daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #41
SkokieSwift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 118
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
not sure why so many people are anti sixties - seventies era high rises,
that is actually a pretty cool white building, and im not sure if they really need to change it, but it will be okay, there is alot of monotonous shit going up right now that aint that great as well, the columbian itself doesnt look so hot,

we have to have buildings from each era of architecture to be a truly interesting city, it seems that if alot of people had there way we would be destroying a whole era of perfectly good buildings,
While I kinda sorta have an appreciation for 60s/70s highrises, this puppy doesn't belong on Michigan Avenue. Too bad they can't pull a Doral and cover this up, too...
SkokieSwift no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #42
mohammed wong
Registered User
 
mohammed wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chevanston, IL
Posts: 1,853
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ I agree, although some of the auto-oriented stuff built in the 60's and 70's just doesn't belong in a city like Chicago.

Some of the drive-in motels, for example, in River North, are just so cheap that they have no business still existing on such prime real estate

though i enjoyed stopping at hojo and getting breakfast once, nice and run down as hell, is that still there on lasalle i believe?

they are living on borrowed time, but i would like to see one or two survive,
there is a hilarious one on ohio i believe, what is it the ohio house or motel or something?
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #43
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

These things have no place, whatsoever, in downtown Chicago and they need to go sooner rather than later.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #44
NearNorthGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 502
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
though i enjoyed stopping at hojo and getting breakfast once, nice and run down as hell, is that still there on lasalle i believe?

they are living on borrowed time, but i would like to see one or two survive,
there is a hilarious one on ohio i believe, what is it the ohio house or motel or something?
The auto-oriented kitsch of the west side of LaSalle Street in River North had a reason for its appearance. That reason lay in the timing of the availability of land close to the Loop. The west side of LaSalle was hit hard by the demolitions necessitated by the widening of LaSalle Street in the 1930's.

Some buildngs had their facades shaved off and then reconstructed after the street was widened. The Sportmart building (for years operating as "Morrie Mages")had this done to its LaSalle Street facade.

On other sites along the west side of LaSalle, new low-rise buildings went up, since this area was kind of run-down, relatively unwanted, and no large buildings were needed.

Non-descript buildings (e.g., the LaSalle-Ohio Garage, an auto repair buisiness )went up on some of the demolition sites cleared for the street-widening. By the 1950's, the Ohio House Hotel and Howard Johnsons were built, both character-filled auto-havens of their time. They are likely in their last years. The "borrowed time" comment above seems perfect.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #45
mohammed wong
Registered User
 
mohammed wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chevanston, IL
Posts: 1,853
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkokieSwift
While I kinda sorta have an appreciation for 60s/70s highrises, this puppy doesn't belong on Michigan Avenue. Too bad they can't pull a Doral and cover this up, too...
doral?
but every building cant be a landmark,
personally though i think this is a good example for its period,
its like the jeffersons, movin on up!
lots of nondescript buildings like this in newyork that are far far worse,

michigan avenue i dont think is that special that it cant have a nice variety of buildings from ALL eras, too much hate on any era is wrong,

and the bias now is against brutalism, sixties and seventies stuff,
look at how they are defacing the lollipop building in newyork, people will never learn it seems.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #46
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
The auto-oriented kitsch of the west side of LaSalle Street in River North had a reason for its appearance. That reason lay in the timing of the availability of land close to the Loop. The west side of LaSalle was hit hard by the demolitions necessitated by the widening of LaSalle Street in the 1930's.

Some buildngs had their facades shaved off and then reconstructed after the street was widened. The Sportmart building (for years operating as "Morrie Mages")had this done to its LaSalle Street facade.

On other sites along the west side of LaSalle, new low-rise buildings went up, since this area was kind of run-down, relatively unwanted, and no large buildings were needed.

Non-descript buildings (e.g., the LaSalle-Ohio Garage, an auto repair buisiness )went up on some of the demolition sites cleared for the street-widening. By the 1950's, the Ohio House Hotel and Howard Johnsons were built, both character-filled auto-havens of their time. They are likely in their last years. The "borrowed time" comment above seems perfect.
I swear... you come up with some of the best shit on this board! Teach me more wise one!!!

Quote:
michigan avenue i dont think is that special
This comment has me dumbfounded. You're right - I mean it's just the most historically significant collection of skyscrapers on the face of the planet.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #47
SkokieSwift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 118
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
doral?
but every building cant be a landmark,
personally though i think this is a good example for its period,
its like the jeffersons, movin on up!
lots of nondescript buildings like this in newyork that are far far worse,

michigan avenue i dont think is that special that it cant have a nice variety of buildings from ALL eras, too much hate on any era is wrong,

and the bias now is against brutalism, sixties and seventies stuff,
look at how they are defacing the lollipop building in newyork, people will never learn it seems.
Hmm...Michigan Avenue along Grant Park IS a landmark district, lined with suuperb examples of late 19th/early 20th century architecture. While not bad on its own, in the context of the beauties around it, this Lowenberg doesn't stack up. Plus, it kills the streetwall with its "T" shape.

And by Doral I'm referring to the proposed expansion of the Doral building @ the NE corner of Michigan & Randolph with a glass facade that will cover the horrible south side and give a proper "face" to Millenium Park.
SkokieSwift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #48
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkokieSwift
Hmm...Michigan Avenue along Grant Park IS a landmark district, lined with suuperb examples of late 19th/early 20th century architecture. While not bad on its own, in the context of the beauties around it, this Lowenberg doesn't stack up. Plus, it kills the streetwall with its "T" shape.

And by Doral I'm referring to the proposed expansion of the Doral building @ the NE corner of Michigan & Randolph with a glass facade that will cover the horrible south side and give a proper "face" to Millenium Park.
^ I'm afraid our friend Wong is not aware of the new development proposed for the NE corner of Michigan and Randolph which will cover the Doral. He is too busy taking care of sick & dying patients to be in touch with every new development
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #49
mohammed wong
Registered User
 
mohammed wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chevanston, IL
Posts: 1,853
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond


This comment has me dumbfounded. You're right - I mean it's just the most historically significant collection of skyscrapers on the face of the planet.

yeah it could dumfound if taken out of context,

lots of nice shit has been destroyed on michigan avenue,
somehow the new bannana republic building is so awesome?
charmets was in a nice building on michigan, my point is much senseless destruction happened on michigan to the extent that the michigan avenue of my childhood is a distant memory and in many places michigan avenue is unrecognizable, so i believe that many new developments on michigan are worse than this nice horrible t shaped building,
it is not a landmark district otherwise why were all the nice old buildings and mansions on michigan destroyed, some of the new development is nice and ofcourse there are many great landmarks left like the union carbide building, wrigley, and tribune and many others, john hancock, et. al.
but there will never be a commission that sits down and says well,
this buidling isnt a landmark so we destroy it and put a landmark up,
if every building were a landmark the city would look like a monster that could only be realized in sim city

but my point is, is that chicago is an amalgamation of good and bad decisions some better and some worse, and this white building by far is not even close to be being a super bad decision, there are many worse blah buildings on michigan, the neiman marcus monstrosity needs to be destroyed, the virgin record store buiding in super retarded, basically any building that was built on michigan to be exclusively retail is a stupid stupid waste

this white building is housing alot of people and is antisprawl and it reminds us of days gone by, call me crazy but i like it, many more sixties highrises that are worse, especially on lsd and sheridan
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #50
mohammed wong
Registered User
 
mohammed wong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chevanston, IL
Posts: 1,853
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ I'm afraid our friend Wong is not aware of the new development proposed for the NE corner of Michigan and Randolph which will cover the Doral. He is too busy taking care of sick & dying patients to be in touch with every new development

i will look into it though, sorry, i really need to keep myself more abreast of whats going on in chicago,

which btw will get alot easier once i move back down to shytown,
my job in wisconsin finishes up the end of sept, so i will be out of milwaukee, doing locum tenens in wausau most likely for three months, then ill finally be back in chicago!!!!!!
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #51
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
i will look into it though, sorry, i really need to keep myself more abreast of whats going on in chicago,

which btw will get alot easier once i move back down to shytown,
my job in wisconsin finishes up the end of sept, so i will be out of milwaukee, doing locum tenens in wausau most likely for three months, then ill finally be back in chicago!!!!!!
^ Ahhh, Locums! I quit my fellowship, so I may also be doing Locums for a while. It's hard to find Locum jobs in big cities, though. Anyway, this thread has drifted too far off topic...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #52
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

The problem, Mohammed, is that you're talking about two very different parts of Michigan Avenue. If you want to talk about how much Banana Republic sucks, then keep the arguments north of the River. But, to say that "so much has been destroyed" on the historic Michigan Avenue Streetwall (south of the river) is simply fallacious. This stretch of Michigan that we all hold so dear is, for the most part, completely intact. It's sort of irrelevant since 1130 S. Michigan (the building in question) is basically outside of the streetwall anyway because it's so far south.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #53
forumly_chgoman
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 10

^Yes absolutely, these are completely distinct areas of Mich Ave.
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM   #54
Chicagotom
Registered User
 
Chicagotom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 420
Likes (Received): 0

Columbian Update

Looking over the Field Museum

West from the Field Museum


From the deck of Tower 4


Close up between the gap at Sky55


West from Tower 3
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #55
chicagogeorge
Registered User
 
chicagogeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South suburban Chicago
Posts: 5,284
Likes (Received): 893

Nice pics. The South Loop is still building. I just hope that interest rates don't keep climbing because from what I hear, sales of new construction and recently completed building have slowed considerably. Michigan Ave Towers II is has had their sales office open for almost a year and a half and have just recently cracked 50%.
__________________

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #56
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
Michigan Ave Towers II is has had their sales office open for almost a year and a half and have just recently cracked 50%.
From what I remember, Tower II is over 80% sold.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #57
chicagogeorge
Registered User
 
chicagogeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South suburban Chicago
Posts: 5,284
Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
From what I remember, Tower II is over 80% sold.

My info was based on a friend who lives in Tower I. Maybe you are right.
__________________

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #58
danthediscoman
Registered User
 
danthediscoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 384
Likes (Received): 1

^Yeah. I saw in the Trib ad last week it said it was 80% (supposedly).
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #59
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

Have I mentioned how much I hate this tower?
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #60
Chicagotom
Registered User
 
Chicagotom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 420
Likes (Received): 0

10/20/06

I think that this is either toped out or its very close to being TO. They have finished pouring the 2 elevator cores. It looks like all that's left is the mansard roof.





Rendering
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu