daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:31 PM   #21
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
Last but not least the two overground stations Nord and MDR. Nord seems to be developed enough in its intermodal access, but MDR makes me sad. Former butchery, now broadcasting station, wonderful infill station, but merely one bus line. In essence, Leipzig MDR is a bit like Malmö Hyllie, but with more stations between this and the innermost city. It definitely needs to get more busy than that!
Really? I thought that MDR railway station has no connection to MDR/ARD TV station

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:11 AM   #22
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
I guess that Bavarian Station / Bayerischer Bahnhof is where it is mostly because there were already railway land there from the south, so ending the tunnel there gave the shortest useable tunnel length and thus the best value for money.
That's a no-brainer. The thing is that I'd rather seen Bayerischer Bf living more up to its name by, let's say, getting the extended platform length that the underground Hauptbahnhof station got in order to fit in ICEs. On the other hand, a remnant is allowed to be a remnant.

Quote:
The location of the old railway alignment/land and the location of the MDR skyscraper probably made the choice of where to place the MDR station rather easy. I think it's a really good thing that there is good public transportation to the regional public radio/television house. It's fast and easy for guests invited for interviews e.t.c.
I don't bitch about locations, I bitch about the fact that the promotion video for the city tunnel actually advertises Leipzig MDR as "providing access to the bus network of the LVB". Indeed it does by bus line 74, but I'd rather imagined that they'd use the Semmelweis Street bridge at Leipzig MDR to make it a focal point for LVB busses all over the city's south. Of course, I didn't know that much of Leipzig.

Quote:
The map shows even more information with it's colours. Magenta/lilac = bus line that access the central station. But what is the difference between pink and grey bus lines? Is it that pink = lines that run atleast everey 15 minutes on atleast a part of the line?
The magenta/lilac/violet/whatever lines are also noticably thicker, so I'd say that this indicates a more frequent headway that's somehow comparable to the trams. I don't see a connection at all to Central Station. Did you notice the circular line 77 in the north of Leipzig? That orbit exists on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Railway station are not necessarily network nodes that provide interchanges. Some are mere access points for the surround area. This is what said station simply are. And there is nothing wrong with it.
Alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Really? I thought that MDR railway station has no connection to MDR/ARD TV station
What else did you think MDR was supposed to mean?
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #23
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ris-trams.html

Leipzig selects Solaris trams
06 Feb 2015

The Leipzig network operates a mixed fleet

Solaris has supplied trams to other German cities, including Jena

GERMANY: Leipzig transport authority LVB has selected Solaris to supply five trams with options for a further 36. The value of the base order is €7·7m.

Deliveries are scheduled to start in 2016 and run until 2020 if all options are called off. The 1 458 mm gauge vehicles are to be 45 m long and will exceed the tender specification for at least 70% low-floor vehicles.

The Polish manufacturer beat a bid from Bombardier to win its third tram export order, following contracts for Jena in 2011 and Braunschweig in 2012

lechevallierpatrick, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #24
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2177

Does anyone know the reason behind such a strange track gauge (1458 mm)? AFAIK, only Leipzig tram system adopts it.

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo è un uomo -

Last edited by Yak79; February 6th, 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #25
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Initially they wanted the system to be in standard gauge (1435 mm ) but messed up the conversion from feet to mm and so the first tracks were build with a 1438 mm gauge.
The tracks used were not very stable and moved apart and that after just a couple of years the gauge changed to about 1460mm.
The company operating the (back then horse-drawn) Trams decided it would be way too expensive to fix the tracks. Instead the company decided to adapt the rolling stock to this new gauge (1458 mm).
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #26
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

Minus 4.83 km tram tracks (double track) in Leipzig. from Connewitz Kreuz to Markkleeberg West, tram line 9. Tracks are being removed from December 2015.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #27
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Is this due to that passengers use the new S-Bahn tunnel instead of the tram?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #28
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Is this due to that passengers use the new S-Bahn tunnel instead of the tram?
Yes
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #29
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

That's definitely a case where the former East repeats the mistakes of the West and you'd think they'd know better. On the other hand, it has very much to do with political geography.

If Markkleeburg hadn't fought against incorporation into Leipzig, a renewal of the tracks would've been paid for from Leipzig coffers. But as it chose to remain an independent municipality, Markkleeburg has to pay its share for maintaining this connection, something that it didn't do. Therefore renewal didn't happen and the tracks' lifetime is nearing its end. The message is clear, if small town Markkleeburg doesn't want to pay for the tracks, it gets no banana. And in order to create effective facts on the ground, they built a new tram track loop in Klemmstraße near Connewitz Railway Station. Luckily for the goth kids turning up each May, the bridge over the railway tracks next to said railway station won't become obsolete as their main convention place is just right inside the borders of Leipzig.

D'oh, I was just there in May without a clue to see the new city tunnel as I was in Dresden anyway earlier that day, taking the tram to Connewitz to see how far gentrification may have come there (not really that bad) and when I was about to turn, one line 11 train after another was full of goth kids and I was more than happy to take the line 31 train that just happened to be there exactly for that purpose, turning just right there so that locals can take a ride in an empty train without sharing it with this invasion. The goth kids convene near a park that's somehow divided by the B2 road, the part in the west belongs to Markkleeburg with a restaurant that used to get served by the moribund line 9 and the part in the east belongs to Leipzig whereas Markkleeburg also extends to the that side of the road but further in the south.
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #30
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

A big mistake. so sad, same has done Mulheim.
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #31
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

But it's mostly in Leipzigs interest that the people in Markkleebberg use public transportation instead of clogging up Leipzigs streets with more and more cars...

Also Mathildenstraße and Koburger Brücke is in Leipzig on this line. How is the standard of theese tracks thats within Leipzig?

One bad thing is that the tracks are in the middle of the road even on the long strecht throug a forrest where there are plenty of space to segregate the traffic better. Whoever gets the tax money from car ownership and car fuel should pay a part of the track renovation as atleast some of the wear is due to road trafic running over the tracks.

Salka: That must have been visitors to WGT you did see

Line 11 has far shorter stretch in Markkleeberg, only two stops, and there is a depot just on the Leipzig side of the administrative border so the risk of a closure in Leipzig seems low.

Skalka liked this post
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #32
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Saxony funds Leipzig LRV order
Monday, November 28, 2016

THE government of the German state of Saxony has allocated Leipzig City Transport (LVB) €7.3m to fund 50% of an order for nine Solaris Tramino LRVs

LVB awarded the Polish manufacturer a framework contract in March 2015 to supply up to 41 45m-long vehicles to replace the city’s ageing fleet of Tatra trams. The contract included an initial firm order for five vehicles and the latest option takes the total number of LRVs on order to 14

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old February 11th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #33
dimlys1994

New Solaris Tramino tram for Leipzig was presented today:
http://www.lvz.de/Leipzig/Lokales/Pr...arten-Freizeit

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

rakcancer, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; February 11th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #34
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1518

Did you know that old "video" about Leipzig tramways en 1931 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phkrMz6DCwM

The rolling stock was modern (compared with the one in my town - Lyon France - in 1931)

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

dimlys1994, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
nanar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #35
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

How would you rank Leipzig's public transport system on a 1-10 score?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #36
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Solaris Tramino LRVs enter service in Leipzig
July 18, 2017

LEIPZIG launched its new fleet of Solaris Tramino XL low-floor LRVs on July 13, when the first vehicle entered trial passenger service on Line 4 from Gohlis to Stötteritz

LVB awarded the Polish manufacturer a framework contract in March 2015 to supply up to 41 1458mm-gauge vehicles to replace the city’s fleet of Tatra trams. The contract included an initial firm order for five vehicles and an option for nine vehicles was exercised in November 2016. All 14 LRVs will be delivered by the end of this year

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old July 18th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #37
lechevallierpatrick

Likes (Received): 94

I would rank Leipzig's public transport system 7 on a 1 to 10 scale....
lechevallierpatrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote