daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Speed Limits in the United States and Canada

So I've decided to create a thread dedicated to speed limits (both past and present) in the United States and Canada.

The current top speed in the US is on a toll road in Texas:

A far cry from early 1974 when the US adopted a federally mandated speed limit of 55 mph in response to the oil embargo:

Road_UK liked this post
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #2
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17506

85 km/h

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #3
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Map of maximum speed limit in the USA

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #4
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

MAXIMUM SPEED LIMIT IN CANADA (km/h):

Alberta 110
British Columbia 120
Manitoba 110
New Brunswick 110
Newfoundland and Labrador 100
Northwest Territories 100
Nova Scotia 110
Nunavut N/A
Ontario 100
Prince Edward Island 90
Saskatchewan 110
Québec 100
Yukon 100
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

They don't have speed limits in Nunavut? Granted, there aren't (m)any paved roads outside towns.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #6
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Are those limits respected? 65 mph is an awfully slow speed to drive America's long distances...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #7
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

On 95 in Pennsylvania, which for some reason has a 55 limit its entire way through the state, I generally do about 70 and keep an eye out for cops. My father used to recommend "keeping up with traffic" - if everyone's 15 miles over the limit, they're not going to stop and ticket everyone.... (Speed cameras are still rare here, and may be nonexistent on freeways.)

Also, maybe I'm not getting into rural Pennsylvania enough lately, but I was surprised to see Pennsylvania labeled on that map as 70. Either that's a recent change or it's a mistake; I thought the nearest 70-mile zones to me were in Virginia and West Virginia.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It is a recent change and only in a few places, places I haven't been since:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201407230149

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #9
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The speed limit on sections of the Pennsylvania turnpike, I-80 and I-380 was raised to 70 mph in July 2014.
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #10
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are those limits respected? 65 mph is an awfully slow speed to drive America's long distances...
They rarely are; it's common to drive 10 - 20 mph over speed limit. Obviously when people see a police on the roads they slow down

65 mph = 105 km/h

Ontario's and Quebec's maximum speed limit is 100 km/h!!!
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #11
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Map of maximum speed limit in the USA

What's going on in Southeast Texas? Looks as if Harris County (Houston) has a higher limit than most of the surrounding ones....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #12
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

PEI is 90, but it doesn't have a freeway on it, so that makes sense.

Ontario has a 100km/h limit but it is in effect 120. There aren't any speed cameras in the province so the speed limits only matter for cops who rarely ticket for less than 20km/h over, unless you are doing 70km/h through a town that is zoned for 50km/h or something. (you should always obey the speed limit when there are pedestrians around anyway if you ask me)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #13
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
PEI is 90, but it doesn't have a freeway on it, so that makes sense.

Ontario has a 100km/h limit but it is in effect 120. There aren't any speed cameras in the province so the speed limits only matter for cops who rarely ticket for less than 20km/h over, unless you are doing 70km/h through a town that is zoned for 50km/h or something. (you should always obey the speed limit when there are pedestrians around anyway if you ask me)
Ontario has among the best highways in the world; 100 km/h is a shame (even if people speed). That speed limit should be in urban areas, but not when you leave the urban areas.

110 km/h makes more sense.
Old February 18th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #14
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ontario and Québec should allow at least 120 km/h on freeways outside cities. Even in the prairies you can go faster on non-freeways.
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #15
SpiderBHZ
FORA TEMER!!

Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
85 km/h

Where?? In some points on BR060 the speed limit is 110km.
SpiderBHZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #16
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Ontario and Québec should allow at least 120 km/h on freeways outside cities. Even in the prairies you can go faster on non-freeways.
There is a lot of money to be made on the Hwy 401 fishing hole... at 120 km/h you'll fall asleep. So you try and drive 140 like much other traffic, but watch for cops. In Eastern Ontario they had Mercedes-Benz patrol cars for a while, and Volvo S70 T5's, and now, unmarked black Toyota Venzas. There are few people there, probably police outnumber residents, but many Toronto and Montreal people get a haircut on their wallet...

Anyway it is important to note the "Maximum 100" limits in Ontario and Quebec date back to a similar thing as the 55 mph in the US. Specifically the federal Trudeau government circa 1974 pushed for a maximum speed limit of 60 mph. Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and other places typically had 70 mph speed limits on freeways and 60 mph speeds on 2-lane roads. Ontario put freeways at 60 and 2-lanes at 50, Quebec put freeways at 60 and 2-lanes at 55. After metrication it became 100/80 in ON and 100/90 in PQ.

I believe BC had the same thing but eventually relented and allowed 110 again, and now 120. Alberta I think consistently ignored the deal (annoying Trudeau was a bonus) and kept 70/60 until today's 110/100 AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Ontario has among the best highways in the world; 100 km/h is a shame (even if people speed). That speed limit should be in urban areas, but not when you leave the urban areas.

110 km/h makes more sense.
Not even, look at Ontario's urban freeways, they do not require reduced speeds at all. 140 is a decent limit on pretty much all the GTA-region freeways aside from junk like the Gardiner... if anything traffic is moving much faster on uncongested roads in the GTA than elsewhere in Ontario (probably because the drivers are familiar with the roads and/or where the cops hide!)

Look at the A4 through Katowice, Poland, it has a collector-express setup like the 401... IIRC 2+3+3+2... The express lanes are limit 140 and the collectors limit 120. It works well - and this road is like half the width or standard of newer parts of 401 across the GTA... where people are driving 140 right now all the time so clearly safety is not an issue.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 19th, 2015 at 03:54 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #17
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10406

I-5 in Seattle is nominally at 60 mph (100 km/h), but it has variable speed limits northbound if traffic is bad, which is most of the time.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/au...r-highways.jpg

Good luck even getting to 35 in that situation.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #18
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Lane-discipline fetishists will note that treating every lane but the far right as a passing lane is actually illegal in that situation....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #19
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10406

I've seen trucks attempt to go into the left HOV lane from time to time. During the afternoon it gets better once you pass downtown and can get into the reversible express lanes. You could possibly get to 60 there.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #20
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Is the 50 a HOV lane? That wasn't clear. I thought they were encouraging passing in the left lane by permitting a higher speed.

It reminded me of something someone once posted - from Buenos Aires, I think - of a freeway with a good number of lanes where each lane had a different speed limit, each one 10 km/h higher than the next one to the right.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL