daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM   #41
Markitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Holy, Expressway Overlap!
Seriously, though...for the past few days they've been shooting some preliminary stuff for the next Batman movie down there at the Old Post Office, which has been "redressed" as the Gotham National Bank.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM   #42
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Yeah, it's fun to watch, although there aren't any "stars" as far as I can tell.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #43
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

The concept is not loose. It's been in production for seven years and is ready to rock and roll as far as I know. There are pleanty of renderings - they just haven't been loosed

Quote:
Does it still look like this?:
Kind of sort of, but, not really. The base hasn't changed much but, above, there is ALOT more glass now.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM   #44
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

So why couldn't they leave the east and west walls intact, but put a cool garden atop the parking garage in between the north and south towers? People inside the towers would have windows and a view, but the building's historic envelope would survive intact.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #45
Chicagotom

Small Fire Breaks Out - Batman Set

Posted: Tuesday, 24 April 2007 12:12PM

Fire Reported At Old Chicago Post Office

CHICAGO (WBBM) -- A rubbish fire ignited at the old Chicago Post Office building Tuesday afternoon where the new Batman movie is currently being filmed.

WBBMs Bernie Tafoya reports from the scene.

A rubbish fire ignited on the top floor of the old Post Office, 300 S. Riverside Plaza, according to Larry Langford, a spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department.

The new Batman movie is currently being filmed in the building and filmmakers did not start this fire as a part of the movie, Langford said.

"This fire is not a fake," Langford said.

Langford said the fire is not out of control and that no injuries have been reported. The latest reports indicate that the fire has been struck out.

"We were trying to account for all of the Batman personnel," Langford said.

A source tells CBS 2, Newsradio 780's sister station, fan on the roof may have contributed to the fire by igniting some garbage.

Newstipper Tony Smaniotto, who works at 311 South Wacker and has been watching them shoot the movie and tells Newsradio 780 that the Post Office fire is separate and real.

"Smoke started bellowing out of the northwest corner of the building and every fire truck in the city is over there," Smaniotto said.

The old Post Office has been vacant since 1996, when the Postal Service moved into a newer nearby building. Plans are afoot to turn it into a hotel and residential building.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #46
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I was walking down there on South Canal on Saturday.. pretty cool stuff.

Got the image off of Google (Superhero Hype)
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #47
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
So why couldn't they leave the east and west walls intact, but put a cool garden atop the parking garage in between the north and south towers? People inside the towers would have windows and a view, but the building's historic envelope would survive intact.
And how do you propose that those walls be supported? I question whether or not that would be a great space anyway - I mean, you'd be inside a park surrounded by massive walls. There are instances where that could be very cool, but, there are also times when it could be a prison-yard-like condition. I'm just not sure I see the point.
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #48
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
And how do you propose that those walls be supported? I question whether or not that would be a great space anyway - I mean, you'd be inside a park surrounded by massive walls. There are instances where that could be very cool, but, there are also times when it could be a prison-yard-like condition. I'm just not sure I see the point.
Isn't that what the architect is hired to do? Take the need of the client and design the product? Couldn't a system be designed that would support the walls and leave the top mostly open? I like Mr. Downtown's idea in that it gives a nice view for the towers, is environmentally friendly, and preserves a historically sensitive landmark.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #49
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Can you imagine the effect on the southwest Loop area if the Post Office actually goes ahead with the redevelopment and that the tower portion is added to Union Station? Can you imagine how exciting the "grand entrance" through the Eisenhower to downtown would become?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #50
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
And how do you propose that those walls be supported?
Um, the same way they are now. It's pretty common to cut away the center of floor slabs in standard mushroom-cap concrete loft buildings. I presume you'd leave a perimeter 14 feet deep to the first set of columns. For that matter, why not do a 28-foot depth and sell units in the east and west walls?

Quote:
I question whether or not that would be a great space anyway - I mean, you'd be inside a park surrounded by massive walls.
In Chicago's climate it might be better to do it as a winter garden. Imagine both hotel and condos facing a massive winter garden with a pool, Canary Island palms inside and a running track encircling it. If you're not trying to keep it at 72 degrees, you could probably do it with a Teflon-coated nylon roof (like Skyline Stage at Navy Pier, or Potsdamer Platz) so you wouldn't have the expense of doing a new glass roof.

Quote:
I'm just not sure I see the point.
To keep the massing of the Old Post Office so that entering downtown continues to be like coming through a gate in a massive old city wall, instead of like passing under a tollway oasis.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #51
ChiPsy

I'm generally with Geoff on this one, but that tollway comparison is hilarious
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #52
PrintersRowBoiler

I really like Mr. Downtown's Idea. I too was picturing a winter garden atrium type area like at Navy Pier. Driving under it yesterday evening, it seems wide enough to make it not feel like a prison. What a beer garden it could make in the wintertime - you can watch the cars from the Eisenhower go under you! I hate to see the building that wowed me so much as a child be destroyed to turn a better profit for a developer.
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #53
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, if you're talking about making the perimeter of the entire center section of the building into a single-loaded residential building, that's a bit of a different story. Unfortunately, now you're talking about 40 feet of depth on each side of the building - leaving, something like 80 to 100 feet between the two "newly created" buildings. I still have to question the demand for a winter-garden in a residential building. It would be a huge operating expense that just isn't likely to create the returns needed to sustain it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #54
Chicagotom

$51 mil. in TIF sought for Old Main Post Office

- edit
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #55
trvlr70

Wow...that's a lot of money to ask the city to contribute. I kinda wish I liked the design more.

Hmmmm...not too sure about this one.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #56
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I hate to see the building that wowed me so much as a child be destroyed to turn a better profit for a developer.
Yeah, I hear ya PRB. Like you, I still have fond childhood memories of our family's weekly drive downtown to attend the Sunday Service at the world's tallest church, the Chicago Temple.

You knew you were approaching the city when the upcoming highway seemed to mysteriously disappear into the darkness of overpowering and towering concrete curtains...
We'd follow the highway into the darkness, through the concrete curtains -- when, out of nowhere, those curtains would suddenly open up to reveal the grandest stage of all, complete with a full cast of blue- and white-collar characters living out a real-life story of hardcore hustle and bustle in a big, brawny City that was legendary for its Broad Shoulders.

Would hate to imagine future generations being deprived of that experience for a lame new landmark known as "MrDowntown's Toll-booth Oasis."

But, who knows? Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. Chicago has been blessed with so many incredible projects these last few years. There's really been nothing to complain about, it's crazy.
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #57
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

$51 million for a mediocre redevelopment plan? No thanks.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #58
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

I understant is a huge undertaking but 51 million for a mediocre non-descript rehab sounds like a lot.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #59
PrintersRowBoiler

I cannot believe the post office is getting $10 for the building and then turning around to do remediation for $9M. $51M for 300 condos, 540,000 SF of office, and 256 hotel rooms? How can they possible make that back? Even JUST for the condos (assume average unit $400,000, 2.5% taxes, the city AND the county SHARE $3,000,000 annually).

And do we really NEED more hotel rooms and office space?

I find it hard to believe a developer can't take a free building completely mitigated for environmental issues considered to be historically sensitive and have difficulty trying to turn a profit.

I am very reluctant to get excited about this project. If they preserved the building in its existing form, it would be one thing, but they really can't play the preservation card.

OT... would a developer such as this one get audited for the construction costs to collect the TIF monies?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #60
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
I cannot believe the post office is getting $10 for the building and then turning around to do remediation for $9M. $51M for 300 condos, 540,000 SF of office, and 256 hotel rooms? How can they possible make that back? Even JUST for the condos (assume average unit $400,000, 2.5% taxes, the city AND the county SHARE $3,000,000 annually).
TIF dollars aren't intended for the City to turn a profit. They're to spur development where it's needed. In the end, that usually turns into tax dollars. Even in your scenario, they're making money after twenty years... how is that a bad deal?

Oh, and that doesn't even count the taxes being paid on the retail or office space. Oh, and then there's the hotel taxes.