daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

The Louvre Wins Twelfth Hall of Fame Contest!

Week 12: Best Museum

1. Louvre, Paris - 50 votes (44.25%)

2. Musei Vaticani, Rome - 20 votes (17.70%)

3. British Museum, London - 18 votes (15.93%)

4. Galleria Uffizi, Florence - 17 votes (15.04%)

5. Natural History Museum, London - 8 votes (7.08%)

Last edited by Wu-Gambino; June 13th, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #2
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

The Natural History Museum deserved far more votes!
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

The British Museum also deserved more votes.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

The Louvre also deserved more vote
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

The Hermitage in Saint Petersbourg deserves more votes.

Mainly there are two huge museums in the world : the Louvre and the Hermitage. Those museums exhibit paintings from all times and countries, sculptures, archeological foundings, etc... Knowing the huge collections, it's objectively impossible to consider a museum which is specific to only one topic as more worthy than those.

Personally I consider that the Metropolitan Museum of Art is also missing from that list for about the same reason (even if it's smaller than the Hermitage or the Louvre).

Museums from London are great and even better, they are free. However it's tough for them to hold the comparison. Subjectively, my best remembrance for a museum in London is the Tate Modern near the Millenium Bridge. I've been really desappointed by the National Gallery and even more by the Tate "english only" gallery.

Other great museums in Europe which should be mentionned : the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam (both are outstanding), the Pergamonmuseum in Berlin (the most interesting archeological museum I've visited, better than the Louvre or the British museum in that field), the Prado in Madrid with among other things Goya's collection (I love Goya), and of course the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao, which is an outstanding monument. There are of course tons of other things to see and my list is far to be exhaustive of course. For instance, the Belvedere in Vienna is really interesting with its collection from Klimt.

And it's also true that Paris can't be summarized to the Louvre : The Musée d'Orsay of course (my personnal favourite), the Musée de l'Orangerie (best exhibition of Monet I've seen), the Centre Pompidou (Modern Art), etc...

Bah anyway, my final point will be that there are more than one museum to visit in this world.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #6
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Come on now the Hermitage is immense and the Louvre is no bigger than the British Museum (the British Museum is the largest museum in terms of exhibits: 6,000,000 and the Victoria & Albert is second with 4,000,000!!). I would have replaced the Galleria Uffizi with the Hermitage in the listing though.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Come on now the Hermitage is immense and the Louvre is no bigger than the British Museum (the British Museum is the largest museum in terms of exhibits: 6,000,000 and the Victoria & Albert is second with 4,000,000!!). I would have replaced the Galleria Uffizi with the Hermitage in the listing though.
Ok just a tip for next time : Think before posting.

This is the British Museum :

And This is the Louvre :

This is the Main Inner Court of the British Museum :

This is one of the Six Lateral Court of the Louvre :

Sorry to tell you this but the British is a dwarf compared to the Louvre.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #8
Matthieu
Administrateur

Don't tell me guys, after this, than London vs Paris isn't the biggest rivalry of this forum.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
Don't tell me guys, after this, than London vs Paris isn't the biggest rivalry of this forum.
Exarchus, this is certainly not my point. London is really a great city and many cities in the world would dream to have its museums. As I said, I like a lot the Tate Modern and the British is an especially well-made museum dedicated to Ancient Civilization, a museum which is moreover free. However, as well-made as it is, it remains a dwarf in term of size compared to the Louvre. Bigger doesn't always mean better you know. The Louvre needs weeks to be fully visited. A visit at the Louvre can be really exhausting, and in the end you don't even appreciate the collection which is exhibited because you have no more legs.

There are globally 3 really huge museums : The Louvre in Paris, the Hermitage in Saint Petersbourg and the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Those three are huge generalist museums exhibiting any kind of Arts. There's no such a museum in London but that doesn't mean it's bad because of this. Actually, when you want to see Egyptian Art, you don't have to go in a museum exhibiting also Paintings from all times and countries, Renaissance scultpures, Oriental Arts, or the Medieval foundations of a former castle built at that place before.

Once again, I tell it to you : Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, especially when we talk about museums.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #10
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Come on now - the Cour Carrée is a more representative comparison between the Great Court, but even then the Great Court is larger. You must know that in the centre of the Great Court is the immense Reading Room, which your photo forgets to show. I've been to the Musée du Louvre and I know damn well that the Sully is probably a bit smaller than the western wing of the British Museum.

Are you also telling me that you could sample 6,000,000 objects in less time than you could study those in the Musée du Louvre? I agree that London has diversity of museums - but that is because it has to spread it over several areas (ie the Musée du Louvre in London would be a super-museum of the British Museum and National Gallery combined). The British Museum is by no means dwarfed by the Musée du Louvre, for that would entail a hugely arrogant and short-sighted view. Infact both museums have (I believe) roughly the same amount of galleries and exhibition rooms. I thus come to the theory, that your actually getting confused between the spaghetti "sprawl" look of the Musée du Louvre and the condensed version of the British Museum (The western end of the British Museum for example is 5-6 galleries thick).

I don't believe that there is a big three as you claim (Met, Louvre, Hermitage). But just the big two: Musée du Louvre + British Museum. The Hermitage and Met are excellent museums....but their collections are by far not the most absorbing or influential upon the visitor. I thus believe that you missed out the British Museum intentionally to try and create a flared argument. Then again while the Musée du Louvre and others are mixed artifact and painting galleries, the British Museum is predominantly artifact orientated (I believe 1 gallery is dedicated to actual paintings).

Now the Musée du Louvre is class, it is far more uniform and nice looking (apart from the Great Court and Reading Room which outdoes any court or single room in the Musée du Louvre) than the British Museum, but you shouldn't over exagerate it.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #11
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Nick, have a look on this page:

http://www.burohappold.com/newslinks.../FireEngBM.php

You'll learn that the total public floor area of the British Museum is 35000m2 (after Foster's refurbishment)

Now look at this page:

http://www.insecula.com/musee/M0001.html

It's in french, but you can easily understand that the total public floor area of the Louvre is 60620m2.

-> The louvre is just two times bigger than the British Museum. And there's MANY other great museum in Paris (Orsay, Pompidou, Picasso, Carnavalet, Rodin, Guimet, three big museums of technology, Le jardin de plantes which is the Natural history... and dozens of other museum...).
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

Amazing Museums
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:43 PM   #13
erdnisloed

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor View Post
How many silver little spoons in the V&A ?

I precise that contrary to the British museum and Hermitage the national collection of French archeology is split between the National Museum of Prehistory in Les-Eyzies-de-Tayac, Périgord (before Antiquity : 6.000.000 items) and the National Museum of Archeology in Saint-Germain-en-Laye (until the Carolingians : 3.000.000 tems) reason why the Louvre holds only 554600 items (554498 on October 4, 2014) including 12660... ancient paintings, nevertheless mostly in storage or ''dépôt'', still less... than the Hermitage, but which includs too modern paintings.
My prefered museum in London is the National Gallery. The specificity of London IMO is the number of ancient paintings galleries (before 1900 and above all before 1800) with great international names (NG, Portraits, Tate B, V&A, Wallace, Dulwich, Courtauld, Aspley house, Royal Academy, municipal collection and Royal collection) while the collections were more strictly grouped (''en masse'' for the 2 largest) by owner and periods (or provenance : Guimet, Branly) in Paris, with a smaller taste in gold and silverware displays (Louvre, Orsay, Jacquemart-André, Orangerie) or Versailles leaving less pieces of interest/ancient paintings for the ''smaller'' municipal museums, where the French school prevails (Petit Palais, Carnavalet, Cognacq-Jay + Arts Déco) and there is no permanent gallery for the important Beaux-Arts school collection. But on the other hand Paris has the particularity to have several artist's houses/collections (Picasso, Rodin, Marmottan-Monet, Bourdelle, Gustave Moreau, Henner, Zadkine) compared with London (Soane).
For modern art the offer is rather similar, but perhaps more encyclopedic and larger this time in Paris : there are ''small'' collections in both cities (Saatchi, Estorick / Vuitton collections) and large collections too (Tate M in London / national and municipal museums of modern art in Paris).
It's interesting to note that the 15 main collections of paintings in London hold quasi the same number of paintings (about 23000) than the 15 main parisian ones.

The collections of the natural history museums of New-York (dinosaures) or Paris are IMO equivalent in interest to the one of London. Both cities have as well an army, a mankind and a sciences museum {Sciences museum / Arts et Métiers). But in Paris the modern experiments are not gathered in the same convenient place but in 2 other places (Palais de la découverte and La Villette), while the national medical collection was scattered in 3... small museums of the school of medecine, with few attendance, and consequently closed one after the other then stored, like the municipal medical museum !

Last edited by erdnisloed; April 27th, 2016 at 01:25 AM.
erdnisloed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:58 PM   #14
Matthieu
Administrateur

Now that's what I call a bump
Old April 23rd, 2016, 05:58 PM   #15
erdnisloed

Likes (Received): 336

Matthieu, I thought that it was Perpignan railway station not Tarbes !

PS : the medical collections in Paris are rather important but quasi invisible now : to the 4 already mentionned could be added those of the Val de Grace, Fragonard, Saint-Louis hospital and Moisan museums. But few people are interested in this matter or to gather them in the same place, which for example could have been the 3rd storey of the Mankind museum (research laboratories now).
End !

Last edited by erdnisloed; April 27th, 2016 at 01:28 AM.
erdnisloed no está en línea   Reply With Quote