hannover prior to 1940 considered as valuable and as important an attraction as Frankfurt, Braunschweig, Hildesheim, Nurnberg, etc?
Old August 8th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #80
ELH

Quote:

Was the medieval, half timbered collection of building in Hannover prior to 1940 considered as valuable and as important an attraction as Frankfurt, Braunschweig, Hildesheim, Nurnberg, etc?
As by most of your questions, Keepthepast, I´m a little over-challanged - but I find the question interesting.

I don´t know when this kind of architecture started to be viewed as worthy of conservation. I wouldn´t be surprised if some special gems, like the Römerberg in Frankfurt attained a special cultural status allready during the romantic movement of the 19th century.

At the same time, many german cities used to have half-timbered quarters en mass (smaller ones even to this day) . Much of it was poorly renovated, poorly tenanted and not belonging to the most fashionable parts of the cities. Even in the early 20th century, some could just as easily see these quarters as expression of "contemporary", old-fashioned backwardness.

What I consider the greatest gem of the lost half-timbered old-town of Hannover, the Leineinsel https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leineinsel_Klein-Venedig, was getting frequently depicted in post-cards from Hannover over the course of the early 20th century. It could indicate that its value and importance was recognized even back then.

Last edited by ELH; August 8th, 2015 at 01:12 AM.