daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Rockford
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Trump Chicago Grows 235 feet Spire

now it will be 1,360 feet, second highest in Chicago

TRUMP TOWER UPDATE
Daley to Trump: You're spired!
The mayor wants a fancy top. The Donald disagrees. Guess who wins.

By James Janega and Blair Kamin
Tribune staff reporters
Published February 10, 2005

Donald Trump knows what he likes, and he didn't like a spire on his Chicago building.

"I hated the look of it," Trump said in October while discussing a recent design of the tower.

Mayor Richard Daley knows what he likes too. His tastes run toward the ornamental--concrete planters and wrought iron.

And the mayor wanted his skyline to have a spire in it.

In December, when the Donald was in town pitching his new fragrance, the mayor and the mogul went face to face in Daley's 5th-floor office in City Hall.

"He said, `I want a spire. It's important to the skyline,'" Trump spokeswoman Jill Cremer said of Daley.

And so it is that the latest design for Trump tower is topped by a pointy spike that--depending on how one counts it--could make the building the second tallest in the city and in America, not to mention the seventh tallest in the world.

"He does like spires," Trump remarked of Daley Wednesday.

So to the summits of Chicago's skyline--the Sears Tower, Aon Center and John Hancock Center--add the new Trump tower. With a pointed, decorative spire, please.

Advocates of spires say they can add a spiritual presence to an urban skyline. Cesar Pelli, who designed the sky-piercing Petronas Towers, built in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in 1996, has called them the point where the ground blends into the firmament. Profane meets sacred. A silhouette pointing to the heavens is etched into a city's sky.

Exactly how Trump's building will point to the heavens isn't clear yet--the latest design for the tower and its spire hasn't been made public.

(Here's a glimpse of who's got the upper hand here: Trump ordered the building's latest plans released Wednesday. But his Chicago architects and real estate attorney refused--Daley, they said, had not seen and signed off on them.)

But details trickled out. As currently designed, the spire will rise to 1,360 feet, said Adrian Smith, the skyscraper's chief architect in the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.

Trump said Wednesday that he was poised to spend $3 million on the spire alone, adding it to what is already a 1,125-foot, 92-story residential office tower costing $750 million. Two extra floors were added to the original plan without increasing the building's height because the skyscraper will be supported by a concrete frame rather than steel. That will eliminate the need to place concrete floor slabs atop steel beams.

City bureaucrats will have to approve the new plans. If they do, the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago would become the second-tallest building in the city--well above the 1,136-foot Aon Center and the 1,127-foot John Hancock Center, but still 90 feet shorter than the 1,450-foot Sears Tower, the nation's tallest building.

It would make Trump's skyscraper 90 feet taller than the 1,250-foot Empire State Building, which is, after the Sears, the nation's runner-up.

Though Trump's Chicago tower will clearly secure a place in the global pantheon of tall buildings, it likely will slip before long.

The planned Freedom Tower at ground zero in lower Manhattan is supposed to rise to 1,776 feet, a height that would symbolically refer to the year of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

And though the world's tallest building is the 1,667-foot Taipei 101 in Taiwan, Skidmore last year announced construction had begun on a multiuse tower it designed for the United Arab Emirates that will soar to more than 2,000 feet.

Further muddying the Trump tower's place in the world is the arcane way in which the informal arbiters of the world's tallest structures decide which spindly points atop soaring buildings count toward a building's total height, and which do not.

On balance, said Seattle engineer Ron Klemencic, chairman of the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, structural elements like spires count. Think of the spire atop the Chrysler Building in New York City. Communications antennas do not. Think of the twin masts atop the Sears Tower or the John Hancock.

Looking at drawings of the Trump tower's tiptop from May, Klemencic said he smelled a controversy brewing.

"This is not a slam-dunk," he said. When the building's design is finalized--perhaps by the end of the week--Klemencic's group of a dozen or so architects, engineers and designers from around the world will e-mail the drawings to each other, squint at their computer screens and type furious arguments. Thus is the pecking order of the world's tallest buildings mysteriously decided.

"A condition like this is always hotly debated even within our organization, I can tell you that much," Klemencic said.

Whether it sets records or not, the tower's profile in Chicago's skyline will fill a void between the Aon Center and Hancock that is as wide as a gap-toothed child's smile.

It will stand out, too, because its glass and polished steel exterior will glint with sunlight, which Chicago's other three giants make no use of.

But the story of the Trump tower's silhouette says as much about the forces behind urban landscapes as it does about the buildings that make them up.

As with Chicago's ubiquitous flower planters and wrought-iron fences, Daley serves two roles--he is both chief politician and chief planner, and he micromanages design details that other big-city mayors typically relegate to subordinates.

And though it is unclear where he hit upon rooftop spires, Daley clearly liked the idea.

After the original, blocky designs for the riverfront site of the former Chicago Sun-Times building, 401 N. Wabash Ave., were scrapped, the mayor was among those who saw the pinnacle above the redrawn version of the Trump tower and liked it.

Trump was less impressed with the spire in the redrawn design.

"I wanted to shave it for two reasons," he said. "I'd save money and I didn't like the original top of the building."

Plans for the tower--including the off-center spire--had been approved by the city in May, but as recently as October, the mogul's plans for his Chicago tower left the spire off. That changed shortly after visiting Daley's office on Dec. 7.

On a day that produced the heaviest rain in a month, Trump was late for an appearance at Marshall Field's on State Street. Starting shortly after noon, he signed boxes of his signature men's fragrance, called "Donald Trump," as he was greeted by a crowd estimated in the hundreds, said Andrea Schwartz, spokeswoman for Marshall Field's in Chicago.

Then, still whiffing of cologne, he and his entourage climbed into a sedan in the early afternoon and were whisked the two blocks to City Hall.

"I spoke to the mayor and suggested that I didn't like the way the spire was and said, `What's the purpose of the spire?'" Trump recalled. "He said, `Could you go back and give it another shot?'"

Trump agreed, sending his team to work through a few designs.

"They worked out a version that was, sadly, more expensive," he said. But brightening, he hastened to add: "As soon as I saw this, I said, `Let's do it.' It was so beautiful."

- - -

Building would trump many of city's tallest

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago was orginally planned to stand 1,125 feet tall, but an agreement between Mayor Richard Daley and Donald Trump would add a 235-foot spire atop the building.
Rockford no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

cool, but is that spire considered part of the structure of the building i.e. will it be considered in the official height. If you have any new renders that would be cool.
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3
jer4893
JER_4893

Likes (Received): 0

I doubt it will be considered part of the actual height unless they are floors (people can easily access them) i.e. CN tower, not actually considered a building, tallest freestanding "structure".
jer4893 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

spires are counted to the accual height, that how petronas were taller than the sears
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #5
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

Excellent stuff, good to see Chicago get another supertall building!!

Poor reporting, though - inconsistant:
Quote:
It would make Trump's skyscraper 90 feet taller than the 1,250-foot Empire State Building, which is, after the Sears, the nation's runner-up.
If you count the spire on the Empire State Building the way that the writer has counted the spire on this new Trump Tower, the Empire State Building's height is a much more impressive 1472ft.

I'm from the other side of the pond and even I noticed that one!!
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #6
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

I agree with Trump, I don't like the spire idea. I think buildings look better with a "flat" top like the Sears Tower, old World Trade Center, Union Square 7 or the Library Tower in Los Angeles.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #7
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

^Agree

Though if it were a spire like Chryler's I would beg to differ
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #8
FerrariEnzo

Likes (Received): 9

Daley is my hero, twisting arms to get what he wants. Thats a real gangster for you.
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #9
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David
Excellent stuff, good to see Chicago get another supertall building!!

Poor reporting, though - inconsistant:

If you count the spire on the Empire State Building the way that the writer has counted the spire on this new Trump Tower, the Empire State Building's height is a much more impressive 1472ft.

I'm from the other side of the pond and even I noticed that one!!
ESB has an antenna; the fat spire is already counted in total height.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #10
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

i side with trump on this one. i don't want a spire on this building and make it gain cheap height. if they do it, people would just call it a cheater since sears, aon, and john hancock does not contain spires at all. without a spire, trump chicago would be shorter than all three, but the spire would knock aon and john hancock down 1 place. what a cheap way to win over 2 of the 3 international style classics of chitown...

daley should not get a say on this. trump's already got an antenna planned for the tower that'd play the role of the spire just as good, but daley has to barge in and mess with his plans. im not a big admirer of trump, but daley's being such an selfish bully in this case.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #11
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

Daley get's a say in everything and anything in Chicago, and that's the way people like it here.
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Killadelphia
I'm Priceless

Sorry if I missed anything said above and if this sounds stupid.... but any renderings?
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #13
lazar22b

NWSide.

word
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #14
3tmk
Rusty Robot

could we get to see the old renderings for those who forgot what the building looks like?
I remember seeing it a long time ago, and I know I liked it, though I don't remember what it looks like anymore
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #15
Killadelphia
I'm Priceless

^ Oh, I was reffering to of teh redesign... It is a redesign right?
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #16
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

I think Donald should add more floors, not more spire. Bring WTB status back to America buddy!!!
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #17
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
^Agree

Though if it were a spire like Chryler's I would beg to differ
Some buildings look better with a spire and some don't. The Chrysler, Empire State and Petronas Buildings look great with spires.

Trumps Tower looks better with a flat top but that's the way he said he wanted it in the first place.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #18
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I agree with Trump, I don't like the spire idea. I think buildings look better with a "flat" top like the Sears Tower, old World Trade Center, Union Square 7 or the Library Tower in Los Angeles.
How many ppl ACTUALLY view the Sears as a flat topped building??? Not many. If you search for pics without the antennas the sears looks weird.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #19
NapHsu4922

Rendering

Last edited by NapHsu4922; February 17th, 2005 at 12:17 AM.
NapHsu4922 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #20
3tmk
Rusty Robot

the tower really is great, but I have nothing against the spire, it looks pretty good too.
though again Chicago might have too many spires...