daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #3921
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 5

From the Lane Report. Full article:http://kybiz.com/depts/articleFastLane.cfm?id=947

Cardinal Hill Hospital Begins Major Expansion Project

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held last month at Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital in Lexington for a major expansion of the existing hospital. When completed, the three-story, 158,173-s.f. addition will bring the hospital’s total bed capacity to 208.

Sponsored Links

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM   #3922
Whosville

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian604 View Post
Looks like construction and completion of UK's new College of Pharmacy complex is on schedule. This was pulled from an new article on the university's website.

Currently, a new 286,000-square-foot College of Pharmacy building is under construction on the UK campus. The new state-of-the-art academic and research facility will open to students in January 2010.

Full article: http://news.uky.edu/news/display_article.php?artid=4980
It certainly looks on track. It is looking really nice and almost ready for students right now, so January shouldn't be a problem. They probably have a lot of expensive equipment to install yet or something though.

The hospital looks fairly on track as well. Does UK have a history of completing projects on time and budget - or is this just a freak thing?
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM   #3923
peyton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosville View Post
The hospital looks fairly on track as well. Does UK have a history of completing projects on time and budget - or is this just a freak thing?
I think it has more to do with the economy than anything. They're not fighting other projects to get contractors on site, plus the cost of construction materials has dropped dramatically over the past year. So, I'd say there is a pretty good chance they are ahead of schedule and on or below budget.
peyton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM   #3924
Ian604
Captain

Mohney steps down as chairman of Downtown Development Authority
Herald-Leader staff report

David Mohney stepped down as board chairman of Lexington's Downtown Development Authority on Monday to take a part-time job with the organization as a professional staff member.

Mohney said he and Harold Tate, president of the Downtown Development Authority, "are working out the details" of his job responsibilities.

Tate said he hoped this was the "beginning of a professional design staff" for the authority.

Mohney will work 20 hours a week for the Downtown Development Authority.

He was dean of the University of Kentucky School of Architecture, which became the College of Design, from 1994 until 2007. Mohney left that post to become a UK professor of architecture.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM   #3925
Ian604
Captain

From Business Lexington

LEXINGTON, KY - After eight years of going it alone, Lexington Downtown Development Authority president Harold Tate is finally getting the beginnings of an expanded professional staff to support his efforts in overseeing the revitalization of Lexington's central core. UK architecture professor David Mohney is stepping down from his role as chair of the DDA board four months ahead of the expiration of his term to assume a part-time staff position with the authority. On loan from the university, Mohney will continue to teach while devoting 20-hours of his week to DDA matters. DDA Board Vice Chair P.G. Peeples will step into Mohney's leadership role in the interim.

In addition to Mohney's position, the DDA Board on Monday approved an $8416 budget line to create a research internship to assist Tate and Mohney. Brandi Berryman, a former student of Mohney and Tate's UK design studios will work with the DDA as her graduate project while pursuing a Masters Degree at UK.

Tate said the staffing is an important incremental step in evolving Lexington from a city that has been long on plans while short on implementation of those ideas. " We've had study, after study, after study. I think what you're seeing now with this administration and this council: they want implementation, as well. And that's started with the streetscape plan. It was designed and now it's being implemented," he said, referring to a major downtown spruce-up project that recently began with the makeover of South Limestone between Avenue of the Champions and Vine.

"We should always welcome and encourage new talent and ideas," said Vice Mayor Jim Gray who has been a vocal advocate in favor of expanding the DDA's resources.

Mohney brings to Tate's office the perspective of one who has served as both DDA board member and chair. "It was frustrating to me to see so many good ideas and Harold not have enough of a professional staff to give them the attention that they deserved. I hope this will help him address that and be a precursor to a full-time professional staff because I'm, at this point, only part-time," he said.

Researcher Berryman is already compiling a comparative study of how other cities similar to Lexington have approached downtown development, "what kinds of professional staffs they have; where the funding comes from to support that." The goal, she noted, is to enlighten the Urban County Council on how the DDA should perform and what sort of budget would be needed to transform ideas into realities.

Downtown development efforts have so far concentrated on returning residents to the district - half of a "mixed-use" vision that has taken form in such structures as the Main & Rose and 500s on Main condo/retail developments. The effort will now address the other half of that formula, according to Mohney. "We need a real effort on retail downtown. We think we've been successful in terms of housing downtown, but we need a real focus on retail in the next four to five years. And the marketing of downtown is understated. There is so much more going on than people recognize. We need to tell that story."

The staff expansion at the DDA is welcome news to downtown developers. "Increasing the staff size of the DDA is a very positive development, one which we've spent several years advocating for," said Phil Holoubek, developer of Main & Rose and the Nunn Building Lofts. "This increased staffing will allow the DDA to act in a more proactive, rather than reactive role. This will also allow the DDA to focus more on strategic planning than has been possible in the past. To date, staff has often had to react to tactical 'urgent, but unimportant' requests, basically 'putting out fires', simply due to the lack of adequate staffing and funding levels they've been provided with."

Of course, and especially in these economic times, there is the proverbial $64 million question attached to any additional staff expansion: "How do you fund it?" wondered Tate. "With funding being as tight as it is, it's really important now that we create some good public/private relationships. So, we're going to have to rethink what we do in terms of moving the process forward. We had the TIFS and we had the New Market Tax Credits. But what else is out there that we need to start looking at to make these projects become reality? The city, by itself, cannot afford to do all of this."

And stepping up the DDA's effectiveness is a matter that goes beyond funding, observed Mohney. "I'm a downtown resident and have been for 13-years. When you deal with changes at the level of a city you're talking about a generation, to affect meaningful change. We're right in the middle of that. DDA is 8-years old. We're halfway through a generation of reacquainting Lexingtonians with an urban sensibility. For the last half-century Lexington really grew as a suburban city. It overlooked the urban areas in the center of town, even though it had a great history of that in the early part of the 20th century. It forgot that for awhile."

And then there's the challenge of harnessing psychology and perceptions to acts of implementation. "I'm optimistic," Mohney offered. "But you have to be persistent with these efforts because they take so long. It's not a question of just doing one project and thinking you're done. It is project, after project, after project, after project. It's the trajectory that things are getting better. And when people see that enough of those things are going on, they'll start to believe it. I think that Lexington is just coming to that realization of believing that its downtown is going to get better. We need to get over that last little hump and then things are really going to take off."
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:18 AM   #3926
Ian604
Captain

ACS to hire 850 temporary workers
Herald-Leader Staff Report

Affiliated Computer Services is hiring 850 temporary workers for online document processing at its facility on Fortune Drive in Lexington, the company announced Tuesday.

The jobs will last five weeks. Pay is above minimum wage, and overtime is available, the company said.

Those interested may apply at 2432 Fortune Drive during business hours, or online at www.acs-inc.com; click on "careers."

ACS employs 4,000 people in Kentucky, including 2,000 individuals in Lexington.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM   #3927
Ian604
Captain

Kind of a crappy photo from the Herald-Leader but its cool that work is started.

Larry Mills, with ATS Construction, moved dirt as work on the Newtown Pike extension project continued in Lexington on Wednesday.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3928
Whosville

Anyone sure if they are taking down the Springs Hotel? They have all the heavy equipment, but it seems like they are working on the pavement and pool and not the structure itself?
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #3929
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

They are allowing the Historic Preservation office to document the building before the demo it all.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #3930
gt7834a

The Newtown Pike extension is really going to make a massive change to that area. You would not believe how many people already use it, more or less. They come down Pine, turn onto Manchester and then onto Cox/Newtown Pike. It is a terrible situation currently, yet there is a stready stream of traffic all day long. Plus Manchester has always been cut off from downtown. The viaduct and huge parking lot effectively seperate it from downtown despite it being so close. This should help change that. You will be able to walk down Main to newtown and then down to Manchester and it will all have sidewalks and for the most part be a pleasant walk. The only thing that worries me is the massive grade change. They are raising manchester 14 feet. That seems excessive.
gt7834a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #3931
Ian604
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7834a View Post
The Newtown Pike extension is really going to make a massive change to that area. You would not believe how many people already use it, more or less. They come down Pine, turn onto Manchester and then onto Cox/Newtown Pike. It is a terrible situation currently, yet there is a stready stream of traffic all day long. Plus Manchester has always been cut off from downtown. The viaduct and huge parking lot effectively seperate it from downtown despite it being so close. This should help change that. You will be able to walk down Main to newtown and then down to Manchester and it will all have sidewalks and for the most part be a pleasant walk. The only thing that worries me is the massive grade change. They are raising manchester 14 feet. That seems excessive.
Yeah that's a substantial grade change.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3932
Ian604
Captain

Updates sent out from the Distillery District group on facebook. Never thought I'd be quoting facebook on SSC...

Distillery District Update

While the larger District headlines have slowed over last few months, there is an incredible amount of quiet momentum building. Below is a quick project update, but first the items worth getting on your calendar today:

Upcoming events in the Distillery District:

TODAY (Friday, Sept 4th) -- Buster’s is Back! Grand Opening Featuring Chico Fellini, These United States, & Wax Fang. Details and tickets here: http://www.bustersbb.com/?p=280 Buster's entire September calendar can be viewed here: http://www.bustersbb.com/?page_id=243&month=9
Lexington becomes a regional draw with the city’s largest non-arena venue for live music. Several national acts are visiting the Bluegrass for the first time in the coming weeks, but it all starts tomorrow evening so don’t miss the kickoff!

Friday, Sep. 11 -- Pure Blue Vodka Presents:A Benefit for the Town Branch Trail, Featuring Fifth on the Floor, and Coralee and the Townies
Tickets can be purchased here: http://www.bustersbb.com/?p=285
This is a Distillery District triple play, so if you think the District matters—this is the night to vote with your feet. In addition to catching some great music, you’ll be supporting Buster’s, Barrel House Distilling, and the Town Branch Trail!

Tuesday, Sep. 29 -- Giving Spirits: A bourbon-inspired event featuring bourbon barrel art from local artists, live music, and a bourbon tasting sponsored by Jim Beam Brands. Details here: http://www.facebook.com/editevent.ph...d=125787523468
As Bourbon Country begins to find some of its original roots in Lexington, Jim Beam jumps in to help spread support for a project that goes beyond the Bluegrass! Music, spirits, art and a visit from Beam’s Whiskey Professor make this a one-of-a-kind experience.

Now for a little catching up . . .

Since the last headlines in December with LFUCG approval of the District’s TIF, the project’s application marched on to Frankfort for preliminary approval by the state in February. It has since been under review by an outside consultant and is now scheduled to be on the Kentucky Economic Development Finance Authority’s agenda for the last week of September. It is hoped that the project will then receive final approval by the end of October.

Over the last several months, we've been working through a floodplain study that had meaningful progress at a standstill. Thanks to the efforts of the folks at Smith Management and LFUCG Engineering, the wheels are back in motion.

We're proud to report that the 6.4 acre James E. Pepper Distillery has now been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Pepper Distillery is not only the most urban of Kentucky’s surviving bourbon distilleries, but it is also the only one intact and pointing back to a Fayette County heritage that's over 140 years old. (If you want to see the only remaining building of Registered Distillery #1 from 1865, Buster’s would love to show off the new Old Tarr Distillery tonight). We have been working with the Kentucky Heritage Council over the last several months on historically sensitive design that is expected to generate significant historic tax credit equity for the renovation.

We have also been working with Community Ventures Corporation towards New Markets Tax Credits that could provide tremendous help in getting this neglected area back in fighting condition.

Some exciting progress with the Kentucky Distillers Association about a concept that could help put the District (and Lexington) in the thick of the bourbon revolution. As soon as its ready for prime time, our Facebook supporters will hear the news first.

Later this month, you’ll begin to hear a bit more about a group that will be taking time out from its scenery and props business newly located on Manchester Street. For the month of October, their half-acre indoor facility will host a Halloween Scream Park that will blow your socks off—really wild. Really.

As the District builds one piece at a time, your support for both the larger concept and individual business pioneers is critical. In the coming months, there will be forums and public events for which we want to reach the largest possible audience. With that in mind, thanks for continuing to follow the project . . . and please help extend our community base by passing the word on to others who might like to get tuned in to this group.

Thanks again,
Barry McNees
Lexington Distillery District
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3933
Ian604
Captain

So this doesn't look like it's going to end well. I've been wondering what's been going on with Lexhold.

UK Coldstream research campus developer awash in financial, legal woes
By Cheryl Truman - ctruman@herald-leader.com
Lexington Herald-Leader

A pair of six-story buildings packed with high-tech businesses would adorn one of Lexington's most prominent intersections had the University of Kentucky's plans for Coldstream Research Campus panned out.

Instead, the corner of Interstate 75 and Newtown Pike is a hotbed for lawsuits, mechanics' liens and a mortgage default. The Lexhold International Center for Technological Innovation at Coldstream is substantially behind schedule, plagued with unpaid bills and mired in legal wrangles.

Developer Kale Roscoe, who pleaded guilty to tax evasion in 1999 and was recently fired from his job as developer of a building at the University of South Carolina's research park, was sued in May by the bank that holds the $18.5 million mortgage on the one partially complete Lexhold building.

Flagstar Bank estimates in its Michigan lawsuit that "several million dollars in additional funds may be needed" to finish the building, which already houses two tenants.

The disappointing venture is a major stumble for the 735-acre Coldstream campus, which has been touted as a place where Lexington's technology and pharmaceutical industries could bloom. Although it has been under development since 1991, more than half of the research campus remains grassland. It houses 51 tenants in 14 buildings, employing about 1,000 people.

UK has taken a more lenient approach to its research park woes than the University of South Carolina, which is investigating John Parks, the former director of Coldstream who now heads South Carolina's research park. University officials there are trying to determine whether Parks, who left UK in 2007, properly vetted Roscoe before bringing him on board.

Although UK told Flagstar Bank in a letter that Roscoe has "consistently failed" to make timely payments on his land lease since 2005, the university has taken no legal action against Roscoe or his companies.

Roscoe's Lexington Dark Star was required to make a monthly payment of $8,721 for the land associated with the first building beginning April 1, 2005.

UK has "had discussions" with Roscoe, but university spokesman Jimmy Stanton declined to elaborate, citing "pending litigation."

"I'd sure like to know why the University of Kentucky hasn't cut their ties with him," said Phil Angelucci. His company, Angelucci Acoustical, is still allegedly owed $88,000 for work on another building at Coldstream built by Roscoe.

UK officials did temporarily cancel the school's lease with Lexington Dark Star but reversed course in April so that Flagstar Bank and Lexington construction management company Denham-Blythe could try to finish the first building.

Still, it remains incomplete. A large strip of uncovered Tyvek moisture wrap bisects the exterior of the building. Inside, duct work remains exposed; walls are unfinished.

While acknowledging that UK is worried about the Lexhold building, Stanton said that "we are encouraged by the progress made over the past several months and are hopeful the final stages of the building will be completed soon and additional tenants can move in."

UK continues to receive frequent inquiries from developers and companies interested in locating at Coldstream, he said.

Empty space

So far, the Lexhold building isn't a hotbed of high-technology firms.

The American Board of Family Practice moved earlier this year from its Young Drive location to the Lexhold building. The board sent a notice of default in March to Lexington Holdings, another Roscoe company associated with the project, claiming that it failed to pay for fitting-up the new office space.

Another tenant, MedTech College, occupies the second floor and now offers short-term programs such as phlebotomy and pharmacy assistance. Beginning Sept. 28, the college will begin offering associate degree programs, including health care management and medical lab technology.

UK itself was supposed to be a tenant in the second building planned for the site.

In November 2008, UK counsel Barbara Jones sent a letter to Roscoe's attorney, saying that the university had been forced to cancel plans to house its information technology center and medical center information technology center in the proposed building.

"The university invested substantial time and energy into the Data Center," Jones wrote to Roscoe attorney Charles Mihalek, who had requested a meeting to discuss the issue. "The delay in its construction and occupation has caused the University significant financial and logistical problems."

Mihalek could not be reached for comment.

Complaints abound

Although Parks claimed in The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C., last month that Roscoe "performed very well in Kentucky" and "is one of the most tenacious developers I know," subcontractors on the Lexhold building might have a different assessment.

The building has at least 15 mechanic's liens — documents filed to secure payment for unpaid bills for services and materials used in construction — totaling more than $2 million filed against it in the Fayette County clerk's office.

In addition, two contractors, Fayette Heating & Air Conditioning and Dave Steel, have filed a lawsuit citing more than half a million dollars in unpaid bills for the building: $441,770 for Fayette Heating & Air and $102,607 for Dave Steel.

A local real estate brokerage firm, Haymaker & Bean, has filed a claim, also in circuit court, saying that it and Colliers Turley Martin Tucker, another real estate firm, are owed $137,092 for a broker's fee for the building.

These are not Roscoe's first legal troubles.

In 1999, he pleaded guilty to tax evasion and served time in a federal prison camp in Duluth, Minn., according to federal Bureau of Prison records and court records from the Eastern District of Michigan.

When a Lexington constable heard that a Herald-Leader reporter was scheduled to meet with Roscoe on Thursday, she called the newspaper to ask the location: She had numerous papers to serve on behalf of other companies and was having trouble locating Roscoe.

The Herald-Leader didn't provide the meeting location to the constable. But Roscoe canceled the meeting anyway and ignored a request to reschedule. Parks also did not return phone messages seeking his comment.

Michael McGovern, Flagstar Bank's representative in the default suit, could not be reached for comment, nor could Denis Steiner, president of Denham-Blythe.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #3934
tallbldg

Likes (Received): 3

Taken a few weeks back while passing thru.

tallbldg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #3935
lexc5812

Likes (Received): 8

I know im in the minority, but that block looks better than it ever has. Im being dead serious. anyone else kindve agree that whatever ends up there will be 10x better than what was there.

Last edited by lexc5812; September 7th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
lexc5812 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3936
Ian604
Captain

Thanks for the photos Tallbldg
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3937
madtony26.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexc5812 View Post
I know im in the minority, but that block looks better than it ever has. Im being dead serious. anyone else kindve agree that whatever ends up there will be 10x better than what was there.
I'm in the minority with you on this one! We're probably actually in the majority. If the majority were against it, this project would not have been approved in the first place. I think the ones that are opposed are more likely to voice their opinion about it, the people that are for it have no reason to say anything.

Thanks for the pics tallbldg.. i wish they would have been construction pics, like we were all anticipating a while back.
madtony26.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #3938
tallbldg

Likes (Received): 3

What is the status with this thing? Looks to me like it's a go, but I'm hearing not? It would really do Lexington great. I love the looks of it and it would sure fit very nicely into the skyline! I was highly impressed with the downtown while I was there that Sunday evening. The thing that's strange to me is that I-75 or 64 don't even pass thru downtown. Has that hurt or helped the downtown? From what I saw, it doesn't seem to miss the interstate blowing right thru the center.
tallbldg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #3939
Ian604
Captain

Unfortunately like everything else in the world right now its on hold due to financing. We hope it gets back on track soon.

Yeah, Lexington is a bit strange in that our interstates skirt around the city instead of moving through. On the one hand the view from the interstate is pretty unflattering in that all you'll see is our suburbs. On the other hand if the highways were to come through downtown they would have had to plow through the historic neighborhoods we all love so much.
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #3940
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 46

Tom Eblen: First section of Town Branch Trail opens next weekend
Herald-Leader, September 5, 2009

Lexington was born and grew up around the Town Branch of South Elkhorn Creek, but over the past century we've done our best to pollute it, bury it and forget about it.

Water finds its way, though, even if it sometimes needs help.

Town Branch Trail Inc. has been working for a decade to develop a greenway along the creek west of downtown. The first fruits of those labors will be on display next weekend, when the initial two-mile section of the trail is opened with a benefit concert and bicycle rally.
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington ky