daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Why are Modern Skyscrapers so Utilitarian and Bland?

I can't be the only one who is bored to hell with the repetitive, amateur glass boxes that are arising and subsequently destroying many world-class location's skylines? I understand they're meant to be 'unique', 'different' and 'deep', etc., but honestly, the amount of utter crap that many alleged 'renowned architects' are producing is driving me insane. You can tell me to 'embrace the future' and 'move forward' as much as you may wish - but why should we move forward when we are leaving such brilliant architectural styles behind?
It's coming to the point where everything is the same - glass, cheap, lacks any care or effort and will probably only last a few years before it begins to decay. I honestly feel that the majority of 'modernism' and 'futurism' and other mediocre architectural types are purely there as an excuse to build cheap and monolithic looking buildings that lack any trace of soul and detail at all.
If they are your kind of thing - then fine. But truthfully, what appeals you to it?
Give me something Art Deco or Classical over any modern thing any day. Please.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Opulentus; October 15th, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:21 PM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I'm tired of hearing people whine over modern buildings like this. It's been repeated on this site so many times, usually by the very vocal classicist minority, and it's getting really annoying. There are lots of modern buildings that are beautiful and there is a reason for the phrase "less is more."
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Indeed there are, 53 west 53rd street in New York would be a good example. Although I just feel that the majority are not on such a level as many of the classic and traditional skyscrapers. I personally see it as a great shame.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Greedy Sheedy

Likes (Received): 200

I am inclined to agree with both of you. I think the best skylines are in fact places that have mixes of numerous styles, such as New York and Chicago.

The problem with modern scrapers isn't so much the material they use but the 'one-upmanship' mentality, creating a cluster of ostentatious towers which all fade into obscurity. The fact is the 'boxey' skyscrapers mixed with a few pinnacles and rather overt towers look far better as each compliments one another, unfortunately modern architects are more concerned about themselves and the imprint they'll leave rather than trying to create something that is in harmony with its surroundings.

All that being said, I do prefer more masonry and don't see why they can't have a nice structure at the bottom with cheaper glass above (similar to the Hearst Tower). At least then at street level it has more detail to be admired and from afar has a slightly different impact.

TowerVerre:), Opulentus, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Greedy Sheedy; June 4th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
Greedy Sheedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #5
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Modern towers are simplistic, not tacky like older towers. A clean design is more relaxing to look at

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #6
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy Sheedy View Post
The problem with modern scrapers isn't so much the material they use but the 'one-upmanship' mentality, creating a cluster of ostentatious towers which all fade into obscurity. The fact is the 'boxey' skyscrapers mixed with a few pinnacles and rather overt towers look far better as each compliments one another, unfortunately modern architects are more concerned about themselves and the imprint they'll leave rather than trying to create something that is in harmony with its surroundings.
You think architects of the far past didn't do the same thing in their day?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, modern architecture