SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Forth Banks RESIDENTIAL Projects - East of Redheugh Bridge, Moorfield, Forge, former Cemex Site, etc | Newcastle | Various | U/C

105K views 420 replies 52 participants last post by  prostu2 
#1 ·
2014/1512/01/NOD | Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings. | Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2014/1512/01/NOD
Alternative Reference PP-03714751
Application Received Tue 07 Oct 2014
Application Validated Thu 09 Oct 2014
Address Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=ND2MLKBSFP700

'Two vacant warehouse buildings in dilapidated condition plus one fire damaged warehouse which represents a potential danger to the public.'

#2 ·
2014/1512/01/NOD | Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings. | Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne Reference 2014/1512/01/NOD Alternative Reference PP-03714751 Application Received Tue 07 Oct 2014 Application Validated Thu 09 Oct 2014 Address Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne Proposal Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings. Status Registered Decision Not Available https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=ND2MLKBSFP700 'Two vacant warehouse buildings in dilapidated condition plus one fire damaged warehouse which represents a potential danger to the public.'
About time these come down hopefully something will spring up soon on this site

#3 ·
2014/1512/01/NOD | Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings. | Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne, pictures 14/10/14

The 2 warehouse buildings as pictured by myself Tuesday 14/10/14 approx 1100

Also one of the signs giving proposed start date as 05/01/15

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#6 ·
hopefully this is a sign that the much heralded private sector is now willing to invest in Newcastle and the north east, I hope its not just another money printing student accommodation block by absent landlords not that investment in Newcastle is not welcome but we could with something that generates quality jobs. fingers crossed. cheers.

#12 ·
Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings - Forth Banks

Decision Notice issued by Newcastle City Council - 6th November 2014:

The prior approval of details of the method of proposed demolition and any restoration of the site is not required. Therefore the information supplied in the notification is sufficient and demolition may proceed.

#13 ·
2014/1512/01/NOD | Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings. | Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2014/1512/01/NOD
Alternative Reference PP-03714751
Application Received Tue 07 Oct 2014
Application Validated Thu 09 Oct 2014
Address Forth Banks Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Notification of Demolition: Demolition of 2 no vacant unlisted buildings.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=ND2MLKBSFP700

'Two vacant warehouse buildings in dilapidated condition plus one fire damaged warehouse which represents a potential danger to the public.'
there is a screening opinion for this site on Newcastle planning, week beginning 17/11/2014 for demolition and erection of 3 apartment blocks, 7-8-9 storey

#14 ·
Land At Forth Banks/Pottery Lane

14/00608/SCR | Screening opinion for the demolition of existing buildings and erection of residential development | Land At Forth Banks/Pottery Lane Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 14/00608/SCR
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Fri 21 Nov 2014
Application Validated Fri 21 Nov 2014
Address Land At Forth Banks/Pottery Lane Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Screening opinion for the demolition of existing buildings and erection of residential development
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NFN6RABS00900

#22 ·
No balcony means student accom. Back in the 00's when in other cities proper residential apartments were being snapped up Newcastle struggled so I wouldn't image any being built anytime soon. NCC probably know this - hence the willingness to build student accom anywhere in the city centre.

#34 · (Edited)
this proposal looks like a really good development, I like the look of block 3 that faces the river, a slightly different design to the other two blocks with the balconies facing the Tyne. I would like to see the council push on with bringing skinnerburn road to its proposed status as a premier route in the one core master plan and bring developers in to push the riverside development westwards . this is a good start . cheers.

#37 ·
Looks pretty good. But 280 apartments and no car parking at all bar 4 spaces. For all the puff about agreeing early on with the planners not to provide any so as to promote a cycle and pedestrian friendly environment, I suspect this may limit the appeal of what will presumably be fairly expensive units. I'm guessing season tickets in the new car park opposite on Forth Bank will add substantially to the cost of living there.

#38 ·
Now this is one hell of a brilliant proposal. Proper actual residential back on the quayside, and re populating forth banks back as part of our city once again. The scale is both ambitious and satisfying for the area and the design has clearly understood context and place making. A credit to the architects is due.

Maybe they could take a look at St. James car park site?

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
What saddens me is that Newcastle used to have great local architects, but SQ and this were completed by architects elsewhere and are generally good while that cr*p at the bottom of Forth banks and hanover square were by locals.

It seems that any good quality newcastle based practices have to fight it out on a national stage for high profile work around the UK, whereas local development is chucked around by the smaller practices that sometimes don't seem to know that they are doing.

Back to the subject, I really hope this development can kick start a greater regeneration of all land West of forth banks and Calders yard. I can see a mixed use overall urban development dynamically related to the bridges above and topography at its base. This could then slowly transgress to townhouses and family streets all providing opportunities for people to live pleasantly near the city centre so we may have to dig up the countryside to built godawful antisocial pantomime of the past suburban houses a little less.

Pottery lane and the stepped link could create a spine for the development, perpendicular to other accesses back up to the city. It would be really nice if we could have a head to this spine at SQ with a metro station at the end of the QE 2 bridge. Although it is close to central, so what? The point is if it will actually get some footfall, which it would. It would also allow the future developments to be more urban by reducing the need to provide space killing and profit gobbling car parking.

I think I may be getting ahead if myself here

#44 ·
a metro station at the end of Q E bridge with in the S Q is an excellent idea and there would be room for stations platforms as Stamford's photo DSCN 6602 on the S Q proves. a metro station could prove to be a huge driver for further developments along the western quayside. the lack of parking space on this development (only 4 disabled bays provided) for 280 apartments could prove to be a thorny issue for buyers of these apartments. cheers

#47 ·
The properties on Pottery Lane, pictures 17/03/15

These pictures taken by myself on Tuesday 17/03/15 approx 1200 showing the properties on Pottery Lane at that time

First a scanned copy of Google Maps image showing the area to the west of Forth Banks

17/03/15

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#50 ·
Newcastle has some great architecture practices. I reckon it punches above it's weight on that front. As I'm sure you know, poor design/quality is often down to a poor client (sometimes employing a poorer design team as they're cheaper).

Either way, I like the look of the proposal, although I hope the infill sections between the brick isn't cheap coloured/painted render. And time will tell what the ground floor use will be as I can't imagine a large and busy restaurant working there (but I'll be over the moon if it does).

#51 ·
Newcastle has some great architecture practices. I reckon it punches above it's weight on that front. As I'm sure you know, poor design/quality is often down to a poor client (sometimes employing a poorer design team as they're cheaper).
I am only too aware!

However, sometimes, you cannot help but blame the architect for just being poo.

I know the developer for Forth Tower and Bonded Warehouses was financially cruel and so the Architect was probably tied (I blame the planners for letting such uninspiring design through) so, admonished there!

However, take Newgate Street. I cannot believe all those horrendous finishes and colours were insisted upon by the client, ditto for Tyne Tees site, Hanover Square etc.

Architects are like any other profession, they are both good and bad. But ultimately the blame is on NCC for being unnecessarily harsh (on any previous tall building proposal) and then incredibly lenient.

My practice was joking the other day that Planners are like Premiership referees. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are shocking. We can live with that, but whats most important is some blooming consistency!