daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #1
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Any bad roads in Europe?

Are there any highways / busy main roads in Europe (mainly Western & Northern) that have cracks / potholes? It seems like European roads are 100% smooth
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

I hear a white van coming....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

devo, Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #3
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Are there any highways / busy main roads in Europe (mainly Western & Northern) that have cracks / potholes? It seems like European roads are 100% smooth

Somewhere around here in Poland there is a busy main road E65 Stettin-Swinoujscie which is bumpy and with cracks at one place, but maybe it is fixed by now.
I wouldnt go to eastern Europe/Russia to avoid cracks/potholes.
NordikNerd no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #4
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

I'm not sure we need these topics...
g.spinoza no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #5
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Serbia and FYROM are full of bad roads... especial on some stretches of their motorways.
grykaerugoves no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by grykaerugoves View Post
Serbia and FYROM are full of bad roads...
Unlike Kosovo, which has only smooth roads?
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #7
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

The motorways in Belgium are in a rather bad state. But there are bad motorways in Germany and France as well.
stickedy no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #8
Yaku

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
The motorways in Belgium are in a rather bad state. But there are bad motorways in Germany and France as well.
To illustrate your point. Belgium vs. Netherlands.

[IMG]http://i58.************/2vx10k5.jpg[/IMG]

VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
Yaku no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #9
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

^ Cool....
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #10
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

The UK can vary widely between local authorities when it comes to the surfacing of local roads. I live in an area where the roads are being kept in permanent state of managed decline, depsite the politicking over this issue.

Nationally the Highways Agency's Trunk Roads and motorways are getting worse.

I'd say a big reason behind the deterioration of the UK's roads is down to the poor choice of surface material.

Until the mid-late 1990's hot rolled asphalt was the surface of choice for main roads with a good 20 year lifespan. The trouble is that the Highways Agency have ruled this out in favour of smooth low noise surfacing - Stone Mastic Asphalt I think it's called. A lot of local authorities also chose this material.

Sounds great doesn't it?

Well, not really as those lovely smooth surfaces are prone to cracking and potholing due to freeze-thaw cycles. Its a more brittle surface - less binder, more finer aggregate. Hence in worse case circumstances potholes can appear in months instead of tens of years.

On my commute home I have a mental list of potholes to avoid on the M1 and A14. Coming south from my Mothers in the North East I bracemyself for the section of A1(M) between the A64 and the M1. It was opened in 1999 and despite constant patching potholes appear and reappear.

The Highways Agency is struggling to keep on top of the quality of its surfacing and bearing in mind that it gets the lions share of funding for a small proportion of the highway network, local authorities get peanuts Hence we now have with local roads deteriorating faster then they ever were. The rate of failure is speeding up the proportion of the road network that desperately needs investment.

Much of the time the maintenance just involves patching sometimes it may be more meaningful but that also depends on the political leanings of local government.

Some authorities have seen sense and have gone back to using hot rolled asphalt. With others you may be lucky to see a bloke in a yellow flat-bed truck chuck a spoonful of asphalt into a gaping hole to 'mend' a pothole.

On the trunk road network. Autolink, who manages the A19 on behalf of the Highways Agency have defied their spec and have gone back to using Hot Rolled Asphalt. I think they resurfaced the stretch through Teesside about 3 times before they realised that stone mastic asphalt just does not work as a roadsurface in the UK. The sooner the Highways Agency and other authorities realise this we may have smoother roads without no additional cost.

Last edited by sirfreelancealot; February 16th, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #11
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Unlike Kosovo, which has only smooth roads?
I have traveled through out all ex-Jugo republics and at one point I thought Montenegrin roads were the worst with appalling safety issues especially in the mountains but most of the motorway from Beograd to Nishë is just full of potholes almost throughout. Kosovo roads are in pretty good shape actually, the only road that is in bad condition is the Prishtina-Ferizaj road but that is soon being replaced by the R6 motorway. I would say Croatia has the best roads compered to the rest of former Yugo states.
grykaerugoves no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #12
lazaroskyr

Likes (Received): 150

There are some local roads in the UK that are in really bad condition.
lazaroskyr no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #13
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.48663...jWBFVXt4mA!2e0

Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora  
Old February 17th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #14
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2097

No mate, there are great roads in Bosnia.
Shenkey no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #15
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I'm not sure we need these topics...
You should know that -Valentino- was brought to us on Friday the 13th.
Verso no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #16
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

You guys don't like me to post here?
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #17
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well personally, I say welcome.

You've stumbled on a couple of things that many of us are sick of (the metric system) or just tired of, but I don't think ganging up on someone new over that sort of thing is appropriate. Now, I'm just one person, but I'd hope the moderators would agree with me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #18
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

You should agree that the metric system is superior over the archaic imperial system currently used only in 3 countries while 95% of the world uses the metric system, which is much easier based on multiple of 10.

I do like gallons though as gas measurement, but liter is still better. Fahrenheit is horrible temperature measurement - Germany doesn't even use it!
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

sigh....

All of which is debatable (Fahrenheit permits somewhat more precise weather reports, for example), but I've never seen uniformity for its own sake, let alone imposed by outsiders, as a virtue.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #20
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Right, 32 and 212 degrees for describing phase changes in the most abundant and important liquid on this planet makes total sense. I guess these two scales splits what's important for humans and what's important for science.

And I also guess this thread ended on that note.
devo no está en línea  

Closed Thread