daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #1
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8902

LEIPZIG | Public Transport

: Prost:

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #2
KlausDiggy

City Tunnel | Central Station | 18.07.14

Old January 24th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #3
KlausDiggy

City Tunnel | Station Markt | 18.07.14

Bilder von mir auf flickr.com

437.001, dimlys1994, MiaM, Arnorian, solomun and 2 others liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #4
KlausDiggy

City Tunnel | Station Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz| 18.07.14

Old January 24th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #5
KlausDiggy

City Tunnel | Station Bayerischer Bahnhof | 18.07.14

437.001, dimlys1994, MiaM, Arnorian, solomun and 2 others liked this post
Old January 25th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #6
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

This is the best rail tunnel in the world. I don't know about others, but this tunnel doesn't make you claustraphobic. Thanks, KlausDiggy

I requested to add and rename this thread into LEIPZIG | Public Transport, so to add for this thread, here is the map from urbanrail.net with tram lines:

Old January 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #7
KlausDiggy

Thank you, I also think that the City Tunnel belongs to the best S-Bahn tunnel.
He is very well illuminated and much more spacious compared to others.

Here is some informations about the City Tunnel

The City Tunnel project as a whole is 5.3 KM long, the central part runs as a tunnel under the city center of Leipzig and connects the Central Station with the Bayerischer Bahnhof.

The two cylindrical tubes that were broken by the tunnel boring machine, are running 1438 meters long with an internal diameter of 7.90 meters up to 22 meters below the city center.

There are 6 breakpoints.
4 of them run in the underground, 2 aboveground.

The 4 underground stations have each an island platform,
The 2 aboveground breakpoints have each two side platforms.

The platform length is 140 meters.
(Except the main station with 215 meters, 400 meters option)

(Google Translate)

Source: http://www.citytunnelleipzig.de/de/t...che-daten.html

dimlys1994, MiaM, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; January 25th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

What was the cost of this project? It is one of the best projects in the world if you ask me.

KlausDiggy liked this post
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #9
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej_LJ View Post
What was the cost of this project? It is one of the best projects in the world if you ask me.
€960 million (as of 2010)

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Last edited by dimlys1994; January 25th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #10
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

It looks very similar to Malmö´s Citytunneln in the design.

dimlys1994, KlausDiggy, Urbanus, Skalka liked this post
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #11
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
This is the best rail tunnel in the world. I don't know about others, but this tunnel doesn't make you claustraphobic. Thanks, KlausDiggy
I agree. I think it's partially due to a change in which method is considered the best to build stations in tunnel. Nowdays a tunnel station seems to usually be buildt by digging out a rectangular box from above and thus it almost automatically gets spacious.

Quote:
I requested to add and rename this thread into LEIPZIG | Public Transport
Is there any other Leipzig thread? I have some pictures to show that I took in 2011, and then there were of course no City-tunnel so they don't fit this thread unless the rename takes place.

I really like LVB's line map, with different thickness on the lines depening on how frequent the lines are. The colour scheme is good because it makes the map easy to read. It's also good that the time table for the night lines is so easy to remember - from central stations all trams and buses depart at 1:11, 2:22 and 3:33 (and in the weekends 1:45 and 3:00).

LVB - Fahrplan (map)

MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #12
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Renamed. Can be a general Leipzig public transport thread now.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #13
dimlys1994

Some words about tram system - opened in 1872, electricified in 1896. With its 13 lines, route length of 148.3 km (92.1 mi) and 510 tram stops, the network is currently the second biggest in Germany, after the Berlin tramway network. All photos are from Wikimedia Commons. These ones are maden by Bomberdier:

NGT8D (Leipzig):

MiaM, geometarkv, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #14
MiaM

That also makes the Leipzig tram network the biggest tram network in Germany in the places where tram is the public transport backbone. (After all, U-bahn and S-bahn is somewhat more a backbone than tram in Berlin).

There are some interesting things with the Lepizig tram system.

1. It has a (more or less) unique gauge.

2. A few years ago they found out that it would cost less to build new trams at their own workshop instead of buying new trams.

Wikipedia (sorry, in German, there are no good english Wikipedia page) about Leoliner
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #15
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

That thread is long overdue, I'd just say thank you very much!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Thank you, I also think that the City Tunnel belongs to the best S-Bahn tunnel. He is very well illuminated and much more spacious compared to others.
*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
It looks very similar to Malmö´s Citytunneln in the design.

Welcome to the 21st century and its ubiquitous IKEA look.
It's weird if you think about it but this is the 2010s nowadays and the 1970s when most of the West German crossrails were built are just as far back in the past as the 1930s (when the Berlin tunnel was built) used to be back then. This makes for an obvious difference in style.

There is however one major difference between Malmö and Leipzig.
Malmö only had railroad hinterland in one direction before the Öresund link went online, only then was a crossrail scheme viable or even thinkable. From then on, it only took ten years for a crossrail to materialize.
Leipzig didn't have any of these problems, but there it took a good century to materialize a crossrail; be it due to two world wars, a change in its desired course with abandonment and re-use of carcasses, notorious lack of money during communism etc.

Um, an Art Nouveau underground railroad station at Leipzig Augustusplatz. What a great thought...
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #16
MiaM

Well, once upon a time Malmö also had railway lines coming in from different directions with more than one terminus station spread out across the city. And exactly like Leipzig there were connections made so all lines could use the same central station. That connection line was then also used for the Öresund link trains until the tunnel got buildt.

Another thing common between Leipzig and Malmö is that the tunnel station closest to the central station (Markt/Triangeln) has more or less no real links to local public transportations.

Old January 28th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #17
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Hauptwerkstatt - Main Workshop

The Technisches Zentrum Heiterblick is one of the recent projects of the LVB (the Leipziger Verkehrsbetriebe, literally translated into English as the Leipzig Transport Company). It consists of a two maintenance workshops and one covered tram depot. One of the workshops, for which the foundation had been laid in 2012 - was inaugurated last year. It alone cost 54 million euros. By 2020 the LVB, together with the Free State of Saxony and the EU will invest more than 100 million euros into this project.

A new bridge spanning the railroad tracks between Leipzig and Dresden.

Main entrance area.

The first built workshop.

In the pictures below you can see the home-made tram 'Leoliner'.

This area is reserved for the covered tram depot.

By me.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:04 AM   #18
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

Look at that interactive transit diagram by the LVB.
It looks like a nice spaghetti bowl and tells you anything about the ring you need to know and it shows the S-Bahn as well. I like the sensibly color-coded tram lines.

Green & Blue: Accesses Central Station only.
Red: Accesses both Central Station and a southern station (W/L, Bavarian).
Yellow: Lacks any access to Central Station, but accesses W/L.

Blue and Red also access August Square, the intended intermediate stop in pre-war tunnel plans. Maybe it's better that the course was changed after the war, August Square seems overserved whereas Markt and W/L are rather the opposite.

In essence, the intermodal networking effect of the city tunnel is fulfilled with merely two stations, Central at the northern ring edge and W/L at the southern. Market Square inbetween is indeed kinda analoguous to Malmö Triangle station, an underground station amid a pedestrian zone, so to speak.

Bavarian Station is an odd one. It has quite some tram access, but not the accessibility of a ring station. I guess it was hardly used as a train station ever since the end of the war and after Germany became a divided nation. Seems as if that site were more of a destination for itself than anything else.

Last but not least the two overground stations Nord and MDR. Nord seems to be developed enough in its intermodal access, but MDR makes me sad. Former butchery, now broadcasting station, wonderful infill station, but merely one bus line. In essence, Leipzig MDR is a bit like Malmö Hyllie, but with more stations between this and the innermost city. It definitely needs to get more busy than that!

MiaM liked this post
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:36 AM   #19
MiaM

I guess that Bavarian Station / Bayerischer Bahnhof is where it is mostly because there were already railway land there from the south, so ending the tunnel there gave the shortest useable tunnel length and thus the best value for money. The location of the old railway alignment/land and the location of the MDR skyscraper probably made the choice of where to place the MDR station rather easy. I think it's a really good thing that there is good public transportation to the regional public radio/television house. It's fast and easy for guests invited for interviews e.t.c.

The map shows even more information with it's colours. Magenta/lilac = bus line that access the central station. But what is the difference between pink and grey bus lines? Is it that pink = lines that run atleast everey 15 minutes on atleast a part of the line?
(P.S. I really like that the map/diagram is both available interactive online and also as offline PDF's. For all us tourists that are a bit cheap it's nice to be able to have the map in a smartphone/computer without having to pay for mobile data traffic ).

I can't find it online but atleast in the summer of 2011 the printed time tables for each tram line had information about some of the more important places nearby the line.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #20
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
Bavarian Station is an odd one. It has quite some tram access, but not the accessibility of a ring station. I guess it was hardly used as a train station ever since the end of the war and after Germany became a divided nation. Seems as if that site were more of a destination for itself than anything else.

Last but not least the two overground stations Nord and MDR. Nord seems to be developed enough in its intermodal access, but MDR makes me sad. Former butchery, now broadcasting station, wonderful infill station, but merely one bus line. In essence, Leipzig MDR is a bit like Malmö Hyllie, but with more stations between this and the innermost city. It definitely needs to get more busy than that!
Railway station are not necessarily network nodes that provide interchanges. Some are mere access points for the surround area. This is what said station simply are. And there is nothing wrong with it.

MiaM liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote