daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #161
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Woot!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:59 AM   #162
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 708

I m glad that Canada will have a supertall over 300 meters, but if it would have been better if the design was prettier and more sophisticated.
But i don t say it ugly but there is better than this.
For the height,it a big go for our country.
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #163
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Perhaps you should wait for the finished product before passing judgment. It looks very luxe imo and a step up from a quite spiffy One Bloor across the street.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #164
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1768

Sales to start this fall.

https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news....500_toronto-re
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #165
isaidso
the new republic

It will be interesting to see if we get a repeat of the One Bloor launch when people camped on the street to be the first into the showroom. It will also test how strong the upper end of the market is. These will be very expensive units.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:45 AM   #166
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It will be interesting to see if we get a repeat of the One Bloor launch when people camped on the street to be the first into the showroom. It will also test how strong the upper end of the market is. These will be very expensive units.
I don't doubt it. A lot of rich people who are interested in Toronto these days.

I heard many of the Chinese investors are turning their heads from Vancouver to Toronto after the implementation of the new policy on empty homes.
Hopefully, the empty house problem doesn't occur in Toronto.

According to UT, VIP sales will begin near the end of this month.
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #167
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
When does the construction start? Will they wait until they got a decent amount of apartments sold?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #168
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
When does the construction start? Will they wait until they got a decent amount of apartments sold?
In Toronto a developer needs to reach a benchmark percentage sold to proceed. I believe it's in the 70-80% sold range. I doubt this one will have any trouble getting there. If the condo across the street is any indication, this might sell out in a couple days.

Last edited by isaidso; April 8th, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #169
enrigue8
BANNED

Good to hear that !
But i wonder if the building will be redesigned ?
At this height,we deserve a better design.
A design like 285 Yonge,mirvish,2 Carlton or a copy of 1 bloor would have been nicer.
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #170
isaidso
the new republic

This is the nicest design since Scotia Plaza imo.

A bigger concern is the over heated market. People on SSC have been talking about the Toronto housing bubble for about 10 years yet no crash occurred. The fundamentals behind the prices were strong throughout that period. The latest data to come out is very worrisome though. House prices jumped 30% year over year and some tenants are seeing 100% price increases in rent. If this continues for much longer it will correct. They need to take drastic measures to cool things off and fast.

Toronto manages to build enough condos to keep up with demand but the problem is in other market segments. Demand far outstrips supply when it comes to detached houses. Unless they can figure out how to build a ton more we're going to be in for a very rough landing. That said, it's still cheaper than New York..... I think?

enrigue8 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 8th, 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old April 8th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #171
enrigue8
BANNED

Quote:

A bigger concern is the over heated market. People on SSC have been talking about the Toronto housing bubble for about 10 years yet no crash occurred. The fundamentals behind the prices were strong throughout that period. The latest data to come out is very worrisome though. House prices jumped 30% year over year and some tenants are seeing 100% price increases in rent. If this continues for much longer it will correct. They need to take drastic measures to cool things off and fast.

Toronto manages to build enough condos to keep up with demand but the problem is in other market segments. Demand far outstrips supply when it comes to detached houses. Unless they can figure out how to build a ton more we're going to be in for a very rough landing. That said, it's still cheaper than New York..... I think?
To build more house,they can print 3D house like in Amsterdam.
And the city should focus to build more homes.Housing is a right and not a rich investor commodity.
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #172
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:

Definitely still cheaper than NYC, that's for sure. But then again that's not saying much.
I don't think you have to worry about Toronto becoming as expensive as NYC. There's much less of a supply/demand issue than with NYC.
Plus Toronto doesn't have issues with geographical restrictions like NYC does, since 4/5 NYC boroughs are on islands and have limited space. Toronto doesn't have to worry about that.

That being said, if Toronto wants to continue growing into a larger & more global city then Toronto should forget about detached single homes. I understand that a large portion of your city is suburban due to the fact that most of the city used to be suburbs that have been annexed by the city somewhat recently. But Toronto should be smart with the way they build unless they want to end up like a boring US sunbelt city, but without all the warmth and sunshine.

Jaborandi liked this post

Last edited by nylkoorB; April 9th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #173
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto adds as many people each year as New York and will likely start adding more in the coming years. Toronto has the same geographic restrictions as New York due to the lake on one side and the Green Belt on the other.

Everything is in place for Toronto real estate prices to converge with New York real estate prices. It's not there yet but demand/supply is very similar in these 2 cities.

The era of detached housing is coming to an end here and the vast majority of growth is occurring on the existing footprint. It's all about intensification and increased population density planned around transit.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Statistics Canada population growth estimate for the Toronto CMA shows 118,400 in one year:

2015 - 6,123,900
2016 - 6,242,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
Housing is a right and not a rich investor commodity.
Sure but the issue is the type of housing in demand and land scarcity. The arguments for the Green Belt are strong and sound. Being hemmed in by it and the lake means that Toronto can't continue to build detached houses on large lots like it used to. That's why prices for them are skyrocketing.

I suppose developments like this will simply jump to north of the Green Belt but right now the only 'affordable' detached housing in the Golden Horseshoe is in Hamilton or St.Catharines-Niagara. Prices for single family housing in the whole region will continue to spike because we can't continue to build them. It's all about high rise and mid rise construction on our current geographic footprint.

Last edited by isaidso; April 10th, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #174
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Toronto adds as many people each year as New York and will likely start adding more in the coming years. Toronto has the same geographic restrictions as New York due to the lake on one side and the Green Belt on the other.

Everything is in place for Toronto real estate prices to converge with New York real estate prices. It's not there yet but demand/supply is very similar in these 2 cities.

The era of detached housing is coming to an end here and the vast majority of growth is occurring on the existing footprint. It's all about intensification and increased population density planned around transit.
You don't have to worry about Toronto becoming NYC expensive. Toronto may be somewhat restrained, but is not restrained the way NYC is.
NYC is built on islands. Manhattan itself is an island of only 23 sq miles (59 km). Staten Island is also its own island, and Brooklyn and Queens at the very edge of another island. It's what contributes to the extreme hyper density and urbanization of Manhattan and other parts of NYC.

Toronto doesn't have to worry about that kind of restriction. The greenbelt is not in the city. It's on the outskirts of the region. Also the government has control over that. There's nothing NYC can do about the islands.

And there's no way demand in Toronto is equal to NYC. Even if growth has been similar recently, your have to remember that the whole greater Toronto area has a lower population than NYC city limits alone. The NYC Metro has a population of 20-23 Million depending on if you're looking at MSA or CSA.

Last edited by nylkoorB; April 11th, 2017 at 01:51 AM.
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:58 AM   #175
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

this has its Ontario Municipal Board hearing (essentially planning court) on April 18th. Even though city council is in approval of this project, the local neighborhood association has appealed the project to the board over concerns for site servicing through the rear laneway.

After the hearing, the project should receive approvals and be able to move towards construction. They have had construction permits filed for months waiting on zoning approvals to go through.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #176
isaidso
the new republic

Good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
You don't have to worry about Toronto becoming NYC expensive.
You don't seem to be familiar with the internal/external factors affecting prices in Toronto and this isn't the place to summarize them. I'm also well aware of New York's characteristics economically and demographically.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old April 12th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #177
Victoria123

OMB hearing on April 18th.
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL160431
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #178
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

If Toronto attains to NYC pricing, I fear it will soon thereafter experience NYC population hemorrhage.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #179
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 539

Toronto is booming, but it has a loooooooooong way to go to reach the real estate status of NYC. If it ever does reach such a state. And I dont think that is likely. Sure, Toronto has seen a lot of development over the past half decade, but to think that that means the growth will continue at such a rate into the 2020's is just silly. New York is the capital of the western hemisphere, if not the world. I dont see how Toronto can ever even approach such a status. Im not trying to demean Toronto. Toronto is a great city. Im just trying to advocate a more realistic outlook.

Oatmeal, nylkoorB, Manitopiaaa liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #180
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
I dont see how Toronto can ever even approach such a status. Im not trying to demean Toronto.
Except that's precisely what you're doing. Becoming expensive isn't something to aspire to but you might want to peruse this list which clearly shows a city doesn't have to be the self appointed 'capital of the world' to be expensive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p....html?image=19 New York is 8th and Toronto sized Singapore 30% more expensive than New York.

Can we get back to the proposal or aren't you quite done talking down to Toronto?

Victoria123 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 14th, 2017 at 07:39 PM.

Tags
one bloor west, the one, toronto