SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tip Top Lofts | Complete | Central Waterfront / Fort York

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  urbandreamer 
#1 ·
I thought it would be good to start a thread on this... it is a neat, very exclusive project.

Does anybody have photos of this or news articles?

#2 ·
Tip Top Oh Baby!!

It's a bit premature, as the project is not finished, but it's already apparent, that Context has outdone itself on this restoration-addition condo project.

The building was magnificent to begin with, and the restoration is perfect. This alone would be good enough. Additions are usually a recipe for disaster...the origional is usually great, but the new part usually sucks.

Not in this case...the addition on top of the old building fits in so well...not trying to fake any kind of historical facadism...and not going for something totally avante-guarde, ala liebskind or something. It's modern, not gregarious, but it works so well with the old building, I'm totally amazed. And it's not even finished yet.

This wasn't a cheap building, and the lakefront location is great...but it wasn't that expensive...man, those people are going to get their money's worth....inside and out.

The old Tip Top Tailors sign has been fully restored (including neon), and it looks fantastic...I like the way they tilted it a bit. I was worried that only one of the three signs were going to be used, as I like the way the old building had it on three sides...but this turned out good anyway.

The whole front entrance area and landscaping has obviously not even started yet, but I imagine it's going to be fantastic too. It had a great old fountain origionally...hopefully they are having it restored or replaced.

Context already has a good rep, but I think this project is going to impress once it's finished.

KGB

#6 ·
"I don't like it, but hey, why not? "

Well, the sign was too iconic to leave out...even though it was a brand name that obviously has no point to being on a residential building.

I remember as a kid, taking the streetcar down to the EX, seeing the Tip Top Tailors sign meant we were close. Going to the EX was the highlite of my year.

"The 'restored sign' doesn't look familiar anymore. Must be because the building is bigger, hence, the proportions are off."

Oh definetely...the origional building had it covering all three side of the building (yea, it's U-shaped, not square)....it was much more prominant. It's obviously different now. But I like the fact they went to great lengths and expense to restore and include it into the design...most developers wouldn't even consider it....it's the little extras Context does that makes them a great developer.

KGB

#7 ·
Is the sign smaller?

#11 ·
KGB said:
"I don't like it, but hey, why not? "

Well, the sign was too iconic to leave out...even though it was a brand name that obviously has no point to being on a residential building.

KGB
Oh, I'm all for keeping the sign... I agree it's an icon. But why tilt it? They might as well throw a backwards 'R' in the middle and erect a big smiley face on the end, if you get my drift. Should have kept it level...

#13 ·
Nice! I like the fact that they kept the sign although I don't quite understand why it's slanted. I also like the darker windows.

#14 ·
Slightly tilted...straight...I really don't see one being better over the other...obviously someone pondered it, and decided that being on a slight angle would be more interesting.

I would have thought people would be more interested in the deco details, the window treatments, massing of the new addition, and other architectural highlites.

But I guess not.

KGB

#15 ·
Here's an idea. Next time you post something on a 'discussion board' include a strict checklist of things people should discuss. God forbid we should ever annoy you!

#16 ·
KGB said:
Slightly tilted...straight...I really don't see one being better over the other...obviously someone pondered it, and decided that being on a slight angle would be more interesting.

I would have thought people would be more interested in the deco details, the window treatments, massing of the new addition, and other architectural highlites.

But I guess not.

KGB
It's easier to point out whats wrong than whats right.

Don't you think, though, that well executed details and massing can easily be ruined by a silly gesture? If the design intent was to be 'modern', why on earth tilt the sign? My thesis prof would have chewed me out on that. Let's stick gargoyles all over the TD Centre (okay, okay, I'm getting carried away here).

Just playing the Devils Advocate here... there's plenty of room for wonky signs in this world... but don't be surprised if thats what attracts peoples attention, for better or worse.

#18 ·
I'll humour you, KGB. They did do a lovely job. Note how in this pic, the mullions are grouped to compliment the level of detail in the existing building. It's a current trend to go mullion-crazy.. but often there is no justifcation for it and is vain (from a modernists point of view). Here, it is appropriate.

G
#19 ·
algonquin said:
It's easier to point out whats wrong than whats right.

Don't you think, though, that well executed details and massing can easily be ruined by a silly gesture? If the design intent was to be 'modern', why on earth tilt the sign? My thesis prof would have chewed me out on that. Let's stick gargoyles all over the TD Centre (okay, okay, I'm getting carried away here).

Just playing the Devils Advocate here... there's plenty of room for wonky signs in this world... but don't be surprised if thats what attracts peoples attention, for better or worse.

I agree.

I'll wait till this is done until I pass judgement.

#20 ·
"It's easier to point out whats wrong than whats right."

Yes...we are in Toronto, aren't we. he he

"Don't you think, though, that well executed details and massing can easily be ruined by a silly gesture? "

Yes it could be...but is it in this case?

"If the design intent was to be 'modern', why on earth tilt the sign? My thesis prof would have chewed me out on that."

Well, who really knows what was going on in the minds of the architects when they made this decision...maybe they did a brilliant job on everything else except this detail, where they somehow fuked up?? Maybe they had thought about every detail far more than we have, and made a professional decision based on their vision for the building?

Sticking it back on the building as a literal copy of the origional would seem slightly less appropriate, considering the purpose of keeping it was part of a re-interpretation of a well-known building, with a pop-art sort of attachment.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here as well...but personally, I don't have a problem with the architect's choice...in this case, there is no right or wrong.

A major part of appreciating architecture, is understanding the language of the architect...not pretending what you would have done instead...and this is the major mistake most people make....and why most people don't have a very good appreciation of architecture.

KGB

#21 ·
KGB said:
Sticking it back on the building as a literal copy of the origional would seem slightly less appropriate, considering the purpose of keeping it was part of a re-interpretation of a well-known building, with a pop-art sort of attachment
I disagree. Considering the sign is integral to the heritage and image of this building, tilting it goes too far. However, it's occured to me that the fact they raised it several floors to the new hieght of the building hasn't bothered me.

It does seem that someone felt it was important to differentiate the old use v.s. the new. Just under the tilted sign is a smaller sign saying 'tiptoplofts.com'. I'm not sure what the purpose of advertising the website is once the building is completely sold.

A major part of appreciating architecture, is understanding the language of the architect...not pretending what you would have done instead...and this is the major mistake most people make....and why most people don't have a very good appreciation of architecture.
conversely, a major part of appreciating architecture is pointing out what doesn't fit in the language of the architect. :)

whimsical.. thats the word that I've been searching for.

#22 ·
" Considering the sign is integral to the heritage and image of this building, tilting it goes too far. However, it's occured to me that the fact they raised it several floors to the new hieght of the building hasn't bothered me. "

Originally, there were 3 signs; one in each direction except for the south

#23 ·
Tip Top --- the tilted sign represents Dylex Corporation, sunk in the bottom the Corporate Insolvency Sea. And you don't want to sink in that Sea- accountants, lawyers, bankruptcy trustees, and spouses who loved you to bits when you were flush with cash, but now, they're not so sure.-- tears galore!

Tilted sign? They should have a noose! But, I guess, it's not so good for sales...

#24 ·
Maybe the tilt of the sign was just an expression by the architects of a slight, but not significant modification to the original; just as happened to the whole building. Either way, i'm not to concerned about the signs angle. I'm just glad they have it up.
As for the building, it just looks great. I'll save my judgement for when it's fully built, but I can't deny that this is probably one of the best reconstructions this city has had. I'm jealous of those who will live in there.
"The whole front entrance area and landscaping has obviously not even started yet, but I imagine it's going to be fantastic too. It had a great old fountain origionally...hopefully they are having it restored or replaced."
I don't even know about this fountain to be honest, does anyone have a pic that includes how it looked like?

#25 ·
"I disagree. Considering the sign is integral to the heritage and image of this building, tilting it goes too far. "

Keeping it perfectly horozontal was fine when it was on top of the origional building...it wouldn't look right if they did the same thing on top of the added structure. I'm sure they tried it out various ways before deciding on this application.

Keeping it excactly where it was is obvioulsy not an option, so I think they have the best solution.

Either way, it's a minor issue...to say it "goes too far" is a tad crazy...and I'm a details *****. Mind you, it's a big red sign that really sticks out, and most Torontonians will be reminded of an icon they remember well, and is back in a slightly different way...so who knows...maybe that will be all people talk about. Interesting.

"Just under the tilted sign is a smaller sign saying 'tiptoplofts.com'. I'm not sure what the purpose of advertising the website is once the building is completely sold."

Obviously this is just a temporary tarp sign...once the building is complete, sold-out, and occupied, it will no longer be there.

I find it very odd that this doesn't seem obvious...but it does give me a hint at the thinking process.

KGB

#26 ·
KGB said:
Obviously this is just a temporary tarp sign...once the building is complete, sold-out, and occupied, it will no longer be there.

I find it very odd that this doesn't seem obvious...but it does give me a hint at the thinking process.

KGB
couldn't tell in the photos if it was a tarp or not.... without the white text underneath, it will look even... less purposeful.

LOL @ Are Be... you're a funny, crazy guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.