daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #401
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 662

What you see once or twice in the airport doesn't represent the actual national statistic. So, don't judge it also with just that. Sure there are alot of OFWs, there are tourists also especially from the neighboring asian countries but do you think, in the next 4 or 5 years the remaining 9Million of the 15M capacity of T3 will fill the airport up just like that when the trend of it doesn't really increasing near 2 million mark per year. It would take more than 4 years to fill in the full 15 million capacity so that terminal building would still be good for the next 12 years atleast. So, I don't judge by the picture itself because the picture makes it looks smaller than it is.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #402
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

we haven't really seen T3's full performance. building a new airport in the future is inevitable but based on projected tourist influx and filipinos coming in and out of the country T3 will be enough for the nex 10 years.

we should focus more on the roads and trains going to and out of T3 that would connect to key cities and hotels. image is a must if we want those tourists to grow each year. if it happens, that's the time we should build a new and grander airport.
manila_eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #403
mwg12a

Yeah, that's what I am trying to say. But then again, that influx in tourists might change now that there is this soaring high prices of gas and with no alternative fuel for jet oil, things would probably change. And now, the impact on the US economy would affect a chain reaction all over the world would also affect those tourists figures and even returning Fil -US returnees to the Philippines.
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #404
crappypants
SPEED

Likes (Received): 1175

[QUOTE=mwg12a;25924124

crappypants liked this post a million times
crappypants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #405
crappypants
SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
What you see once or twice in the airport doesn't represent the actual national statistic. So, don't judge it also with just that. Sure there are alot of OFWs, there are tourists also especially from the neighboring asian countries but do you think, in the next 4 or 5 years the remaining 9Million of the 15M capacity of T3 will fill the airport up just like that when the trend of it doesn't really increasing near 2 million mark per year. It would take more than 4 years to fill in the full 15 million capacity so that terminal building would still be good for the next 12 years atleast. So, I don't judge by the picture itself because the picture makes it looks smaller than it is.
Ive seen it more than twice.

I thought the capacity was 13 million and not 15 billion.

I said in a few years it would be overcapacity, read my post again, so even if your calculation were four years til overcapacity, that qualifies under a few years.

passenger arrivals are increasing 20% yearly.

abu sayaf and mnlf will not stop that.

It's better to make your judgement once you actually see the airport for yourself.

Last edited by crappypants; September 30th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #406
mwg12a

O sige na nga pananalohin na kita baka mangurot ka ka diyan!!! he he

Yes, I know you have seen the terminal building, you did say it feels like it's congested already but? Did you forget that half of the terminal building remained closed to the public yet? Ha? missy??LOL

Right now the islamic extremists might not affect the influx of tourists but come another rounds of bombing here and there again would definitely shake the tourists influx there in the Philippines and it's not all impossible because there are still fighting going on, it's almost a never ending viscious cycle.

But I am not only pointing out the terrorists scare in the Philippines, I know it's somewhat stabilized somehow, atleast for now... but, I was also mentioning the current prices of crude oil that affects the asian and north american market. The soarking gas prices and increasing airline fares are also being felt in europe the past couple of years so, if we project 10 years more for T3 to reached it's maximum capacity, whether 13 or 15 M, the current global crisis would push that 10 years further back, see what I am saying? There is no need to build a huge airport in the Philippines considering DMIA T2 which would help ease out the congestions in NAIA, once DMIA T2 is operational you can feel a little bit of relief in NAIA and once and only once there is a real good access road and rail to Clark's DMIA, that is where then can plan on what they really wanted to do in NAIA. Hopefully they won't really close it fully and have it's domestic operations there and somehow maybe can still have regional connection within neighboring asian countries.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #407
crappypants
SPEED

bottomline we need a bigger airport down the line, be it DMIA or anywhere else, that will be the gateway to the PHils. and i don't see why there should be a reason why we can't built a spectacular one similar to our Asian neighbors. don't sell yourself short.
at kung gusto mo kong panalanohin, wag ka nang sumagot.

Old September 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #408
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 99

I think DMIA is being posted like that. Clark authorities I believe has given their American partners to develope the first phase of the airport. Seriously, it's tough to put up another airport in Manila due to the land area constraint. The best and cheaper way is to use DMIA its full potential.
manila_eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #409
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappypants View Post
bottomline we need a bigger airport down the line, be it DMIA or anywhere else, that will be the gateway to the PHils. and i don't see why there should be a reason why we can't built a spectacular one similar to our Asian neighbors. don't sell yourself short.
if you talk to a more expert on these issues, you don't build an airport that is wayyy too big for the demand. it's hard and expensive to maintain a terminal that is under utilized. For one thing, the Philippine government isn't that well off yet. When you build a terminal, it should take in consideration about the future, it means it should be expandable. Even huge countries like the US never build an airport that is huge because other countries are building huge airports, it goes with the demand and you do it little by little not all at once. This is not a shopping mall where you build and people would come in, it doesnt work that way.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #410
crappypants
SPEED

Quote:
if you talk to a more expert on these issues, you don't build an airport that is wayyy too big for the demand. it's hard and expensive to maintain a terminal that is under utilized. For one thing, the Philippine government isn't that well off yet. When you build a terminal, it should take in consideration about the future, it means it should be expandable. Even huge countries like the US never build an airport that is huge because other countries are building huge airports, it goes with the demand and you do it little by little not all at once. This is not a shopping mall where you build and people would come in, it doesnt work that way.
who said the demand is not there, the demand is already there. and why would it be underutilized?
THe PHil. govt. is well off. it just squanders all its coffers on corruption and mismanagement.
So the US doesn't build a big airport that means we don't need one?
We have a hundred million people and a fast growing economy, passenger volume is increasing yearly. I just read in another article that NAIA 3 is already 60% capacity just with the three domestic airlines operating in it.
Thank you for explaining that an airport is not a shopping mall and it doesn't work that way, I didn't know that.

Last edited by crappypants; October 2nd, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #411
mwg12a

The think that the international passenger capacity is not nearing 13 million mark yet, why would we build another terminal building now that is as big as Changi or HK airport??? Those terminal building are good for 50 million passengers already and is capable of handling more... Those airports are a hub and transit point of different internaitonal destinations while the Philippines is mostly the end point or all international arrival. Why would we build an airport exactly as the same as the neighboring asian countries when the passenger activities in NAIA has the total of 20 Million in both international and domestic travel. Isn't that kind of stupid to build a massive airport when it is not needed? Maybe a terminal building that is good for 30 million yes that is capabable of handling expansion for the future. DMIA is building a terminal building good for 7million passengers yearly which is slightly bigger than NAIA T1 which is just wise considering the demand in that area when their passenger activity there is just over a million passenger yearly. Besides, who are you to even predict the need of a major terminal building? I think the authority for that here is arianspace who works in the field and knows the ins and out of the airline industry.

BKK airport is actually under utilized, their airport can probably sustain it since they are a hub and a transit point for all international travel to the middleast and europe, does Manila has that same capability yet? No, not yet atleast... why would we build one like BKK? DMIA is there and is building another airport that's like I said can handle 7M passengers yearly and is expandable, DMIA alone would help decongesting NAIA, why else so we need to build a mega airport. And yes, the US doesn't build airport that is in an excessive size why? Because they are smart in planning... They don't copy other airports just because asian countries are obsessed with building massive structures like an airport, but then again, those other asian countries are more well off economically comparing to the Philippines.

I think I know what you were refering to about T3 is about 60% capacity, i've read that in the Philippine thread but we all know "inadequate" the news reporting in the Philippines half of the time, we'll have to find that article so it would probably be even more clearer, but I know I have run into that issue as well and there was a discussion about it in NAIA thread in SSC Phil page.

And BTW, you said it yourself, "squanders and mismanagement" within the Philippine government, how can we claim that the Philippines is really well off, especially that there is more and more increasing numbers of OFW, it means the Philippine government can't really provide jobs for the filipinos at home. The tourism industry there isn't as bad but comparing to thailand for instance, it's not even close to their level. the surge in passenger activities in the Philippines are mostly from domestic market , OFWs and filipinos living in North America, not from the tourists itself per se..

Last edited by mwg12a; October 2nd, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM   #412
crappypants
SPEED

What are you babbling about when did i mention about building a 50 million capacity airport? I said in a FEW years Naia 3 will be overcapacity and they will need a different airport to handle the passenger volume , if DMIA is being positioned to be the main gateway then so be it.
Re Phil. govt. there is a difference between can and won't . squandering and mismanagement falls under won't.
There will always be ofws as long as you have wage differences. Increasing ofws is a double edged sword, you have the brain drain but you also have increasing remittances, increasing revenue and economic activity, you also have more Filipinos increased awareness of what a progressive country should be. those OTHER ASIAN countries are not that far ahead over the Phils. our economy is growing 6% yearly. there is more economic activity now compared to when you were there years ago.
You need to go back and see for yourself before you judge the increasing tourists are not just ofws, balikbayans ,unless Filipinos turned white with blond hair or yellow with slanted eyes. Don't judge just based on the pictures it looks bigger than it is.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #413
hein
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Finally, someone noticed the UGLY signage of this Forex exchange booth.

Unfortunately, they still can't figure out how to match the font of the other signs in the airport (like below), JEEZ. What a waste of taxpayer's money

You can call it the 3 STOOGES syndrome.
hein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:11 AM   #414
mwg12a

Quote:
What are you babbling about when did i mention about building a 50 million capacity airport? I said in a FEW years Naia 3 will be overcapacity and they will need a different airport to handle the passenger volume , if DMIA is being positioned to be the main gateway then so be it.
Re Phil. govt. there is a difference between can and won't . squandering and mismanagement falls under won't.
There will always be ofws as long as you have wage differences. Increasing ofws is a double edged sword, you have the brain drain but you also have increasing remittances, increasing revenue and economic activity, you also have more Filipinos increased awareness of what a progressive country should be. those OTHER ASIAN countries are not that far ahead over the Phils. our economy is growing 6% yearly. there is more economic activity now compared to when you were there years ago.
You need to go back and see for yourself before you judge the increasing tourists are not just ofws, balikbayans ,unless Filipinos turned white with blond hair or yellow with slanted eyes. Don't judge just based on the pictures it looks bigger than it is.
Weren't you the one who uttered the words "Why can't we build a spectacular airport just like our neighboring countries" and " Just because the US doesn't build big airports, it doesn't mean the Philippines cannot" Hello?? Knock knock!!!

Quote:
bottomline we need a bigger airport down the line, ..... and i don't see why there should be a reason why we can't built a spectacular one similar to our Asian neighbors. don't sell yourself short.
Quote:
who said the demand is not there, the demand is already there. and why would it be underutilized?

So the US doesn't build a big airport that means we don't need one?
We have a hundred million people and a fast growing economy, passenger volume is increasing yearly.
Where is really the growth there when up to now and yearly, there are still millions of OFWs working overseas. The Philippine government can't provide a descent jobs in the Philippines, up to now and has still looking for means to send more fililipinos overseas . You call that progress??? South Korea and Ireland use to send their citizens overseas for work. They all came back already because of more job availability and poverty has decreased. Is that happening in the Philippines? Sure, there may a report that there is a bit of progress but somehow, there are still not enough jobs in the Philippines. There are more jobs done in sending filipinos overseas than convincing more and more investors in the Philippines and filipinos themselves investing and creating more businesses within the country.

Weren't you the one who wishes to have a humongous terminal building similar to what our asian countries have, which yes, more than 50M capacity, you said it yourself like our asian neighbor. The surge of tourists, investments and transit point in those countries are not similar to the Philippines, while we can't deny that there is an increase in passenger activities in the Philippines, thanks to LCCs like 5J, there are more filipinos traveling now but that is still not surmounting the amount of increase in the neighboring asian countries passenger activities where there are a big number of airlines using those keyppoints as a hub and a transit point for international travel.

And yes, I have visited the Philippines in recent years so I've seen if there are really tourists or asian students enrolled in Philippine english language teaching schoo.

BTW??? where are you really??? your stance on many things are really confusing, sometimes you pass as you are a US citizen residing the Philippines sometimes you pass as a filipino residing in the Phililppines who knows whole heartedly what is going on in the Philippines as part of your daily life??

Last edited by mwg12a; October 3rd, 2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #415
mwg12a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
Finally, someone noticed the UGLY signage of this Forex exchange booth.

Unfortunately, they still can't figure out how to match the font of the other signs in the airport (like below), JEEZ. What a waste of taxpayer's money

You can call it the 3 STOOGES syndrome.
There is only two things here to say. 1. Newly openned and 2. Everything is temporary due to uncertainty as to when the terminal will be fully operational, that is when the Philippine government "Pay up" (Frapport with their dues).

Questions though. What is your obsession about this signage????You've been ranting about it since day one...LOL Interior decorator ka ba?? bading ka ba??? Do you not read news or you're too lazy to read a news article in full. Actually?? Those signage doesn't really look bad , what match were you wishing to do??? Color Scheme? Docoration? Signage looks appropriate to me...

I think all the signage all over looks the same, the pictures you were looking at just makes it looks different because of the lighthing system and the camera used. Those who has been in T3 should be the ones who has more comment on all these, I don't think you were ever in it...
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM   #416
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

His obsessions are on the every single fault of the airport.

He doesn't care about the nice appearance of the airport as long as there are faults he can bash on.

So IMO, it's best to disregard his posts unless he shouts in which he deserves the CAPS LOCK unmotivational poster.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM   #417
crappypants
SPEED

Quote:
Weren't you the one who uttered the words "Why can't we build a spectacular airport just like our neighboring countries" and " Just because the US doesn't build big airports, it doesn't mean the Philippines cannot" Hello?? Knock knock!!!

Where is really the growth there when up to now and yearly, there are still millions of OFWs working overseas. The Philippine government can't provide a descent jobs in the Philippines, up to now and has still looking for means to send more fililipinos overseas . You call that progress??? South Korea and Ireland use to send their citizens overseas for work. They all came back already because of more job availability and poverty has decreased. Is that happening in the Philippines? Sure, there may a report that there is a bit of progress but somehow, there are still not enough jobs in the Philippines. There are more jobs done in sending filipinos overseas than convincing more and more investors in the Philippines and filipinos themselves investing and creating more businesses within the country.

Weren't you the one who wishes to have a humongous terminal building similar to what our asian countries have, which yes, more than 50M capacity, you said it yourself like our asian neighbor. The surge of tourists, investments and transit point in those countries are not similar to the Philippines, while we can't deny that there is an increase in passenger activities in the Philippines, thanks to LCCs like 5J, there are more filipinos traveling now but that is still not surmounting the amount of increase in the neighboring asian countries passenger activities where there are a big number of airlines using those keyppoints as a hub and a transit point for international travel.

And yes, I have visited the Philippines in recent years so I've seen if there are really tourists or asian students enrolled in Philippine english language teaching schoo.

BTW??? where are you really??? your stance on many things are really confusing, sometimes you pass as you are a US citizen residing the Philippines sometimes you pass as a filipino residing in the Phililppines who knows whole heartedly what is going on in the Philippines as part of your daily life??
you are exaggerating, you can build a bigger , better airport without it being 50 million capacity. You simply refuse to acknowledge that my point was in a few years this airport will be over capacity therefore we will have the same congestion problems as Naia 1 . and no I don't believe you have been in the Phils in recent years because you have no idea what you're talking about, you are merely guessing and speculating because if you reallly knew you would realize how passenger volume in Naia is increasing rapidly, yearly, the increase in tourist arrivals are not just Korean students trying to learn English they're dirty old Japanese looking for a good time, they're families of filipina ladies married to western men, they're balikbayans, they're business people, they're independent travellers, backpackers, honeymooners, Korean and Chinese casino and golf players.

and what does my residency status have to do with any of this?

Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM   #418
mwg12a

aah shuuup !!! LMAO

I am basing my opinion on what the experts expressed before missy, ones who work in the airline industry. DMIA is already slated to build a new terminal building which is good for 7 million passengers yearly. NAIA's T3 just openned and has not even break considering the overvalue of the said terminal, they can't afford to be hasty and not plan carefully. Doesn't it that alot of people here especially in SSC Phil thread were pushing a humongous terminal in DMIA right away? What are they getting now? A terminal building that is slightly smaller than NAIA's T2. Why? the physical and passenger activities in that area there does not warrant a terminal building much larger than NAIA's T3. So, why build a third airport already? That's not a very careful planning.

I asked about your permanent physical location as if you are really very well versed in the Philippine tourism industry as if you are more of a resident of the Philippine rather than the US long enough to know the facts in the Philippines whole heartedly and 100% factual.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #419
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

You needa calm down please.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM   #420
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

what are the chances of PAL upstaging other carriers in the region? if it does, it might increase passenger traffic in NAIA
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport