daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

Lübeck Altstadt - Germany

It is one of the most beautiful Altstadt in Germany and it is still ell preserved!!

[IMG]http://images.*****************/bilder/schleswig-holstein/luebeck/luebecker-altstadt-000e72cb-0db7-41b0-9d39-8c16304849ff.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #2
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

The streets of Lübeck (II) by dididumm, on Flickr

Lübeck by luzzzelmann, on Flickr

Lübeck. Alemania. Germany by juanito1948., on Flickr

erbse, Titus-Pullo, Chadoh25, Rombi, Jozef77 and 2 others liked this post
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #3
MarcelMarceau

Likes (Received): 25

nice pictures

Last edited by MarcelMarceau; April 5th, 2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: equivocacion
MarcelMarceau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #4
MarcelMarceau

Likes (Received): 25

Unfortunately even though the city is well preserved, the heart of the city, aka the marktplatz is very ugly. The only preserved building is the Rathaus, the rest is ugly low quality post-war low buildings On one side there is a new metallic department store but it is also very ugly, it replaced a half-way decent post-war building (the only one). It is truly a shame, IMO this city deserves a better marktplatz. I wonder if they are planning to remedy this situation like in Frankfurt or Dresden?

image hosted on flickr

and the rathaus:

sources: flickr and kubische-panoramen.de
the way it was before the war:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...BCbeck_RRD.jpg
source: wikipedia

Last edited by MarcelMarceau; April 5th, 2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: error
MarcelMarceau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #5
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3490

Perfect! Luebeck is located on the eastern seaboard. Thank you very much for this Thread!

Is there a way to re-name the thread to new reconstruction? Or something like that? There is a reconstruction of three entire streets in planning! The difference to other projects in Germany is the Gothic style.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #6
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Perfect! Luebeck is located on the eastern seaboard. Thank you very much for this Thread!

Is there a way to re-name the thread to new reconstruction? Or something like that? There is a reconstruction of three entire streets in planning! The difference to other projects in Germany is the Gothic style.
Thats sounds like something very intresting Please, can you give us a link so I and probably more wants to know more
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

I am not sure a full reconstruction is planned. It is difficult to find information, but in the brochure I read:
Quote:
Ziel ist es, nicht die historische Altstadt zu rekonstruieren, sondern vielmehr eine ad- äquate Antwort für das Bauvorhaben unter Berücksichtigung der vorhandenen Struk- turen und ihrer Gesetzmäßigkeiten zu finden.
Not a reconstruction, but modern houses with a 'nod' to what used to be there. This is also the image I get from the contest entries and the reference to the 'Gabler Haus' which is listed as an example.

I am unfortunately not yet allowed to post links, but searches for 'Gründungsviertel' will give you the pages and images I found. The contest results (wettbewerb) ar on baunetz.
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #8
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57879

It's the "Gründungsviertel" of Lübeck that will be built from scratch basically. Really good historicising/classical designs were proposed by various architects; but also reconstructions are possible for builder-owners. I'll introduce you to the project soon.

For now, you can check Google Images for the competition entries and some historical views.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

AngelOscuro liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #9
erbse
LIBERTINED

The general scheme für the "Founder's Quarter" (Gründungsquartier) of Lübeck is based on the idea, that the World Heritage designated old town is extended over this quarter. With intimate courtyards, mixed uses, a very dense structure, only one investor for a house per street... A real old town quarter. Much like the structure that made such quarters possible in the first place. Investors/builders can decide for the designs of the competition they want, or even go for a pre-war building reconstruction if they choose to.

Before, the area occupied by rather bland post-war buildings (the pre-war houses there were hit by Allied bombing in WW2):

After, a dense old town neighbourhood again:

Source: Urban masterplan by Petersen Pörksen Partner Architects, http://www.ppp-architekten.de/index....2ID=20&iid=217

Here's a video doc about the project, even if you don't understand German you'll get to see some things: http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendunge...hmag32136.html

Old April 9th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #10
The Eagle

Whats so exciting about this is the special "Hanse" style mixed out of Gothic
The only Gothic construction I know of in the country.

The other reconstructions in the country use different styles like
Dresden: Baroque, Renaissance, Classicism, Bauhaus, Heimat style
Potsdam: Baroque, Classicism
Frankfurt: Renaissance and other mix
Luebeck: Gothic and neo Gothic.
So, I like this. It`s different.

keepthepast, Rombi, AngelOscuro liked this post
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #11
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

I would also like to see an abundant use of red brick for exterior finishes. The Hanseatic red brick heritage is not only great looking, but historic in its own right as a building material.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #12
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Are they reconstructing it, or designing new buildings in a historical style?
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #13
erbse
LIBERTINED

Like I said in #8:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
It's the "Gründungsviertel" of Lübeck that will be built from scratch basically. Really good historicising/classical designs were proposed by various architects; but also reconstructions are possible for builder-owners.
When we get more definite proposals by single investors, I'll introduce them more thoroughly. For now you can check some of the proposed ideas here.

Old April 15th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #14
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

That's very good news. I love Lübeck.

St. Marien's is a magnificent cathedral - the nave is stunning.

https://dokuwiki.noctrl.edu/lib/exe/...10:spr:lm3.jpg

http://www.historia.ro/sites/default...enkirche01.jpg

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

erbse, Jozef77, Roy Corduroy liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Like I said in #8:

When we get more definite proposals by single investors, I'll introduce them more thoroughly. For now you can check some of the proposed ideas here.
Possible, yes. But the overal impression I get is that most proposals consist of new buildings with only a reference to history, like these:

Or even just a nod, like these:

Granted, it's better than what used to be there, and some actually look quite nice, but I wouldn't call it a reconstruction and I have my doubts regarding how the 'viertel' as a whole will look.

Of course, I hope I will be pleasantly surprised, but for now I'm sceptical .
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #16
erbse
LIBERTINED

There's a reason to be sceptical indeed. Because nothing is decided yet. It's all up to the people who buy construction lots there. They'll decide which contemporary designs will get built or what building they'd like to reconstruct.

I love that concept though, even if it's vague at the moment. From what I heard a lot of deeply rooted Lübeckers (even from abroad) are very interested, so there's chances we get to see good local architecture and rebuildings.

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #17
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelMarceau View Post
Unfortunately even though the city is well preserved, the heart of the city, aka the marktplatz is very ugly. The only preserved building is the Rathaus, the rest is ugly low quality post-war low buildings On one side there is a new metallic department store but it is also very ugly, it replaced a half-way decent post-war building (the only one). It is truly a shame, IMO this city deserves a better marktplatz. I wonder if they are planning to remedy this situation like in Frankfurt or Dresden?
This is a photograph of the Marktplatz from 1871. The four buildings next to the Rathaus look like typical 18th or early 19th century architecture. Apparently many people back then felt that even these were not good enough. They kind of had a point.

http://de.wikipedia.org

Here is a proposed plan from around 1900 to replace one of them with something more suitable. It looks like there were more buildings proposed but I could not find any further information.

http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berlin.de/

There were many other architects from the time that offered plans that respected the existing Gothic brick style of Lübeck.

http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berlin.de/

TimothyR, Mruczek, erbse, keepthepast, Fudgis and 4 others liked this post
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #18
erbse
LIBERTINED

Excellent! These designs could very well be used for contemporary buildings.

In fact, there's loads and loads of 19th century concepts that were never built, but would create true marvels for our cities. I'm all for experimenting with that kind of stuff a little, copyrights have expired anyway.
We even have a thread for classical visions/never built designs.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:16 PM   #19
The Eagle

How is everybody?

In the next couple of years, we will explore the very well kept town of Luebeck. Luebeck is starting to rebuild a area that was destroyed during WW2. After the war people moved into the suburbs. The free space was used for a large highschool.

In the 70`s the city (located on the eastern seaboard of Germany, but in West-Germany close the border) was ashamed of its old heritage. The town planned to replace large areas for modern houses. Stubborn residents and the announcement of putting the altstadt (pre 1800 core) under World heritage protection saved many buildings.

The city is completely different of places like Dresden, Frankfurt or Potsdam. Everything is different. The Architecture of course, the people, landscape, history, type of economy or the whether. The city has also much older buildings. While Dresden has buildings from the 1700`s or so, Luebeck has many buildings 1000 years old. The owners just changed what was needed. The economy left the biggest mark, because of the way houses where used and the good times, when houses where build under local and international trend as well under bad times, that preserved houses, because owners had no money to remove or renovate their homes and businesses!

Luebeck has a very, very large historical center. Behind the front rows, used to be gardens. beginning around 1800 the backyards where overbuild for the growing population with cheap timberframe houses. Before the defensive town walls came down to make the town bigger like it was trend around 1850`s. London and Hamburg used to have 1000`s of those slam dwelling hallways. Luebeck is the only place, where those undesirable narrow very narrow places have survived. The streets are so narrow, that they are called "Gang" witch comes from German "gehen" or going in English. The Gaenge in Luebeck are basically translated in Walkways or Hallways. There are 100 of them in Luebeck. Luebeck has similar history with Brugge in Belgium. Bruegge is bigger then Luebeck.

This happened on the 3rd September 2015. The whole city has one of many project meetings.

It`s about this area

Photos from APH member frank 1204

Last edited by The Eagle; June 23rd, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #20
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Nice news, there are any renders?

Tags
germany, lübeck