daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #41
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

So Pershing Square actually was a square once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
Speaking of criminal 80s reclads, I really hope that the grand Hyatt next to Grand Central gets restored to its original glory from the Commodore days or (far more likely) redeveloped. It's the building on the right. The Roosevelt is also easy to make out.

(from ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com)
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #42
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Omg, what did Millstein do to that fabulous hotel????????????? It's junk today... the recladding was horrendous. It' the worst version of "Don't Let This Happen to You" a former city jewel can ever be fated to, other than razing. The sooner it goes the better!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #43
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

I don't get the intense hatred for the Grand Hyatt on 42nd street. Personally I'm indifferent towards it, neither ugly nor beautiful and the only reason I'd be sad to see it go is because I honestly don't want a supertall built directly next to the Chrysler Building. Chrysler deserves a bit of airspace to itself and the ability to still make its incredible impact on the skyline. Whenever I come out of Grand Central after arriving in the city, I always like to get a nice quick glimpse of the Chrysler Building as I head off and if they raze the Hyatt and building a 1000+ tower in its, it'll be blocking the Chrysler Building. I wanna see new towers built in the area but I don't want the Chrysler Building to completely engulfed by new supertalls.

I love tall skyscrapers, honestly I do and this current construction boom in the city is incredible but please let the Chrysler Building have some breathing space. There will be plenty of places to build new skyscrapers once the Midtown East Rezoning goes into effect.

Besides, is there even any proof or plans of razing the Hyatt? Or is it still merely speculation?

robertitoam liked this post
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #44
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Garodnick Secures City Council Approval of First Phase of East Midtown Rezoning
http://rew-online.com/2015/05/27/gar...town-rezoning/

Quote:
By a unanimous vote, the New York City Council voted on Wednesday in favor of the proposal to rezone a 5-block stretch of Vanderbilt Avenue which sits west of Grand Central Terminal.The Council’s vote was the final step in this rezoning, and the first step in the rezoning of the Greater East Midtown area.
Quote:
“It is time to unlock the economic development potential in East Midtown,” said Council Member Daniel R. Garodnick. “The area has gotten stuck in outdated rules, and has lost some of its competitiveness over time. That is going to change today, starting with the Vanderbilt Corridor — where we will open the door to additional density in exchange for much needed improvements to our transit system. We have struck a much better deal for the public, and we will start seeing real benefits to Grand Central in the near term, even before a single new building is occupied.”
Quote:
In what is expected to be a first, critical step in rezoning the East Midtown business district, the City Council approved zoning changes to spur commercial development along Vanderbilt Avenue, between East 42nd and East 47th Streets. These changes will allow for improved circulation in and around Grand Central Terminal...
Quote:
and increased opportunity for area landmarks to transfer unused development rights.
The Vanderbilt Corridor, which will be anchored by SL Green’s proposed One Vanderbilt development, is highly accessible to public transportation, with underground connections linking all five blocks to the Grand Central Terminal complex. In addition, the MTA’s East Side Access project, which will bring Long Island Rail Road customers to East Midtown, is under construction below the corridor, with the station terminating directly below One Vanderbilt. This zoning change will be a major step forward in financing essential infrastructure upgrades for the MTA’s regional and local transportation network.
I wonder now, if lets say, St. Patricks Cathedral would now be able to transfer their 1m plus sq ft of air rights to any of the Vanderbilt corridor projects or would that be part of the greater midtown rezoning?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #45
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I highly doubt that 383 Madison will ever go.

Johan Wihlborg
I think it has a nice old school look to it.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #46
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28200

I agree. For me it doesn't have to go, unless for something special.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #47
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

I wish 383 was a supertall, I really like it's simple yet imposing design.
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #48
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I can't believe there's even discussion about tearing down 383 Madison.
There's no reason for buildings like those to be demolished.

DubaiM liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #49
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I can't believe there's even discussion about tearing down 383 Madison. There's no reason for buildings like those to be demolished.
Seriously, it's not only beautiful but stacked with desirable office space. Best to transfer the upzoned air rights to its neighbor!
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #50
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

There is zero chance 383 gets demod. It's not even 20 years old, and demoing a building that big would a gargantuan undertaking financially.

lsg97 liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #51
nyc15

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Seriously, it's not only beautiful but stacked with desirable office space. Best to transfer the upzoned air rights to its neighbor!
in case that 383 madison avenue transfer the upzoned air rights to its neighbor!
absolutely we can prepar ourself to receive a megatall structure
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:38 PM   #52
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1554

They are talking about replacing that building? I love that building. That's insane!
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM   #53
Rida12

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
design is beautiful only
Rida12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #54
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

this and 30 Hudson are the 2 supertalls that get me the most excited.
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #55
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Howard Milstein wants to reimagine the office building

I can't believe I'm quoting the post, but..

Quote:
Howard Milstein is no longer thinking about tearing down 335 Madison Ave. but will pour $100 million into a renovation by SHoP Architects [Ed.: ].
Renovations include enlarging and creating a new entrance lobby and modernizing the lower fašade.
Full article.

Seems like this will not be redeveloped, nor is it getting a full reclad. Time to close the thread?
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 03:36 AM   #56
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

With the redevelopment of this site being cancelled, is there any chance of anything in this 5 block upzone stretch being redeveloped (other than One Vanderbilt)? 383 Madison is going nowhere, and the Roosevelt Hotel might be landmarked (as it should be).
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:32 PM   #57
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
With the redevelopment of this site being cancelled, is there any chance of anything in this 5 block upzone stretch being redeveloped (other than One Vanderbilt)? 383 Madison is going nowhere, and the Roosevelt Hotel might be landmarked (as it should be).
Yup. The MTA building at 347 Madison will get redeveloped, as the MTA has been looking to sell it for a while, and with the rezoning the value of that building will increase substantially. The Yale Club is not landmarked, but it's been talked about for several years, and it's impossible to imagine an organization as influential as the YC would letting their building get the axe. The other building on that block, 52 Vanderbilt, is really uninteresting and I would imagine gets the axe when 347 gets demod.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/p...-corridor.page
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:51 PM   #58
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

NEW YORK | 335 Madison Ave | 300m | ? fl | Pro

So theoretically, whoever redevelops the MTA building (and presumably 52 Vandy) could do so with the additional air rights from 335, 383, the Roosevelt and the Yale Club (and depending on some legal machinations, possibly Grand Central)? On a 3/4 block site? Sounds like the formula for a mega tall to me...
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:25 PM   #59
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Sounds like the formula for a mega tall to me...
If only we could see a megatall in New York. I believe this city deserves something truly remarkable. But such building should not be as thin as the oligarchical residential towers looking toward Central Park. It should be a bold building, something meant to inspire people.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:31 PM   #60
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

NYC does have a number of supertalls (and skyscrapers) that are truly remarkable. Imagine the pressure on any potential architect having to come up with a megatall design that measures up to those standards. You'd need some of the cream of the crop of starchitecture there.

Or just go old WTC-style (RIP) and simply overwhelm everyone with monolithic massiveness. It can work, too.

nylkoorB liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
335 madison, gct, nyc