daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #181
nasa35

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Except that's precisely what you're doing. Becoming expensive isn't something to aspire to but you might want to peruse this list which clearly shows a city doesn't have to be the self appointed 'capital of the world' to be expensive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p....html?image=19

Can we get back to the proposal or aren't you quite done talking down to Toronto?
who's bashing Toronto? Jeesch, grow up.

Manitopiaaa, TheIllinoisan liked this post
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #182
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Except that's precisely what you're doing. Becoming expensive isn't something to aspire to but you might want to peruse this list which clearly shows a city doesn't have to be the self appointed 'capital of the world' to be expensive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p....html?image=19 New York is 8th and Toronto sized Singapore 30% more expensive than New York.

Can we get back to the proposal or aren't you quite done talking down to Toronto?
There is no need to be so sensitive. Not everyone shares your opinion or agrees with your predictions, bud. That doesnt mean that I am "bashing" Toronto, and that certainly was not my intent. Im just trying to be realistic.

Manitopiaaa liked this post

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; April 17th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #183
saiho

Likes (Received): 1208

Quote:
Toronto adds as many people each year as New York and will likely start adding more in the coming years. Toronto has the same geographic restrictions as New York due to the lake on one side and the Green Belt on the other.
What? No there is a gap of open farmland between the Greenbelt and the built up area of the GTA which is large enough to accommodate 20 years of sprawl. Real estate agents just say that Toronto is locked up tighter than HK to justify the ridiculous prices and fuel the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) panic; Driving more housing transactions and pushing prices higher. Also like the posts above said "if" experts find evidence that the Greenbelt is choking the GTA the government will release more land from the Greenbelt its not non-negotiable like a mountain range or a river.

Quote:
Everything is in place for Toronto real estate prices to converge with New York real estate prices. It's not there yet but demand/supply is very similar in these 2 cities.
Not really. That mentality that housing prices will always appreciate because of x and y is what fuels the "bubble" in Toronto. Not foreign buyers, not speculators, not the greenbelt. It's the expectation that these aforementioned factors will make prices go up indefinitely.

Quote:
The era of detached housing is coming to an end here and the vast majority of growth is occurring on the existing footprint. It's all about intensification and increased population density planned around transit.
Most likely not considering the detached house is the most coveted commodity in the GTA right now. Most population growth in the GTA is in the suburban 905 Belt not the City of Toronto. Sure Toronto got the population density part down pat but I can't say the same for the transit side of things.

nylkoorB liked this post

Last edited by saiho; April 19th, 2017 at 05:53 AM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 09:00 PM   #184
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

None of the current data or studies support anything you're saying. You're posting based on your personal perception rather than reading the mountain of material that's circulated over the last few years. And the next 20 years is your view horizon? Really? Speechless.

Just one tiny bit of the mountain of data that exists: Taken by themselves one can't conclude anything. Read 100s of pages of documents and one can draw concrete conclusions based on solid research. Not that you've read any of it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 23rd, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 09:15 PM   #185
isaidso
the new republic

I suppose now you're going to argue that the table is only based on affordability rather than read the ton of other data out there. And your comment on transit is stuck in 2010. How can you be completely oblivious to the billions being spent to fix the transit deficit?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 23rd, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #186
saiho

Likes (Received): 1208

Ouch. Seems like I have struck a nerve. Well then real estate economics guru, indulge me with some of your hundreds of pages of documents and mountain of material that's circulated over the last few years. As for transit, the current expansion underway is a mere drop in the ocean of Toronto's transit deficit. It's a start but that is all Toronto does for transit expansion, start. If prices are to match New York well we better have a transit system of a similar caliber. Judging from the way we do transit expansion here I don't think we will reach that point any time soon.

Manitopiaaa, TheIllinoisan liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #187
TheIllinoisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Ouch. Seems like I have struck a nerve. Well then real estate economics guru, indulge me with some of your hundreds of pages of documents and mountain of material that's circulated over the last few years. As for transit, the current expansion underway is a mere drop in the ocean of Toronto's transit deficit. It's a start but that is all Toronto does for transit expansion, start. If prices are to match New York well we better have a transit system of a similar caliber. Judging from the way we do transit expansion here I don't think we will reach that point any time soon.
This x20. Toronto has made tremendous urbanization progress lately, but unless some enormous improvements are made to its pitiful mass transit system, its never going to even come close to New York in terms of urbanization and prolonged real estate values. Toronto's infrastructure deficiencies guarantee that it is impossible for these grossly over-inflated real estate values currently being witnessed to last indefinitely.

nylkoorB, Manitopiaaa liked this post

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; April 28th, 2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old April 28th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #188
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

Why would you even want real estate prices to match NYC? I live in NYC and I love it, but the real estate prices are easily the worst part of living here. Out of all the things about NYC to aspire/look up to, this is not one of them.

KillerZavatar, bodegavendetta, Zaz965 liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #189
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1767

This has been approved by the OMB according to UT.

Munwon, enrigue8 liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #190
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
Why would you even want real estate prices to match NYC?
Nobody does. The Toronto Real Estate Board reported Wednesday that the average price rose to $916,567 last month, up from $688,011 in March 2016.

When prices rise 33% year over year after many years of double digit gains you can bet your bottom dollar that lots of people are getting worried. It's about avoiding what one sees in other pricey markets. Thinking it can't happen here is naive and there are always people who ignore all the warning signs.

Most vested players including the government see where we're heading and are taking measures to avoid further jumps. It's in our long term interest that they're successful. Similar measures in Vancouver were a failure up until very recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04..._15826926.html

Last edited by isaidso; May 5th, 2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #191
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
This has been approved by the OMB according to UT.
Looks like this one might break ground before any of the other 300m+ proposals.

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #192
Victoria123

It's official. Mizrahi has been given the green light from the OMB.
The new height is 306m which is 2m taller than was known before.

From the article 'The One by Sam Mizrahi prepares for sales after development receives final approval from OMB'

Quote:
With both city council and OMB approval, the highly anticipated residential project can officially commence with pre-construction preparations and residential pre-sales. The sales gallery is currently under construction and is anticipated to open to the public this September. The developer is also in the midst of obtaining all the necessary permits to start excavation, shoring and tieback installation, which Mizrahi expects to start in or before September.
When the project is completed in late 2022, THE ONE will become Canada’s tallest building and second tallest structure after the CN Tower. The 305.6 metre tower will rise 82 storeys above Yonge Street and Bloor Street East at one of the most high-profile intersections in the city.

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #193
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3185

Canada is getting a supertall! Great!

enrigue8, Victoria123, Zaz965 liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #194
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Canada is getting a supertall! Great!
This is the first supertall in Toronto and all of Canada?

Wow. I didn't realize that. Congrats you guys. This is a big deal.

enrigue8 liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #195
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
This is the first supertall in Toronto and all of Canada?

Wow. I didn't realize that. Congrats you guys. This is a big deal.
We have 6 or so proposed. Looks like The One will be the first to be built.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #196
TheIllinoisan

Really loved that Hancock-esque original design, but this is still a solid iteration. Either this or 385 Yonge is the best current Toronto supertall proposal. Either way, this would be a great first supertall for Toronto and Canada. Kind of funny how this could be Canada's first supertall even though the First Canadian tower is only 6 meters shorter.

I really wish that this design was built. This is, in my opinion, the nicest tower design ever proposed for Canada. It looks like a cross between the Hancock Center and the Hearst Tower, which are two of the nicest skyscrapers ever built.

One Bloor West by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; May 16th, 2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #197
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 26017

I like this diagrid

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #198
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Yeah, I like the diagrid much better than this current design. Maybe the new design is cheaper?
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #199
TheIllinoisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Toronto View Post
Yeah, I like the diagrid much better than this current design. Maybe the new design is cheaper?
The current proposal is about 20 meters shorter than the original proposal, so it is almost certainly a cheaper design. Its still quite nice though. It would be cool if the original diagrid design could be built somewhere else one day.

XGADGET liked this post
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:25 AM   #200
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
The current proposal is about 20 meters shorter than the original proposal, so it is almost certainly a cheaper design. Its still quite nice though. It would be cool if the original diagrid design could be built somewhere else one day.
The total cost was reported at $1 billion.

XGADGET liked this post

Tags
one bloor west, the one, toronto