daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #161
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

Photos of the MPK workshops in Tramwajowa street: https://www.facebook.com/pg/1000komi...29542887402847

(Zakład Techniki - Technical Department)

MiaM, dimlys1994 liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #162
FrankYCH

Likes (Received): 3

One thing I noticed on looking at recent Youtube videos on Łódź trams is that trams on routes 10 and 11 were showing route numbers 10B and 11B. What does this mean? Does it mean there have been route changes?
FrankYCH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #163
Kpc21

No, they changed the numbering system.

The previous system of numbering was that for example 10 was the full route of the line and 10A was its short version. Like 10 Retkinia-Augustów-Olechów and 10A Retkinia-Augustów (the line 10 had then the route Retkinia-Olechów only, but it's just an example how it worked with other lines). The problem was that when there was more versions of a line, it was not so consistent (like the line 60 - 60 was the longest, 60B shorter, 60A the shortest). And some people were complaining about that very often the version which was most frequent had a letter and the rare one (for example extended at one end to a factory, which needs to have good bus service only at the time of the shifts) had no letter.

So, it was decided that after the reform (the big reform described in one of the previous posts, the one from 2nd March), all the versions of a line which comes in many versions will have letters. In addition, some lines got grouped to work as a single line on important, central, fragments of the route, so that the letters will denote that they go in different directions at the and (for example, the lines 53/53A/53B, 67 and 94 got concatenated in such a way, and now there is a single line 53A/53B/53C/53D/53E).

With 10 and 11, it is so that the old 10 was Retkinia-Olechów and it was every 6 minutes. Now, the tram goes to Olechów every 12 minutes and its shorter version to Augustów - also every 12 minutes, so there frequency of the line 10 between Retkinia and Augustów is now still 6 minutes, but between Augustów and Olechów it's only 12 minutes now.

Concerning 11, it was (is I am not mistaken) every 12 minutes Helenówek-pl. Niepodległości-Chocianowice before, now it's every 6 minutes between Helenówek and pl. Niepodległości and only every 12 minutes (so like the whole route before) between pl. Niepodległości and Chocianowice.

The increased frequency of the line 11 between Helenówek and pl. Niepodległości replaced the deleted line 16.

Thus, we had 10 and 11 before, we have 10A/10B and 11A/11B now. On the other hand, for example, 85 or 99 had their "A" versions before, they don't have them now. Or the former 51/51A/51B line got split into three separate lines: 51, 61 and 67.

To be clear about the situation with 10 and 11. Most of the route of the line 10 is from the Retkinia residential area through the city centre to the Augustów loop in the Widzew Wschód residential area and this is the current 10A. 10B is the version extended from Widzew Wschód (Augustów) to another residential area, behind it going from the city center, called Olechów.

Similarly with 11. 11A goes from the Helenówek loop, serves the Radogoszcz and Julianów residential areas and goes to the city center. 11A has a loop at plac Niepodległości (Independence Square, don't mistake with plac Wolności - Liberty Square) at the other end of the city center. 11B goes behind the city center, serving the Ruda residential area, going to the Chocianowice loop.

dimlys1994, subbotazh, FrankYCH liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; May 13th, 2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:14 AM   #164
FrankYCH

Likes (Received): 3

Kpc21, many thanks for your detailed answer.

I wonder if people visiting Łódź might still be as confused as they were before!
FrankYCH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #165
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

It's interesting to compare this with Leipzig (in Germany) where all lines have different numbers but the grouping of lines in the central area is done by using the same line colour for every line within one group.

P.S. sorry for going slighty off topic, but if anybody decides to have a look at the Leipzig map you should also note that they use different width for lines with different frequency. Thicker lines means that the average waiting time is shorter than for thinner lines.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #166
Kpc21

Łódź also uses colors after the reform. And... this is mainly thanks to the local SSC users!

See the schematic: http://test.uml.lodz.pl/files/do_pob..._TRAM-V53B.png

By the way, different line frequencies are indicated in case of the buses by slightly different shades of gray for the circle around the number. See the legend to the map.

In the last week it was decided to disable some traffic lights in the neighborhood of the new Łódź Fabryczna station - because of which the trams caught delays and it had to be decided to reroute some of them to go forward Narutowicza street instead of stopping right in front of the station. I hope, it will make all the lines return there.

Meanwhile... the topic of the NF6D trams from Bochum continued. The first tram, brought from Bochum some time ago (I reported about it here), undergoes homologation tests.

I am just preparing a transcript of this video translated to English, so that you can understand...

dimlys1994, MiaM, FrankYCH liked this post
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #167
Kpc21

A transcript of the video in English (unfortunately the option of adding community subtitles is not available, so it must be like this):

Quote:
It's dark, almost night and we are now - maybe you can't see it - in the MPK Technical Department, in the main hall, about which I will be telling you soon. One of the next episodes will be about the work of those workshops. Now, if you remember well, in one of the last Extra episodes, if not in the last one, I showed you and talked about the newly bought by us NF6D tram from Bochum.

Some time has passed. The tram was - also by the employees of this Department - being prepared to the duty, and tonight it will exit the gates of Tramwajowa for the first time. And I am here just to show it to you. So, if you want a short ride, be welcome!

- Public Transport -
- Trams -
- Buses -
- Tickets -
- Passengers -
- MPK Backstage -
- Problems - Advices - Tips -

- BETWEEN THE STOPS -
Vlog about the public transport in Łódź

[ First one of the modernized M8CN seen, next the NF6D with the 1751 number. ]

As you can see, behind me - the main hero of the today's evening, or rather night. The NF6D tram. You have seen it in short from outside. Now, we will have a look inside and we will see what has changed, what our employees have installed there. And, first of all, let's prepare to the ride.

[ The tram interior. ]

The tram is now being prepared to the departure. As you can see behind me, at the front (we won't interrupt), some guys are working. They will, for example, make it be allowed to take passengers on the board. We will have a look at their work, but without interrupting them. Let's have a closer look at the vehicle before we start our ride in the city.

[ A look from outside. ]

The works, which you will be able to observe, are carried out by the Institute of Land and Housing Management employees. It's an institution which will issue a Polish homologation for the vehicle - because those trams haven't ridden in our country yet and some tests are needed. They will cover matters concerning the height of the lights, the transparency of the windows. The location of the handrails inside will be checked, the insulation will be tested, the energy consumption will be verified, as well as recuperation, that means the energy return to the power grid, and the braking distance. You will be able to participate in all of that.

[ Zoom at a weird device installed on the front of the tram. ]

Now, you can see a device, which is for the measurement of the velocity and the distance. It will be used today.

[ The tram exists the workshops. ]

[ The tram rides Narutowicza street, turns right into Kopcińskiego street. Opens the doors at a stop before the Piłsudskiego street. ]

[ A view from inside. Then again from outside. The tram rides in the Piłsudskiego street. ]

This is the first technical ride of the NF6D type tram in Łódź. We are on the East-West Route and we are approaching the Widzew district. Behind me, if you have a closer look, you will notice guys who make different tests concerining braking, starting, who check how the tram behaves and how it deals with the Łódź tracks.

We chose the East-West Route for the first ride, because these are the best tracks in the city now. So, to avoid problems, we test the vehicle here. We check, how it deals with them.

From the passenger point of view - because it's my role here to show it to you - I will tell, it deals with it quite well. It's quite silent, it's very well organized inside, it's spacious. First of all, it has many seats, as I've already told you in an earlier episode. For now, I must tell you that it makes a very good impression. So, I'm not extending my talking any more, Let's just go on riding.

Listen. We fasten the seatbelts. Ahead of us, the braking tests.

[ The driver shouts "I brake!" and brakes suddenly - a few times. At the end, a worker pulls the emergency brake and the tram brakes. ]

[ Some shots of the tram, speeding and braking, from outside. ]

[ Entering the tram. ]

As you could see, this will make those trams different from the others. When we enter the vehicle, we don't have any buttons. We have a photo cell, which detects us and automatically opens the door.

[ The tram opening and closing the door and people entering and leaving it. ]

We are back in Tramwajowa street, where we finished the today's tests. I hope, me waking up at night and those night episodes has shown you how the MPK works, how they are preparing to introduce a new tram to the traffic, as well as it gave just a closer look at the new tram. Which, as we hope, will soon be ready for you to use and to be tested by you too.

Thank you for watching, thank you that you were with me this time. And, as usual, I invite you to subscribe to my channel; to leave comments, which are inspiration for me, but also allow me to answer to your questions. I invite you to like and to share the vlog, so that as many people as possible can watch it.

Thanks again for tonight! Have a good night, although you will probably watch it during a day. Good night and see you in the next episodes! Bye!

dimlys1994, FrankYCH liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; May 20th, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:56 PM   #168
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
And one more video, by a local radio station:

2014-05-31 Gelsenkirchen by Klaus Schuchlinski, auf Flickr

Kpc21, dimlys1994, MiaM, Nowax, FrankYCH liked this post
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #169
Kpc21

It seems, it will start carrying passengers on Saturday:

On the line 10.

dimlys1994, MiaM, Nowax liked this post
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:04 PM   #170
Kpc21

MGT6D premiere.

Source:
Code:
http://gtlodz eu/img-premiera_mgt6d,38647.html

dimlys1994, MiaM, Nowax liked this post
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #171
Kpc21

Source:
Code:
http://gtlodz eu/img-duewag_nf6d_1751,38648.html

MiaM, dimlys1994, Nowax, FrankYCH liked this post
Old May 28th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #172
Kpc21

Probably not everyone knows that this was not the first line ride of this type of tram in Łódź, not even its first ride on the line 10.

Same tram, borrowed from Halle (Saale), was already tested in Łódź in 1996. Nobody expected in those times that this type of trams will finally appear in Łódź... bought second-hand.

Photos from the same place as the last photo above:

As for now, the opinions about this tram are really good. It's silent and runs smoothly - it's even better than the modern Cityrunner and Pesa trams.

MiaM, dimlys1994, Nowax, FrankYCH liked this post
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #173
Kpc21

Old June 25th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #174
Kpc21

http://www.transport-publiczny.pl/wi...bki-55604.html

Quote:
Łódź: The MPK satisfied with the NF6D tests, but plans modifications

The probability of getting the next 34 second-hands trams for Łódź from the German Bochum is increasing. After three-month tests a positive note was given to the first unit by both the MPK staff, as well as most passengers. Some of the passengers' remarks make, however, one of the basic advantages of a low-floor tram questionable – the access for the disabled people.

The tests – initially on the line 10, from Thursday on 11 – are not finished yet. "On the current stage we can say that most likely we will recommend to the City Office the purchase of those trams. The opinions of the passengers, drivers as well as the technical staff incline us to that", says the MPK spokesman Sebastian Grochala. They are not new units, but – according to the representative of the company – their standard is not much different. "First of all, they solve our biggest problem: lack of low-floor trams – accessible for the disabled passengers."

New doors, new windows

Before introducing them on a larger scale, they will have to be adapted to the Łódź conditions. "We will install different windows with a bigger inclining or sliding part", Grochala gives an example. Because of the electric machinery on the roof, there is no room for installing air conditioning, as there were also such proposals from the passengers.

It is planned to install direct doors to the driver's compartment. "We are also planning modernisations of the propelling system, the elements of which are old, although in the tested vehicle, for over a month, only one little electric problem has ocurred. There was also no problem at all with the bogeys", the spokesman adds, referring to the problems of the first owner from a few years ago.

Adding ramps is a must

Not all passengers' opinions about the new purchase of the MPK are positive. "The tram is not accessible for the disabled. Because of the lack of retractable floor, it's not possible to enter the vehicle with an electric wheelchair", the employee of the Professional Activity Department of the Caritas in Łódź, Ryszard Kabalski, points out. On many stops, the level of the floor is higher than of the platfom. "Much better in those terms are the trams in Łódź produced by Pesa, which have no only folding ramps, opened by the driver, but also more room inside", Kabalski adds.

"The installation of ramps for the disabled will be necessary", the spokesman of the MPK agrees. It is not known if it will happen immediately after the purchase. The changes in the NF6D trams will be divided into two stages. "Initially, after getting the vehicles delivered, we will not do any big modernisation, we will only adjust the trams to the Łódź conditions by adding the doors and maybe the ramps, if it will be possible without major changes in the vehicle structure", Grochala ensures. The second step will be a modernisation of a much bigger range, including the propelling system exchange and remodelling of the interior. "On the stage of planning the modernisation, we will want to invite the disabled people to giving remarks. Their opinion will be most important. The Technical Department will check the possibilities of satisfying each of the postulates", the spokesman ensures. One of the considered options is a resignation from the folding seats in the area for the passengers on wheelchairs.

A tidbit for the MPK

In the meanwhile, the first NF6D with the fleet number 1751 is still present on the streets of Łódź. The further tests will be carried out maybe also on the line 14, but it demands small improvements of the infrastructure in the Śmigłego-Rydza Avenue. After the renovations of Gdańska and Kopernika Streets, planned for this holidays, NF6D may also appear on the line 15.

34 trams are still waiting in Bochum, ready to buy them. "The price is very attractive", Grochala claims. If their purchase will take place, they may come in handy a little bit later, when the works related to the cross-city railway tunnel will begin and the routes in Kościuszki Avenue – Zachodnia Street and Narutowicza – Zielona streets will be broken. The vehicles, because of their bidirectionality, will be able to operate on shuttle replacement lines (Pendelverkehr in German, for lack of good English equivalent).
A few days ago, there was also an article in a local tabloid, with complaints about this tram: that it's stuffy inside, that it's not good for the Łódź tracks, which are still in bad technical condition in many places (and there is very few lines with tracks in good condition only) and that it has few doors.

But it's a tabloid, they always look for sensations, and even they admitted that it gathers good opinions from the passengers.

Adding a door in the driver's compartment is actually needed because there is still many manually operated track switches in Łódź - which means, the driver would have to walk to the first door of the tram, then back to its front on the outside to switch the tracks, and then back to his compartment through the part for passengers, which would cause delays and, which is probably more important, would be difficult to accept for the trade unions.

I don't really understand the idea of changing the propelling system. The one in those trams gathers good opinions, the ride is much more smooth than, for example, in the Konstal trams with an exchanged propelling system, or in the modernized M8Cs, where the original drive was also exchanged to a new Polish one.

Also the rearranging of the interior will probably mean replacing the current numerous comfortable seats with a small number of plastic chairs...

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #175
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Kpc21 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #176
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
A few days ago, there was also an article in a local tabloid, with complaints about this tram: that it's stuffy inside, that it's not good for the Łódź tracks, which are still in bad technical condition in many places (and there is very few lines with tracks in good condition only) and that it has few doors.

But it's a tabloid, they always look for sensations, and even they admitted that it gathers good opinions from the passengers.
You should be careful about this. In Gothenburg the tracks has been worn out far faster since the newest all low floor trams begun service about 10 years ago. There are no exact figures for the track wear, but the wheels on the new all low floor trams, and for the 1990's low floor section of the 1980's trams needs maintenance five times as often as the wheels on the high floor sections of the 1980's trams and on the all high floor 1960's-1970's trams.

Quote:
I don't really understand the idea of changing the propelling system. The one in those trams gathers good opinions, the ride is much more smooth than, for example, in the Konstal trams with an exchanged propelling system, or in the modernized M8Cs, where the original drive was also exchanged to a new Polish one.
Maybe it has to do with the price for and access to spare parts?

AFAIK this was one of the reasons Gothenburg opted for changing the electric parts of the traction in their 1980's trams. (Interestingly the old trams still in service that were made in the 60's and early 70's mostly still have their original electric system, but that's probably partially due to that atleast the 1960's trams have always been destined for "five more years in service", with this "five" always being counted from the current date, thus moving the end forward for each day )
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #177
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
You should be careful about this. In Gothenburg the tracks has been worn out far faster since the newest all low floor trams begun service about 10 years ago. There are no exact figures for the track wear, but the wheels on the new all low floor trams, and for the 1990's low floor section of the 1980's trams needs maintenance five times as often as the wheels on the high floor sections of the 1980's trams and on the all high floor 1960's-1970's trams.
It also depends on the type of the bogeys. I have no idea about the English terminology, but there are two kinds. There are ones which can rotate with respect to the tram body - they are better for the tracks, but they occupy more room inside the tram. And there are fixed ones, which cannot rotate. They are worse, damage the tracks more, but they occupy less room inside.

It seems they are actually called fixed bogeys and rotating bogeys in English: http://tdu.to/154883.msg (although it's a translation from Czech, so I am not sure about it)

For example, from the Polish-produced trams, Pesa Swing has fixed bogeys and Pesa Twist rotating ones.

The thing we care more of in Łódź is the potential damage of the tram because of bad tracks, not the potential damage of the tracks because of bad trams. Although both issues should be taken into account.

Quote:
Maybe it has to do with the price for and access to spare parts?
Definitely. They don't want to buy expensive parts from Siemens, so they want to install much worse, but cheaper in maintenance, Polish drive from Enika or Woltan (both are companies from Łódź, by the way).

Quote:
that's probably partially due to that atleast the 1960's trams have always been destined for "five more years in service", with this "five" always being counted from the current date, thus moving the end forward for each day
It's maybe a little bit off the topic, but it's why we still have a passenger information system based on punch cards, the only one in Poland, at the Łódź Kaliska station. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHpVf_C4wU

But the spare parts for the old Konstal 805Na/105Na trams, which are still in majority in Poland, are actually cheapest, so it's not weird that the MPK doesn't really want to get rid of them.

And the construction is much simpler. You cannot repair a modern tram using just a hammer and a screwdriver.

Last edited by Kpc21; June 26th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #178
Kpc21

In-street tracks renovation in Gdańska street.

They were in what we call the Hungarian technology. The tracks were not very old, but a few times every summer there were rail erections. A typical way of repairing such an erection is cutting out a small piece of the rail, so as a result, those tracks had quite many breaks in rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartout View Post
Gdańska

1.Przy Struga kier. południe

2.Przy Struga kier. północ

3.W stronę północną

5.Przy 6 Sierpnia

6.Przy Zielonej

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #179
Kpc21

Bus and tram traffic supervision.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #180
lalumking

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
In-street tracks renovation in Gdańska street.

They were in what we call the Hungarian technology. The tracks were not very old, but a few times every summer there were rail erections. A typical way of repairing such an erection is cutting out a small piece of the rail, so as a result, those tracks had quite many breaks in rails.
The technology was developed in the 70s by BKV (Budapest Public Transport Company). The main advantage was the simple way to build and rebuild the tracks. But given the moral towards regular maintenance in Hungary (and probably in Poland as well, since our mentality is somewhat similar in many ways) those tracks have become terrible in the recent years. That's why new trakcs are built using different technology in Budapest and other Hungarian cities, though some smaller reconstructions still use that one. BTW, in Hungary we call itt "panel" or "betonpanel".
lalumking no está en línea   Reply With Quote