daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #661
joker0153

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I don't understand why there is not a dedicated road for free shuttle buses, or even better some kind of monorail, around the airport's perimeter. I realize it's a poor country, but this is just kind of ridiculous.
It is ridiculous. The cynical part of me thinks its due to airport taxis losing customers even just for inter-terminal transfers.
joker0153 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #662
ManilaBoy45

fieldsofdreams liked this post
ManilaBoy45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #663
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker0153 View Post
It is ridiculous. The cynical part of me thinks its due to airport taxis losing customers even just for inter-terminal transfers.
I think one of the key reasons is the fares. Some taxi drivers take advantage of foreign transit passengers wanting to get between terminals so that they can rake in "more money" from them, which is one of the reasons of inefficiencies in the transit process. It's all about "making revenues" at the expense of many poor travelers... and I believe that the practice could end if the new links connecting all the terminals (either by foot or through underground rail tracks) are established.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #664
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I think one of the key reasons is the fares. Some taxi drivers take advantage of foreign transit passengers wanting to get between terminals so that they can rake in "more money" from them, which is one of the reasons of inefficiencies in the transit process. It's all about "making revenues" at the expense of many poor travelers... and I believe that the practice could end if the new links connecting all the terminals (either by foot or through underground rail tracks) are established.
You said it, so taxi drivers can rip off travellers with their supposebily "broken" & attempts to charge foreign travellers triple the price on a 5 minute taxi ride...

saintm liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #665
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I know that scheme because I've lived in Manila for many, many years. I've been ripped off by some taxi drivers myself too, thinking that I'm riding a city taxi, but, when it comes to the main thoroughfares, the driver will charge me much more per kilometer (since he said at the end, "I'm an Airport Taxi")... yet, nowhere in that taxi is obvious that I rode an Airport Taxi.

If I were you, and you want to transfer between terminals, I'd be better off with the shuttle van. You can arrange for one upon arrival (make sure you tell them your terminal destination and your flight time so that they can get you to the right terminal quicker), and ensure that you have some pesos on hand so that they will assume that you're a local. If you've got concerns, you can always ask someone to text a complaint for you for ripped off fares (because those would be shown on local media).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #666
adzschon

Likes (Received): 0

ha ha! we are not poor country. it's just all the money goes to those politician's pockets. we can very well afford anything.
besides all government officials are not looking in the futre. all solutions are in this country are present oriented.
adzschon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #667
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Or maybe... in the past?

Moving along, Delta Airlines will be canceling its direct Manila-Detroit (via Nagoya) service, truncating it to operate as Detroit-Nagoya v.v. only. And that flight will be downgauged from a B747-400 service to become an A330-200. In this case, Manila's only Delta link left will be its daily Manila-Tokyo (Narita) service, which currently continues on to New York-JFK (with an aircraft change).

Old August 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #668
st_holysinner

Likes (Received): 75

PH inks air agreement with South Africa

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines has signed a new air agreement with South Africa, the Civil Aeronautics Board said.

CAB executive director Carmelo Arcilla said the memorandum of understanding on air services would provide 7 flights a week for the both the Philippines and South Africa.

He noted there are no current operators in the market, although South African Airlines has expressed interest in developing the market as part of its Asian expansion.

"Air services between the Philippines and South Africa would improve our aviation network and connect us to the emerging markets of Africa," Arcilla said.

The CAB official also noted it was South Africa that initiated the air talks.

--- hope to see South African Airlines soon in Manila.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...t-south-africa
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #669
ManilaBoy45

Emirates Boeing 777-300 Aircraft at NAIA T3 this Friday Morning (08/15/14) ...

(Photos:Rajiv Murjani @ PPSG)

anonymous_filipino, shakman liked this post
ManilaBoy45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #670
ManilaBoy45

NAIA T3 Multi Level Parking Garage is Now Open to the Public ...

Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:55 AM   #671
ManilaBoy45

Light Plane Makes Emergency Landing at NAIA

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/631883/...anding-at-naia

7:19 pm | Friday, August 22nd, 2014

MANILA—A light plane bound for Sangley Point in Cavite was forced to make an emergency landing on one of the runways of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Friday afternoon after its landing gear malfunctioned.Carlos Mundo, acting supervisor of the Manila Control Tower, said the landing gear of the Beechcraft malfunctioned, prompting its pilot Sherwin Rala and co-pilot Roñela Acuña to radio the tower for an emergency landing at the NAIA Runway 13/31 past 4 p.m.The plane, which was carrying fish products, came from Busuanga in Palawan and was supposed to land in Sangley Point.“It was able to safely land at 4:30 p.m. The two pilots on board are also safe,” Mundo said in a telephone interview.Mundo explained that even without the landing gear, the aircraft was able to do a “belly landing” using its belly as the primary landing device.The Manila International Airport Authority said while the aircraft recovery and clearing operations were under way, flight operations at the affected runway were temporarily suspended.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:55 AM   #672
ManilaBoy45

Aquino to Receive Report on NAIA T3 Bombing Attempt

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/634383/...ombing-attempt

4:15 pm | Monday, September 1st, 2014

MANILA, Philippines – Following a foiled car bombing attempt at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia), Malacañang on Monday said President Benigno Aquino III was on top of the situation.“President has been informed of (the) incident at Naia this morning. Authorities (Department of Justice and the National Bureau of Investigation were) directed to submit (a) report,” Communications Secretary Herminio “Sonny” Coloma Jr. said in a text message to media.Radyo Inquirer 990AM said that three suspects were arrested after a Toyota Revo allegedly loaded with an improvised explosive was found abandoned at Parking B of Naia’s Terminal 3.The Philippine National Police Aviation Security Group (PNP ASG) declined to give details as the case has already been turned over to the NBI.
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #673
st_holysinner

Likes (Received): 75

Cathay Pacific moves flights and operations to NAIA 3
Latest update: 08 Sep 2014 0:00 GMT

In a bid to better serve its passengers, premium carrier Cathay Pacific will be moving its flights and operations to NAIA Terminal 3 beginning October 1, 2014.

The move to Manila’s largest airport will give passengers a more comfortable traveling experience, as the 65-hectare Terminal 3 provides for larger departure and arrival immigration halls, more seating areas, smoother flow from airport entrance and departure gates, and more diverse shopping and dining choices.

Other conveniences awaiting passengers include the terminal’s two-tiered design, which efficiently separate arrivals at the ground level and departures at the second level, minimizing congestion. Passenger processing is also centralized at the terminal’s head house while its 24 boarding gates can conveniently accommodate 4,000 peak hour one-way passengers. The parking area in front of the terminal also has space for over 1200 cars.

Cathay Pacific flies to Hong Kong and over 190 destinations worldwide, with flights to Boston, Manchester and Zurich to commence soon. It was recently awarded as the “World’s Best Airline” in the annual Skytrax World Airline Awards and is the only airline in the world to achieve the said feat four times.

Dragonair, Cathay Pacific’s sister airline, will maintain its flights and operations at NAIA Terminal 1 until further notice.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_P...nal-three.html
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #674
ManilaBoy45

Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:45 AM   #675
ManilaBoy45

Cathay Pacific Aircraft Arrival Ceremony with Water Canon at NAIA T3 on Wednesday Evening, 09/30/14 ...

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM   #676
different

Likes (Received): 6

Emirates to fly A380 to Manila.

Emirates will operate a one-off A380 service to Manila next Monday.

The Gulf carrier currently flies three-times daily to the Philippines capital. It first flew the Dubai to Manila route in 1990.

On October 7, an Emirates superjumbo will depart Dubai International Airport as EK334 at 0920 and arrive in Manila at 2210. Return flight EK8335 will leave Manila at 0115 the next day and land in in Dubai at 0540.

The flight is to mark the airline's move to the International Terminal (T3) at Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

Barry Brown, Emirates' divisional senior vice president, commercial operations east, said: "In 2013, Emirates welcomed over 820,000 passengers on its three daily Dubai to Manila services with a very high average seat factor.

"Bringing our flagship A380 to Manila is a fantastic way to celebrate our move to the new international terminal and also our commitment to the Philippines."

Emirates currently operates 53 A380s to 31 destinations. Click here to read our guide to the airline's superjumbo fleet.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...a380-to-manila
different no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #677
Skyckcty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8960

Philippine Flight Network - NAIA Cited As One of The World's Worst........

"In an all to familiar ritual, Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) received another rating as one of the world's worst airports, this time according to US website Cheat Sheet."

NAIA still could not shake off its not so pleasant tag.
Skyckcty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #678
chimpanzee911

Likes (Received): 2

I'm not surprised to see MNL in the list of world's worst airports.
I transited in MNL last week, and it was the worst transit experience I have ever had. My two flights were 12hrs apart, and I initially thought like in other airports I had been before, they would allow me to get back to the airside after getting off my 1st flight and going through security. However, they put me in a "transit" area, which basically had nothing besides some chairs, and only let me go 30 minutes prior to my 2nd flight. I felt like a criminal hold in jail because there was nothing to do there. I can't really understand this policy as if a transit passenger stay airside, that passenger is very likely to spend money on foods, drinks, etc.
I wasted 11.5hrs in the empty transit area and promise to myself not to transit in the Philippines again.
chimpanzee911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #679
medviation
Professional Ass Kicker

Likes (Received): 278

At the pace we're going, I expect NAIA to stay at the world's worst lists for the next 10-15 years.

I HATE NAIA
medviation está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #680
xxxriainxxx
Filipino.

Likes (Received): 3015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpanzee911 View Post
I'm not surprised to see MNL in the list of world's worst airports.
I transited in MNL last week, and it was the worst transit experience I have ever had. My two flights were 12hrs apart, and I initially thought like in other airports I had been before, they would allow me to get back to the airside after getting off my 1st flight and going through security. However, they put me in a "transit" area, which basically had nothing besides some chairs, and only let me go 30 minutes prior to my 2nd flight. I felt like a criminal hold in jail because there was nothing to do there. I can't really understand this policy as if a transit passenger stay airside, that passenger is very likely to spend money on foods, drinks, etc.
I wasted 11.5hrs in the empty transit area and promise to myself not to transit in the Philippines again.

The same happens when you transit through some US airports for some nationals. If you have been through KTM, TAS, CAI, MLE, and many other airports then you would have a different perspective.
xxxriainxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport