daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #21
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

New Developments Seen as Boosting Future of Newark

Quote:
NEWARK—For years, this city has watched nearby Hoboken and Jersey City be transformed by luxury apartments, restaurants and an influx of young professionals while it struggled to overcome a legacy of poverty, violence and corruption.

Now developers say the future of what was once an industrial hub is finally under way, with half-a-dozen downtown residential developments having received financing, broken ground or been completed within the past year. The hope is that the projects will bring thousands of residents, a more vibrant street life that will help drive down crime and lift rents enough to tempt other developers to take the plunge.

“I think this moment is really a new beginning,” said Newark’s economic and housing development director, Baye Adofo-Wilson.

Among the projects moving forward is the Four Corners Millennium Project, which is expected to have 705 residential units, a hotel, retail and office space. It has received state tax credits and begun design work.

Elsewhere, Dranoff Properties plans to break ground this winter on a 22-story building with 245 apartments in a city that has seen little new high-rise construction in the past 50 years.

Also under way is the 500,000-square-foot redevelopment of the former Hahne & Co. department-store site. The developers have signed a lease for a Whole Foods Market, which is expected to open in 2016.

[...]

Chadoh25, Nexis, geometarkv liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16996

Quote:
Coalition mulls possibilities for 'great urban spaces' along NJ Transit line in Newark, Oranges

— The mayors of three neighboring cities are expected to speak later this month about how changes to the areas surrounding train stations could potentially help bolster some of the state’s struggling neighborhoods.

The Urban Essex Coalition for Smart Growth formed in 2013 as a result of the Together North Jersey initiative, which is working to create transit-oriented developments in northern New Jersey. According to the Urban Essex Coalition’s Coordinator Tom Schulze, the group formed after a TNJ recommendation to look into redevelopment options surrounding a string of five train stations along the NJ Transit rail line in Newark, East Orange, and Orange.

The five-mile stretch encompasses about 62,000 residents across the three municipalities.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...k_oranges.html
Visit the New Jersey Section

storms991 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #23
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Kearny still wants NJ Transit train station, mayor says

By Rose Duger | For The Jersey Journal
on January 08, 2015 at 11:32 AM, updated January 08, 2015 at 11:34 AM

KEARNY -- Leaving a legacy for future generations of Kearny residents was the theme running through Mayor Al Santos’s annual state-of-the-town address at Tuesday’s reorganization meeting.

As he outlined priorities for 2015, Santos noted that elected officials many years ago had the vision to pursue long-term plans including the construction of the Gunnel Oval athletic complex and Riverbank Park that benefit today’s residents.

For Santos, the modern-day equivalent of that vision includes persuading NJ Transit to revive plans to construct a new train station on Bergen Avenue below Schuyler Avenue. The transit agency had targeted Kearny for a station years ago, but scuttled the plan when Gov. Chris Christie canceled the ARC tunnel project to build a new Hudson River transit tunnel.

Now, with bi-state concerns about train capacity and the poor condition of existing tunnels, Santos figures the time is ripe to present Kearny’s case.

“This is one thing I have not given up on,” he said. “I think the state will have to reverse its nearsightedness on that issue.”
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Old January 13th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #24
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
$55 million redesign, two-story building planned for Elizabeth NJ Transit station

Preliminary designs were unveiled Monday for a $55 million renovation of the Elizabeth NJ Transit station. From left are Mayor Chris Bollwage, City Council President Patricia Perkins Auguste, Assemblywoman Annette Quijano, U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez and U.S. Sen Cory Booker. (Katie Lannan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

ELIZABETH — A total of $55 million in state and federal money will fund the construction of a new two-story building and train platforms at the city's midtown NJ Transit Station, a project officials hailed today as an economic driver.

"This project is not just about the rail, it's not just about the station," U.S. Sen. Cory Booker said during an event outside the station. "This will be an economic accelerator for the city of Elizabeth. It'll increase housing values, it'll spur business growth, it'll create jobs and expand opportunity. This is a tremendous day for the city of Elizabeth and for the region."

Booker, Sen. Robert Menendez and Rep. Albio Sires joined state, city and NJ Transit officials and Union County freeholders to unveil the designs for the new station.

"This area is going through a renaissance, and this is just going to help it," Sires said. "It's going to create jobs, people are going to move into the area because of easy access to moving back and forth, and you need a train station that's adequate."
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...l#incart_river

Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:55 PM   #25
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
East Newark wants a hotel built on its Passaic River waterfront

By Rose Duger | For The Jersey Journal
on January 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM

East Newark’s elected officials are setting their sights in 2015 on enticing a developer to build a hotel along its Passaic River waterfront.

Mayor Joseph R. Smith outlined moving ahead on a new hotel as his administration’s top priority for 2015.

So far, four entities have requested more information on specifications for the project, but none have submitted applications to the borough yet, according to the mayor.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ssaic_riv.html

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #26
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Overview of The Ironbound Section of Newark

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=14
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #27
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

Does anyone familiar with Newark know why there's a relative lack of brownstone and rowhouse style housing in the city? Was a lot of it torn down? Were the houses predominantly wood frame? It seems to me that a lot of the appeal of Hoboken and Jersey City sprang from that style of single-family homes.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #28
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
Does anyone familiar with Newark know why there's a relative lack of brownstone and rowhouse style housing in the city? Was a lot of it torn down? Were the houses predominantly wood frame? It seems to me that a lot of the appeal of Hoboken and Jersey City sprang from that style of single-family homes.
A lot of the brick buildings have been covered with Vinyl siding... Outside of Downtown Jersey City this is very common...
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #29
Nexis
Dark Wolf

From Yesterday

Old January 30th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #30
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
A lot of the brick buildings have been covered with Vinyl siding... Outside of Downtown Jersey City this is very common...
Newark had a lot of single family detached homes, rather than rowhouses, and still does. The current university area had most of the rowhouses, leaving only a small area in the James Street Historic District closer to the Broad Street Station. Most of the rest of the housing is either wood framed houses which were wood sided and are now vinyl sided for a quick cheap renovation. The Ironbound has a very large cluster of brick fronted buildings between Ferry Street and the river, but most are historic tenements, rather than true rowhouses.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:17 AM   #31
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
new design for the Calumet building - Part of the Teachers Village Redevelopment...

http://www.joannlui.com/teachers-village-building-8/
http://kssarchitects.com/design/our-...age-building-8
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #32
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Massive Changes were approved for the zoning in Newark...the first revision since 1957...

Quote:
+ NZLUR increased the number of zoning districts from 12 to 19 to provide each neighborhood a custom fit
+ Adjusts regulations in response to articulated community agendas: for example, to prevent undesirable teardowns of historic homes in Clinton Hill and to control difficult-to-accommodate multifamily conversions in Roseville & Forest Hill, and set a four-story height for large portions of the Ironbound.
+ Adds tailored special use zones for areas of the city occupied by major hospitals and airport support functions.
+ Restores dedicated residential zoning to area like 11th, 12th & 13th Avenues.
+ Creates new buffer zone between to protect Ironbound residences from noxious industrial uses.
+ Provides updated & clearer definitions for building uses. For example, “Eating and Drinking Establishments” are now distinguished between “Sit-Down” and “Take-Out” so residents & developers have clearer expectations of development. Also provides more detail and categorization for industrial uses to clearly identify uses associated with resident health concerns.
+ Provides modernized parking requirements, no longer one-size-fits-all. Commercial parking regulations have been refined according to actual needs.
+ We have increased and modernized the conditional use list of uses that have higher standards to meet, often uses that seen by some as nuisances such as a truck wash or body art studio.
+ Updates development fees so developers cover a fairer share of the costs of development review, the first update since 1996.
+ Creates heightened noticing requirements for development applications to better inform the public. For example, a simple notice of development application will be posted at proposed development sites, and applicants will no longer be able to carry applications for long periods without having to renotice property owners.
+ Provides more common-sense guidance on building design based on building types, along with illustrated design standards.
+ Uses “Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design” strategies such as minimum street-facing windows on new buildings and controls for transparency and visibility for front-yard fences.
+ Increases minimum required landscaping for parking lots & industrial sites.
+ Creates limits on impervious coverage for all building types to lessen combined sewer overflows.
+ Specifically permits desirable uses such as community gardens & urban agriculture.
+ Add standards for solar and wind power which did not exist before.
+ Creates new design standards for streets & sidewalks to improve pedestrian safety & experience.
http://glocallynewark.com/newark-cit...g-master-plan/

Manitopiaaa, storms991 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #33
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
NJIT plans $100M events center, may help NCAA Conference discussion

An artist rendering of the planned new NJIT events center. (Courtesy NJIT)

By Jessica Mazzola | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM, updated February 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM

NEWARK — More NJIT sports fans will likely be able to take the family to regular home games a few seasons from now, thanks to a recently approved events center that school officials say should be added the the university's campus by 2017.

The NJIT Board of Directors recently approved preliminary plans for a 200,000 square foot "wellness and events center," New Jersey Institute of Technology President Joel Bloom confirmed. The project is expected to cost a little over $100 million, he said.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...l#incart_river

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #34
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

The following photos were taken from the 15th floor of the Prudential Headquarters building.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #35
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Newark Status update courtesy of Brick City from Wired NY
Quote:
Under Construction

Teachers Village - phase 1 (charter schools complete; residential and retail underway)
15 Washington Park (Rutgers graduate housing and classroom/event space)
494 Broad Street addition (parking garage with 2 floors of Cablevision offices)
Prudential tower and satellite retail buildings on Broad and Halsey Streets
IDT building (IDT is renovating and moving back into the lower 3-4 floors)
Hahnes Building renovation (Whole Foods, retail, apartments and space leased by Rutgers-Newark)
Carlton Hotel (pretty sure it is being renovated into a Tryp by Wyndham)
Rock Plaza Lofts (Redd's Restaurant & Bar is moving in to the last remaining vacancy)
Biotrial North American headquarters (part of University Heights Science Park)
NJIT Central King Building and York Building addition

Upcoming Projects

Rutgers-Newark new science building (I have no idea why groundbreaking has been delayed so long on this fully funded project)
One Theater Square (theoretically a June groundbreaking; financing supposedly complete)

Proposed Projects

One Riverview at Rector Street (this will hopefully jump to 'under construction' but there has been no activity since the faux groundbreaking)
Commerce Street hotel (proposed for the former Cardinal Health building that adjoins the parking garage on Commerce Street)
Triangle Park (City Council approved but still threat of litigation delays)
Parking garage behind City Hall (currently held up by litigation with Edison Properties)
Four Corners (ambitious project involving 79 parcels around Market and Broad Streets acquired by RBH)

desertpunk liked this post
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #36
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

New Look: Newark’s Four Corners Millennium Project

Quote:
Inklings of Newark’s resurgence have been peppered throughout the press in recent years, and at YIMBY we have covered plans for a 22-story apartment building with 224 units set to rise at One Theatre Square, as well as Richard Meier’s “SOMA Plan,” which offers a blueprint for developer RBH Group’s transformation of the city.

RBH’s current work in Newark is limited to smaller-scale projects like Teacher’s Village, though even that redevelopment is taking on a larger scope. And now it appears that the first tower within the larger master-plan may also be moving closer to reality.

As the Wall Street Journal reported in late December, RBH is planning a mixed-use skyscraper with over 700 residential units, in addition to a hotel, retail, and office space. And YIMBY’s new look for the tower confirms it will certainly be distinctive, rising approximately 80 stories.

While RBH has not released any formal height figures, the building appears to stand roughly 1,000 feet tall, which could (somewhat surprisingly) give Newark the distinction of having New Jersey’s first “supertall” of 1,000 feet or more. Jersey City’s boom has been immense, and its overall skyline has clearly surpassed Newark’s, but even its tallest proposal will stand 995 feet tall, falling short of the 1,000-foot mark.

[...]

Phobos liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #37
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Matrix Development advancing its latest Newark project

By Joshua Burd March 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Matrix Development Group is moving ahead with its plans for a mixed-use development on a waterfront site adjacent to the Newark Legal Center and Panasonic's North American headquarters, the firm's top executive said Wednesday.
http://www.njbiz.com/article/2015030...Newark-project

Last edited by Nexis; March 28th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #38
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
RBH Group unveils plans for $30 million 'indoor vertical farm' in Newark

By Joshua Burd March 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM

A former industrial site in Newark will become home to the world's largest “indoor vertical farm” and the operator's new global headquarters under a plan detailed Monday by RBH Group, the developer behind the city's Teachers Village and Four Corners projects.

The $30 million project is already underway in the city’s Ironbound section, the firm said, in what will create a 69,000-square-foot facility and nearly 80 new jobs. The space will be operated by the startup AeroFarms, a high-tech commercial grower for vertical farming and controlled agriculture, occupying the site of a former steel factory at 212 Rome St.
http://www.njbiz.com/article/2015030...m%27-in-Newark

Old March 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #39
Nexis
Dark Wolf

From yesterday

New apartments along Railroad Ave

New apartments in the Ironbound section of Newark,NJ
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

New Oliver Street School

Oliver Street School Construction
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #40
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
From Sea to Vacant Lot: A Shipping Container Condo Rises in Newark

By Alexis Stephens | March 16, 2015

Rendering of the container condo headed to Newark (Credit: C+C Architecture)

The current floor plan of each apartment includes an open living room, dining room and kitchen space; three bedrooms and two bathrooms (including a master suite); and laundry in each unit. The floors will be made out of poured concrete; closed cell foam insulation will exceed current standards. Other sustainability measures include the structure’s base, which will be built on pile footings to allow for better rainwater absorption and an option for residents to install solar panels in the future.

Read more at : http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/ship...newark-housing

storms991 liked this post