daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

NEW YORK | 303 East 44th Street | 183m | 600ft | 41 fl | Pro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Triangle Assets planning 41-story resi building in Midtown East Permit applications call for 44 apartments at 303 East 44th St.
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/02/17/triangle-assets-planning-41-story-resi-building-in-midtown-east/#sthash.shlUUCCN.dpuf

Quote:
Joseph Stavrach’s Triangle Assets is planning a 41-story residential building at 303 East 44th Street, according to permit applications filed with the Department of Buildings today.
Quote:

Plans call for a 96,774-square-foot building with 44 apartments. The building is slated to include a sauna, spa, pool, exercise room, lounge and business center.

The fourth through 16th floors will contain two apartments each, and the 17th through 39th floors will hold either full-floor apartments or private terraces. A duplex is planned for the 40th and 41st floors.

ODA is the architect of record.

A three-story commercial building currently sits on the site. The Manhattan-based Triangle owns a 28-story office tower at 369 Lexington Avenue and a 150,000-square-foot office building at 2 West 46th Street, according to its website.

DOB NB Application:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=3&passjobnumber=121192663&passdocnumber=01

FYI,

@ triangle assets
http://triangleasset.com/303-305-e-44/

It says a hotel is planned, but obviously with the latest news they changed directions and has decided to go residential. Rendering on site, but I expect the design to change drastically than shown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New renders released:

http://ap-architecturememories.tumblr.com/page/2

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by desertpunk; November 24th, 2015 at 04:15 AM. Reason: add render
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #2
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ower_watch.php

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM   #3
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7287

Can they at least save the historic structures/fašades? There's so few left in Midtown and they keep getting torn down for new development.

geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:56 AM   #4
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Honestly, for NYC, even in midtown, these aren't that special or historic. If new york is to solve its housing crisis we will need to accept that some of these will have to go. Plus, these two buildings are completely surrounded by bigger, newer buildings, so it's not like by tearing them down it'll ruin the existing urban fabric. Historic preservation is an issue in this city, but you gotta choose your battles.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, (: liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Vertical_Gotham

Revealed!

EXCLUSIVE: New United Nations skyscraper will have floating full-floor gardens
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2195782

Quote:
That deluxe apartment in the sky is nothing without Manhattan’s latest uber-amenity: A floating garden.

A new 41-story skyscraper at 303 E. 44th St., will feature six 16-foot-high gaps in the fašade — each filled with a full-floor, canopied green space that will wrap around the core of the tower.

There will also be a private full-floor roof garden for residents of the penthouse.

“To have an apartment at the top of the world is one thing, but to have a private garden at the top of the world is something we haven’t seen,” said Eran Chen of the architectural firm ODA, which is designing the slimline tower near the United Nations.

It’s hardly unusual to have outdoor space at luxury residential towers, but this 600-foot East Side building is taking the concept of urban outdoor living to a whole new — and pricey — level by dedicating full floors to gardens.

The concept represents a challenge for the engineers and architects, who plan to construct the building with limited structural support around the parimeters of the gardens, to avoid blocking the views. Instead, the structure will be held up almost entirely by the core.

“I asked myself, ‘Can you live in a slender tower up 600 feet above the city and at the same time have access to a garden as big as one attached to a ground-floor home?’ ” Chen said. “You would think it would be counterintuitive, but we are making it happen.”

Architect Eran Chen of ODA is responsible for the design

Joseph Stavrach’s Triangle Assets plans to start construction in September, pending approvals from the city, and to complete the building by late 2017, said Stavrach’s son, Benjamin Stavrach.

The superskinny tower will have 2,600-square-foot floor plates, one-third the size of those of famed pencil towers such as 432 Park Ave. The lower floors will be divided into one- and two-bedroom apartments, with full-floor units beginning on the 22nd floor. Prices have not been released, but they will be high.

“These will be the most unique outdoor spaces in New York City,” Chen said.

Town New Development Marketing will head sales.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:14 PM   #6
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Interesting design.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:13 PM   #7
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Can they at least save the historic structures/fašades? There's so few left in Midtown and they keep getting torn down for new development.
There are TONS in Midtown. Also, below, 42nd St there's a sea of them. The area where this tower will rise is a dump.

LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #8
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23013

I'm pleasantly surprised. This is something which we would be super excited for a decade ago. We've been spoiled.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #9
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
LOL even I could care less about those buildings. The northwest corner of the block has to go soon, too.

As for the design, it's not really my cup of tea. It's too blocky.

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #10
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

I don't hate it but it's too awkward. The different sized blocks, the odd coloring, the trees-in-a-skyscraper trend which is getting a little too common...at least they tried.
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #11
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I don't hate it but it's too awkward. The different sized blocks, the odd coloring, the trees-in-a-skyscraper trend which is getting a little too common...at least they tried.
I think I get what they are trying to do, with gradually diminishing boxes as you rise from the base towards the sky. It's sort of the way each tier of Jin Mao in Shanghai is slightly shorter than the last.

The problem here is, the "crown" box doesn't fit the pattern (as crowns are wont to do) and the pattern doesn't repeat enough to get the effect at a glance, without having to stop and think about it.
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #12
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26031

It all depends on materials, really, this could go either way!

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #13
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5853

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
How is it getting too common when there are almost none. I'd rather have a whole city of these than all the ugly darkened "lifeless"glass rectangular monoliths that currently infest NY. More trees and more gardens "more life" are a good thing.

AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #14
Vertical_Gotham

It's Ok! I agree though we could use more projects with vertical gardens here in the city. Right now we have ZERO.

I would rather much prefer the proposed 12 East 37th Street plus it is in a far far superior location.

Old April 25th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #15
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
How is it getting too common when there are almost none. I'd rather have a whole city of these than all the ugly darkened "lifeless"glass rectangular monoliths that currently infest NY. More trees and more gardens "more life" are a good thing.
All true. But this type of design has popped up a lot recently, at least in renders, and it feels like a trend rather than an actual attempt at sustainable design and QOL improvements. But otherwise yeah, Manhattan could always use more trees.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #16
Vertical_Gotham

This Pencil-Thin Tower Sets a New Bar for Skinny High-Rises
http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/0...urce=SFTwitter

Quote:
Both 432 Park Avenue and 111 W. 57th Street in New York City hit the reset button on the notion of what a residential building could look like. These new and rising towers are pinnacles of urban infill development: super-tall, super-skinny projects whose slim footprints were never considered for high-rises before the current building boom.

When it is completed, 111 W. 57th Street, designed by SHoP Architects, will be just slightly more slender than Rafael Vi˝oly's 432 Park. At its widest, the SHoP-designed tower will be only 58 feet wide. Given that it will also be one of the tallest buildings in New York City, 111 W. 57th Street can lay claim to the title of skinniest skyscraper in the world.

But here comes the asterisk. There's another project coming to Manhattan that's even thinner: 303–305 E. 44th Street, designed by Eran Chen of ODA Architecture.

At 47 feet wide, this one's the narrowest of the bunch. Developed by Triangle Assets, the tower will rise about 600 feet high, creating 115,000 square feet of residential space.

The building appears to be an early indication of how the super-tall typology can be adapted for a neighborhood with a slightly less heady real-estate market. The design for 305 E. 44th is predicated on a stack of volumes; nested between them are the project's signature amenities, private gardens.

This ODA building can't compete with 111 W. 57th Street on its width-to-height ratio: At 1,428 feet tall, the SHoP building has an extreme slenderness ratio of about 1:24. Which is just slightly taller and thinner than 432 Park.

But New York can expect to see more projects that look like 305 E. 44th Street. The city is filled with narrow lots that are prime for infill development but don't quite command the luxury residential prices of Midtown near Central Park. It may nevertheless prove profitable—and possible—to build even narrower and taller on these lots to achiever greater density. That's at least a possibility.

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Torch

Likes (Received): 1016

New Renderings
Curbed

Click to enlarge:

ODA Architecture
Completion 2017
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #18
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26031

Can't tell if I like it or not, but it's definitely interesting.

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #19
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

I want to like it but the proportions are awkward and it has no sense of rhythm. It looks nicer in the night rendering though.

lsg97, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #20
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

I think I prefer it to the earlier render (the rusty look ultimately did not do it for me.) The curvy pillars are a fascinating choice, very retro although I'm not really sure what the architectural lineage of that would be... googie maybe?

Having organic shapes in these "sky gardens" makes a sort of sense though, doesn't it? And using white to contrast the darker glass sections will really emphasize the "floating boxes" illusion. In certain conditions, I imagine the garden floors will virtually disappear into the sky.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
303 e.44th st., midtown east, nyc