daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM   #81
skyscraperman

Likes (Received): 0

central station

The way central station is progressing chicago will have a second skyline like new york although central station is no lower manhatten it is certainly turning into a second skyline that gets your attention as you drive to or from the loop, after one museum park tops out a 734'tower south of the loop will look enormous plus after all the other towers get built there it will be impressive.
skyscraperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM   #82
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperman View Post
The way central station is progressing chicago will have a second skyline like new york although central station is no lower manhatten it is certainly turning into a second skyline that gets your attention as you drive to or from the loop, after one museum park tops out a 734'tower south of the loop will look enormous plus after all the other towers get built there it will be impressive.
i would tend to look at chicago as one big skyline, far diffferent from New York's Midtown and Downtown. Those two are miles apart and will never join. The Chicago model has been the expanding downtown, starting with the Loop and going on to incorporate the overflow of the Mag Mile/Streeterville, River North, Old Town, Gold Coast, West Loop, South Loop, Central Station, etc. If I were driving south on Lake Shore Drive, as far as I'm concerned, I would be "downtown" from North Ave. to Cermak.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:41 PM   #83
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I agree. They will all be united into one giant heap of steel and concrete
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:17 AM   #84
skyscraperman

['''
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:24 AM   #85
skyscraperman

central station

Last edited by skyscraperman; October 22nd, 2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:02 AM   #86
skyscraperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i would tend to look at chicago as one big skyline, far diffferent from New York's Midtown and Downtown. Those two are miles apart and will never join. The Chicago model has been the expanding downtown, starting with the Loop and going on to incorporate the overflow of the Mag Mile/Streeterville, River North, Old Town, Gold Coast, West Loop, South Loop, Central Station, etc. If I were driving south on Lake Shore Drive, as far as I'm concerned, I would be "downtown" from North Ave. to Cermak.
different what are you talking about;chicago is the second largest downtown in the unted states chicago is similar to new york in a lot of ways one being competition in building height, 2) the tallest buildings in chicago are standing in the same position as new yorks are, the sears tower empire state bldg.-aon center and the chrysler- john hancock and citicorp center ect. ect. sure chicagos layout is different but the idea is the same going along south to central station from the loop the buildings shrink in height then rise again in central station just like new york and if theybuild tall in the gap between the loop and central station making one huge skyline then new york will do the same and if they dont they will eventually or counter with something else.its an old rivalry its fun on both sides.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #87
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

If only it were that simple skyscraperman.

As much as it pains me to say... the "me too, me too" mentality is something that only Chicago possesses, not New York. If we connect our two skylines (not that I'm conceding to the fact that we even have two skylines) New York would never feel inclined to do the same just because we did.

Highrise development is a market-driven phenomenon, not a political event. The City of New York could never just make a decision to unite Lower and Midtown Manhatten - even if they wanted to.

Quantitatively - let's assume they did want to. If we consider the "void" between Midtown and Lower Manhatten to be approximately from 30th Street (a generous southern boundary of Midtown) to the Chambers/Brooklyn Bridge area you're already talking about a distance of 2.5 miles, or roughly 45 blocks. So, even if you're talking about nothing more than a shoestring connection between the Midtown and Lower skylines, no fewer than 45 towers would need to be constructed (and more likely somewhere between 60 and 90).

Sorry. Just felt like playing devil's advocate and this seemed like a good way to do it.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:29 PM   #88
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

the distance between modtown and downtown mannhattan is more like downtown chicago and downtown evanston. the central station is barley but yet still is connects to the southloop
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM   #89
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

No.... Downtown Evanston is 11 miles from the Loop. (I checked it on Google Earth)

North Avenue to Cermak is 4 miles, the exact same distance as Times Square to Battery Park. Just throught that was kinda cool.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:55 AM   #90
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperman View Post
different what are you talking about;chicago is the second largest downtown in the unted states chicago is similar to new york in a lot of ways one being competition in building height, 2) the tallest buildings in chicago are standing in the same position as new yorks are, the sears tower empire state bldg.-aon center and the chrysler- john hancock and citicorp center ect. ect. sure chicagos layout is different but the idea is the same going along south to central station from the loop the buildings shrink in height then rise again in central station just like new york and if theybuild tall in the gap between the loop and central station making one huge skyline then new york will do the same and if they dont they will eventually or counter with something else.its an old rivalry its fun on both sides.
what the heck are you talking about? did you think I was putting Chicago in a lesser light than New York? If so, you sure have me wrong...I'm the biggest, most obnoxious Chicago booster there is. Am I misunderstandingyou or did you really think that what I wrote was any sort of put down to Chicago (it was, in fact, the opposite)

All I was saying was that New York's two CBD's are separated by considerable real estate that will never be bridged. Midtown will stay Midtown and Downtown will stay Downtown. Chicago, on the other hand, had its two most important centers (the Loop and Mag Mile/Streeterville) adjacent to each other. Their destiny was to join into one super sized downtown and drag a number of other high rise communities around them into it.

Personally I prefer Chicago's single center to New York's dual centers.
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #91
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

why the comparisons?

why all the comparisons between new york and chicago? new york will never be like chicago and chicago will never be like new york. they are two completely different cities that only share few similarities: skyscrapers, trains, taxis and the same continent. i can't think of any city on this planet that compares itself to new york all the time. i'd like to go on point that chicago is better, cleaner and will def be more modern.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #92
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Actually, in terms of architectural and urban forms and scale, we are probably the closest American city to New York. At least, that's what I've noticed. We are much more like NY than LA or Atlanta, for example. That's why the age-old Chicago/NYC comparisons are valid.

Now - *whips* - back on topic! Chicago will have a large, unified skyline. 'Nuff said.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #93
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Actually, in terms of architectural and urban forms and scale, we are probably the closest American city to New York. At least, that's what I've noticed. We are much more like NY than LA or Atlanta, for example. That's why the age-old Chicago/NYC comparisons are valid.

Now - *whips* - back on topic! Chicago will have a large, unified skyline. 'Nuff said.
Perhaps among the major "skyline cities", Chicago may be more similiar to San Francisco than any other city.

Both Chicago and San Francisco have only one major core.....and that one core is dominant not only over city and metro area, but in the case of both cities remains a very select hub by any measure.

Contrast this with:

Manhattan: Downtown and Midtown
LA: downtown and any number of hubs like Century City, Wilshire Corridor, etc.
Atlanta: downtown, midtown
Houston: downtown, Galleria area
Boston: downtown, back bay
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #94
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Umm...maybe edsg...but really if you look at heights a place like Uptown or more accuratley sheridan road between say foster and granville...actually quite a good spread kinda puts those other city's non-central hubs to shame...granted the non-cnetral hubs in chI are not anything like MT, LMHT, but to say Chicago is uninodal I think is simplistic.....I agree.....and noone sane could argue that Chi is overwhelmingly centralised but there are nodes elsewhere that compare favorably with other multinodes except perhaps NYC

I really hate these NYC / CHI comparison and I generally shy away but I just had to disagree with your premise here edsg
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #95
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No.... Downtown Evanston is 11 miles from the Loop. (I checked it on Google Earth)

North Avenue to Cermak is 4 miles, the exact same distance as Times Square to Battery Park. Just throught that was kinda cool.
DT evanston is at least 11 miles from the loop....there is a sign at Clark and Pratt that points south and says DT 9.5 miles....I live right there......you cannot tell me that clark and pratt are only 1.5 mile to DT evanston

In fact my girlfriend often rides her bike or in winter drives ( Booooo......I know..I know I tell her take the metra or the L, but she is oriiginally from the 'burbs and old habits die hard) she measure the distance from our house to DT evanston where she works to be ~3.5 miles, we live about 2 blocks west of clark so from DT Evanston its gotta be at closer to 13 miles..Google earth is not always very exact, I have verified before

Last edited by forumly_chgoman; October 27th, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #96
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

edsg25: No, but here's what I see: San Francisco is so topographically different from Chicago that the two cities can never feel the same. Comparing Manhattan and areas of Chicago may be a stretch, but Brooklyn and Queens are incredibly similar to the non-central areas of Chicago. The houses are very similar architecturally, street grids with transit, similarly-sized blocks, positions of schools, parks, libraries, etc. The streetscapes in NYC are closer to the ones here than any other city.

If you just look at the shape of the skyline, then your comparison to SF is valid (assuming you don't count the mountains in the skyline!)
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #97
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
Umm...maybe edsg...but really if you look at heights a place like Uptown or more accuratley sheridan road between say foster and granville...actually quite a good spread kinda puts those other city's non-central hubs to shame...granted the non-cnetral hubs in chI are not anything like MT, LMHT, but to say Chicago is uninodal I think is simplistic.....I agree.....and noone sane could argue that Chi is overwhelmingly centralised but there are nodes elsewhere that compare favorably with other multinodes except perhaps NYC

I really hate these NYC / CHI comparison and I generally shy away but I just had to disagree with your premise here edsg
Couple points here:

I tend to exclude strictly residential high rise zones (when removed from the center of the city) as being hubs. Thus, to me, the high rises that march northward along the lakefront from North Avenue...on Clark, LPW, Lakeview, the Drive, and Sheridan...on up to Devon aren't hubs.

Second...Like most of you, I see no need for gratuitous NY/Chgo comparisons. However, there are many places where comparison is warranted. Population aside (in deference to LA), New York and Chicago still remain the two best examples of the hustling, bustling "big city". In fact, nothing really compares: neither SF or Boston have the population, LA the traditional city layout, Philly the "buzz", to match the Big Apple and the Wild Onion.

And in the (relative) privacy of the Chicago forum, and speaking strictly from personal opinion and with no allusions of being factual, the New York-Chicago rivalry/comparison thing bothers me little because I honestly think Chicago kicks ass when compared to New York. To me, ours is the ultimate American city, by far, the one place in the nation where critical mass and all you'd expect in a phenominal urban center comes in a package that is inviting, and usable, and incredibly beautiful. Chicago proves that a big city can be enthralling...and still be livable. If that is offensive to some, I'm sorry. And if others disagree with me...that's fine. They are entitled to their opinions as much as I am.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #98
SkylineHeaven
Chicago: One and Only

Likes (Received): 32

Central Station skyline updates:

Scroll----------------------------->

Chicago Skyline Wallpaper - November, 2006

Chicago Skyline Heaven : Only da best of one and only!

City Skylines Heaven : Show us the best city skyline pix
SkylineHeaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #99
SkylineHeaven

Old November 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #100
SkylineHeaven

Lakeshore East projects, Chicago loop projects and central station project all in one on 11/26!
Scoll----------------------->