daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #41
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 27

Hallelueah finally some more pics of Terminal 1! Never been there in 11 years ever since we began taking PAL and began to use Terminal 2.

I'll try to see if I can dig up some of my own to contribute to this thread.
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #42
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh1
Heres a Great Photo of Terminal 3

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=428291
Thanks for the link ewh1. I visited it and the photo is really beautiful. Guys visit this also.
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #43
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblade
Hallelueah finally some more pics of Terminal 1! Never been there in 11 years ever since we began taking PAL and began to use Terminal 2.

Hi skyblade, if you have photos of naia do you mind if i will e-mail it to the owner of manila_naia website to put it on his website too with your name also.
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #44
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh1
Heres a Great Photo of Terminal 3

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=428291
That's one nice photo of NAIA 3, too bad there isn't any new pics of the interiors. Can't wait till it opens.
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #45
normandb
BANNED

The photo is beautiful but I dont see the exterior of naia-3 as beautiful structure. It lacks of proportionality, the grey color is pretty boring, I don't like the rooftops of the main terminal and concourses because it is not a clean design unlike in terminal 2 where it is really a beautiful roof, they should have use a lot of glass and steels in the walls just like in terminal 2. They should have extended the pointed roofs of the main terminal to cover the entire terminal and not just the part of the check in area.

What I found beautiful in this terminal building is its interior, it is definitely world class, afterall the passengers will going to use the terminal inside and not outside.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #46
normandb
BANNED

the best shot of exterior of naia-3 is in front of its contact gates and in front of the main terminal but the top view for me personally i dont like it.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #47
HKT

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblade

So was I, My family and I did serveral times transit in MNL in the past 10 years to HNL, and SFO from HKG using Philippine Airlines. The last time we used the Terminal 1 was back in 1996. Afterwards, it was already in Terminal 2. I remember Terminal 1 still had those Italian made "Flip Dot" Destination sign.

Will Terminal 1 be still in use once Terminal 3 is open? I hope they will renovate it rather than tearing it down...
HKT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #48
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKT
So was I, My family and I did serveral times transit in MNL in the past 10 years to HNL, and SFO from HKG using Philippine Airlines. The last time we used the Terminal 1 was back in 1996. Afterwards, it was already in Terminal 2. I remember Terminal 1 still had those Italian made "Flip Dot" Destination sign.

Will Terminal 1 be still in use once Terminal 3 is open? I hope they will renovate it rather than tearing it down...
Once terminal 3 opens, they are planning to convert terminal 1 into cargo terminal or shopping mall. But for sure Terminal 1 will still be there but no longer be for passenger use.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #49
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy
Once terminal 3 opens, they are planning to convert terminal 1 into cargo terminal or shopping mall. But for sure Terminal 1 will still be there but no longer be for passenger use.
Actually Alfonso Cusi (the Airport Manager) said that he wants the Terminal 1 to be converted into a Conference/Exibition Hall in addition to the idea of a cargo terminal like you said and then the NAIA 1 PARKING LOTS to be converted to a mall (but of course with a private developer)
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #50
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Actually Alfonso Cusi (the Airport Manager) said that he wants the Terminal 1 to be converted into a Conference/Exibition Hall in addition to the idea of a cargo terminal like you said and then the NAIA 1 PARKING LOTS to be converted to a mall (but of course with a private developer)
Thanks for the clarification. I hope they will also change the interior to look like the interior of PICC.
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #51
huistenmark

Likes (Received): 0

I thought NAIA terminal 1 will be converted into a domestic terminal??

i think its about time that the domestic travellers (not flying PAL) get a proper terminal!!
huistenmark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #52
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by huistenmark
I thought NAIA terminal 1 will be converted into a domestic terminal??

i think its about time that the domestic travellers (not flying PAL) get a proper terminal!!
Technically, NAIA-1 will become a domestic terminal if PAL decides to stay in terminal 2. When PAL moves to t-3 (they have to at some point, as they've maxed out T2's capacity), all domestic flights will move to t-2, so that shameful ill-maintained terminal 1 gets decomissioned and never inflicts pain to a single passenger ever again
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #53
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy
...they should have use a lot of glass and steels in the walls just like in terminal 2...
The last thing any Filipino wants when they're inside a building is to be sitting with the sun on them, I think less glass was a great idea in this place. Plus it would use less electricity for the AC trying to maintain the temp.
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #54
612bv3

Terminal 2 isn't that bad but I hate walking down the stairs with my luggage.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #55
normandb
BANNED

what do you think at the roof top of the terminal 3? they should come up with a nice design of the roof of the concourses and the other end of the terminal. It is a roof deck.
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #56
612bv3

^ Are you asking me? If yes, I would like something that looks like the one San Francisco International Terminal has, just look at it, it's beautiful. I Wish NAIA looks like this.

NAIA looks nice too, but it could've looked better, but I think it looks beautiful too. According to SOM, "the new Terminal responds to the Philippine climate by sheltering the departure curbside area with an extensive canopy. This dramatic linear enclosure also covers the curbside areas of the Fiesta Duty Free Mall and the Hotel's courtyard-like drop-off area. It gives a sense of unity to the entire complex, providing shade and weather protection for passengers and visitors on a year-round basis." SOM designed both SF International Terminal and NAIA 3.

Old March 9th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #57
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

I agree with the point 612bv3 makes. Manilas New terminal 3 at NAIA is very good indeed, however I just feel that its not as good as it could have been, it falls below the standards of other Asian airports such as Incheon or Hong Kong ... or Bangkoks new airport. Im also not entirely keen on the new terminal 2 ... although it does appear to have modern facilities the exterior design i feel could have been better.

Having said that I also feel that these are very good developments for the philippines ... and filipinos should be proud of their new terminals !!

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #58
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 317

Terminal 2 is gorgeous for a domestic airport. It is perfect for domestic flights, since almost all domestic flights hub at Manila. Terminal 3 is a different story. While the design could be better, Manila is less of a hub, and more of a terminating destination. The terminal was designed to get people out into the city as fast as possible, and vice versa. Thus, it doesn't cater to transit passengers as much, so its design is more functional in nature.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #59
huistenmark

Likes (Received): 0

Will there be a shuttle service between T3 and the two older terminals??

just wondering why the MIAA haven't set up a shuttle service..
huistenmark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #60
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB
I agree with the point 612bv3 makes. Manilas New terminal 3 at NAIA is very good indeed, however I just feel that its not as good as it could have been, it falls below the standards of other Asian airports such as Incheon or Hong Kong ... or Bangkoks new airport. Im also not entirely keen on the new terminal 2 ... although it does appear to have modern facilities the exterior design i feel could have been better.

Having said that I also feel that these are very good developments for the philippines ... and filipinos should be proud of their new terminals !!
I think the main reason to why T2 and T3 isnt up to the standards to HK and Bangkoks new airports is because T2 and T3 is actually based on an old expansion study made by Aeroports de Paris in 1991/1992. The totally brand new airport that should compete with other new airport hubs in Asia is DMIA in Clark. This should start construction within the decade and progress in phases towards 2020 NAIA is already too close to the city and is too small and busy to really have a significant expansion like other airports in the region. And another thing is simply because the RP government is not as financially sound as other countries
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport