daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Brucey7

Likes (Received): 179

The most architecturally devoid buildings of the UK.

Motivated by seeing several buildings that were just simply so bland and frankly awful I was wondering if we could start a thread about such buildings. In other words post here the worst, soulless bland buildings you can think of. You can post buildings of any era but I'm guessing it's going to largely draw upon the 00's onwards.

Here's one to get you started:

The Place, Southwark

Credit to corerising and potto respectively from here at skyscrapercity.
Brucey7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Seriously? I love The Place. Look at those lines.

I count minimalism as an architectural feature.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #3
ThatOneGuy

I would say crap like this is the most architecturally devoid stuff in the world. No attempt to make a statement or to look sleek and stylish. All are just half-assed attempts to replicate old styles in order to be as safe as possible.

Marco Bruno, Divagation, Mateusz liked this post
Old December 27th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Brucey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Seriously? I love The Place. Look at those lines.

I count minimalism as an architectural feature.
I would have to disagree, it's also the overbearing nature of The Place that does it for me, the scale is horrific compared to it's surroundings - and that's saying something when one of it's neighbors is a skyscraper.
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

The Place really doesn't bother me.

As for ThatOneGuy's post, that sort of architecture is definitely irritating due to its lack of architectural qualities, but it is ultimately inoffensive, and a great improvement on from the 60s and 70s stuff.
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #6
ThatOneGuy

Its inoffensiveness is what bothers me. It's trying desperately hard to have nothing to say, to have zero controversial reaction, and yet to also fool people into thinking it's something grander than it is.

I like 60s and 70s stuff. There were a lot of cool geometric and linear patterns back then. Most of it is miles better than this pseudo-architecture that relies on knock-off false detail. At least architecture from that time was honest about what it was.
Old December 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

Grand public buildings and skyscrapers are the sort of buildings we want to be contentious and striking. We want them to push boundaries, and have plenty to say.

When it comes to vernacular architecture (which is what you posted), nothing matters more than simple aesthetics. It doesn't matter if it's pastiche. People will forget that eventually. Ultimately, only the aesthetics will be considered. Would you rather live here...

Or here?...

Because the latter was considered to be inoffensive and pastiche when it was first built.

Brucey7, DBadger liked this post
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6274

4 WTC, NYC

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #9
ThatOneGuy

But look at the reflections it provides! It's like a canvas. And the angles are like a knife that can cut the air. Surely that is not architecturally devoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonese View Post
Grand public buildings and skyscrapers are the sort of buildings we want to be contentious and striking. We want them to push boundaries, and have plenty to say.

When it comes to vernacular architecture (which is what you posted), nothing matters more than simple aesthetics. It doesn't matter if it's pastiche. People will forget that eventually. Ultimately, only the aesthetics will be considered. Would you rather live here...

Or here?...

Because the latter was considered to be inoffensive and pastiche when it was first built.
If it is built to a good design standard then it is a different story. I would not say those are arhitecturally void. But these knock-offs with mediocre cookie-cutter decoration, like the hotels I posted, are badly trying to be something they're not.

I would rather live here, which has a clear architectural vision (despite the lamps which spoil the view)

Or here

Than here, which seems like the architect went out of his way to not go out of his way.

For me it's more important if a building is maintained or not. Most of the housing estates like the one you posted are very run down.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 28th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old December 30th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #10
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

For me the biggest culprit would be Portland House. What makes it all the more excruciating is that it sits right next to one of my favorite buildings in London, which is Cardinal place.

Portland House

londonist.com

Cardinal Place

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca..._-_1739905.jpg

Standing next to each other

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...inal_Place.jpg
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:22 AM   #11
Brucey7

Time for one of my least favourite buildings ever - the Guoman Hotel. It beggars belief that this turd was ever built at all, but that it was built next to Tower Bridge is truly insane. I genuinely cannot think of a single saving grace of this soulless building. Anyway, enjoy:

I don't own any of the pictures, all credit to the respective owners.
Is it not cruel to let our city die by degrees, stripped of all her proud monuments, until there will be nothing left of all her history and beauty to inspire our children? If they are not inspired by the past of our city, where will they find the strength to fight for her future? Americans care about their past, but for short term gain they ignore it and tear down everything that matters... This is the time to take a stand, to reverse the tide, so that we won't all end up in a uniform world of steel and glass boxes.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Mr Bricks liked this post
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Horrible.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote