daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2005, 01:50 AM   #21
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

WoW... so what main attractions does Disneyland Hong Kong have?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:03 AM   #22
Koi

Likes (Received): 3

That photo of Disney Studios Paris look so bleak. No wonder they are losing money. I think the weather is a very important issue when siting a theme park. Who would want to go to a theme park when its wet and cold, unless more rides are based indoors. The HK Disney need to attract the tourists with good original rides, if it is to succeed. The park is within 5 hours flight of half the world's population, so the potential is there.
Koi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #23
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

If you mean BIG ATTRACTIONS, then there are jungle cruise, Lion Kong Show, Space mountain.

There are many smaller rides at the 3 themed sections, click on the links to seee them:
Adventureland

Fantasyland

Tomorrowland

Last edited by philip; February 21st, 2005 at 02:11 AM.
philip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:55 AM   #24
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3633

I hope they have my favorite, Mrs Teapot spin.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:20 AM   #25
raymond_tung88

Disneyland Hong Kong doesn't have Frontierland and Mickey's Toontown Fair? Hmm... why not?
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM   #26
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi
That photo of Disney Studios Paris look so bleak. No wonder they are losing money. I think the weather is a very important issue when siting a theme park. Who would want to go to a theme park when its wet and cold, unless more rides are based indoors. The HK Disney need to attract the tourists with good original rides, if it is to succeed. The park is within 5 hours flight of half the world's population, so the potential is there.
Who would want to go to a theme park when it's wet and cold? About 25 million people who visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea every year.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #27
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

It ould only be hot and humid, very unlike Paris.
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #28
philip
The Picture Guy

Weather does play a role in park attendance. However, Tokyo Disneyland, dispite being cold and wet and even SNOWY in the winter, has been the most visited theme park in the world for the last 5 years.

The main difference that sets Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris apart is local culture. Japanese love Mickey Mouse and opened their arms to welcome everything Disney, whereas the French treated Disneyland as an invasion by American Culture. Back in the 1990s when they announced plans to build the park, the French protested and even threw eggs at Disney Officials. And I am not making this up, the video was made into an educational material shown at university business schools.

Ever seen Snow at a Disney Park? Here is Tokyo Disneyland:

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM   #29
Rachmaninov

Well... we have tornadoes hahaha
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

The Hong Kong park will be much different from the other Disney parks because much of the queueing will take place inside air-conditioned areas due to Hong Kong's hot and humid summers.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #31
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Likes (Received): 7107

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The Hong Kong park will be much different from the other Disney parks because much of the queueing will take place inside air-conditioned areas due to Hong Kong's hot and humid summers.
Florida weather is hot and humid most of the year. They've learnt alot from the other Disney parks and it is nice to hear that queueing areas will be air-conditioned.

Here are some of refreshing stations found in the Florida parks to survive the heat

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Don Pacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:19 AM   #32
Rachmaninov

I'm not sure but I think Hong Kong's weather is harder to bear
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #33
raymond_tung88

kewl!!! Disneyland Tokyo is open ALL year long?
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #34
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

^also, Hong Kong is planning to build Six Flags or Universal Studios near Disneyland (in the picture's Right Top Corner where it says "Sunny Bay Tourism Node").
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????

Last edited by bs_lover_boy; February 25th, 2005 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #35
Rachmaninov

What?????!!
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #36
raymond_tung88

OK... I don't think that piece of land is large enough to build a large-scale amusement park such as Universal Studios or Six Flags... besides, I think it'll be a while before Hong Kong considers another amusement park. Let's just see how good Disneyland is first...

btw... I thought Shanghai was getting a UNiversal Studios, but then I also heard they cancelled that idea and Disney was in talks about building another park there... anyone know?
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #37
madushan_11
Benzoyl

Likes (Received): 0

nice pics..
madushan_11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #38
philip
The Picture Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond_tung88
OK... I don't think that piece of land is large enough to build a large-scale amusement park such as Universal Studios or Six Flags... besides, I think it'll be a while before Hong Kong considers another amusement park. Let's just see how good Disneyland is first...

btw... I thought Shanghai was getting a UNiversal Studios, but then I also heard they cancelled that idea and Disney was in talks about building another park there... anyone know?
All the rumors are true, according to a Hong Kong press, Hong Kong officials DID talk to Universal Studios about opening a park near Disneyland. They said they want a different park to satisfy a more matured (age 16+) group of customers. They also were "Considering" building a Six Flags park if Universal is not interested.

Disney DID consider building a park in Beijin, but they were just thinking about it. The final decision is to open the Hong Kong Park first, and they said a mainland park will not open before 2010. Shanghai DID talk to Universal about building a park in time for the Shanghai World Expo in 2010, but the plan was later canceled. And shortly after that, Disney said they were "Considering" building a park in Shanghai instead of Beijin, but like the previous rumors, nothing is set and everyone was just "Thinking About it."

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #39
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Tenders invited for operation of "Central - Hong Kong Disneyland " licensed ferry service
Thursday, February 24, 2005
Government Press Release

The Transport Department is inviting interested parties to submit tenders for the operation of a "Central - Hong Kong Disneyland" licensed ferry service.

As part of the public transport provision plan for the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, the Government intends to provide a ferry service between Central and Hong Kong Disneyland.

A notice on the tender invitation will be published in the Government Gazette tomorrow (February 25). Tenders must be sealed and clearly marked with the tender reference and the subject of the tender on an envelope addressed to the Commissioner for Transport and placed in the Transport Department Tender Box situated next to the reception counter of Transport Department on 41/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong, before 12 noon on Tuesday, March 29, 2005. Late submissions will not be accepted.

Interested parties may obtain the tender documents starting from next Monday (February 28) during office hours at the Ferry and Paratransit Division of the Transport Department at Room 4036, 40/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #40
raymond_tung88

WOW!!! Hong Kong is MAY get a Universal Studios theme park? Personally, I think a Universal Studios would be better in another Chinese city. Too bad the plans for one in Shanghai were cancelled...