daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #121
JMHArch

Likes (Received): 0

Honestly just reuse the building or tear the Post Office down and build two 40-60 story towers on both sides of Congress Parkway in the span of ten years. What is up with these british developers wanting to build property in Chicago that have no chance of ever happening?

Last edited by JMHArch; July 22nd, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
JMHArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM   #122
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Aww...man. That will NEVER happen.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #123
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Take a bow, STR: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0..._by_height.php

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:26 AM   #124
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^While that's kind of cool, I ended up being much more interested in the article on the naked woman.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #125
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHArch View Post
Honestly just reuse the building or tear the Post Office down and...
Stop right there.

We've lost too many pre-WWII buildings already, and this one looks gorgeous from Harrison or Van Buren Streets.

Sorry. They did the right thing by landmarking it before anyone had the chance to demolish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Even if I were in favour of another supertall proposal for Chicago, I wouldn't want any supertall buillding (especially one that is 2000-ft high) get built near 233 South Wacker Drive. if I wanted that tower built, it would be moved to the old Chicago Spire site.
It depends on the intended use of that supertall building.

I personally don't care for "world's tallest" or "North America's tallest" titles, but a new, moderately-tall supertall (maybe around as tall as Trump or AON) could very well fit this general area just southwest of the Loop, provided we're talking about a tower that would primarily house office space (given if there's any demand for additional office space in Chicago), and maybe some residential, but no hotel.

If we're talking about hotel or entirely-residential, then the area you mentioned (the Spire site...not sure if that's considered part of Streeterville), then yes, that location is much more appropriate for residential/hotel, and maybe some retail and restaurant.

But if we're talking about expanding the CBD a few blocks southwest of the official Loop, to encompass the area around the old post office, then a supertall office tower in the vicinity wouldn't be a bad idea...just a block from Metra's LaSalle St Station and LaSalle Blue line, a couple blocks from CTA's LaSalle/Van Buren station as well, and not terribly far from Union Station, it'd be very convenient for bringing more workers into the city. The only downside is that, with Congress Parkway turning into the Eisenhower Expressway in that same exact area makes the spot pedestrian-unfriendly. So, any expansion of the CBD in this direction would have to address this problem.

However, the Davies/Booth proposal is absolutely hideous for all the reasons well-articlated here: Plan for old post office: A suburban throwback, and a pipe dream (Chicago Tribune).

Personally, I'd locate the supertall in the empty lot just south of Harrison and between Wells and the river. But not the ugly tower designed by Booth.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #126
JMHArch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
Stop right there.

We've lost too many pre-WWII buildings already, and this one looks gorgeous from Harrison or Van Buren Streets.

Sorry. They did the right thing by landmarking it before anyone had the chance to demolish it.
lol I agree that if it's restored it could look great but honestly in my opinion it's too bulky and it doesn't do much for the area. If anything I would save the two side torrents(or whatever their called) and destroy the section over Congress. Just my opinion.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #127
JMHArch

Of all the recent supertalls (1000' plus) only one's I really wanted were the Waldorf, Waterview and Trump.

Last edited by JMHArch; July 23rd, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM   #128
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^While that's kind of cool, I ended up being much more interested in the article on the naked woman.
Heh heh. I hear ya!
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #129
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHArch View Post
Waterview
The Waterview design was GORGEOUS.... sigh
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #130
JMHArch

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
The Waterview design was GORGEOUS.... sigh
I've always been a fan of the Park Hyatt and I've viewed Waterview as a more gorgeous more elegant version of that design.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #131
rgarrison

Likes (Received): 14

I'm still getting over the loss of Waterview, Waldorf, the Spire. So seeing plans for another super tall in Chicago should get me excited. But for some reason im not excited at all for this.
It's so ugly and looks like its trying to one-up the Sears Tower with 4 antennas instead of two. And having it that close to the Sears tower is a huge no no for me the skyline would look stupid. I don't mind the smaller towers but please dont build the big one.
rgarrison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #132
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

I actually didn't care for the Spire, but the Waterview was beautiful.

I don't care for Calatrava's skyscrapers, but I love his low-rise works. We need to bring him back for maybe [wishful thinking] a transit/high-speed rail/Amtrak/Metra/CTA hub in West Loop, maybe as an expansion of Union Station.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #133
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Hopefully they can redesign this and put something good on the site, Chicago has such an amazing skyline, they should add even more supertalls to it!

What's the chance of something getting built on the Spire site? (Not the actual spire itself of course but hopefully something tall)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #134
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hopefully they can redesign this and put something good on the site, Chicago has such an amazing skyline, they should add even more supertalls to it!

What's the chance of something getting built on the Spire site? (Not the actual spire itself of course but hopefully something tall)
Although there is close to a 0% chance of the spire getting built, I did read an article from 2011, where it said this, "
Quote:
Despite all these dire signals, the Spire’s local broker, Golden of @properties, insists the project isn’t dead. “Death might be an overblown term. I don’t think it’s dead. [Shelbourne is] still actively trying to put something together,” Golden says.

Others are skeptical. “You can’t exactly dance on the grave. But as more time goes by, it’s less likely it will go ahead,” says Antony Wood, executive director of the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, an association of architects, engineers and planners.
Here is the link http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...bacle?page=0,5

For all those that love the Chicago Spire including me, it's not totally impossible, you can still hold on too some hope. If Shelbourne somehow runs into a lot of cash, you can probably bet that the Spire will be built, because since he owns the land, no one else can build on it.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 11th, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote