daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Roadside breakdown and accident aftermath procedures in your country

Suppose a car breaks down on a highway in your country...

What is the normal procedure to follow? Who normally provides towing services - road authority, insurance companies or else?

What if a not-very-serious accident (meaning: no police forensic investigation on the cars involved) - what is the aftermath procedure?

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #2
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Germany: http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/adac-...nhilfe-notruf/ (just call 22 22 22 by cell phone).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #3
admirer of sir ALEX

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

What is the normal procedure to follow? Who normally provides towing services - road authority, insurance companies or else?

What if a not-very-serious accident (meaning: no police forensic investigation on the cars involved) - what is the aftermath procedure?
I suppose that you mean on a broad aspect of all the activities, not only on towing services?

If the car broke down, then it includes; road patrol, traffic center and towing service.The traffic management center(TMC) calls road patrol that needs to put on hard shoulder (behind the vehicle) warning signs&safety equipment in order to protect the broke down car. Then the TMC calls the towing service (with which the highway company has the agreement). All the activities are time limited so the towing company has to send the closest towing car to the accident scene.

In case of an accident, it depends on severity of it. Generally the TMC calls or sends info to: police, towing service, road patrol, road inspection, fire fighters, medical staff, burial service, environmental protection service, emergency service 112.......

Last edited by admirer of sir ALEX; February 7th, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
admirer of sir ALEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

In Serbia you just call 1987 (AMSS) and after some time they tow you're car.
After you report the accident to a police .
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #5
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

In the UK organisations like the AA and the RAC offer breakdown services, the AA and the RAC have their own vans, others like Green Flag use local services.

In the event of a non-serious accident people exchange insurance details.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #6
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:

Towing is done by private companies having an agreement with insurance companies. In case of full insurance, the bill is sent directly to insurance company.

Quote:
The guilty one fills in the standard damage report and sends it to his/her insurance company. Many companies provide with a web interface for that. The insurance company responds with the authorization to bill code.

Typically, the car repair shop does all the paperwork. Those ones have an online access to insurance companies' system to check the insurance details and the authorization, as well as to upload photos of the damages. The insurance company pays the bill directly to the repair shop and the owner of the car pays the deductible (if any) to the repair shop.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #7
admirer of sir ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Germany: http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/adac-...nhilfe-notruf/ (just call 22 22 22 by cell phone).
Is there any website on English, as many here do not know German?
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #8
admirer of sir ALEX

Quote:

It would be nice that you, for the beginning, explain the procedure in NL.
Old February 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Towing is done by private companies having an agreement with insurance companies. In case of full insurance, the bill is sent directly to insurance company.

The guilty one fills in the standard damage report and sends it to his/her insurance company. Many companies provide with a web interface for that. The insurance company responds with the authorization to bill code.

Typically, the car repair shop does all the paperwork. Those ones have an online access to insurance companies' system to check the insurance details and the authorization, as well as to upload photos of the damages. The insurance company pays the bill directly to the repair shop and the owner of the car pays the deductible (if any) to the repair shop.
How do you determine who's guilty? (I mean, yes, if the one who's at fault realizes it and admits it, that's great, but what if he or she doesn't, or if it's not clear?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #10
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
How do you determine who's guilty? (I mean, yes, if the one who's at fault realizes it and admits it, that's great, but what if he or she doesn't, or if it's not clear?)
In most cases it is self evident. In non-clear cases, the insurance companies might present a proposal. In any case, the police can take a lead, and solve the case. If anyone disagrees, the case proceeds to the court of justice.

In case of full insurance, the vehicle can be repaired immediately regardless who is the guilty one. The deductible will be refunded afterwards when applicable.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #11
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Always had a full casco insurance with worldwide assistance, so never worried about this.

I had 3-4 breakdowns with different cars, and called directly the insurance company: they provided fast towing with deposit were I wished, taxi service, return plane and train tickets (when I was abroad), replacement car and reparations. I never had to pay anything as they took care of everything .

To anyone, I strongly recommend to take a good world-widely renowned and full insurance, so you won't have to care of anything, except of driving to your destination.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #12
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

When the snowplow comes, it pushes the wrecked car and bodies into the ditch, in the spring when the snow has melted then we deal with it