daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #41
splat8

Likes (Received): 6698

Here is the latest update on the BRT project courtesy of the Milwaukee Business Journal. For more information on potential stops please visit the link I provided.

Also the ridership numbers provided in the snippet I posted below are incorrect. The route is predicated to attract an additional 9,250 riders a day in addition to the current ridership in the corridor. I am assuming there will probably be a correction to the article by the author in the future.

Quote:
Bus rapid transit route would run along Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee

The proposed bus rapid transit route will run primarily along Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee between the lakefront and Marquette University campus, Milwaukee County announced Tuesday.

The $42 million to $48 million bus rapid transit (BRT) route is envisioned as a major connector between downtown and the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center in Wauwatosa, which are among the region’s largest job centers. The buses could traverse the entire route in about 35 minutes, compared with an estimated 51 minutes under existing bus lines. The route, which could start service in 2019, is predicted to have up to 9,250 riders a day.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...wisconsin.html

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #42
splat8

Some additional coverage of the BRT route selection courtesy of OnMilwaukee.com. I believe this article contains some additional details for those that are interested that the Business Journal article I posted above does not.

Quote:
Recommended BRT route could save riders more than 100 hours a year

After months of public meetings, transit modeling and route analysis, an alignment has been recommended as the East-West Bus Rapid Transit route. The 9-mile route, which can be seen here, travels through Downtown Milwaukee, and through the west side of the city on Wisconsin Avenue and Bluemound Road to 95th Street. The route turns north on 95th Street to the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center and ends at the Watertown Plank Road Park-Ride lot.

Analysis shows that a trip from end to end could take as little as 35 minutes, which in comparison is more than 30% faster than a bus traveling in mixed traffic. That time savings really adds up for riders, who could save up to 112 hours a year on their commute.

http://onmilwaukee.com/visitors/arti...mesavings.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #43
splat8

Below is an updated map from the Milwaukee streetcar newsletter showing the route of the proposed 4th Street extension:

dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #44
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

What will the headways be like?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #45
splat8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
What will the headways be like?

Per the Milwaukee Streetcar website:

Quote:
Hours of operation are still being finalized. Initial plans call for:
Monday through Friday
5 AM to 7 AM – Arriving every 15 minutes
7 AM to 10 PM – Arriving every 10 minutes
10 PM to 12 AM – Arriving every 15 minutes
Saturday
7AM to 12 AM – Arriving every 15 minutes
Sunday
7 AM to 10 PM – Arriving every 15 minutes

http://www.themilwaukeestreetcar.com...-questions.php

mbradleyc liked this post
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #46
splat8

This article is from today's Milwaukee Business Journal. It is covering the initial approval of the 4th St streetcar extension and also has some conceptual renderings of what the city of Milwaukee would like developed on an open lot at 4th St and Wisconsin Ave in conjunction with the streetcar and BRT route.

Quote:
$20 million for Milwaukee streetcar extension to arena endorsed

Milwaukee’s plan to raise $20 million in local spending to extend the streetcar to the downtown arena gained a first endorsement on Thursday.

That money represents Milwaukee’s half of the cost to extend the streetcar along North Fourth and Fifth streets between the Milwaukee Intermodal Station on West St. Paul Avenue and the future arena on West Highland Avenue. The city spending would match a $20 million federal grant Milwaukee applied for in April.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...ension-to.html

[IMG]http://***************/view/img/10017252/image3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://***************/view/img/10017262/image1.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #47
splat8

Some more streetcar related new from today's edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Quote:
Proposed fares, operating schedule announced for streetcar

Officials with the city and business community announced Thursday the proposed fares and operating hours of the city's planned streetcar — and said part of the lakefront route may go offwire.

Rides will cost $1 per ride, and the streetcar will operate from 5 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to midnight on Saturday and 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, officials said at a Milwaukee Press Club luncheon. The wait time between cars will be around 10 to 15 minutes, officials said. There will be 21 stops along the line.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...383343691.html
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #48
splat8

Here is an article talking about how the city of Milwaukee has changed its order for streetcar vehicles in order to have them be able to cover part of the route without the need for the overhead wires associated with most streetcar systems.

Quote:
Hybrid streetcars to be used on new Milwaukee rail system

Officials revealed Thursday that Milwaukee's newest form of public transit will sport the latest in streetcar technology: a hybrid car that can operate partly without connection to overhead power lines.

The project's planners, part of an infrastructure firm called HNTB, announced that the city changed its order for streetcars and will instead buy the hybrid variety that can operate on battery power where there is no overhead power.

The new, hybrid vehicles will cost more than the original ones, but planners said that cost may be offset by the need for fewer power lines.

http://www.wisn.com/news/hybrid-stre...ystem/40089518
Old June 17th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #49
splat8

The article below is a subscriber only one from the Milwaukee Business Journal, so what I cited is all you are going to see without a subscription. I wanted to get this posted however because it gives an idea of the timeline city officials are pursuing in regards to additional streetcar line extensions.

Quote:
Next streetcar routes to Bronzeville, 3rd Ward, Walker's Point could be running by 2021

​Milwaukee officials are seeking money for a planned north-south Milwaukee streetcar line to extend the system into Bronzeville north of the downtown, and into the 3rd Ward and Walker’s Point, as early as 2021.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...-3rd-ward.html
Old June 17th, 2016, 04:01 AM   #50
splat8

In other Milwaukee area transit news the city of Wauwatosa Transportation Committee voted tonight to advance the East-West Corridor BRT project that will be built within their city limits. I am unable to find any articles on the approval other than the following press release from Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele:

If and when more information on this vote becomes available I will post the links to those articles.

Old June 17th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #51
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
Some more streetcar related new from today's edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
it's so short, why would anybody pay $1 to ride it? With 15 minute headways and with all those turns it will be slow, it'd probably be faster (and free) to just walk across downtown. This just seems like a poorly planned line to me.

From my experience in KC, anything less than a mile is faster to just walk rather than wait for the next train unless you time it perfectly so I usually opt to just walk across downtown KC, and that's with our streetcar being FREE. I live 2 streetcar stops from the grocery store I use, and I never take it because it's faster to walk.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 01:02 AM   #52
splat8

Bus rapid transit in Milwaukee is another step closer to becoming a reality:

Quote:
Bus rapid transit route earns Wauwatosa approval on divided vote

Milwaukee County gained its first needed local endorsement for the east-west bus rapid transit line (BRT) on Tuesday with a 10-5 vote from Wauwatosa’s Common Council.

The seven-mile bus line would run between the downtown Milwaukee lakefront and Swan Boulevard in Wauwatosa, with a key stop in the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center. Unlike existing bus routes, it would have fewer stops and dedicated driving lanes to make the trip in 35 minutes one-way, compared with 51 for current bus services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...proval-on.html

Old June 27th, 2016, 04:15 AM   #53
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Opening of new Milwaukee Amtrak station concourse

more photos here:

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/06/22...ncourse-opens/

splat8, geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #54
splat8

These renderings are over a year old, however I don't recall seeing anyone post them on this forum. They are from The Couture website and show what the transit concourse for the streetcar and now the proposed BRT line will look like on the lakefront.

Old July 1st, 2016, 04:38 AM   #55
splat8

A couple of Milwaukee County Transit System stories from the last couple of days:

Quote:
Milwaukee County to consider $7.8M request for bus rapid transit route

Milwaukee County’s proposed east-west bus rapid transit line would get almost $7.8 million in the 2017 capital budget under a request sent to the County Board.

That money represents the local share for building the estimated $45 million, 9-mile system between the downtown Milwaukee lakefront and Swan Boulevard in Wauwatosa. The new route would be faster and more frequent than existing bus service, running in dedicated lanes with the ability to affect traffic signals to avoid red lights.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...n-request.html

Quote:
Downtown Transit Center sale for Couture pushed back again; county sets plan to reroute buses

When demolition starts this fall on the Downtown Transit Center, Milwaukee County will reroute buses that stopped there to provide more service to the Milwaukee Intermodal Station and future arena.

Milwaukee County by the end of summer will sell the transit center to developer Barrett Visionary Development, which will demolish it to clear land for the 44-story, $122 million Couture apartment building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...re-pushed.html

Old July 7th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #56
splat8

The latest on the efforts to extend the Milwaukee Streetcar courtesy of today's Milwaukee Business Journal:

Quote:
Milwaukee approves funds for streetcar's Fourth Street extension to new Bucks arena

The plan to spend $20 million in city money to extend the downtown Milwaukee streetcar on Fourth Street gained Common Council approval Wednesday on an 11-4 vote.

The money will support a $40 million extension that would run between West St. Paul and West Highland avenues along North Fourth and Fifth streets. It would extend the system to Boston Store and The Shops of Grand Avenue, the downtown convention center and future site of the Milwaukee Bucks arena.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...rs-fourth.html

Old July 7th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #57
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

The intermodal station looks nice. Why can't other stations in other cities just have a metal building over the platforms, with some nice glass and architectural accents so it looks good.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #58
splat8

I thought I would post some additional images of what the rest of the Milwaukee Intermodal Station looks like from Flickr so that people can get an idea of what the whole structure looks like and not just the train shed.

Old July 14th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #59
splat8

Here's an update on the BRT project courtesy of today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Quote:
Bus rapid transit route clears two hurdles

Proposed bus rapid transit service between downtown Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Regional Medical Complex in Wauwatosa cleared two hurdles Wednesday with preliminary approvals of City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County panels.

The County Board's transportation committee and the Common Council's public works committee in separate meetings Wednesday recommended use of a preferred route along sections of Wisconsin Ave. and Bluemound Road for the new bus service.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/bus-rap...386680711.html

Old July 14th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #60
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26118

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
I thought I would post some additional images of what the rest of the Milwaukee Intermodal Station looks like from Flickr so that people can get an idea of what the whole structure looks like and not just the train shed.
Nice modern station

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus rapid transit, streetcar