daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #61
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc75 View Post
This is a common site on I-87 in upstate New York going to the Canadian border:

I've driven that route a few times, most recently in September 2013, and I don't know that I've ever seen that, actually. (And New York systematically posts bilingual signage - "Exit/Sortie 43," that sort of thing - in the last 40 or 50 miles.) Picture looks old...are you sure they still do that?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #62
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've driven that route a few times, most recently in September 2013, and I don't know that I've ever seen that, actually. (And New York systematically posts bilingual signage - "Exit/Sortie 43," that sort of thing - in the last 40 or 50 miles.) Picture looks old...are you sure they still do that?
I lived in Saratoga Springs from 2007-2008 and they did have some posted every so often. But I think you're right. Google street view didn't show any and it's most recent date is Oct. 2014.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #63
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Old Texas state line speed limit sign:
What is (was) the speed limit for school buses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Picture looks old...are you sure they still do that?
Do cars sold in Canada have an odometer scale in both km/h and mph?
Do cars sold in the US have that?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #64
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I've never bought a car in Canada. :-)
Haven't bought one in the U.S. lately either.

Odometer or speedometer?

I guess my most recent experience with newish cars goes back to 2008-09, when I was a member of a car-sharing service. I remember some models have a digital display where you can switch systems, including the odometer, with a button on the dashboard. Otherwise, I think both systems are normal on speedometers (miles in a larger font than kilometers); odometers are in miles.

That's in the U.S., obviously. Metric police have probably banned miles in Canada.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #65
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Yeah in Canada is normally opposite of US, big km/h on speedo, little MPH, km odo

That said many cars show only km, they are almost always European models (e.g. BMW) who are just selling the European standard instrument cluster.

That NYS sign at 105 is very old, I remember it,, but haven't seen one for at least 10-15 years.

Going into NY at Lacolle/Champlain today in the same place as that picture (it's I-87 at US-11) they have a new FHWA metric-standard speed limit sign. It shows "SPEED LIMIT (100) km/h" with the number in a circle similar to European (really, it is like Mexican) standard. The MUTCD requires km/h limits to be in multiples of 10, so you can drive faster in miles than km (as 65 mph is about 104***** km/h)

But crossing into NY from Quebec at say, Cannon Corners, it shows a "Maximum 90 km/h" sign that looks stolen from Ontario.
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #66
Ingsoc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yeah in Canada is normally opposite of US, big km/h on speedo, little MPH, km odo

That said many cars show only km, they are almost always European models (e.g. BMW) who are just selling the European standard instrument cluster.

That NYS sign at 105 is very old, I remember it,, but haven't seen one for at least 10-15 years.

Going into NY at Lacolle/Champlain today in the same place as that picture (it's I-87 at US-11) they have a new FHWA metric-standard speed limit sign. It shows "SPEED LIMIT (100) km/h" with the number in a circle similar to European (really, it is like Mexican) standard. The MUTCD requires km/h limits to be in multiples of 10, so you can drive faster in miles than km (as 65 mph is about 104***** km/h)

But crossing into NY from Quebec at say, Cannon Corners, it shows a "Maximum 90 km/h" sign that looks stolen from Ontario.
Correct!

The dual signs were around the Saratoga Springs area of I-87 when I lived there 2007-2008.
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #67
Ingsoc75

OPEC Embargo Pre-NMSL signs in Oregon:

image hosted on flickr
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #68
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for going 120km/hr on Ontario freeways.
I have. I usually set my cruise control for 119 just to be sure I'm ok.

Design speed for most of Ontario's 400-Series = 130km/h. That's why you feel so slow doing 100 on them!

-----

In addition to the 100km/h limit on Ontario and Quebec's highways, there are also speed limiters on trucks. They can't go faster than 105, which can really slow down the flow of traffic, especially if you have one trying to pass another.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #69
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Looking through the old speed limit signs, I can see why they aren't there anymore. They were far too many words to be read in 1-2 seconds driving down the road. They're much simpler now.
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #70
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Correct!

The dual signs were around the Saratoga Springs area of I-87 when I lived there 2007-2008.
totally random question but you didn't drive a black 911 at the time did you?
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #71
Ingsoc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
totally random question but you didn't drive a black 911 at the time did you?
Shhhh! It was a secret.
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #72
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

What were the highest numerically specified speed limits ever signposted (or coded in law) in the US and Canada?

85 mph and 110 km/h?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #73
Ingsoc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
What were the highest numerically specified speed limits ever signposted (or coded in law) in the US and Canada?

85 mph and 110 km/h?
85 mph is the highest numerical speed limit in the US to be posted (TX130).

120 kph is the highest numerical speed limit in Canada to be posted (BC 19).

These are the highest numerical speed limits both countries have ever had.

Last edited by Ingsoc75; February 28th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:17 PM   #74
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Do cars sold in Canada have an odometer scale in both km/h and mph?
Do cars sold in the US have that?
Yes, Canadian cars shows mph and American cars include km/h. However, some cars may display the units on smaller electronic numbers, such as many Mercedes Benz.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:28 AM   #75
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10406

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I have a completely different experience when I've driven through CT. I always saw troopers along the interstate except in the evening.
Guess it depends when you go. When I was still living there, I reguarly drove above 70 on I-84 inbetween Waterbury and Hartford where the speed limit was an ultra low 55 mph. Never got caught and barely ever saw any. But once you get to Mass, they're everywhere!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #76
Ingsoc75

Minnesota raises speed limit to 60 on miles of two-lane road

Quote:
Minnesota motorists will soon be able to press a little harder on the gas on hundreds of miles of two-lane highways — legally.

Speed limits will rise from 55 to 60 mph as soon as the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) can get new signs up along 340 miles of state and federal highways, including long segments of Hwys. 55, 23 and 212.

With the change, Minnesota joins a national push to boost speed limits welcomed by many drivers but watched nervously by public safety officials.

“It’s happening all around the country,” said Russ Rader of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. “There is no question that higher speeds get people to their destinations faster, but it comes at a cost, and that cost is safety, with more crashes and more severe crashes.”
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #77
Ingsoc75

Besides having the highest posted numerical speed limit of 85 mph, Texas also is the only state that allows 75 mph on two lane roads.

Corvinus, FM 2258, Blackraven liked this post
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #78
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

That is twice the speed limit of rural two-lane roads in Japan

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #79
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Minnesota

Speed limit to increase on some Minnesota highways

About 340 miles of highways in northern and western Minnesota will get higher speed limits in the next few weeks, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

The two-lane highways, currently posted at 55 miles per hour, will increase to 60. The increases are the result of a 2014 legislative mandate for MnDOT to study the posted speed limits on all two-lane highways having a speed limit of 55 mph over a five-year period.

In some cases, the study results in the speed limit are staying the same. About 570 miles were evaluated in 2014 and 340 miles were increased.

Minnesota has about 7,000 miles of two-lane, two-way roads that will be studied in the next four years. This year, about 1,500 miles of highways will be studied.
The speed limit is effective when new speed limit signs are posted.
Full press release: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/newsrels/15/02/27speed.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #80
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Besides having the highest posted numerical speed limit of 85 mph, Texas also is the only state that allows 75 mph on two lane roads.
Definitely be careful on those two-lane roads at night. I was on a 60 mph two lane road at 6am (it was still dark) and hit a deer around a curve. A few months later I was in west Texas on another straight two lane road going about 55 mph because I was afraid of deer. Even with my brights on I couldn't see too far ahead (at 4am, I saw one car in 2 hours). I was watching the orange reflectors in the middle of the road and they seemed to blink. Sure enough, another deer. But that time I was going slow enough and he ran off.