daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #141
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
I thought this was approved already?
Unfortunately, not quite yet.
The city and the developer have come to terms so hopefully it will fly through the remaining procedures to the groundbreaking event.

The iconic golden diamond facade (from the same website).

Munwon, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #142
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12195

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...een-light.html

City Hall

How Toronto’s latest mega tower got the green light

The story of how one very tall, very dense building at Yonge and Bloor got approved by the city — despite objections.

Toronto developer Sam Mizrahi said earlier this summer that more than 2,000 people have pre-registered for the 416 advertised units in "The One," the 80-storey building coming to Yonge and Bloor.

By Jennifer PagliaroCity Hall reporter
Mon., Sept. 12, 2016

What’s been pitched as a “sanctuary in the clouds” is making heads spin at ground level.

An unprecedented development — an 80-storey Toronto condo tower that will be second in height only to the CN Tower — sets a new standard for density at a crucial downtown intersection. Those extremes have created schisms at city hall over more than a year, during a planning process that has left key questions lingering: How much is too much? And who decides?

Old September 12th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #143
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

As much as I love the density coming I do feel like some height limit for downtown should be agreed upon. I don't think anything over 500m should be permitted for the time being. The City could review that policy periodically.

This building is only 304m so nowhere close to being so tall that people should be concerned. The CN Tower is 553m so it's not like Toronto would be in unchartered territory with buildings up to 500m. Instead of restricting tall buildings the City should be focused on infrastructure investments to meet higher densities.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; September 12th, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #144
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

City Hall

How Toronto’s latest mega tower got the green light

The story of how one very tall, very dense building at Yonge and Bloor got approved by the city — despite objections.

Toronto developer Sam Mizrahi said earlier this summer that more than 2,000 people have pre-registered for the 416 advertised units in "The One," the 80-storey building coming to Yonge and Bloor.

By Jennifer PagliaroCity Hall reporter
Mon., Sept. 12, 2016

What’s been pitched as a “sanctuary in the clouds” is making heads spin at ground level.

An unprecedented development — an 80-storey Toronto condo tower that will be second in height only to the CN Tower — sets a new standard for density at a crucial downtown intersection. Those extremes have created schisms at city hall over more than a year, during a planning process that has left key questions lingering: How much is too much? And who decides?

Reading the article made me want to vomit, almost like it was written by Wong-Tam herself. That lady has issues and needs to stop existing, at least at her current post.

"as she tried to work out some crucial details — how the community will be compensated for the added height and density"

It's plain as day to see the twisted mindset here. WHY should anyone in an area such as this "be compensated" for height and density? Everyone seems to think they should get a slice of every pie. The illogical reasoning here is that height and density are the issue when the fact is that all they are doing is CONSTANTLY f*cking over Toronto's status and awe factor by shortening every damn proposal that goes to the city. The enemy is not developers who
want to build tall buildings, it's developers who want to build CRAP buildings. It's funny how they make such a big deal about this beautiful tower because "OMG IT"S SOOO TALL!" but let some piece of crap eye sore get it's application through 10 times quicker.

If the city would ask for BETTER GOD DAMN DESIGNS from EVERY developer and stop pissing themselves over the arbitrary and idiotic "issue" of height (as if it's actually an issue) Toronto would be filled with tall, inspiring and architecturally beautiful buildings and Wong-Tam would still get her cut of the pie "for the community". So...yaay it's going through, that's great. But I'm still extremely bitter about them dropping the height of this tower from something rather impressive too just "tallest in Toronto by a few meters", they do it do to nearly every damn tall proposal. She needs to go and be replaced by somebody who gets it, somebody with vision.

neilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #145
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 26001

there is a strong resemblance with torre pabellon m Monterrey

Pabellón M Enero 2016
by Victor M. Torres, en Flickr
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #146
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

So is this approved now?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #147
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

Essentially, yes. They have reached a settlement with the organization that appealed the city council approval to the courts, but have to wait until a pre-hearing meeting in November to formally notify the court of the settlement and "seal the deal".

Munwon, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:34 AM   #148
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz965 View Post
there is a strong resemblance with torre pabellon m Monterrey

Pabellón M Enero 2016
by Victor M. Torres, en Flickr
Yeah the shape looks similar.
But I can assure you that once this is built, it will look a lot less blue than that.

Old September 13th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #149
isaidso
the new republic

Looking forward to this but it did look much better with the extra 10 floors and the original 340m height. I suppose they could always add floors in the future when the climate towards tall buildings is more favourable. (I'm joking ....sort of).

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; September 13th, 2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #150
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

I will never understand the logic behind knocking ten floors off of a building just because the neighbours think it's too tall. So 340 meters is too tall but 304 meters is pretty much a pancake.

mw123, Eric Offereins liked this post
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #151
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
As much as I love the density coming I do feel like some height limit for downtown should be agreed upon. I don't think anything over 500m should be permitted for the time being. The City could review that policy periodically.

This building is only 304m so nowhere close to being so tall that people should be concerned. The CN Tower is 553m so it's not like Toronto would be in unchartered territory with buildings up to 500m. Instead of restricting tall buildings the City should be focused on infrastructure investments to meet higher densities.
What in the world for ? What justification is there for a height limit ? Is New York too tall ? Chicago, Dubai, Shanghai...too tall ?

Airports, infrastructure weaknesses, suburban settings...those are reasons for limiting heights. Downtown is supposed to be the place where you put the tall buildings.

Quall liked this post
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #152
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Which is the final design? The one with the cross-bracing?
Old September 20th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #153
isaidso
the new republic

In many cases, people like to think they've won. You take 10 floors off and the NIMBYS leave with something ....even if it accomplished nothing in reality. If you want 305m, ask for 340m. If you want 340m, ask for 380m.

In this case it also had to do with shadowing on a grade school a few blocks to the northwest. Apparently, children need direct sunlight or they turn into pumpkins. They should just move the school .....to Florida.

Last edited by isaidso; September 20th, 2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #154
Al-Z

Likes (Received): 41

I agree this project would have looked better at the original proposed height of 340 metres. Still, 304, 305m it will still stand out in the Yonge/Bloor area.
Al-Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:12 PM   #155
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What in the world for ? What justification is there for a height limit ? Is New York too tall ? Chicago, Dubai, Shanghai...too tall ?

Airports, infrastructure weaknesses, suburban settings...those are reasons for limiting heights. Downtown is supposed to be the place where you put the tall buildings.
In architecture one takes context into consideration when designing a building. Its location and what exists in the immediate area is taken into account so that the building compliments, elevates, and interacts with its surroundings successfully.

I don't have issue with mega tall buildings but prefer cities/skylines to build organically over time. As much as I love the CN Tower, it's taken 40 years for our skyline to build up towards it. I'd rather we built 10-20 buildings in the 300-500m range first and then bump up the limit to 700m. Taipei 101 is way too tall for Taipei's skyline. I don't want to see a repeat of that here.

Victoria123 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; September 22nd, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:28 AM   #156
Victoria123

Benito, UT

Chairs at the bottom-left corner for the groundbreaking event??

TowerVerre:), Munwon liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:32 PM   #157
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

Haha, love that little remaining building just sitting there awkwardly.
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:10 AM   #158
Victoria123

Some activity noticed by Benito, UT.

Munwon, Patrick Highrise liked this post
Old November 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #159
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

Shoring Permit issued last Friday:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON M4W 1A3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 260226 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Nov 4, 2016

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Proposal for stand-alone shoring for Soil Remediation

Looks like this is about to start construction!

Munwon, Victoria123, Marco Polo liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #160
Victoria123

Tags
one bloor west, the one, toronto