daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM   #41
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Heck yeah! Great idea to slope the balconies - enhances sight lines from inside the units & gives the building a distinctive, marketable shape.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:17 AM   #42
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

It's cool with me to keep it here. I think they Rock! Can't wait to see the existing building come down.

I dont think it fits in the South Loop Developement thread. We need a Near South Development Thread. Roosevelt and Cermak, The Lake and Clark

Here are the official boarders of Central Station. http://www.centralstationsouthloop.com/dev_location.htm

It zigs and zags south of 16th street. Praire Point Tower is just to the north, 1600 Museum is just across the street and Museum Park Place is further South at their all in CS.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:24 AM   #43
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

i like these alot !!!
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM   #44
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

I am a little confused are these officially part of the central station development if so are they replacing earlier designs or are these new designs for lots outside central station proper?
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:29 AM   #45
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Outside I think.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:30 AM   #46
Rascacielos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom
It's cool with me to keep it here. I think they Rock! Can't wait to see the existing building come down.

I dont think it fits in the South Loop Developement thread. We need a Near South Development Thread. Roosevelt and Cermak, The Lake and Clark

Here are the official boarders of Central Station. http://www.centralstationsouthloop.com/dev_location.htm

It zigs and zags south of 16th street. Praire Point Tower is just to the north, 1600 Museum is just across the street and Museum Park Place is further South at their all in CS.
This is taken directly from the Central Station page you linked to:

"Central Station is located at the southern foot of Grant Park and is bordered by Roosevelt Road on the north, Michigan Avenue to the west, Lake Shore Drive to the east and McCormick Place to the south."

Last edited by Rascacielos; March 31st, 2006 at 02:45 AM.
Rascacielos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:12 AM   #47
Chicagotom

Ok, I was looking at the highlighted area of the map.

Roosevelt Road to the North and Lakeshore drive to East. The Western border is the Eastside of Michigan Avenue starting at Roosevelt Road - South to 14th Street, then it jogs to Indiana and the Eastside of Indiana to 16th Street, then it jogs to Praire Ave (except for the lot that Prairie Point Tower is on) South to 18th and it jogs to Calumet Ave south to maybe the RR Donley building.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM   #48
Chicagotom

Sky 55

I noticed some interest in Sky 55 in a few threads so here are few.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #49
Chicagotom

Lagrange Towers. Bvictor had the renderings of a 35 and 45 story towers at 18th and Prairie. This is whats on the site today

Thats Prairie Point to the north

Glessner House is across the street and Museum Park Place is just in site

Old April 13th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #50
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Some Central Station photos I took Monday (4/10):

Museum Park Place

Museum Tower

For those outside of Chicago who may not know, Central Station is more than just a group of high-rise condo projects. It also consists of brand new residential neighborhoods. Some of the infill is quite attractive.

E. 18th and Prairie

Sky55 in the background.

On the way back to the Loop.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; April 13th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #51
ChicagoLover

Lookin' good. Lookin' real good.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #52
mohammed wong

some of central station is too monotonous and sterile,
rowhouses should or could have some differences in them does extra style or design cost that much, sure some rowhouses are the same,
but in rows in that long it doesnt look good atleast in that style,

im not a huge fan of faux historic,
i think they are overdoing it with this style,
i hope the developers and people break out this slump soon,
not all bad, just not great

Last edited by mohammed wong; April 13th, 2006 at 06:22 AM.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #53
mohammed wong

[QUOTE=hydrogen]

this is pretty bland and pukey

not bad but a bit long with the same style

Old April 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #54
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

Wong... you're worse than Tyra Banks. What can please you?

Edit* I meant Naomi Campbell... Eh, you get the point
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #55
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
Wong... you're worse than Tyra Banks. What can please you?

Edit* I meant Naomi Campbell... Eh, you get the point
i guess on this board its crazy to not like all new construction,

they do an okay job, but its just disgusting how much of the old is disappearing also,

central station is infill, but i miss the good old days when individual plots were built by different people,
they give too big a plot to one certain developer and this is what you get
bland monotony,

i guess i should just have no standards, yeah thats better,
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #56
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I actually agree with our eternal crybaby here ( I kid, Wong, I kid ) regarding the monotomy, although I also think some of the townhomes were well done.

But I am comforted by the fact that the thousands of rowhouses built in London in the late 19th/early 20th centuries for "commoners" were decried as lowly and "monotonous" but are now considered gems worth millions.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #57
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Well, I guess we'll find out in a hundred years how this all plays out.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #58
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Well, I guess if large-scale redevelopment bothers anyone here, they're free to move elsewhere to a place where it's not happening. Perhaps give Detroit a try? I hear it's lovely this time of year. Personally, I'll take bland infill over empty or decaying any day.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #59
ChicagoLover

I don't understand your perspective on this, Wong. You say you don't like faux historical, and you don't like massive redevelopment, yet you look back nostalgically to development in Chicago's past. But much if not most of the development in Chicago's past involved (1) copying architectural styles from previous periods, and (2) mass redevelopment with identical and/or very similar rowhouses or tracthomes.

Look at the original Central Station website that has not been updated. The developers clearly envisioned most of the development to be completed with traditional styling. Now look at what's gone up -- a mixture of traditionally styled townhouses and (generally) modernist condominium towers. Sky55 came out wonderfully, as did Museum Park Lofts II next to it, in my opinion. I wouldn't call this development monotonous in the least. Besides, the new Prairie Avenue townhouse/mansions are well varied and look gorgeous in my opinion.

I don't mind rows of identically styled rowhouses nearly as far as the eye can see. I like the urban feel that gives -- the repitition ad infinitum produces a sense of "bigness" -- going on seemingly forever or more than one can easily comprehend -- that reflects that aspect of urbanity that I like.

Last edited by ChicagoLover; April 14th, 2006 at 11:20 PM.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #60
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
I don't understand your perspective on this, Wong. You say you don't like faux historical, and you don't like massive redevelopment, yet you look back nostalgically to development in Chicago's past. But much if not most of the development in Chicago's past involved (1) copying architectural styles from previous periods, and (2) mass redevelopment with identical and/or very similar rowhouses or tracthomes.

Look at the original Central Station website that has not been updated. The developers clearly envisioned most of the development to be completed with traditional styling. Now look at what's gone up -- a mixture of traditionally styled townhouses and (generally) modernist condominium towers. Sky55 came out wonderfully, as did Museum Park Lofts II next to it, in my opinion. I wouldn't call this development monotonous in the least. Besides, the new Prairie Avenue townhouse/mansions are well varied and look gorgeous in my opinion.

I don't mind rows of identically styled rowhouses nearly as far as the eye can see. I like the urban feel that gives -- the repitition ad infinitum produces a sense of "bigness" -- going on seemingly forever or more than one can easily comprehend -- that reflects that aspect of urbanity that I like.

alot of chicago though isnt super monotonous and individual plots were developed by individual people, which i guess isnt realistic due to the high cost of land....
some of this stuff isnt too bad, i just think its overly residential without a good mix of retail in there at all,
i mean an occasional 7 eleven or something would be nice on the corner or what not, but the occasional bar or retail place inside a residential neigborhood is going the way of the dinosaur, ESPECIALLY when the artful dodger is knocked down, i think chicago is moving in the wrong direction when it separates the residential from its retail TOO MUCH,

dont get me wrong, its not that bad, and some of them are pretty cool,
but IMHO a little more variety would be nice,
Im sure alot of this will age well, i like older better, and true alot of the blocks had alot of the same designs, but will small differences however, alot of chicagos greystones are similar but not IDENTICAL,
same goes for the bungalows, sure many are similar/identical,
but not monotonous.
to me its an eyesore when i look down a street and i see twenty or more townhomes the exact EXACT same.

And as you can see many mansions were torn down that were unique, true similar in style but different, some survived which is great, but it would be nice if some rich muckey mucks bought some of the plots and had new mansions built, in either old style or new,
its just too planned for me, but hey its just my opinion.