daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:31 AM   #41
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16991

from Thursday

Harrison

Harrison Transit-oriented development
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Harrison Rising and Red Bull Arena
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:22 PM   #42
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Newark Penn Station to Celebrate 80th Anniversary on Monday

Friday, March 20, 2015

Newark Penn Station will turn 80 this Monday, and New Jersey Transit is planning a celebration. The station, which is located in Downtown Newark, serves PATH trains, New Jersey Transit trains, the Newark Light Rail, Amtrak trains, and local buses. It is the busiest train station in New Jersey, with an average of over 27,000 (Commuter Rail) weekday New Jersey Transit train riders. Newark Penn Station was designed by McKim, Mead and White, and was dedicated on March 23, 1935. Rail service began the following day.

A variety of activities will take place throughout the morning and afternoon. From 9:30am to 2:00pm, the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center, of Phillipsburg, will present a historical bus display in front of the station on Raymond Plaza West. Buses from the 1950s will be on display. In addition, there will be musical performances by Brian Miguel at 10:00am, Rachel Menconi at 11:20am, and Susyn Timko at 12:00pm. Plus, the Newark Arts High School Jazz Ensemble will perform at 1:00pm and 2:00pm.

35-minute long tours of Newark Penn Station will be offered at 11:00am at 12:00pm, starting at the information booth. Participants will learn about the history of the station and the Pennsylvania Railroad, tour the concourses, see architectural design features, and learn about future projects. A question and answer session will follow, and a speaking program is scheduled for 1:30pm.

Partners include the Greater Newark Convention and Visitors Bureau, the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, the Newark Museum, and the Ironbound Business Improvement District.
http://www.placenj.com/2015/03/newar...rate-80th.html
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #43
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Biotrials in University Heights

Prudential - Downtown

Halsey Street projects - Downtown

This is seeing some renovation

Teacher's Village - Downtown

New Oliver Street School - The Ironbound

New Apartments along Railroad Ave - The Ironbound

New Apartments on Bruen Street - The Ironbound

New House on Lafayette Street - The Ironbound

New store at Lopez Plaza - The Ironbound

Polk Street Luxury Apartments - The Ironbound

Cablevision Call Center - Downtown

15 Washington Renovation - Downtown

Carlton Hotel Renovation - Downtown

Hahne's Building (Future Whole Foods , Apartments & Rutgers Dorm)

60 Nevada Street - Lincoln Park

The renovation of this site into an outdoor amphitheater and community garden with hydroponics is 99% funded and will start very soon. The church facade is completely stabilized and repaired, and the cupolas will be restored. - Lincoln Park

Halsey Street Apartments proposal - Lincoln Park

Spruce Street Apartments - Lincoln Park

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #44
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
1100 FE Rodgers Blvd

300 Somerset

221 Bergen Street

100 Harrison Avenue

storms991, phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #45
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
1200 (?) South Fifth Street , Pile Driver

221 Bergen Street

1100 South Fifth Street

300 Middlesex

Old March 30th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #46
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18843

Why the hell buildings in the US are built from cardboard?
This is crazy especially when you consider cyclons and tornados factor.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #47
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Why the hell buildings in the US are built from cardboard?
This is crazy especially when you consider cyclons and tornados factor.
We don't get that many Tornado's or Hurricanes here in the Northeast.... Its faster to build with wood then concrete and steel. Only the Emergency Stairwell has to be Concrete. And Wooden buildings are no taller then 6 stories...
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #48
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18843

6 Stories is a lot. Moreover I've seen identical technology in St Petersburg in Florida with my own eyes. That is not northeast...

And this doesn't look like wood either. Like I said, more like a chipboard panels...

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #49
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

I lived in North Carolina, in hurricane alley for 8 years in homes made of wood. Needless to say I'm still here; and despite experiencing a number of category 4 hurricanes, my home never experienced any damage. Don't let your judgement be impaired by ill-founded presumptions. If an investor is building a wood framed home in St Petersburg, it's probably because WOOD WORKS. I'm sure a developer doesn't want a lawsuit on his hands.

Plus wood is far cheaper, easier to use, and more sustainable than concrete..

Furthermore, as you can tell the foundation/occasionally first floor, are constructed using concrete, this is sufficient.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:35 AM   #50
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Montclair

Downtown Bloomfield

Old April 1st, 2015, 11:02 AM   #51
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
New Jersey Performing Arts Center

The parking lot in the back will soon be replaced with a Hotel and Conference Center. It will likely be in the 20-something story range, and the size of the conference center is unknown. The site is quite large and directly adjacent to the NJPAC Light Rail station (Served in both directions), so it could easily handle a very large conference center. The project is still in the conceptual massing stage, so it will still be several years away. NJPAC was always designed as part of an arts district with it catalyzing numerous new buildings adjacent to it.

Shaq's tower at 40 Rector Street will actually break ground in the Summer, according to Schreiber. He was quite hopeful of that, having been in conversation with them about it. It will actually benefit NJPAC's projects by being a part of the larger arts district, which would be more inviting.

NJPAC's tower was originally supposed to be 44 stories high, but was cut in half because they could never work out the financing. As a 22 story tower with 244 apartments, it will cost $106 Million. It received a $33 Million Transit Hub tax credit and $12 Million in funding through the rental car tax from the airport. With private financing, it is now 100% funded. It will now officially break ground in 6 weeks from today, which would be around May 15th, which is mid-spring, as previously reported. I specifically asked Schreiber about the 30 day deadline given during the Economic Development town hall meeting, and he says that they were given the wrong information. Many of the recent delays relate to the redesign of the building, specifically the recent change of an entire floor from market rate to more affordable apartments. The market rate apartments will be about the most expensive ones in Newark, with the exception of the large units in Packard Lofts and Eleven80 Raymond. The project will take 2 years to complete.

Prudential Tower

That mysterious green wall. Each section has an individual planter with the plants already in place. The vines should quickly cover the fences and create a huge wall of leafy greenery, one of the largest in the state. Black hoses can be seen for the irrigation system.

The second external elevator location has been almost completely covered. You can see the mounting brackets for the Prudential Logo signage.

NJIT is in the process of a large building spree. The Gateway project is not included because of the difficulties involving Saint Michael's Medical Center, which is a partner in the project. They are looking to get themselves purchased by a large hospital operator, so it is unknown if they will have any investing power at all. Instead, they are looking at several smaller "campus gateway" projects in the form of renovating a large building by I-280 on Orange Avenue into apartments and installing sculptures in several locations. Also, they are building the 950 space, 7 level parking garage and a $100 Million events center for sporting events. That was kicked off due to the huge need to concentrate the parking on campus, and to create a proper 4500 seat gymnasium for the basketball team, which has recently won several major games and beating all odds, specifically against a number of unbeatable teams.

A third project is the construction of a "Life Sciences and Engineering Center" between the existing parking deck and the Environmental Engineering building. I have know hope for the architecture and like the existing building, I would not be surprised if it does everything except stick up its middle finger to the Martin Luther King Boulevard side of the site. The site slopes down about 20 feet, which the other building responded to by having 20 feet of solid vertical wall before the first windows, a move that characterizes the entire remainder of the campus's outer perimeter. The project will cost an abnormally low $13.5 Million (The Honors Dorm and Greek Village, although larger, cost over $80 Million), with $5.5 Million more spent on lab equipment.

This is the conceptual massing from the Vector student newspaper.

It will replace the surface lot on the right side, but must maintain access to the offices on the side of the Parking Garage. NJIT's Bursar's, Financial Aid, and Registrar's offices are located down there, with no usable alternative entrance, as well as one of the two entrances to the "Student Mall" computer labs. The other is on MLK Boulevard (itself seen in the background of the image) and is rarely used. For an idea of the difference between campus interior and outer perimeter entrances, The parking deck has two pedestrian entrances. One is by the vehicle entrance on the Summit Street side and does not have a door. between outside and inside. It was removed because of the hassle of holding it open, particularly in the wind. The other side, on MLK, has a side entrance and a narrow meandering path leading to it. You can see it in the far corner of the parking deck. You have to swipe your NJIT ID card to get in or out there (which has an override that sets of an alarm and releases after 15 seconds in case of an emergency). The same applies to Weston Hall and the GITC building, which both have campus interior and street-side doors. The Honors Residence that was recently constructed requires a card swipe from both sides, and fake card swipers were added to the convenience store and pizza restaurant entrances. The convenience store's Warren Street side door locks 3 hours before the store closes, forcing you to walk around to the back from 10 pm to 1 am. With this mindset, expect a walled off monstrosity from all three of NJIT's imminent expansion projects.

Old April 4th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #52
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
A college for the future: Rutgers proposes massive makeover for Newark campus

By Kelly Heyboer | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on April 03, 2015 at 7:25 AM, updated April 03, 2015 at 10:16 AM

NEWARK — Rutgers-Newark's jumble of crowded streets and aging buildings would be replaced by a pedestrian-friendly campus with modern classrooms and free wifi under a new plan presented by university officials yesterday.

The campus makeover is part of Rutgers' new physical master plan, a long-term outline for the future of the state university's land and buildings.
http://www.nj.com/education/2015/04/...l#incart_river
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #53
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
First architectural elevations for Express Newark project released

KSS Architects of Princeton has provided this rendering of the second floor lobby for Express Newark. (Courtesy KSS)

By Dan Bischoff | For The Star-Ledger
on April 03, 2015 at 3:00 PM, updated April 03, 2015 at 3:03 PM

The office of Rutgers University Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor has released the first architects' renderings of the planned interior of Express Newark, the new academic arts center and commercial development planned for the old Hahne & Co. department store on Broad St. next to Military Park.

The computer-generated images show a stripped-down space punctuated by glass curtain walls and decorated by out-sized signage and funky sculpture. (One image includes Jeff Koons's gold-chrome "Balloon Dog" filling out a two-story-tall gallery space, like the Koons "Rabbit" in the New School lobby in Manhattan.)
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/arts...press_new.html
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:27 AM   #54
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Ironbound update

-New York Avenue project was approved for 55 units with day care
-Ferry/Magazine Street project was approved for 89 units
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #55
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Harrison Update from Brandon Nagle

100 Harrison Ave

Other Harrison Ave projects

221 Bergen Street

300 Somerset

1100 Frank E Rodgers (1100 South Fifth)

http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #56
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Downtown Newark Update from Brandon Nagle

Teacher's Village
One store is complete (Provident Bank)
One clothing store will open next week
Several others will open in a month or two
The rest will begin work once they receive the dozens of permits. Each store has a handful of permits to get.
All completed apartments are fully leased, 70% to teachers. Not all of them are Newark teachers
The development has 60 occupied units, but only 15 cars regularly park there.

Building on Halsey Street and Academy Street corner that is being slowly renovated

New Street will be closed to traffic, continuing the pedestrian plaza to Broad Street and Military Park.

New Prudential Tower

Hahne's Building (Whole Foods, 50,000 sq ft Rutgers space, possible NJIT book store, 160 apartments)

Washington Park will receive a near future renovation.

15 Washington

Cablevision Office and Garage

Last edited by Nexis; April 8th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #57
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Lower Broadway - Newark Update from Brandon Nagle

Old April 8th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #58
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Downtown Newark Projects List , Source Brandon Nagle

Quote:
1) NJPAC Tower, 22 floors/242 units, Mid-May groundbreaking confirmed by NJPAC CEO

2) Shaq Tower, 23 or 25 floors/169 units, Summer 2015 real groundbreaking confirmed by NJPAC CEO

3) Maker's Village, $30 Million Vertical Farm, 1 month to start

4)15 Washington Street, Renovation for 350 students, now underway

5) New Prudential Tower, completion in Summer

6) Hahne's Building, Renovation of existing building underway now, 6-8 story extension on Halsey/New Street corner, 160 units

7) Teacher's Village 17 William Street, 81 units on 6-7 floors, piling underway

8)Teacher's Village 243 Halsey Street, 63 units on 6 floors, half complete

9)101? Market Street by RBH Group, 13 floors of apartments designed by Richard Meier, Fall or Winter 2015 Groundbreaking

10) Paramount Theater project, 16 floors of apartments and a hotel designed by Frank Gehry, 300 units shared with 101 Market Street, Fall or Winter 2015 Groundbreaking

11) Baxter Park Phase II, 300 units in 4 buildings, Summer Groundbreaking

12) Springfield Marketplace (Shoprite), 165 units on 5 floors, topped out

13)Montgomery Heights Phase II, 154 units on 5 floors, imminent start

14)Somerset Brownstones, 60 units in 4 buildings, imminent start

15) Matrix Development site near Penn Station, 220 units, imminent start

16)New Horizons Senior Housing at Irvine Turner Blvd and Muhammad Ali Ave, 150 units in 10 story building and others, Perhaps 1 year away

17)Rutgers-Newark Honors Housing, 300+ units, 1-2 years from now

18) NJPAC Hotel and Conference Center, 20+ floors, 2 years+
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #59
Nexis
Dark Wolf

More Downtown Newark from Brandon Nagle
Quote:
RBH's Four Corners project will consist of 2 simultaneously constructed buildings that will together house 300 mostly market-rate apartments. The buildings are being designed now, will cost $100 Million each, and will likely break ground by the end of 2015. Both buildings will have underground parking, but not much. Instead, there will likely by a valet system to the other RBH owned lots. They own 79 properties that were purchased for $130 Million.
One will be next to the RBH Office. It will reach from the garage to the edge of 89 Market Street. It will be designed by Richard Meier and rise 13 stories high with ground floor retail.

The second will be 16 stories high and will by designed by Frank Gehry. It will also contain a hotel and some office space, and will somehow incorporate the facade of the Paramount Theater, and replace the buildings seen to the right of it. It will also break ground by the end of the year.

Site of 300+ unit Honors Residence

Old April 9th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #60
Nexis
Dark Wolf

N.J.I.T. Will Get an Arena, but It Still Needs a Home

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/sp...ds-a-home.html