daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #581
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I'm kind of surprised that places like Munich, where I doubt there's many Indians are getting daily direct flights to India. I bet it's all catering to Indian-American customers.

I think there's a lot of potential for India-U.S. direct flights. I'd like to see direct flights from Detroit to New Delhi in the next 5 years.
You're right Paddington. The India-North America route is the most lucrative international route from India. Everyone's on it. Even with the many direct India -US flights, I am positive the indirect flights will still be as full. Whats good to see is that soon India will have three international carriers on most of these routes, once Kingfisher gets the permission.

meanwhile, some more renderings of the new international terminal at the Kolkata airport

thanks to all the Indian forumers for their efforts in posting these first.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #582
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Indian airline losses may clip aircraft orders: Airbus

Quote:
Airbus, however, continues to see India as a key market in terms of sales, research.

Airbus Industrie, Europe's leading aircraft manufacturer, said it is expecting Indian airline companies to cancel or reschedule orders on account of their losses.

"No airline is making money in India because they are selling below cost. The country is seeing a 25 per cent annual growth rate in air passenger traffic but some slowdown is also expected. These are some of the pains when markets open up," said John Leahy, chief operating officer (customers), Airbus.

Leahy, however, declined to offer details.

Airbus has orders for five A380 aircraft from the Vijay Mallya-owned Kingfisher Airlines, which plans to start international flights shortly. It also has orders for eight A330 200 aircraft from Jet Airways, India's biggest private airline.

On Tuesday, Naresh Goyal, chairman of Jet Airways, said Indian aviation companies are expected to incur a loss of $2 billion in the current year owing to low pricing and pressure from rising aviation turbine fuel prices.

Airbus, however, continues to see India as a key market, both in terms of sales and research.

"India is one of our prime strategic partners. You can't be global without being in India with its large number of highly skilled, motivated and knowledgeable people," said Airbus President and Chief Executive Officer Tom Enders.

"We are capitalising on the incredible energy and entrepreneurial spirit in this country and have initiated research and technology cooperation projects with some respected Indian universities," he added.

Last year, Airbus opened its first Indian Airbus Engineering Centre in Bangalore, where Indian engineers are responsible for advanced modelling and simulation for the A380 and the A350.

"We started with 25 engineers and will now quickly grow to 300 Indian employees. Together with suppliers, we have more than 1,000 employees in India already. I believe there is more to come," Enders said.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #583
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 319

Master layout plan of Kolkata Intl Airport

arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #584
cbeboy

Likes (Received): 127

India to play a key role in Qatar Airways’ growth strategy

Qatar Airways has spelt out plans to expand its presence across India as part of a long-term commitment to one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

Announcing the launch of daily flights from the airline’s Doha hub to the southern city of Kozhikode, the Chief Executive Officer, Mr Akbar Al Baker, said the airline currently operates 58 flights a week to India, including daily scheduled services to Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Hyderabad and Kozhikode, along with a twice-weekly operation to Nagpur.

Special ties

Addressing a press conference at Kozhikode, Mr Al Baker said that the growth of Qatar Airways was the result of close cooperation between the Governments of Qatar and India and it had ensured that air travel between the two countries remained robust.

“Our countries have enjoyed a special relationship for many years — a relationship that has come to fruition with air access gradually being stepped up between the two countries. This has enabled Qatar Airways to fly to more destinations across India and I am delighted that we are able to spread our award-winning Five-Star services to yet another city on the global map,” he said.

Huge potential

Stressing the importance of India in the airline’s growth strategy, he pointed out that India today is by far the largest single market for Qatar Airways with a network of nine cities which represents more than 10 per cent of the airline’s global network of 83 international routes. It is eyeing more opportunities in this huge market and was looking forward to opening up further routes to give the travelling public to and from India more choice.

For passengers from Europe, West Asia, Africa and North America, Qatar Airways offers a wide choice of convenient connections to India. The airline currently operates a fleet of 62 Airbus and Boeing aircraft to 83 destinations worldwide, including the Far East and the Indian subcontinent.
cbeboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #585
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

any news about Air India's future connections to Italy?
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #586
killerk

Likes (Received): 1119

Texas has the 2nd largest Indian community after California but still has no flight to India by an Indian carrier. Emirates airlines has a huge market share of Indian passengers from Houston and Qatar Airways is going to start in November.

From Dallas Fort Worth and Austin, American's "One World" offers connections to India.

Air France-KLM and Lufthansa also offer good connections but at higher prices.

Air India and the private Indian carriers are yet to enter the Texas aviation market. No idea if they have any plans. They r still fighting in NY area and Bay area. Air India is known to fly to only the traditional cities (like NY in North America, London Heathrow and Frankfurt in Europe and Dubai in Middle East) and lose out to competetion there. I don't know when they will have the sense to tap into the other unconventional but high in demand metros of the world.
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #587
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Texas has the 2nd largest Indian community after California but still has no flight to India by an Indian carrier. Emirates airlines has a huge market share of Indian passengers from Houston and Qatar Airways is going to start in November.

From Dallas Fort Worth and Austin, American's "One World" offers connections to India.

Air France-KLM and Lufthansa also offer good connections but at higher prices.

Air India and the private Indian carriers are yet to enter the Texas aviation market. No idea if they have any plans. They r still fighting in NY area and Bay area. Air India is known to fly to only the traditional cities (like NY in North America, London Heathrow and Frankfurt in Europe and Dubai in Middle East) and lose out to competetion there. I don't know when they will have the sense to tap into the other unconventional but high in demand metros of the world.
I don't think so.

http://www.littleindia.com/news/132/...006-11-12.html

New York and New Jersey are well ahead of Texas. The New York City area will always be king, when it comes to Asian Indian population.

Houston has a comparable number of Indians to Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta. None of these cities have direct flights to India. I would expect places like Los Angeles, San Fransisco, and Washington to get flights to India before any of these cities.

Even the New York to New Delhi or Chicago to New Delhi routes are really pushing it in terms of distance. It's not that flights beyond that are impossible, they're just unlikely when alternatives are available. I think American Airlines will prefer to fly people to Chicago and Continental would prefer to fly them to Newark to connect to India. The extra 1,000 or so miles to Texas is pretty far when you consider these U.S. to India flights are already pushing it in terms of distance.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #588
killerk

You are right about the metro area population.

I was talking about the whole state of Texas. If u r from India, u will understand that the state area is bigger than the whole of south India (5 south Indian states inc Goa and union territories together and has 3rd and 5th largest metro areas and 5 cities in the top 15 most populated in US)

Based on the American Community survey done by the US Census bureau in 2006 Texas has the 2nd largest population of Asian Indians after California (that includes the whole Indian Subcontinent)....Now combine this with neighboring states of New Mexico, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Now if NY, NJ, PA, CT had been one state, the number would have been significantly higher, even higher than California.

My point is this market has not at all been tapped into by the Indian Airline companies while the Middle east and European ones were sensible enough to do that though there is not a significant middle eastern or european population in this area (leaving aside the hub-spoke concept)
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #589
killerk

On the same note, the maximum number of passengers (more than 50%) who flew Emirates airlines from Houston were passengers from South India thanks to their strong connections to the region. And now Qatar Airways is going to start in November 2008.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM   #590
Paddington

Quote:
You are right about the metro area population.

I was talking about the whole state of Texas. If u r from India, u will understand that the state area is bigger than the whole of south India (5 south Indian states inc Goa and union territories together and has 3rd and 5th largest metro areas and 5 cities in the top 15 most populated in US)

Based on the American Community survey done by the US Census bureau in 2006 Texas has the 2nd largest population of Asian Indians after California (that includes the whole Indian Subcontinent)....Now combine this with neighboring states of New Mexico, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Now if NY, NJ, PA, CT had been one state, the number would have been significantly higher, even higher than California.

My point is this market has not at all been tapped into by the Indian Airline companies while the Middle east and European ones were sensible enough to do that though there is not a significant middle eastern or european population in this area (leaving aside the hub-spoke concept)
LOL. That's 100% bullshit. Texas does not have the second largest Indian population, not according to any census survey out there. I even included a link to the American Community Survey.

Quote:
California

43%

New York

34%

New Jersey

35%

Texas

36%

Illinois

26%
Arey sala, tum undha ho kya?

Apparently you can't read because I highlighted a number of other reasons why there aren't flights from India to Texas, like distance, and the presence of numerous direct flights to India in cities that would be flown over on the great circle (New York, Chicago) by airlines that have hubs in both places (Continental, AA).

Last edited by Paddington; June 22nd, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM   #591
world1
YAAY! IM 17!

Likes (Received): 2

I tht THIS IS an AVIATION THREAD....!!!!!???
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM   #592
killerk

Paddington.....
I am not blind...maybe u r a fan of North east and california like most desis in US and Indian airline companies.......(apparently the whole of India thinks that US is just California and NY, thanks to IT and Bollywood)

I repeat what I said, Indian airline companies are losing out on the huge revenue they can make in the Mid-west part of US. If I use your analogy, emirates airlines should not be flying to Houston. How many Emaratis are there in Houston? What i said was that Emirates airlines mints money on the Indian sector thanks to the lack of foresight of Indian airline companies that still think (like you) that NY and san Francisco are the places to be.....(and try to find out if Air India is doing good on JFK sector, they flew a plane empty once) and Qatar Airways in also going to start in November realizing the potential (maybe Houston has 50-100 Qatari residents)....

Texas has the 2nd largest Indian community based on the ACS of the US census bureau because for them Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Nepalis are all the same aka Asian Indians.......Dallas Fort Worth metropolitan area has the largest Nepali community in US from what the Nepalis there tell me.
Most of these Nepalis used to fly to Kathmandu via Delhi till few years ago. Now they use the Middle east destinations as their transit point.

The US based and Indian run aviation companies not having long haul aircraft is a dumb excuse...they need to get them if they want to stay in competition.
I hear Continental is getting Boeing 777-200LR and they hope to start long distance flights from IAH soon.

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/25609/0/1906D1934/
The above news article shows how forward thinking and diligent Air India is

In the meantime people like me from Texas will fly Qatar Airways to India (i booked my tkt for Feb 2009) as they offer 1 stop connection between Houston and 9 cities in India while Air India can crib about the losses they make.......
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #593
Paddington

Quote:
Paddington.....
I am not blind...maybe u r a fan of North east and california like most desis in US and Indian airline companies.......(apparently the whole of India thinks that US is just California and NY, thanks to IT and Bollywood)

I repeat what I said, Indian airline companies are losing out on the huge revenue they can make in the Mid-west part of US. If I use your analogy, emirates airlines should not be flying to Houston. How many Emaratis are there in Houston? What i said was that Emirates airlines mints money on the Indian sector thanks to the lack of foresight of Indian airline companies that still think (like you) that NY and san Francisco are the places to be.....(and try to find out if Air India is doing good on JFK sector, they flew a plane empty once) and Qatar Airways in also going to start in November realizing the potential (maybe Houston has 50-100 Qatari residents)....

Texas has the 2nd largest Indian community based on the ACS of the US census bureau because for them Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Nepalis are all the same aka Asian Indians.......Dallas Fort Worth metropolitan area has the largest Nepali community in US from what the Nepalis there tell me.
Most of these Nepalis used to fly to Kathmandu via Delhi till few years ago. Now they use the Middle east destinations as their transit point.

The US based and Indian run aviation companies not having long haul aircraft is a dumb excuse...they need to get them if they want to stay in competition.
I hear Continental is getting Boeing 777-200LR and they hope to start long distance flights from IAH soon.

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/25609/0/1906D1934/
The above news article shows how forward thinking and diligent Air India is

In the meantime people like me from Texas will fly Qatar Airways to India (i booked my tkt for Feb 2009) as they offer 1 stop connection between Houston and 9 cities in India while Air India can crib about the losses they make.......
What, you mean this U.S. department American Community Survey about Asian Indian population in the states contradicting you for the third time?

Arey sala tum gadha ho ki kya? Ub thisra bar hum post kiya hain is ko. Ungreji nahin sumajh mein aata hai, or lagta hai ki Hindi bhi nahin aata hai tum ko. Agar phir bakwas bologe to hum tum ko khub marenge.

The main reason they have direct flights from Houston to the Middle East is because they have so many oil interests there. Is that not obvious? Halliburton's CEOs were going there so frequently they have a dual HQ now in the Middle East as well where half their management lives.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #594
killerk

Quote:
What, you mean this U.S. department American Community Survey about Asian Indian population in the states contradicting you for the third time?

Arey sala tum gadha ho ki kya? Ub thisra bar hum post kiya hain is ko. Ungreji nahin sumajh mein aata hai, or lagta hai ki Hindi bhi nahin aata hai tum ko. Agar phir bakwas bologe to hum tum ko khub marenge.

The main reason they have direct flights from Houston to the Middle East is because they have so many oil interests there. Is that not obvious? Halliburton's CEOs were going there so frequently they have a dual HQ now in the Middle East as well where half their management lives.
Mind ur language man.....Mujhe Hindi bhi aata hai aur angrezi bhi aate hai....

I am a transportation planner who knows the aviation industry in and out.......
If only ppl with oil interests were flying these airlines, then there should have been more flights to Riyadh from Houston than Dubai......Do u know how many people from Halliburton moved to Dubai from Houston? Maybe 10 and u tell me Emirates started a daily flight on a Boeing 777-200 LR for these 10 people.....

And dont argue with me about UAE, I have spend most of my life there and know the place in and out....

Do u know anything about the hub-spoke concept......Do u know that Lufthansa has more flights to Indian cities that all of the indian airlines combined to germany.....y becos Germans love India???

Ask a financial analyst at continental airlines here in Houston....they will tell u how Emirates has taken over the significant Indian business they had from Texas....

BTW, refer to the post above on how Qatar airways wants to focus on Indian market.......

My point is if India based airlines don't start flying to Texas (as no other airline till date offers direct flights) with a huge south asian community, they will lose out......

If u don't have the common sense to understand this basic issue and keep arguing about the census numbers and calling me names, then I can't help u man!!!
and if u have some sort of decency, please refrain from using abusive language!!!!!

since u know English, read this article, if u can't understand, I'll explain it to you
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1152021000.htm

Now read this
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...wscolumn6.html
DFW airport has been trying for Air India flights since 2004.....
Do u know how many telecom companies and Outsourcing firms with significant presence in India have base in DFW metro area!!!? that will require a forum by itself

u can call me donkey again, like u did in your last post but that will not change the fact that there is demand for Indian flights in Texas and that the market is under supplied!!
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #595
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
?

man your hindi is quite bad!
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #596
Euromast
Mast Malang

Likes (Received): 1388

this is not mainstream hindi. Its kind of bihari
Euromast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #597
zenith_suv

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromast View Post
this is not mainstream hindi. Its kind of bihari
that too a very poor version.

Quote:
Foreign airlines flock to India, ignore global downturn

Mumbai: They are cutting flights to several destinations in the wake of a worldwide slump in business, but international airlines are doing just the opposite in India because they believe the country’s international air traffic will only grow in the coming years.

Interestingly, this comes even as the domestic aviation business is going through a downturn.

Large carriers already operating here such as British Airways and Emirates are either increasing the number of flights to Indian cities they already fly to, or beginning to fly to new cities, while smaller players such RAK Airways and Garuda Indonesia are starting to fly into the country.
India is seen as a growing market for international airline traffic and the current market size is nearly $5 billion (Rs21,000 crore) a year, said a senior official with a foreign airline.

“India, with its huge middle-class population of over 250 million, is like an untapped gold mine,” said K. Ravindran, chief operating officer, RAK Airways, which started operations in India from April, flying between Kozhikode and Ras al-Khaimah in the United Arab Emirates. “With its present international travel market not even covering 2% of the population, the country offers large opportunities for airlines. India is an important geographic area in all our future network plans.”
zenith_suv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #598
mastboy_86

Likes (Received): 0

CSIA (Mumbai International Airport)

INTEGRATED TERMINAL 2

mastboy_86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #599
zenith_suv

Quote:
WL Ross to invest $100 mn in Spicejet

Quote:
Low cost carrier Spicejet on Monday said US-based private equity company WL Ross & Co LLC will invest 100 million dollar (over Rs 420 crore) in the company for business requirements.

Shareholders of Spicejet including Royal Holding Services Ltd, Istithmar and Ajay Singh and Goldman Sachs, in capacity as a bondholder of the company, today entered into definitive agreements with WL Ross & Co to this effect, Spicejet said in a filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange.

Besides, Goldman Sachs has also agreed to subscribe to equity warrants of the company under the preferential issue guidelines of SEBI, subject to receipt of requisite approvals, Spicejet added.

Shares of Spicejet reacted sharply to this news and surged as much as 9.59 per cent from last close to touch an intra-day high of Rs 31.40. The shares of the company were trading at Rs 30.35, a jump of 5.93 per cent from its previous closing price and over 18.10 lakh shares exchanged hands on the BSE in the morning trade.

Earlier, on July 15, SpiceJet had said a private equity firm led by billionaire Wilbur Ross would invest 80 million dollar (Rs345 crore) in the low cost airline.

"WL Ross is one of the largest and the most experienced investor in the world. With this investment, we have no doubt that SpiceJet will fulfil its promise of emerging as India's leading airline," SpiceJet board member Bhulo Kansagra had said.

This would be WL Ross' second investment in India. Last year, WL Ross had acquired apparel maker OCM India for about 37 million dollar.
Source - Economic Times
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #600
zenith_suv

Trial run at Delhi airport's new runway from Aug 21

Quote:
Trial run at Delhi airport's new runway from Aug 21

Delhi airport's third airstrip - Asia's longest at 4,430 metres - will undergo a trial run from Aug 21, a top airport official said Monday.

New Delhi, Delhi, India, 2008-08-11 20:45:02

Delhi airport's third airstrip - Asia's longest at 4,430 metres - will undergo a trial run from Aug 21, a top airport official said Monday.

The decision was taken after a surprise visit to the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport here by Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) chief Kanu Gohain and his countrpart at the Airports Authority of India (AAI) K. Ramalingam Aug 9.

'They were satisfied with the progress of work at the airport,' said I. Prabhakar Rao, the chief development officer at Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL), the company developing the IGI airport here.

Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel is expected to be present during the trial run of the third runway, named 11-29.

'An Air India aircraft will land on the new runway without passengers. Other carriers too are expected to follow. We expect commercial operations from the third runway soon after the trial run finishes,' said Rao.

Maintaining that the runway construction was almost complete, he said: 'The navigation equipment has been installed by the AAI. The runway lighting systems are one of the most advanced in the world.'

DIAL has completed procedural checks by the DGCA, the aviation regulator, and the Central Industrial Security Force will de deployed during the trial run, Rao said.

The new runway will also have advanced instrument landing system, which allows aircraft to land in visibility as low as 50 metres. DIAL upgraded several new aircraft parking stands to meet this standard.

The runway construction involved 2.3 million metric cubes of earthwork and embankment filling. 'That is enough to form a 210 km long freight train. The runway is more than two metre thick, comprising seven layers of filling, concrete-treated base and asphalt concrete,' said Rao.

Over 650,000 tonnes of asphalt concrete has been used, which, according to the DIAL official, could have built 75 km of six-lane expressway.

'We have adopted eco-friendly methods during the construction of the runway and the taxiways. We have extensively used fly-ash in concrete and other cement-based material,' he said.

The new runway is expected to nearly double the airport's peak hour capacity from 35-40 aircraft movements currently to about 75. Currently, the two existing parallel runways handle nearly 700 flights a day.

Yet, the hovering time, which has come down with measures such as adding rapid exit taxiways that allow aircraft to move away from the runway faster, and reducing time between two flight take-offs, is still about 20 minutes.

'We are conducting a study for upgrading the main runway (28-10) and another runway adjoining the new runway,' Rao said.

DIAL is yet to decide whether the new runway will be used just for international flights or domestic or both.

The real benefit, according to it, will be visible in 2010 when most airlines move to the new terminal building that is being built along the third runway.

By end-2010 or early the next year, four international carriers - Emirates, British Airways, Lufthansa and Air France - may start their A380 service to New Delhi from Dubai, London, Frankfurt and Paris.