daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #21
Diamantino Diamante

Likes (Received): 51

It is almost surreal.
Diamantino Diamante no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #22
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2879

I like!

Wust El Balad liked this post
Ashok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #23
East37thStreet
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Helwa Helwa

Sukran

East37thStreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #24
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Likes (Received): 6540

Too much confusion about the financial aspect of the project. Many numbers and many confusion about the total amount. In a couple of days-weeks things will get clearer.
Wust El Balad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #25
Sevillano47

Likes (Received): 383

Who will buy this luxury flats ???
Sevillano47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #26
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

There will be a voting process to find out the name of the city. http://www.masrawy.com/News/News_Egy...campaign=7koma
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #27
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Actor: New administrative capital for rich only

Quote:
Actor Mohamed Sobhy, chairman of the Ma’an for Developing Slums Foundation, described the Egypt Economic Development Conference (EEDC) as ‘brilliant’, adding that “the new administrative capital will be inhabited by the rich only.”

In a phone call with a talk show on the privately-owned TV channel Ten on Monday, Sobhy said that Prime Minister Ibrahim Mehleb offered the foundation land to establish a city to resolve the slum problem. This new city will have 5,300 housing units, a hospital, a mall, a cinema, a theater and an Al-Azhar institute for languages.

According to Sobhy, Egypt has approximately 1,221 shanty towns in which 25 million Egyptians are living. Of those slums, 380 of them are considered unsafe.

Sobhy added that the foundation has studied development projects implemented in slums in Brazil and Mexico.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #28
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevillano47 View Post
Who will buy this luxury flats ???
Hard to predict, it will only be diversified if the new capital provides jobs to all social groups in Egypt.
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #29
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

What can $300 billion buy in Egypt? A new capital or a pipedream

Quote:
(Reuters)

Its new capital is eventually designed to cover some 700 sq km (435 sq miles), roughly the size of Singapore, contain 1.1 million homes and create 1.75 million jobs, according to its promotional website. (www.thecapitalcairo.com)

It will also cost some $300 billion to complete, according to Mohamed Alabbar, the United Arab Emirates real estate tycoon who helped develop the Burj Khalifa skyscraper in Dubai and who is leading the mega Egyptian venture.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...Name=worldNews

So apparently the true cost of the city will be around $300Bn

BenjaminEli liked this post
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #30
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Egypt's 1m-unit housing project to begin soon – Arabtec

Quote:
Dubai – Mubasher: Arabtec Holding announced on Thursday that it will go forward with its 1 million-unit housing project in Egypt and that it is finalising the terms with the government.

The “strategic” project is expected to result in rewarding returns for the company and its shareholders and investors, Arabtec said in a filing to the Dubai Financial Market (DFM), confirming news that it is in the final stages of reaching a deal with the Egyptian government.

“The delay in the announcement is due to both parties seeking the best possible results and agreeing on the details of all aspects relating to the project,” the filing added.

The first phase of the project will be executed within a month and investments will reach EGP 20 billion ($2.6 billion), Egyptian housing minister Mostafa Madbouli previously said.

Arabtec’s capital amounts to AED 4.4 billion divided on 4.4 billion shares at par value of AED 1 per share.
http://english.mubasher.info/EGX/new...c#.VQsW4VOG_LI

BenjaminEli liked this post
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #31
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Egypt’s economy Thinking big

Quote:
THE pharaohs of ancient Egypt occasionally moved their capitals, building grand new cities as monuments to their egos. So in pharaonic style, Egypt’s strongman, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, has decided to build a grand new capital in the desert.

The “capital Cairo” plan is one of several mega-projects that Mr Sisi hopes will attract foreign investment, stimulate an economic recovery and re-establish pride in his country after years of upheaval that destroyed the economy. It is Keynesianism on steroids—funded mostly by rich Gulf states. But though some investors have welcomed the big plans, top-down schemes have failed Egypt before and may distract the government from the dull and difficult work of restructuring a sluggish economy and hidebound bureaucracy.

The new city would ease congestion in Cairo, the population of which is expected to more than double to 40m by 2050. Due to be located 45km (28 miles) east of Cairo, and become home to 5m residents, it would also act as a bridge to a planned manufacturing zone along the Suez Canal, which is to get a second channel under a separate mega-project. “There is a clear case for building residential and office space in that corridor,” says Simon Kitchen of EFG Hermes, an investment bank.

But the $45 billion project is also full of extravagant ideas, like a green space twice the size of Central Park in New York and an amusement park four times the size of Disneyland. The centre will feature soaring skyscrapers and a structure best described as the metallic offspring of the Eiffel Tower and Washington Monument. In many ways it will look like Dubai, which has more than ten times Egypt’s GDP per head. The project is led by Muhammad al-Abbar, the developer responsible for Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.

There are signs that Mr Sisi is not learning from the mistakes of past leaders, who also relied on big projects to solve the country’s demographic and economic problems, with disastrous results. Egypt’s desert is dotted with quixotic cities established by presidential decree. The most notorious of these is Toshka, in the Western Desert, which Hosni Mubarak, the former president, hoped to make the centrepiece of a lush new valley using water pumped from Lake Nasser. Today it remains mostly desert, because of poor planning and inept leadership, but Mr Sisi wants to revive the project and pour money into other badly planned cities.

The biggest worry is that the mega-projects will distract the government from broader structural reforms. Mr Sisi has made progress in this area, cutting fuel subsidies, reducing the budget deficit and making investment easier. Much work remains. The bloated and inefficient bureaucracy makes life miserable for firms. It eats up a large portion of the budget, more of which should go to education, health and research. Egypt comes 119th in the World Economic Forum’s global-competitiveness index.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle...s-thinking-big

Excellent analysis.
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #32
Skyscraper-mann

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wust El Balad View Post
I don't know if you guys care about a foreigner's point of view, but just in case, here's mine:

I should admit that I don't know your country that much, never been there, so, don't blame me for something I would miss.

There's a lot to say, but let me focus on what helps a country developed and rise it's populations standards of living, there are mainly two things to consider; education/higher education/reseach and developpment and of course, solid and diversified industrial tissu.

The moves by your Sisi (cutting in gouvernment's subsidies to oil, etc.) are who knows, so much important, some steps to begin with, but if you don't invest in high skills, and pushing Small and Middle companies toward investment in research and development to gain in competitivness, all these steps would be good, but wouldn't change anything for most of egyptian citizens.

The investment should come mainly from the private sector, the gouvernment should only regulate it and make easier for companies.

Anyway, good luck and don't miss your chance this time, you egyptians.

Sincerly.

PS: I'm a morrocan citizen, living in France, I work as an engineer for a german firm, my daily job is to diminish production costs, improve productivity, and meet delivery deadlines, regardless of any production issue, and there are many.

Skyscraper-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:50 AM   #33
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper-mann View Post
I don't know if you guys care about a foreigner's point of view, but just in case, here's mine:
Please go ahead, you're welcome!

Quote:
I should admit that I don't know your country that much, never been there, so, don't blame me for something I would miss.
Most urban problems are usually redondants so no problem there

Quote:
There's a lot to say, but let me focus on what helps a country developed and rise it's populations standards of living, there are mainly two things to consider; education/higher education/reseach and developpment and of course, solid and diversified industrial tissu.
No doubt. A liberal education in a country such as Egypt is well needed!

Quote:
The moves by your Sisi (cutting in gouvernment's subsidies to oil, etc.) are who knows, so much important, some steps to begin with, but if you don't invest in high skills, and pushing Small and Middle companies toward investment in research and development to gain in competitivness, all these steps would be good, but wouldn't change anything for most of egyptian citizens.
That's true which is why i kinda criticized the projet for not taking into note the Smart city concept and education. Egypt really needs the use of modern technology in education (one of our biggest lacks so far).

Quote:
The investment should come mainly from the private sector, the gouvernment should only regulate it and make easier for companies.
So far the energy market of Egypt has been liberalized giving huge opportunity of investment:
Quote:
Solar developers flocking to Egypt
An increasing number of international developers are investing billions in solar projects in the country, including three Saudi-led projects aiming to construct 5.5 GW of PV capacity across the country.

Foreign investment in Egypt’s burgeoning solar sector is ramping up with a slew of international companies announcing, financing, developing and building projects in the country.

In its recently published report, Egypt’s Solar Energy Market: FiT Program and Beyond 2015, the Egypt Solar Industry Association (Egypt-SIA) has listed eight major current projects in various stages of development. Among them, Saudi Arabian business conglomerate Fawaz Alhokair Group plans to invest $3.5 billion to develop 2 GW of solar power capacity across the country. The Terra Sola Consortium likewise plans to invest the same amount to also build 2 GW of PV plants in Egypt.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2015/sola...to-egypt-81708

Quote:
Anyway, good luck and don't miss your chance this time, you egyptians. Sincerely
Greetings my friend!

Quote:
PS: I'm a morrocan citizen, living in France, I work as an engineer for a german firm, my daily job is to diminish production costs, improve productivity, and meet delivery deadlines, regardless of any production issue, and there are many.
Looks intriguing! What kind of studies you did if i may ask? First time i hear about such job and it sounds really cool!

I'm a urban planning student by the way

JustWatch liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:01 PM   #34
Skyscraper-mann

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wust El Balad View Post

Looks intriguing! What kind of studies you did if i may ask? First time i hear about such job and it sounds really cool!

I'm a urban planning student by the way
I studied industrial engineering in France, which includes some subspecialities such as Supply-Chain management, Quality Control, manufacturing process management, inventory optimization, Operations management, and Lean Management/Manufacturing/Engineering.

The latest one (also referred to as Kaizen, japanese for "continuous improving") is my today's full time job, its quiet cool actually and god knows how important it is for manufacturing industries, but unfortunately, it's less known than other major engineering specialities.

Skyscraper-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #35
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Downtown cairo's stunning renovation

Though for some time now, Downtown Cairo has largely been ignored and left to deteriorate, recently,
the iconic area has been in the process of getting a revamp in an effort to return it to its former glory...

If you've been in Downtown Cairo recently you should have noticed something striking. The streets clean and spacious; the topography shining, painted and restored to their former Parisian glory; and the other half of the buildings look like a scene from The Lego Movie as hundreds of construction workers make decades of decay vanish revealing Downtown's Khedivial varnish.

Whilst a lot of the refurbishings are taking place courtesy of new efforts from the Governate as part of the updated grandeur of the "Strategic Development Plan for Greater Cairo Region 2050", there's also the first and only private real estate developer Al Ismaelia who are looking to profit from the rejuvenation of Downtown Cairo. "The project is designed to revitalise the center of the capital city through preserving the architectural grandeur of Downtown while celebrating Cairo’s dynamic urban fabric," Moushira Adel, Al Ismaelia's marketing manager told us, "We believe that in order to achieve this vision, the private sector should work hand in hand with the government, so Beltone Private Equity, the mother company of Al Ismaelia, has initiated the project along with some high profile Saudi and Egyptians shareholders."

It's cultural gentrification too, that the Al Ismaelia group are hoping will boost more interest in their acquired properties. For the last two years they've given a helping hand to D-CAF (Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival), renovating buildings for new platforms to host independent arts. They've also completely revamped the legendary Cinema Radio which will host the 'Abla Fahita' show set to air this week and are currently working on unique pedestrian spots such as the Kodak Passageway and will soon launch a one-of-a-kind mega market place, buzzing with food stalls, music and art.

"The biggest challenge is the absence of a clear-cut vision from the government and the mediocrity of the state institutions that are supposed to be presiding over this area," says Adel, "However, we see that the spirit is changing and we hope that the coming weeks and months will mark a new approach to developing downtown as well as other historic areas." With an invested capital of EGP 563 million, Al Ismaelia currently owns around 20 buildings in Downtown Cairo hoping to attract a range of residential and commercial tenants which will appeal to all segments of Egyptian society.

For everyone who has ever stood on Talaat Harb, tilted their head and said "what a shame..." and "if only...", these projects truly capture the imagination.

Source: http://www.cairoscene.com/ViewArticl...ing-Renovation
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #36
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20190

great news!!

because it was really sad see all that heritage abandoned!!

they shouldn't only restore the buildings, they should also make some urban interventions

el palmesano está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #37
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by el palmesano View Post

great news!!

because it was really sad see all that heritage abandoned!!

they shouldn't only restore the buildings, they should also make some urban interventions
We are. Cairo governor has taken the decision to ban car parking in Talaat harb street as part of a project aimed to solve the traffic issue in the downtown

Le gouvernorat du Caire interdit de garer les véhicules dans la rue Talaat Harb

http://bonjouregypte.com/ArticleDeta...ticleID=193125
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #38
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

Liverpool company wins deal to work on £30bn new capital city project in Egypt

Quote:

A Liverpool company has won a deal to work on an amazing project for a new capital city in Egypt.

Creative firm Uniform makes beautiful visualisation films for schemes across the world.

London's video:

It has now secured a contract to produce a short film explaining a massive project to regenerate Egypt’s capital city Cairo.

Laurie Jones, creative director at Uniform, said: “Cairo’s population will double by 2040 and we’re working with master planners SOM to bring a proposed £30bn new capital city to life.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...l-work-9028776
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #39
Wust El Balad
17-04-17

UAE inks initial deal to build 50.000 units in Egypt's new capital

Quote:
Egypt and UAE have reached an initial agreement to start building around 50.000 units in the Egyptian new administrative capital project, housing minister Moustafa Madbouly announced Saturday.

The units will be implemented by Abu Dhabi-based Eagle Hills in three years, at spaces ranging between 55, 90, 120, 130 and 180 metres to include all housing levels and patterns.

Madbouli added that the Emirati side has addressed the Egyptian Federation for Construction and Building Contractors (EFCBC) as regards to the Egyptian construction firms' participation in carrying out the 50.000 units.

Within days, the first step to execute the new capital project shall start, the minister noted. The first phase will include entering the water lines, at capacity of 100.000sqm to serve the construction works, and then the residential units. This line aims to serve a total number of 500.000 inhabitants. It shall be executed within three months.
http://www.el-balad.com/1493542
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:25 AM   #40
zkydzy

Likes (Received): 17

zkydzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote