daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Pjones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 11
Likes (Received): 1

Shipping Container Architecture

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if its the greenie in me but recently I've been getting sucked into this.

The design and style of some of these container homes is absolutely stunning !

I'm wondering if anyone from skyscrapercity has any advice or knows anyone who has done something like this before, because I'd love to build one of these homes!?

Let me know,

PJ

Last edited by Pjones; February 12th, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Pjones no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #2
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord
 
RegentHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,216
Likes (Received): 771

I'm sorry, but have we become so uncivilized to the point that we call this "architecture" and make permanent buildings out of them? It's basically a step up from living in a cardboard box. It makes this look good:

http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/a/i...ckmansionf.jpg

The civilized sustainable thing to do would be recycle the steel from the containers, and use it for frames in new buildings.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #3
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,495

It's architecture, indeed if someone has a vision and sees it though.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #4
MrVillageIdiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 93
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I'm sorry, but have we become so uncivilized to the point that we call this "architecture" and make permanent buildings out of them? It's basically a step up from living in a cardboard box. It makes this look good:

http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/a/i...ckmansionf.jpg

The civilized sustainable thing to do would be recycle the steel from the containers, and use it for frames in new buildings.
I disagree,
So you're saying that this.....

Looks better then this....? (Now hear me out these are extreme examples but going by your reasoning..)
__________________

Avangard-55 liked this post
MrVillageIdiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:12 AM   #5
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord
 
RegentHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,216
Likes (Received): 771

Yes actually. I don't know what the first one looks like inside, but they're both tornado magnets regardless.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Cloudship
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 588
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVillageIdiot View Post
I disagree,
So you're saying that this.....

Looks better then this....? (Now hear me out these are extreme examples but going by your reasoning..)
Are you interested in container architecture because of the green issues, or just because of the looks? You dont need a container to make a modern appearance. And in fact recycling the steel from a container would probably do better as your second example. Just because it is recycled into building materials does not mean it has to look traditional.

While I like the designs that many architects have done with containers, I don't know that I think it is a good idea. Containers are not really well designed for structures, especially once you have put in doors and windows. Size wise they are terribly awkward - too narrow and short. To get them up to habitable standards requires lots of work - most shipping containers have too many chemical issues to just use off the dock. In fact most containers used for buildings are actually built new, so aren't very green at all.

For that matter, the "surplus" of shipping containers no longer exists - steel costs are too high now. I think there are better ways of building green.
Cloudship está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #7
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord
 
RegentHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,216
Likes (Received): 771

I'm pretty much concerned about the aesthetics. You're spot-on about their impractically outside of mere concepts. It's ridiculous to build container architecture for actual use, especially when containers are built for such a purpose because it's "cool."
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #8
UnHavrais
Normandie
 
UnHavrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Le Havre
Posts: 20,920
Likes (Received): 9609

Student Residence Adocks, Le Havre, Normandy, France


Residência de Estudantes, Adock, Porto de Le Havre, França par Marco Milazzo & Associados, sur Flickr


Residência de Estudantes, Adock, Porto de Le Havre, França par Marco Milazzo & Associados, sur Flickr


Residência de Estudantes, Adock, Porto de Le Havre, França par Marco Milazzo & Associados, sur Flickr


google map : ICI
__________________
Proud to be European
Proud to be French
Proud to be Norman


Fluctuat nec mergitur

- C'est une très méchante manière de raisonner que de rejeter ce que l'on ne peut comprendre - Tintin .

LE HAVRE - News Urbaines & Architecturales

Le Havre, Normandy, France

Normandy, a region between two countries

LE HAVRE | Projects & Construction
UnHavrais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #9
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,495

Aside from those curtain things that one looks really good. I say there's nothing wrong with building with these provided you aren't architecturally blind and paint them pink with PVC windows or something like that.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #10
MrVillageIdiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 93
Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I'm pretty much concerned about the aesthetics. You're spot-on about their impractically outside of mere concepts. It's ridiculous to build container architecture for actual use, especially when containers are built for such a purpose because it's "cool."
Its no more impracticable or wasteful to build a container house then it is a mcmansion, and it is possible to reuse shipping containers.
Anyhow.....
Guest House
MrVillageIdiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #11
UnHavrais
Normandie
 
UnHavrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Le Havre
Posts: 20,920
Likes (Received): 9609

Concert Hall Le Tetris, Le Havre, Normandy, France


Le Tetris
by Portocéan, on Flickr



google map : ICI

Website : ICI
__________________
Proud to be European
Proud to be French
Proud to be Norman


Fluctuat nec mergitur

- C'est une très méchante manière de raisonner que de rejeter ce que l'on ne peut comprendre - Tintin .

LE HAVRE - News Urbaines & Architecturales

Le Havre, Normandy, France

Normandy, a region between two countries

LE HAVRE | Projects & Construction
UnHavrais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #12
PARLE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 345
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHavrais View Post
Concert Hall Le Tetris, Le Havre, Normandy, France


Le Tetris
by Portocéan, on Flickr



google map : ICI

Website : ICI
Nice one,...any more pictures ?
PARLE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:14 PM   #13
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips
 
World 2 World's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 5,625
Likes (Received): 4301

House in MALAYSIA

Consists of six, stacked containers – four of which are oriented north and south and two oriented east and west. The four containers are stacked to create a two-story volume with the doors oriented to the north to form partial enclosures for the balconies and windows. In between the container volumes, a double height atrium was constructed allowing for proper ventilation - hot air rises and the windows on opposing sides encourage cross ventilation.
source: http://www.anand.com.my/modular.htm







World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #14
Londonese
Londonese
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 306
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I'm pretty much concerned about the aesthetics. You're spot-on about their impractically outside of mere concepts. It's ridiculous to build container architecture for actual use, especially when containers are built for such a purpose because it's "cool."
I think they have aesthetic value. They look like something from a dystopian novel... not necessarily beautiful but interesting-looking.

And they're a complete novelty. There's no point getting annoyed by them as these are just experimental projects and are impractical, so would never be built on a mass scale. I appreciate anyone who wants to experiment architecturally, however. They certainly aren't boring.
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #15
fidalgo
the mitty
 
fidalgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Setuþalmela
Posts: 9,035
Likes (Received): 25479

offices in Copenhagen















__________________

ThatOneGuy, Avangard-55 liked this post
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #16
Cloudship
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 588
Likes (Received): 97

Those must be terrible for holding multiple conversations. How bad are they during thunderstorms?
Cloudship está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #17
fidalgo
the mitty
 
fidalgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Setuþalmela
Posts: 9,035
Likes (Received): 25479

boutique in La Plata, Argentina











__________________
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #18
lody2mk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Those must be terrible for holding multiple conversations. How bad are they during thunderstorms?
lody2mk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #19
hansservando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I'm pretty much concerned about the aesthetics. You're spot-on about their impractically outside of mere concepts. It's ridiculous to build container architecture for actual use, especially when containers are built for such a purpose because it's "cool."
containers that are used have already completed their useful life as transport boxes.
hansservando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #20
MrAronymous
Registered User
 
MrAronymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,845
Likes (Received): 5918

Bret Restaurant, Amsterdam

MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu