daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #61
snufalufugus

Likes (Received): 0

Making your building taller than the Sears tower or the Petronas towers by 1-2 feet is just plain stupid. I can't wait for the Burj Dubai to be completed. We'll finally have a building that is the world's tallest in all categories.
snufalufugus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:41 AM   #62
GVNY
Metropolis

Likes (Received): 4

Burj Al Arab uses spires as well. It is no better than any other "cheater".
GVNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:40 AM   #63
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY
Burj Al Arab uses spires as well. It is no better than any other "cheater".

That may be, but even if they didn't use a spire over there, the building would claim the world's tallest in all catagories. So you could say that they are cheating and don't really have to.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:42 AM   #64
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

Burj Dubai has a spire also but the building is freaking tall even without a spire. It beats everything else with or without spire.
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM   #65
Tom in Chicago

Making your building taller than the Sears tower or the Petronas towers by 1-2 feet is just plain stupid. I can't wait for the Burj Dubai to be completed. We'll finally have a building that is the world's tallest in all categories.

Since you're obviosly new to the forum it should be noted that the architect for both Burj Dubai and Trump Chicago is the same person. . . none of us are kidding ourselves here by thinking that the spire for Trump is anything other than a silly numbers game. . .
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #66
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Chicago

Since you're obviosly new to the forum it should be noted that the architect for both Burj Dubai and Trump Chicago is the same person. . . none of us are kidding ourselves here by thinking that the spire for Trump is anything other than a silly numbers game. . .
Except for the fact that Trump himself seems to have implied that the tower itself may be extended, apart from whatever is done with the spire.

In any case, we'll all know soon enough.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:44 PM   #67
Tom in Chicago

In any case, we'll all know soon enough.

That's true. . . but it's also true that the outcome will be any less trivial. . .
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #68
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Trump dumps lofty goal for tower's spire

By Blair Kamin, Tribune architecture critic. Tribune staff reporter Gary Washburn contributed to this report

Published March 9, 2005

Donald Trump's spire isn't going higher.

The flamboyant developer and reality TV star said Tuesday he no longer wants to construct the nation's tallest building in Chicago.

Last month, Trump caved in to Mayor Richard Daley's demand that he keep a decorative spire atop his Chicago tower. Trump then set his sights on an even taller spire, one that might make his building top Sears Tower as the nation's tallest. Instead, Trump said Tuesday that he would retain the spire's previous height, making his tower about 90 feet shorter than the 1,450-foot-tall Sears.

The reasons: Plans for the extended spire looked awkward, Trump said. And some people who have bought units in the 92-story hotel and condominium tower expressed concern about living in the building, apparently because its greater height could make it a terrorist target.

"I don't want to change the profile of the building, both physically or psychologically," Trump said in a telephone interview from his New York City office. "What difference does it make? [The record] isn't what it used to be."

Asked if that means he is scared of terrorism, Trump replied: "I'm never scared."

But he acknowledged that after the news hit the front pages that he might construct the nation's tallest building, his staff called 10 people who have bought units in the building, formally known as Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. Three, he said, preferred that the building's height remain lower than Sears'.

"That's a pretty good percentage--30 percent," he said. "That, carried forward, would make 30 percent of the people less happy."

Trump reports he has sold about 65 percent of the units in the skyscraper, now under construction on the riverfront Wabash Avenue site formerly occupied by the squat, seven-story Chicago Sun-Times Building. With 35 percent of the units left to sell, Trump made the right choice, one Chicago real estate developer said.

"I certainly think there are buyers out there at the high-end who would prefer not being in ... a building that draws attention to itself for unnecessary reasons," said Tom Weeks, president of LR Development, which has developed such high-profile luxury skyscrapers as the Park Tower at 800 N. Michigan Ave.

Not building the extended spire will save him about $1.5 million dollars in construction costs, Trump said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jacquelyn Heard said Daley "understands it's a business decision."

The Daley administration had welcomed Trump's desire to shoot for having the nation's tallest building, saying it would be "amenable" to such a plan. But Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd), who represents the ward where the skyscraper is being built, threatened to file an ordinance blocking the tower if Trump sought "administrative changes" to the project, such as altering the height.

Tuesday's development was the latest switch in a skyline drama that has had more twists and turns than Trump's reality TV show, "The Apprentice."

Trump originally planned a 2,000-foot tower, but scaled it back to a blocky 78-story high-rise after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Last year, he appeared satisfied to have a sleek tower of 1,125 feet, two feet shorter than the John Hancock Center, which would have made Trump's tower the city's fourth-tallest building. After no one lined up to buy antenna space atop the building, Trump decided last year to ditch the spire.

But Daley urged the developer to put it back. And last month, when the Daley-Trump face-off was revealed, Trump's architects, the Chicago firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, said the spire would reach to a height of 1,360 feet, or 235 feet taller than the building's roof.

Topping Sears, as City Hall suggested the developer might do two weeks ago, would have meant extending the spire at least 326 feet above the roof.

But those extensions made the spire "a little bit gangly" and "very convoluted," Trump said.

Stressing that he has sold more than $600 million of units in the building, Trump said, "I am very superstitious about changing things that are very successful."

The spire, he said, would remain at the "original height," though it is "more beautiful" now than when it was largely a structural feature designed to hold up an antenna. A 1,360-tower would be Chicago's second tallest building, shorter than Sears, but taller than the Hancock and the 1,136-foot Aon Center.

Architects at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill could not be reached for comment.

Communications antennas do not count in a building's overall height, according to the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the international arbiter of height rules. The council counts decorative spires as part of a building's height, however. The world's tallest building, Taipei 101 in Taiwan, is 1,667 feet tall.
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #69
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Business
Trump curbs his soaring ambition

March 9, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter

On second thought, and maybe third or fourth, Donald Trump won't be playing with the height of his Chicago building after all.

Trump said Tuesday that he's decided against manipulating the building's spire to capture the title of "nation's tallest'' or "almost world's tallest'' building. He said he'll stick with the current design for his hotel and condominium development under construction at 401 N. Wabash.

That means the 92-story building will top out, with a relatively modest spire, at 1,360 feet, some 90 feet shorter than Sears Tower. Trump said last month he would consider a taller, more costly spire to beat Sears. Another option was beating the 1,483-foot Petronas Towers in Malaysia, currently No. 2 in international height standings.

"My building has just been so successful, why change it?'' Trump said. He acknowledged that renderings of the building with an elongated spire weren't pleasing. "The massing wasn't as nice,'' Trump said of the design by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Trump also said some buyers urged him not to make a change. No one voiced a concern that a taller building could be a terrorism target, he said.

The new Trump International Hotel & Tower, which replaces the old Sun-Times Building, has reported sales of 70 percent of its units, or a total of $600 million.

Maybe this means that the design will be released sooner rather than later .
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #70
SILVERLAKE
Tastemaker Extraordinare

Likes (Received): 2

The nation's tallest building belongs in NYC. So I'm glad Trump changed his mind.

C'mon FREEDOM TOWER!
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #71
DevinLee

Umm, Freedom Tower is much less impressive IMO than Trump Chicago will be and it still will not count as tallest to me with it's huge cage on top. I am glad that the spire isn't being lengthened because it would throw everyone off.
DevinLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #72
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERLAKE
The nation's tallest building belongs in NYC. So I'm glad Trump changed his mind.
regardless of what trump decided to do with the spire atop his chicago tower, the nation's tallest building, the sears tower, has resided in chicago since 1974. so i don't know why you would be happy with the decision by trump to go with a shorter spire, as the nation's tallest building will still remain in chicago for the time being. there was never any speculation that trump was considering a spire massive enough to surpass the eventual 1,776 ft. of NYC's freedom tower.

it was purely an intra-city battle of whether or not trump would go tall enough to surpass sears. freedom tower was never part of the equation.

so now you know, and knowing is half the battle..............
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #73
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

- edit
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #74
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

OLD RENDERING

NEW RENDERING

The new rendering isn't the clearest. It was scanned from the Real Estate section of the paper. Con you notice the differences?
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM   #75
FerrariEnzo

Likes (Received): 9

I dont see any diffrences in the two above posted renderings.
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:54 AM   #76
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo
I dont see any diffrences in the two above posted renderings.
Look closely at the crown. The bands around the top of the tower. Notice the vertical elements that have been added. They're different, the changes are just minor.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #77
GuitarAce
Turn it WHAT?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Look closely at the crown. The bands around the top of the tower. Notice the vertical elements that have been added. They're different, the changes are just minor.
I think I like the top (older?) one better. The crown was what "capped" my visual interest. It's pretty plain jane without the detail on the crown IMO.
GuitarAce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #78
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

It's a beautiful tower, with such a nice shape almost wrapped right around the canal.

It's very sympathetic to the location and the facade looks great, providing such a light and reflective adjunct to the canal scene.

The jury for me is out on the spire however - it's unecessary and while it doesn't bastardise the design as another tower's case, it is unecessary and if it was to be included I'd rather see something a little more stronger and bulkier -the tower is stocky enough in to accept a bolder spire if it is so desired.

Last edited by Avatar; March 25th, 2005 at 09:25 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #79
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

ARCHITECTURE

Getting to the point: A tower's aspirations

By Blair Kamin

Published March 25, 2005

Call it "tinkering with the top."

These computer renderings show the long gestation period of Donald Trump's 92-story hotel-condominium tower in Chicago -- in particular, the development of its controversial spire.

The seven-year sequence includes the impact of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and Mayor Richard Daley's edict that Trump retain an ornamental spire.

Though the latest -- and apparently final -- version of the spire appears below, the tale of Trump's tower is far from complete.

Because of the tower's scale-shattering height and bulk along the Chicago River, we still don't know whether it will be a graceful urban presence, the ultimate McMansion or some combination of the two.

The expected opening: 2007 or 2008.

Old March 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #80
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

I like the spire on this one.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote