daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #61
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1676

This is a strange thread.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Silly_Walks, Yuri S Andrade liked this post
zaphod no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #62
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUrbanist View Post
It was local leaders in the Asian-American community who pushed for this change.
Do these self-appointed "local leaders" speak for the Asian American Atlanta community?

Silly_Walks liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #63
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
How many Asians can live along a line before it can no longer be the Yellow Line? 1? 10? 100? 1000? 10000?
and the ethnic composition of neighbourhoods in big cities is constantly changing, they might change it now only to find that in 20 years some districts along the new ' yellow line ' have lots of Asians living there. What are they going to do? Change all the line colours after each census?

Silly_Walks liked this post
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora  
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #64
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
This is a strange thread.
By a Strange poster...look at these similar threads hes started on sites i use or occasionally view... He has an obsession with Race and transit colors and the color pink...for starters.. He seems to post a few times on most sites and then stops with the exception of City Data... He doesn't seem to care that people are not amused by the racial tone of his threads...

Political correctness in rail line color assignments - City Data

Color for next MARTA rail line (heavy or light) - Skyscraperpage

Rail Lines - Colors Vs. Numbers/letters - airliners.net

Color for next MARTA rail line? - Railroad.net

What color for future MARTA rail line? - Chicago Transit Forum
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; May 26th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Nexis no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #65
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

He has also been to AARoads. I cannot link to that thread since it is in a private part of that forum, but it is called 'What color for future MARTA rail line (heavy or light rail)?'. Personally I don't care about the colo(u)r of a line, if anything all lines should receive a number.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora  
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #66
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankYCH View Post
For instance, I read somewhere that the route of one of the lines in the Chicago metro was determined by a desire to separate "black" and "white" areas.
There are three lines that are through lines and go across the city instead of just coming into the downtown area and stopping.

The red line goes from one of the more diverse areas of the city to the wealthiest and also very white area of the city and then down to one of the poorest and blackest areas of the city.

The blue line goes from the whitest area of the city to one of the blackest areas of the city.

The green area stays mostly in very black areas of the city......but this is just where it was built 110 years ago.

We have the red line, pink line, brown line, yellow line. I've never once heard anyone talk about them racially or as far as gay people. They're just colors used for the transit lines....
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #67
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

This thread is
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

Silly_Walks, Nexis, FrankYCH, Sr.Horn liked this post
Bitxofo no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #68
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Can this ridiculous thread be locked and consigned to the dustbin already?

Nexis, Alargule, Silly_Walks liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #69
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

No, please.
It is very funny! LOL
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #70
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
No, please.
It is very funny! LOL
Yea , but the OP hasn't posted in a week...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #71
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8811

I will keep this open and use it as a case study in PC-driven and sanctioned stupidity.
Svartmetall no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #72
LondonerMiles

Likes (Received): 12

As someone who is half black, I really couldn't care less what the line is called. The "Negro Line" however might be a bit uncomfortable.

Remember that in older cities, the metros/subways/underground lines were built a century ago, before the onset of large black,asian or gay communities were created. If a gay community happened to be on the "Pink Line", its merely the innocent fault of history and coincidence.
LondonerMiles no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #73
FrankYCH

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I will keep this open and use it as a case study in PC-driven and sanctioned stupidity.
Actually, that's probably just what the OP wanted. He clearly isn't in favour of what is usually meant by PC, as he seems determined to show it up in the most ridiculous light.

Sure, there are real examples of PC stupidity, although rather less than the (predominantly right-wing in the UK) media would have us believe.
But is this forum an appropriate one in which to discuss this thorny issue?
FrankYCH no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #74
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

Sorry to bump an old thread, but from what I have learned, while Phoenix doesn't have a truly concentrated gay community, there is an area in Central Phoenix that is up and coming as a gay community. The area is roughly bounded by McDowell on the south, 7th Street on the east, Bethany Home on the north, and 7th Avenue on the west. This area is already served by the existing light rail route, which would be the Red Line in my dream light rail system for the Phoenix area. The same area would also be served by the Silver and Orange Lines. The LGBT community would probably be grateful that there would be three different lines serving their community, regardless of the colors of the lines.
Pink Jazz no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #75
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8811

Your post adds nothing. In fact this whole topic adds nothing to the forum other than database fluff. Locked.

Why you would feel to mention that the gay community would like further transit lines is beyond me. Any community wants transit lines generally, so I really don't see the point of your waffle.
Svartmetall no está en línea  

Closed Thread