daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #21
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
For the roads themselves, Japan and their hotwheels style Shuto expressways in Tokyo.

For signage, every country has at least a few elements I dislike. Germany's layout is nice but I hate how their font uses different sizing depending on the length of the word (similar to the images of Austria above). UK's transport font is my favourite typeface, but the sign layout is lacking and inconsistent. I could go on for hours. Perhaps I should design my own "perfect" motorway signage system.
I'm not fan of any European signage except Norways, Denmark, somewhat Sweden's (Should not use upper-case only though) and may have missed one or two other countries. Green background looks better too.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #22
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Austrian signage is hardly known for being elegant and easy to navigate. Case in point:
You have take the case of Autobahn near and around Wien... Maybe the problem is that the Austrians sign's system isn't proper for complex situation, but for the generic cases I think there isn't so much problems.

I've travelled on Sued-Autobahn (A2) in Styria and Canrinthia, and on A12 and A13 in Tyrol and there I didn't have particular problems.

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #23
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Green background looks better too.
Pink or orange even better. No, wait ! Let's have brown as a background colour...

I don't like roadsigns in Canada. They don't use the Comic Sans font.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #24
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
I don't like roadsigns in Canada. They don't use the Comic Sans font.
This is not clear and nice enough for you? Canada uses same as the U.S.

• John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #25
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

aswnl is just joking.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Driving in the U.S is pretty unique IMHO. Cheap gas, car culture, massive highways, very wide lanes and highway network (even in urban areas!) and the incredible of traffic make it a really interesting country. Would love to drive there again.

I'm in Madrid right now and while the highways are acceptable overall (some have very narrow sides and short ramps), it does not feel the same.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #27
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Huge highways but no lane discipline at all. Gives British drivers a heart attack.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #28
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

There's "no lane discipline at all" and there's realizing that when there are four lanes in each direction, you don't actually need to all sit in the right lane like obedient little Germans. I think that the latter would be a more accurate description of the way Americans drive.

(Seriously, we've done this to death. Like the metric system. If Europeans find people who don't do things exactly the way they do so disturbing, they always have the option of staying home....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

JMBasquiat liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #29
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
Huge highways but no lane discipline at all. Gives British drivers a heart attack.
True, but in some places drivers are better than others.
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #30
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There's "no lane discipline at all" and there's realizing that when there are four lanes in each direction, you don't actually need to all sit in the right lane like obedient little Germans. I think that the latter would be a more accurate description of the way Americans drive.

(Seriously, we've done this to death. Like the metric system. If Europeans find people who don't do things exactly the way they do so disturbing, they always have the option of staying home....)
Yeah. Just pick the lane that is painted pink and follow the signs with the nicest placenames written on them in Comic Sans.

(These discussions on "the country with the best/nicest/etcetera" only lead to useless quarrels and flamewars)

Penn's Woods liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #31
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Endonyms or exonyms?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #32
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

I have been in a lot of European countries and Russia, and in the countries I have been this will be my rank:

1) Germany
2) Netherlands
3) Italy
4) Switzerland
5) UK
6) Spain
7) Belgium
8) Portugal
10) Russia
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote