daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM   #161
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 23640

Here are some of my Flight simulator 2004. adventures! CA A320-214 around LDZA Zagreb,Pleso. Hope you enjoy these pics!

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #162
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

great stuff MB, great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildaniele
Why is everyone so focused on tourism? You seem to forget about Zagreb as a possible transfer hub. So why shouldn't people from Athens, Bukarest, Sofia, Belgrade, Skopie and even Budapest use Zagreb as a stopover to oversees. As far as I think this is the way to make money! This is not a new idea. All these Croatian d**ba***s have to do is copy e.g. from Czech Airlines...however even for this they seem to be incapable...Fortunately they are not alone in the region.
I'm not focused on tourism, I already pointed this out, most of the traffic on most major international airports is not tourist but business related activity such as business travellers and transfers...

For Airline to make money they need tourist, this is completely different matter, most airlines do ok as they are, but considering how badly CA was thought out and how poorly they utilise there aircraft and fleet it is perhaps no wonder they prefer to use tourism as vehicle of there own progress or stability (staying afloat)... Who ever runs CA has poor knowledge of managements and airline business, for example If I where to run CA I would have fleet of 30-32 Aircrafts, 10A320, 15A319, 5ATR72 and on order 2B787 100.

During summer I would put all A320's on charter service to bring as many tourist, whilst A319 would continue there scheduled traffic, CA would fly to about 50-55 Destinations in Europe and near East, Dubai, Cairo, Tel Aviv, Casablanca and almost every major EU city, in Russia I would fly to Skt. Petersburg and allow Aeroflot to cover Zagreb-Moscow route. All of ATR-72 would exclusively cover domestic traffic and regional Airports, Innsbruck, Graz, Venice, Bologna, Florence, Sarajevo, Skopje and Mostar. B787 100, when they enter service sometimes in 2010, I would use them to cover cities of New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Los Angeles and Toronto in NA and Buenos Aires in South America.. All this cities have more than 250 000 Croats in first, second or 3rd generation, untapped market awaiting to be utilised... Tokyo, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland and Perth in Oceania and Asia would be destination I would cover with these 2 aircraft.

AS strategic objective I would start up travel agencies which would be tightly connected with main CA operations, PR and advertising campaign would primarily be directed at targeting long hull destinations with support from HTZ in funds and technical and administrative support. Say in New York area I would advertise in New York Post, NewsDay and NY Times, make some sort of funny gimmicks connected with main cultural events I New York Area and invite local tourist organisations and business ppl working in travel industry to an annual event held with in confined of Croatian cultural centre in New York. I would also organise charity and sponsorship events, allow some of the underprivileged American students to study at Zagreb University or American University in Zagreb. Get TV and Radio Interviews, organise events which would educate Americans sorry New Yorkers about Croatia and so on, list goes on...

This is just example of many ideas I would implement and make sure they work in long term for airline...

What CA is doing lol, I better not bother saying, they are only on 12 Aircrafts of which one is leased from Lufthansa, arrrgh, what's the use...

Pleso Airport, can never play major role in transit market, it is to small and to insignificant to make this market work, anyways I can go much more deeper but ask me some other time when I feel like talking, right now gtg..

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion

Last edited by mic of Orion; November 27th, 2005 at 04:19 PM.
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #163
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

You´ve said it all,man!

Here is one interesting link. A bit outdated,but good anyway.

http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/f....com/airports/

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM   #164
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 102

I'm really surprised at how CA have limited their markets and capabilities.

There are almost no flights to Asia, US, etc.

For example there are no flights to Israel and yet Croatia is the second biggest tourism destination for Israelis. Second only to Turkey and this number is fast rising.

This year Croatia had 200,000 visitors from Israel. All of which pretty much arrived via air. There needs to be a flight to a major hub in Asia so that at least Croats and others from Australia can get connecting flights ....
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM   #165
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

They had flights to Tel Aviv! I don t know what happend with that!

Check out the new site!

http://www.croatiaairlines.hr/Default.aspx?tabid=295

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Old November 24th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #166
Coffee Stain

Likes (Received): 2

some great ideas by mic, it would be very interesting if you could post again with more depth. CA has so far finished almost every year with profits, and shows potential, but potential is not enough, much larger investment in greater long-haul,promotion,business travel etc is needed. i am posting some of my own CA future posibilities.....

1.Large Investment in size and modernisation of fleet.
-Replacing aging ATR planes with newer modern Regional Jets, for example the Bombardier CRJ.
-Adding at least 10-15 more each Airbus A319 and Airbus A320
-For long haul, B787 probably is the best option,however the 777-200LR and 747-8(advanced) should not be overlooked, especialy for possible east asian market.the other very strong market option is the north/south america routes, which have many 1-3rd generation croats who want an alternative to that dam frankfurt/munich(nothing against the germans )-zagreb switch over. ie (over 100,000 croats in toronto, being one, and knowing many, a zagreb-toronto route would never be empty, especialy in summer, where we have to book many months in advance to get a ticket)...this brings me to the next point.

2.A large increase in Destinations and Promotion
So far CA has 20-30 destinations(i mite be wrong), many more need to be added, croatian potential in luring not only more tourists, but many more business/investments thru air travel is huge. (nothing but big increase in foreign investments and new tourists this year).here is a rough list of destinations i would have for CA...
DOMESTIC
Zagreb,Split,Dubrovnik,Rijeka,Osijek,Zadar,Pula,Brac

EUROPE
AUSTRIA: Graz,Vienna,Innsbruck
BELARUS: Minsk
BELGIUM: Brussels
BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA: Sarajevo,Mostar,Tuzla
BULGARIA: Sofia
CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague
DENMARK: Copenhagen
ESTONIA: Tallinn
FINDLAND: Helsinki
FRANCE: Paris(Orleans/Charles de Gaulle),Lyon,Bordeaux,Strasbourg,Toulouse,Marseille
GERMANY: Frankfurt,Munich,Berlin,Dusseldorf,Hamburg,Dortmund,Cologne/Bonn,Hanover
GREECE: Athens,Thessaloniki
HUNGARY: Budapest
IRELAND: Dublin,Cork
ITALY: Roma,Milan,Venice
LATVIA: Riga
LITHUANIA: Vilinus
MACEDONIA: Skopje,Ohrid
MALTA: Malta
NETHERLANDS: Amsterdam
NORWAY: Oslo
POLAND: Katowice,Krakow,Warsaw
PORTUGAL: Lisbon,Porto
ROMANIA: Bucharest
RUSSIA: St.Petersburg,Moscow
SCOTLAND: Edinburgh
SERBIA: Belgrade,Nis
SLOVAKIA: Bratislava
SPAIN: Barcelona,Madrid
SWEDEN: Gothenburg,Stokholm
SWITZERLAND: Basel,Zurich,Geneva
UKRAINE: Kyiv,Dnipropetrovsk
ENGLAND: London(Heathrow/Gatwick),Manchester,Midland,Birmingham,Newcastle

NORTH AMERICA (many croatian descendants/immigrants in N.A and S.A)
CANADA: Toronto,Montreal
AMERICA: New York,Chicago,Cleveland,Pittsburgh,Seattle,Los Angeles

SOUTH AMERICA
ARGENTINA: Buenos Aires
CHILE: Santiago

AFRICA

EGYPT: Cairo
LIBYA: Tripoli
TUNISIA: Tunis
SOUTH AFRICA: Johanesburg,Cape Town (around 100.000+ croats in south africa)

ASIA (Big business/investment possibilities, oh and tourism, lots of potential tourism here as well)
CHINA: Beijing, Hong Kong,possibly Shanghai
JAPAN: Tokyo,Osaka
INDIA: Delhi
SINGAPORE: Singapore
MALAYSIA: Kuala Lumpur
INDONESIA: Jakarta
THAILAND: Bangkok
TURKEY: Istanbul
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Dubai, Abu Dhabi
SAUDI ARABIA: Riyadh
QATAR: Doha
LEBANON: Beirut
SYRIA: Damascus
KUWAIT: Kuwait
ISREAL: Tel Aviv (200,000 visitors from isreal this year!!)

OCEANIA
AUSTRALIA: Sydney,Melbourne (Many croats live in australia as well)

3.Upgrading CA to at least a 4 Star Airline, an elite airline in the world does much better than a medium size 3 star airline.

4.Do not rule out a possible CA Shipping division, shipping is another strong possibility for croatian Investmens, especialy with many new infastructure projects(Rijeka Port,Zagreb Airport,New Highways etc) look at Atlasnka Plovidba..successfull croatian shipping company.....

possibilities for CA to become a world wide competitive leader in civil aviation and possibly cargo are realistic and achievable
Coffee Stain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #167
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 102

LOL at the Frankfurt switch over.

I know what you mean. I have to fly direct from Sydney to Frankfurt for my connecting flight to Zagreb. How much better if they did a direct Sydney - Zagreb flight.

It would pay off as we too in Australia have to book months in advance for flights to Croatia during summer.

BTW I sent you a message.

Cheers
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #168
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Stain
some great ideas by mic, it would be very interesting if you could post again with more depth.
I'll try my best,

First of all I would reorganise CA network, I would keep turboprops as they are more efficient and new ATR72 500 are quite fast and reliable, make sure they only fly up to ranges of 500-550km at most or about hour of flight. 5ATR72 would fly to all regional destinations freeing A320's and 319's for other routes. I would try to improve connection between some Croatian Cities, Example Osijek - Dubrovnik, Osijek -Zadar, Split and so on would be well connected by at lest 2 flights per day, made sure all aircrafts are fully utilised this means 5 takes offs and 5 landings each day 364 days a year... Service intervals would be done so at no point I loose half of the fleet to service checks as this the case now with CA, all Aircraft would be assigned specific route and countries, I would increase flights to some of the most demanding routes and offer discount rates to passengers if they fly more than 3 times a month...

Marketing campaigned which would emphasise speed and connivance of air travel in Croatia, ppl still use buses to go places like Split or Osijek, yuck, being transported like cattle, I would reduce passenger tickets on all domestic routes so they are only 10-15% above train/bus ticket price but speed and convenience is what counts...

These are destinations I would fly worldwide, all other destinations wouldn't be feasible, due to the size of Croatian market and competition for destinations among major European Airlines, Financially wouldn't be prudent to fly example to India if there are no interest for this destination, let Air India fly to us, or Latvia, or any other destination...

For Sofia, Bucharest, Riga, I would invite there national airlines to cover this routes in exchange for 20-25% seats on there planes for CA... let them spend fuel and if it is profitable in longer term, yeah why not...

AUSTRIA: Vienna (Graz, Innsbruck - Regional Service)
BELGIUM: Brussels
BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA: Sarajevo, (Mostar regional Service)
CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague
DENMARK: Copenhagen
FINLAND: Helsinki
FRANCE: Paris (Charles de Gaulle), Lyon, Nice
GERMANY: Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, (charter - Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Stuttgart)
GREECE: Athens,
HUNGARY: Budapest
IRELAND: Dublin,
ITALY: Roma, Milan (Venice, Bologna, Florence, Trieste - regional Service)
MACEDONIA: Skopje, (regional service only - transfer in Zagreb for Europe and Intercn.)
NETHERLANDS: Amsterdam
NORWAY: Oslo
POLAND: ,Krakow, Warsaw
PORTUGAL: Lisbon
RUSSIA: St. Petersburg, Moscow (only with Aeroflot)
SERBIA: let JAT cover this route, but only after 2009...
SLOVAKIA: Bratislava
SPAIN: Barcelona, Madrid
SWEDEN: Gothenburg, Stockholm
SWITZERLAND: Zurich
UK: London (Heathrow/Gatwick), Manchester, (charter: Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow)
CANADA: Toronto,
USA: New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Los Angeles
ARGENTINA: Buenos Aires
CHILE: Santiago
SOUTH AFRICA: Cape Town (around 100.000+ Croats in South Africa)
CHINA: Shanghai
JAPAN: Tokyo, Osaka
SINGAPORE: Singapore (for Australian and far east flgihts -stop off)
TURKEY: Istanbul
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Dubai
ISRAEL: Tel Aviv (charter only if security situation improves) Invite El AL to Zagreb instead
AUSTRALIA & NZ: Sydney, Melbourne, Perth. Auckland

Domestic: Osijek, Zagreb, Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik, (in season: Brac, Losinj,)

total: 58 destinations, Charter: 7, Co-Op: 3. Domestic: 9

Fleet:
10 A320 230
15 A319 100
5 ATR72 500
2 B787 100
total: 32

total 3250 staff...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion

Last edited by mic of Orion; January 10th, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #169
Coffee Stain

Likes (Received): 2

Defenitley very well organised plan here, you have included a lot more aviation economics, which i have to brush up on a little ,my ideas were more rough, altho there are a few points that i have thought about... i have read about this in other forums and on other news...about cro aviation in general

1.What about completing a modernisation of pleso, but keeping it a more local/regional airport, and investing in a brand new much larger Zagreb Airport in a new location(this would help with the situation of the 600+ houses that need to be relocated) (i kind of based this idea from your idea of building a new stadium for Dinamo Zagreb in the Zagreb forums) i kno this would cost a lot of money, but with enough investments and promotion it could be a possibility.

2.Do you have any information about plans for other airline cariers such as qantas/air canada/any american airline that might have plans in the near future to do direct zagreb flights, i kno this has been mentioned recently.(i have tried to check air canada the most, as i live there, but i think they have had their own troubles recently, and have not recieved much of a reply/info from them to date)

3.as for airport modernisation, is there any concrete information on dubrovnik airport's plans to increase Cilipi, as this year so far has been very successful, even having British Airlines name that airport as one of its best partners.
Coffee Stain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #170
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

ATR72-500 is too small for domestic rutes (at least Zagreb,Split and Dubrovik). It holds only 70 passengers.
A319 holds about 140 passengers and if some 70% of it s filled,it s at least 100 people!

But everything else is great! I like the B787!

I just don t understand why this is not at least in their mid-term plans?

Are they all really stupid or we overlooked something?

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

Old November 25th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #171
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Quote:
Defenitley very well organised plan here, you have included a lot more aviation economics, which i have to brush up on a little ,my ideas were more rough, altho there are a few points that i have thought about... i have read about this in other forums and on other news...about cro aviation in general.
Cool, what other forums? Nice to know there're more forums where Croatian Airports are discussed, lol...

Quote:
1.What about completing a modernisation of pleso, but keeping it a more local/regional airport, and investing in a brand new much larger Zagreb Airport in a new location (this would help with the situation of the 600+ houses that need to be relocated) (i kind of based this idea from your idea of building a new stadium for Dinamo Zagreb in the Zagreb forums) I know this would cost a lot of money, but with enough investments and promotion it could be a possibility..
Well, building new stadium on new location is not as difficult as moving/building entire airport to new location, 600 houses built on airport land where illegally built, they all knew this is airport land when they moved on it, imagine this happening in Toronto (say Pearson International Airport) I'm, sure Canadian authorities would act swiftly if someone build a house on airport land. 600 Homes build there will need to be knocked anyway, this land belongs to Airport, there are no options, most ppl know they going to be evicted, I am sorry for all who going to loose there livelihoods, hope is State will provide them with alternative accommodation, why state you might ask, bc land belongs to state and not the city...

Building new airport in vicinity of Zagreb on new location is impossible, there simply is no way to build an airport on new location with in 25km of city centre, anywhere you look, (use Google earth) land is already heavily used, to the west is loads of small villages and to the east very hilly area which again is full of houses, to the south there are more villages, nowhere else to go.. Use economic sense, to knock down 600 houses you only need t pay for demolishing and clearance (not even that if you use ingenuity). Option can be given to all ppl who lived there to knock (and clear the land) there own houses in return state and city authorities will buy out construction material, (bricks and stuff) and secure planed and landscaped plot of about 600-1000 hectares about 4km away from the airport, state will build little village for all 600 families (ok this is just an idea) and everyone is happy..

Building all together new Airport can cost about 1.2-1.5 billion U$ (a minimum), something State or City can't afford, not at this moment...

Quote:
2.Do you have any information about plans for other airline carriers such as Qantas/Air Canada/any American Airline that might have plans in the near future to do direct Zagreb flights, I know this has been mentioned recently. I have tried to check Air Canada the most, as I live there, but I think they have had their own troubles recently, and have not received much of a reply/info from them to date).
Sorry, nothing, I never bothered to check this up, I know Qantas has very few flights to Europe, London, Rome, Paris and Amsterdam are only destinations they fly to. Air Canada might re-start there Zagreb Route but I'm not cretin of this would be cool if you check this out, call them and bug them until they get back to you, and if you are not happy, come to me and I'll try my Mr, James Bond, lol...

Quote:
3.as for airport modernisation, is there any concrete information on Dubrovnik airport's plans to increase Cilipi, as this year so far has been very successful, even having British Airlines name that airport as one of its best partners.
Yes, I'll need to follow up a bit, I was to bussy, there are many plans and Mate Balota will be one who is going to post all the info on Dubrovnik Airport... Give me few days for that, and Mate...

Last edited by mic of Orion; November 25th, 2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #172
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate_Balota
ATR72-500 is too small for domestic rutes (at least Zagreb,Split and Dubrovik). It holds only 70 passengers.
A319 holds about 140 passengers and if some 70% of it s filled,it s at least 100 people!

But everything else is great! I like the B787!

I just don t understand why this is not at least in their mid-term plans?

Are they all really stupid or we overlooked something?

trust me one ATR72 500 twice a day to Dubrovnik or Split from any other Croatian city would more than suffice, and ATR72 500 uses about 25-30% of A319 fuel consumption..

for other, lol, not my fight, lol

Old November 25th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #173
Ballota