daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #61
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huistenmark
Will there be a shuttle service between T3 and the two older terminals??

just wondering why the MIAA haven't set up a shuttle service..

Yes there will be similar with this image above but with different name and logo of course. Manila International Airport uses this type of shuttle bus and they currently bought new ones. The same shuttle bus use in transporting passenger from terminal to remote parking stand of aircraft will be use as a shuttle service from T3 to T2. There is no need to service by shuttle bus the T1 since it will be close for passenger use because its operation will move to T3 and T1 will be converted into Exhibition/Convention Center.

@HasanB. Greyx is correct. The NAIA Terminal 3 is just an expansion in NAIA and only a passenger terminal while in HK, KL, Bangkok, Incheon they build a new airport so NAIA 3 is not really comparable with these airports but in 15-20 years time the philippine gov't will open a new airport in Clark which is the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport, this will going to be a very big airport comparable to the big airport in East Asia. At this moment the passenger use of NAIA doesnt reach the 20 million passengers so there is no need at this moment to build a very big airport in Manila. We will need to wait 15-20 years.

Last edited by normandb; March 9th, 2005 at 10:23 PM.
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #62
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

The terminal looks quite good it has its own characteristics different than many other major airports. The bathrooms and the immigration desk could've been better. Tiles tend to get dirty very easily just look at the lines between the small tiles, it looks dirty already. Yellow for immigration desk? Hmm looks kinda odd,they reminded me of bees and the ceiling is kinda low.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #63
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Just curious does Philipine Airlines fly to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport?
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #64
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 453

No, PAL does not fly to Guangzhou. They fly to Shanghai, Xiamen, Hong Kong and Taipei. Also to Macau, but it's a codeshare flight with Air Macau.
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #65
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
The terminal looks quite good it has its own characteristics different than many other major airports. The bathrooms and the immigration desk could've been better. Tiles tend to get dirty very easily just look at the lines between the small tiles, it looks dirty already. Yellow for immigration desk? Hmm looks kinda odd,they reminded me of bees and the ceiling is kinda low.

The ceiling is not low it is actually high. The image above is the check-in area.

This area with low ceiling is the immigration area.

Last edited by normandb; March 21st, 2005 at 02:45 AM.
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #66
normandb
BANNED

NAIA TERMINAL 3

NAIA TERMINAL 2 (Right Wing Concourse)

NAIA TERMINAL 2 (Left Wing Concourse)

NAIA TERMINAL 1
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #67
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Well, the yellow color is suppposedly reminiscent of the EDSA revolution. From what I've heard, people were wearing yellow to welcome Ninoy Aquino home outside the airport. However, Ninoy Aquino was assassinated the minute he stepped off the tarmac, which is why its called the NAIA today.

While those ugly counters have an excuse for being so gaudy, the toilets don't. The tiles are indeed messed up, but then again, this isn't a country that's known for its spectacular public toilets. The design of the tiles is similar to that of HKIA. Then again, as long as its kept clean, it should be okay. After all, HKIA's bathroom walls don't look that bad.
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #68
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 453

I kinda like the yellow colored immigration counters, it's an "attention getter" to the clueless traveller. As long as they keep the maintenance on it and keep it clean and orderly, it'll be just fine.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #69
normandb
BANNED

Aerial shot of the airport
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=248308
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #70
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

FedEx allots US$450m for Philippine hub

SUBIC, Freeport Zone - The world's largest cargo forwarder Federal Express (FedEx), has allotted US$450 million to relocate its hub in Asia by 2007 to the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Clark, Pampanga, from its present site at the Subic Bay International Airport (SBIA).

Although FedEx's 12-year lease contract with the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority is not set to expire until 2007, the firm needs to start constructing its new hub in Clark this year to ensure the smooth transition of its cargo operations.

Adelberto Yap, president and chief executive officer of Clark International Airport Corp (CIAC), said FedEx is committed to maintain its presence at Subic for two years after 2007 in order to scale down operations there.

Yap said FedEx decided to transfer to a 42-by-45-hectare site at Clark because the space it occupies in Subic is not big enough to accommodate its expansion programs.

The company had to leave Subic because it could no longer expand, Yap said. Subic is primarily for port terminals, he added.

The CIAC president will go to Memphis, Tennessee, where FedEx is based, to have a 25-year lease contract signed for the new site.

FedEx chose the Philippines over China because of the cheap but skilled labor available in the country, Yap said. FedEx also seems to like the work culture of the Filipinos, who can adopt readily to working with Americans.

The company also chose the Philippines over China because they prefer doing business with the Philippine government, added Yap.

He pointed out that at Clark there is already a two-runway capacity built by the Americans, so they can start operations right away, unlike in Guangzhou, China, where this system would still have to be built.

In August 2003, FedEx signed a letter of intent with the Guangzhou Airport Authority for the supposed relocation of its hub from the Philippines after transport officials here reportedly junked their US counterparts' demand to allow seventh freedom operations in the country in July 2003.

Seventh freedom rights allow a carrier to fly to other destinations from a particular hub without first passing its home base. The Philippines said this was a violation of the constitution and the Philippine-US Air Transport agreement.

To avert FedEx's move, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed Executive Order 243 in December 2003 declaring open skies in cargo in SBIA and DMIA.

Subic Bay became FedEx's Asia-Pacific hub in September 1995, connecting 19 key Asian cities.

The hub enables overnight delivery to the US west coast from Penang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and East Timor.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diosdado Macapagal Int'l Airport in Clark, Pampanga isn't exactly in Manila - Ninoy Aquino Int'l so this isn't totally related to the thread, but DMIA is poised to become the Philippines' future premiere airport (or one of two prime airports alongside the current Manila - NAIA). it is located a bit north of Metro Manila and the capital city and used to be an airbase of the US Air Force until they moved out in the early 1990s - leaving behind two big NASA shuttle-capable runways (or at least one of the two is) and this huge mass of open land. it is presently home to UPS's Intra-Asian Hub.

FedEx's current Asian hub at Subic Bay Int'l Airport is several kilometers southwest (I believe) of DMIA. Guangzhou, China and DMIA were both vying for FedEx's future relocation, but according to this article, DMIA won it. so yeah... maybe it has something to do with competition against UPS...?
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #71
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent-minded
FedEx's current Asian hub at Subic Bay Int'l Airport is several kilometers southwest (I believe) of DMIA. Guangzhou, China and DMIA were both vying for FedEx's future relocation, but according to this article, DMIA won it. so yeah... maybe it has something to do with competition against UPS...?
Wow. A very healthy competition bet. FedEx and UPS is really good for DMIA.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #72
leauparkenzoguy
Kenzo

I thought FEDEX will be moving to CHINA
leauparkenzoguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #73
Solblanc
hot

^ the article just said that FedEx chose DMIA over Guangzhou...

anyways, NEW T3 PICS!

http://203.160.183.226/miaa/T3/photo.asp
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #74
normandb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc
Thanks for the link solblanc.

HEY PEOPLE VISIT THE NEW WEBSITE OF OUR NEW AIRPORT TERMINAL
http://203.160.183.226/miaa/T3/index.asp
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #75
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

ok done the terminal complex in and out looks so amazingly beautiful cant wait to go home this november
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #76
normandb
BANNED

Now we are ready and proud to be included in the world's best or region's best airport. Is there really a hotel inside the terminal 3? anyone?
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #77
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

i dont think so but hope they could provide some overnight lounges for transit visitors waiting for their connecting flights, wht abt the phillipine village hotel??? is that still open??? hope they could build a new airport hotel that can be link to the new terminal for the passengers convenience
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #78
Solblanc
hot

megaworld is building a place next to T3 that will serve as a hotel, among other things. Besides, T3 is a stone's throw away from Makati, so there will be plenty of hotels to choose from.

I wouldn't call T3 as one of the region's best, as it doesn't exactly compete with HKIA, KLIA, Incheon, Changi, and Suvarnabhumi yet, especially in terms of design. But I'm happy that we get a change from terminal 1. We'll see how well T3 does once it opens. It doesn't really matter how pretty the structure is, but how efficient the airport is run (a good comparison would be Changi and Charles de Gaulle. Both are pretty old, both have nice structures and interiors, yet one is a living hell to go through, while the other is one of the sweetest places on earth )
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #79
absent-minded

here are the images from the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) website...
all images are copyright to MIAA.

NINOY AQUINO INT'L AIRPORT - TERMINAL 3

FACADE

DEPARTURES

Check-In Counters

Departures Concourse

Gate Ramp to Airbridge

ARRIVALS

Baggage Carousels

Customs Counters

Exterior

APRON

ROADWAYS

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #80
Solblanc
hot

thanks for rehosting the pics! they're wonderful...

Tags
manila, south asian hub airport