daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #81
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Definitely be careful on those two-lane roads at night. I was on a 60 mph two lane road at 6am (it was still dark) and hit a deer around a curve. A few months later I was in west Texas on another straight two lane road going about 55 mph because I was afraid of deer. Even with my brights on I couldn't see too far ahead (at 4am, I saw one car in 2 hours). I was watching the orange reflectors in the middle of the road and they seemed to blink. Sure enough, another deer. But that time I was going slow enough and he ran off.
Good point. Some two lane roads at 75 mph are also posted in east Texas, which is densely wooded.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #82
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Nevertheless it's a decent move to allow 75 mph on two-lane roads ... which is not a contradiction to the driver's obligation to adapt his speed to current traffic, weather and other conditions.
(I don't know any European country that would sign/allow 120 km/h on simple two-lane roads, although some such examples from Germany were mentioned).

Did (parts of) Canada ever have something like the "reasonable and prudent" non-numerical speed limit?
(I do not mean the complete absence of speed limits at the beginning of motorization where speeding was not yet an issue)

Blackraven liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #83
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

In Quebec the speed limit before 1956 was "reasonable and prudent" outside of towns, and 30 MPH inside the towns.

In 1956 they replaced the "reasonable and prudent" with a blanket 60 MPH limit. The first rural motorway in Quebec opened in 1958/1959 and the first urban motorway in 1959.

Quebec was the last province to put a general limit like that... but am not sure if they had R&P elsewhere earlier. Probably out West for sure.
Old March 13th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #84
Ingsoc75

Arkansas to let big rigs rev up to 70 mph

Beginning next week, state highway personnel will take down signs displaying one speed for big trucks and another speed for other vehicles on rural-area interstates.

The Arkansas Highway Commission on Wednesday adopted an order eliminating the different speeds, which have been in place for almost 20 years.

Since 1996, trucks traveling in Arkansas have been limited to 65 mph on those sections while other vehicles could go 70 mph. Research has shown that the different speeds don't promote efficient traffic flow, and none of the states surrounding Arkansas use the different speeds, according to the order.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/m...s-arkansas-nwa
Old March 13th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #85
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Mindboggling trucks speeds by European standards, where the speed limit is usually 80 or 90 km/h (50 - 55 mph) for semi trucks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #86
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mindboggling trucks speeds by European standards, where the speed limit is usually 80 or 90 km/h (50 - 55 mph) for semi trucks.
California's maximum speed limit for 3+ axle trucks is 55 MPH. This creates a 10 MPH differential when the speed limit is 65 and 15 MPH differential when the speed limit is 70.

This might also explain why there's no push to increase the speed limit in Sacramento because any increase in the speed limit would also increase the differential between cars and trucks and might be seen a safety issue. Raising the truck speed limit could happen but it would face some very strong opposition.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #87
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Speed limits in a few US states (like Texas) are not absolute, but prima facie limits.

This does not mean much difference in practice: drivers are ticketed in the same manner as if limits were absolute. But when limits are prima facie, the driver is offered the possibility to provide proof that his driven speed was reasonable and safe under the conditions given. That is, to prove his speed was just as safe as driving at the numerical speed limit (against the legal assumption that driving above the posted limit is not safe).

Are there any documented cases of such proofs/proceedings that were successful?
(the cases of even attempting it will be rare as the full burden of proof is on the driver, he would have provide evidence on every relevant factor (road conditions, traffic, weather, his vehicle's condition at the time, ....) which is difficult to impossible).
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #88
Kanadzie

it is essentially impossible
The exception would be if you can prove the speed was actually required or safer than the number, like if you were passing and there was an oncoming car... but for that one you'd need to prove you had to pass also...
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #89
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it is essentially impossible
The exception would be if you can prove the speed was actually required or safer than the number, like if you were passing and there was an oncoming car... but for that one you'd need to prove you had to pass also...
Using that example would get you in more hot water because you could be deemed to be attempting a pass in an unsafe manner.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #90
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

As it has been said, the highest speed limit in the US is 85 mph (137 km/h) on TX 130 toll road. When VA 28 gets redesignated I-366, it will also have a speed limit of 85.

... Well, just joking. This is a recurring AARoads meme.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #91
Kanadzie

LOL I cannot get that meme at all

especially VA which is usually a speed-limit arsepick state (though they did bump some rural Interstates to 70 mph, but they'll tag you with reckless driving at 80 mph )
Old March 17th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #92
Ingsoc75

Don't forget to the ban on radar detectors!

Kanadzie liked this post
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #93
Ingsoc75

80 mph speed limit, gas tax hike signed into law

The law also increases the maximum speed on South Dakota's interstate's to 80 mph. South Dakota joins four other states with 80 mph speed limits, which also exist in small portions of Texas and much of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...-law/24924491/

Kanadzie, FM 2258 liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:02 AM   #94
Ingsoc75

New South Dakota speed limit goes into effect today

SIOUX FALLS - Starting today, the speed limit on South Dakota interstates will officially change from 75 to 80 miles per hour.

Department of Transportation crews will be on the roadways all day changing out signs. They will begin on the South Dakota border and work their way inward throughout the day.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:16 AM   #95
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

I would think most people already drive 80 or above. Now they will drive closer to 90.

Also, who's bright idea was it to make a minimum speed limit at half the speed.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:20 AM   #96
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

In U.S. limited access highways. if there is no congestion and cops are not around, people generally drive at about 75-80 mph regardless of the posted speed limit because that's the safest speed to drive in them and the speed that the highways are designed for.

People who drive 55-60 mph create a dangerous condition by forcing other drivers to brake and change lanes to get around them, even worse when they are in the left lane.

Since most highways in the United States are woefully underposted and the 85-percentile traffic engineering method of determining the speed limit is rarely used, state and local governments rake in enormous amounts of money in speeding-ticket revenue because 85% of the drivers end up exceeding the unrealistic and unreasonable limits.

Corvinus, darko06 liked this post
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:20 AM   #97
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I would think most people already drive 80 or above. Now they will drive closer to 90.
That's an old myth that has been discredited. People do not drive 10 miles over whatever is the posted speed limit. 85% of people drive at the speed dictated by the design of the road and conditions regardless of what the posted limit is. If people feel safe and the road calls for 60 mph, drivers will go at that speed whether it's posted at 40 or at 80 mph.

I frequently travel on a street that has one section under state jurisdiction posted at 40 mph, yet everyone drives it at 30 mph or below due to its curvy nature. The next section is wider and straight but, being under municipal jurisdiction, the speed limit is posted at 30 moh, yet people drive there at 45 mph which is the proper speed for the road conditions.

If the speed limit was set scientifically by engineers at the 85th-percentile of free flowing traffic, only 15% of drivers would go too fast or two slow, which means that only 15% of the people would produce revenue for the government. However, when the speed limit is underposted by politicians, 85% of drivers will violate it and enrich the government coffers through traffic ticket revenue.

ChrisZwolle, Kanadzie, Blackraven liked this post
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:38 AM   #98
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
That's an old myth that has been discredited. People do not drive 10 miles over whatever is the posted speed limit. 85% of people drive at the speed dictated by the design of the road and conditions regardless of what the posted limit is. If people feel safe and the road calls for 60 mph, drivers will go at that speed whether it's posted at 40 or at 80 mph.
People don't drive 10 mph over because they'll get caught by police. Usually 7-8 mph over is OK unless you are dealing with a desperate cop or a speed trap.

There's a really high chance that many drivers on that particular highway in South Dakota were driving 80 or above already.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:28 AM   #99
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Interesting... looks like every continental US state now has limits above 100km/h / 60 MPH

My Simcity Stuff

gogo3o liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM   #100
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Ontario and Québec must get rid their 1950s speed limits. They could easily allow 120 km/h (75 mph) on rural freeways - autoroutes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote